Let's Eat & Drink - Vietnamese Cuisine, Foods & Drinks (˘▽˘)っ♨ & (*^◇^)_旦

Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
Mmm Mmm Mmm...I'm so craving for Mam Tom Chua

This can be eaten with rice or vermicelli :drool:. I will have to make this.

With papaya :yummy:

Cr to rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

@Mew, the mesocarp (light orange outer layer part under the spikey skin) are discarded. The red flesh insides called the arils & the seeds' membranes/sacs are consumed. The arils coat the seeds & have very little taste, slightly sweet or not sweet. Although they may not taste delicious but they are good sources of antioxidants & beta carotene.

For Xoi Gac, the arils give it the rich reddish orange color when cooked with glutinous rice. Since the arils have little taste & sweetness, salt, sugar & coconut milk are added when making Xoi Gac.

I don't think I have ever eaten Xoi Gac made from fresh Gac fruit before in all my life lol :lol:, probably twice from frozen Gac fruit :cry: :lol:. But for those 2 times, the sweet & fragrant flavors were wonderful :drool:. The best parts of this dessert are that you could eat it with Gio Lua (Vietnamese Ham), sweet, fragrant & savory flavors all in one bite and chew the seeds to eat their membranes :lol:.

More info on Gac fruit: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/02/22/gac-strange-powerful-fruit.html

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Oh hmm I would had thought the seeds would get thrown out and the yellow part would get eaten. So it is kind of like pomegranates where u eat the seeds. Interesting

Ms.Zoe

Hehe, yeah. I never got to see the insides of the Gac fruit. I only see them frozen at Asian markets. However, the insides are sold separately from the fruit too but I have not bought them to cook Xoi Gac yet. Sometimes people just put orange food color to mimic Xoi Gac's color.

Ms.Zoe

Let switch things around here lol :lol:, Could anyone tell me what are the dried fluffiness on these Banh Mi called? :lol:.

I know their name but want to see if anyone knows too :lol:.

Cr as tagged

Ms.Zoe

More photos to help you guys to guess :lol:

I'm drooling :drool:...so yummy :yummy:.

Cr as tagged & to rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

Xoi Bap...I love love this dish :heart: :drool: :spin: :yummy:.

Cr as tagged & to rightful owners

Ms.Zoe

Lol, do you know that there are also dried shredded chicken & fish too?

I like to eat it with warm white rice, it's so convenient when you have nothing to cook or too lazy to cook something lol.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
I didn't know about the chicken but I had the fish one.

When i'm too lazy to cook, i just nuke rice in the microwave really hot, cut up some kimchi, throwin dried shrimp, and then crack in some raw eggs. Mix it together and cover it with saran wrap and let it steamed for like 3 mins. Drzzle srirach and wahla food! Lol

Ms.Zoe

Lol...gotta love eggs, I like them fried sunny side up, boiled, steamed, scrambled, braised & fried with ground meat or tomatoes with fish sauce and green onions :yummy:.

Ms.Zoe

I like all types of tomatoes. Big, small, long, round, yellow, red, orange & etc I like them all :lol:. I have not tried yellow tomatoes with scrambled eggs yet. I just found out that I love fried eggs with white onions and soy sauce!!!!!!!!!

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Oh you need to try scrambld eggs with yellow tomatoes, sprinkle a bit of sugar while cooking it. Oh man soooo good! I sometime have that with buttered toasted crumpets and tea.

Ms.Zoe

TET - TET NGUYEN DAN - Vietnamese New Year - Lunar New Year will come around a month from now. TET's Eve is on February 7th & TET is on February 8th :cheer:. This year will be the year of the Monkey.

I will talk about TET in future posts

Cr to rightful owners