[Ch3] Bpoop Phaeh Saniwaat (Broadcast Thai) : Pope Thanawat / Bella Ranee

Rachfull

sarNie Oldmaid
Okay guys, for you who understand Thai - there are total 4 songs of BPS :

1) Which of the themes is the most apt feelings of Por Date for Kade?
2) I know Or Jao sounds very much like it's a Date song, but some parts as if it's Kade's secret feelings too - especially when she's hurt
3) Which of the 4 is the most reflective of Kade's?
4) Thanks.
"Pieng Sobta" for Kade. The guy's "Bhuppae Sanniwat" song for Date

Rachfull

sarNie Oldmaid
@Rosi @Rachfull Words “Husband and wife” in Thai usually make foreigner confused.

1. SaameePaunraya = SaameePaunya = สามีภรรยา = Husband and wife
Saamee = สามี = Husband
Paunraya = Paunya = ภรรยา = Wife
Pariya = ภริยา = wife
Paunraya Laung = Paunya Laung = ภรรยาหลวง = First wife
Paunraya Noi = Paunya Noi = ภรรยาน้อย = Wife comes after the first wife

The words “Saamee and Paunraya/Paunya” are the most polite, formal, used both in spoken and written language, used with people that you are not accustomed to or with older people or anyone you feel you should be more polite to them.
One of my chief liked to use “Saamee” when she said about her husband to respect him.
She said “Saamee P’ puai” = My Saamee is sick”
She was my chief and older than me so she call herself P’ with me.
So it is Ok when people here say ‘Pope is my Saamee or I’m Pope’s Paunraya/Paunya.

The word “Pariya (very formal)” is used with women who are President’s wife, Prime mister’s, UN Secretary General’s, ambassador’s wife, etc.

2. Fan = แฟน

Fan is used with both men and women. It has 4 meanings (as I think)

2.1 Man and woman who like and learn each other, haven’t lived together, have not any affair yet.
2.2 Man and woman who like and learn each other but have had affair. They do not think they are husband and wife and some usually do not want to reveal such relation between them to public. Sometimes we call this type of Fan that “Ku Non = sleeping partner”. The meaning would be similar to “girlfriend” in English.
2.3 Fan = Husband or Wife
Compared with PuaMia, Fan is more polite and formal. When People are shy to say Pua or Mia. They use this word instead like “Fan P’ puai. = My Saamee/Paunya is sick
2.4 Fan = Fanclub
When you like/love and follow any actor/actress, singer, football player, you are their fan.

3. PuaMia = ผัวเมีย = Husband and wife

Pua = ผัว = Husband
Mia = เมีย = Wife
Mia Laung = ภรรยาหลวง = First wife
Mia Noi = ภรรยาน้อย = Wife comes after the first wife
These 2 words have been used in formal since Ayutthaya Era. These days, they are folk language, informal, used in general, sometimes ok sometimes impolite depending on place, time, person who says or person who you say to. If not sure, it is better using Saamee and Paunya.

Both words imply that man and woman have had affair already (emphasize having affair). In Thai Lakorn, many characters often use this to dominate other, like in Padiwarada, Duang said “Saraan and Doang Pen PuaMia gun Laiew = ศรัณและดวงเป็นผัวเมียกันแล้ว”= Saraan and I have been husband and wife.”
Thank you so much @Amata ! That makes a lot more sense. Though I still think I'm a little fonder of the Western distinctions :thumbup:

Rachfull

sarNie Oldmaid
Why, @Amata , thanks so much for that full explanation. We get handicapped when not knowing the beauty of the language. You always clarify down to the letter, it's so sweet you take all that trouble; I envy you & @Chario mintmario it's easy for you two. So, it's very elaborate in that sense this spouse word against the bedmate word. Ok, I think I understand now - although it still is a bit confusing.

But good that you brought up that Duang's no shame admission in front of everyone what she & Salan's been doing. You would think people would have known it already about your relationship & there's no need to repeat!

Yet it still seems strange to us who are not Thais that once you sleep with someone that's your husband; it is very strange. Most people sleep with many boyfriends & isn't that hard to say that those guys are all your husbands? Husbands & wives are for when we ultimately get married, the usual thing.

For example in Padiwarada, Rin & Salan went through a formal ceremony in front of relatives & they even have this cute "this is how you sleep together" bed scene performed by the old folks. But still one day Salan's officer reminded him he must sign the marriage certificate as if he's not married yet. And when they were arguing, Rin also said "we haven't signed the marriage papers, it's not too late, you should just let me return to my family" - as if their marriage is not legalised & you can back out anytime they want.

But in the story I liked the way it went, because if endorsing marriage papers means you are truly married Salan did it in the proper way having Rin come to the Courthouse with him & sign in front of witnesses. He didn't sleep with her until he had done all that; he did the decent thing - unlike with Duang.
That "this is how you sleep together" scene with the elders was so awkward :risas3: All I could think about was how glad I am western weddings don't include that, because I personally would DIE of embarrassment :risas3:

But it's cool (some) Thais do it. It's sweet.

Rachfull

sarNie Oldmaid
Wow, so close to 1200 and the thread has barely moved today! Don't look at me though, Imma jump in at 1199. Y'all can get yourselves to 1199 without my help, because I ain't wasting my time again. :p

Rosi

Wifey #42
Um. I think he did. She had photos of her all beaten up. Haha.

Haha. No Clara please.

Omg Susie!! View attachment 21232

Dammit. Hahaha.
Okay, no Clara. Just doing the 2018 Darts championships & don't want to leave anyone out.

Hmmn, Susie ahh? But those breasts! It's a flaw. There's also something harsh about her face I find it hard to complete the Malee scenes unless Kade or Date is in it.