Let's Eat & Drink - Vietnamese Cuisine, Foods & Drinks (˘▽˘)っ♨ & (*^◇^)_旦

Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
Tết Bính Thân is the whole name for Tết this year. Bính is categorized in fire element group & Thân is a term used meaning monkey, one of the twelve animal signs.

Many traditions! Weeks leading up to Tet, on Tet & days after Tet there are many traditions. Tet is a 3 days holiday :dance2:. If you live outside of Vietnam & in America, Tet could be a holiday for a month :lol:.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Lol that's like songkran for us cus we celebrate with Laos people too and they have so many festival that we literally celebrate every weekend in April. I just go for the food but come home drench and sometime my hair get "shampoo" by shaving cream lol.

I also love chinese new year cus I get red envelopes from my best friend's parents :)

Ms.Zoe

Shaving cream is used for what? In game booths?

One of the traditions for Tet is passing out or receiving lì xì (red envelopes) :lol:.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
No, the kids spray shaving creams on each other and sometime unlucky strangers :( , somehow that unlucky one is always me lol.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Ms.Zoe said:
@Maya - Hehe...practice makes perfect :dance2:...hoping your second try will be a success *fingers crossed...I love to post photos lol...that is so cool with two colored sesame seeds :clap:.

OK, I'm back for an update :bhehe:  forgot to update on my trail and error with this sesame ball stuffs.

Finally I figure it out.  The dough needs a touch of sugar and also the water has to be warm to semi hot, not cold water. For the dough to be light, it has to rest for few hours, also is best to use real potato instead of the potato starch.  The oil for frying has to be on very low and once the sesame ball started to puff up, then you have to turn the stove up to medium low, then on the last couple of minutes turn up to medium high. You can also uses chopsticks to squeeze out the airs from the ball so it doesn't burst or exploded when the heat is on high. VIOLA! Perfect sesame balls!  :phew:  :dance1:

Onto my new experiment ... Kanom Krok.  I can never get the right consistency :scratchhead2:  If anyone made this, please share your recipe secret, thank you. :wink:

cr.as tagged

Ms.Zoe

Congrats on your perfect sesame balls @Maya!!! Thank you for the helpful tips!

I don't have any recipe secrets for Kanom Krok, first time I heard about it.

Ms.Zoe

Foods are like the most well talked subject for any holidays lol.

So many foods for Tet as well then there are the music, the traditional attires, the li xis, the carnival games, the flowers, the fruits, the markets, the spirit of Tet, the family gatherings, the well wishes, the respect for your ancestors, the moment between the old & new years & etc....an endless list lol.

@Mew, you could share foods for Chinese New Year. I would like to know :).

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
I'm not sure on what food is a tradition for Chinese New Years but I notice that we have boiled whole chicken every year lol. Actually that seems to be the tradition for all dinners lol.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
I love chick fil a but I only treat it as a once a month luxury lol. I think I'll make steamed soy sauce chicken for dinner today :) but first banh beo and banh coun for lunch!

Ms.Zoe

Chick fil a is once in a few months luxury for me lol. It has been a while since I had fast foods. So glad that McDonald has all day breakfast menu. I like their breakfast menu most. I have not had their breakfast for a long time. Will order some this coming week lol.

Yesterday coincidentally I saw a short clip of a chicken farm in Texas. Must be thousands & thousands of chicken in there & the little yellow chicks are so cute! Just so sad that they will become food :(.

How do you make that chicken dish?

I have not had banh beo or banh cuon for a while, I want some now, but I could not lol. Today like almost every Sunday, I am a vegetarian hehe.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Oh your vegetarian day is Sunday? Mine is usually Friday lol.

I stuff my chicken (whole) with ginger, onions, and garlic then I rub a mixture of dark soysauce with light soysauce all over the chicken until it gets a good complete cover. After that I just steam it for about an 45mins to an hr depending on how big your chicken is and the quality of it. I only buy organic chicken so it cooks faster therefore only takes me 45 mins on med heat. I like bamboo steamer because it just taste better for some odd reason.

Ms.Zoe

@Mew - Yes, almost every Sunday & 2 mandatory days in a month & sometimes one of these 2 days falls into a Sunday so 2/3 or more vegetarian days (sometimes I just like to eat vegetarian foods because I get bored of meats & seafoods lol) for me.

Now, I also try to avoid buying, cooking then eating live products/foods (I admit this is tough) & anything that have a life forming inside it like balut eggs. I stop eating balut eggs for many years & back then I did not even eat a lot of them.

Before when we bought live crabs home to cook, I would think what if a cyclop captures us humans & cooks us :faint:...hehehe.

Your steamed soy sauce chicken's recipe is quick & not difficult to make.

Ms.Zoe

This is that OMG burger :lol:. Would be great if one could just appear right in front of me right now lol.

Cr as tagged

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Dang that burger lol definitely an omg lol.

I don't cook live stuff either so no I don't cook crabs, lobsters, or crawfish. I also don't eat balut anymore. Ever since I found out what they are as I got older, I refuse to eat them.

Ms.Zoe

I might make my own version of an OMG burger lol. I did made my own version of Portobello mushroom burger & it was :yummy: yummy. I even took photos of it, in fact it was the very first burger I ever made :loool:, I was inspired after watching a vegetarian cooking show on Portobello mushroom :lol:.

Ms.Zoe

I am so proud of Pho. It help lots of families earn a living & inspire so many new and different kinds of foods.

Phumplings, a hybrid of Pho & dumplings.

Phorrito - Pho & burrito

Pho burger

Cr as tagged, Peter Pham & to other rightful owners