[Ch3] Bpoop Phaeh Saniwaat (Broadcast Thai) : Pope Thanawat / Bella Ranee

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
Thanks. It's so beautiful to have history, it's something to be prideful, too. It doesn't mean that you're a big country or you're a continent that you would automatically have history, it's the people who made it. I marvel at what you guys have, especially in those northern rims (to us down here) which makes up Thailand, Cambodia, Loas, Vietnam, Myanmar, etc. It may have been destroyed at one point because of civil war & things, but it's not something that can totally be taken away from you. I love BPS because it sort of makes me look at things again with rose coloured glasses, the way life should be really, because it makes us happy. That piece of silk which Kade wore is speechlessly lovely such a pretty combination of rich colours! & so are the other ones seen throughout the story as they carry them about on those trays - for Khun Loong, Date, Rheung, the guys. I wondered why the Professor said that cloth is Khymer, don't Thais themselves do it, but it's clearer now Khymer then is just next door - certain arts are better done elsewhere by a region more skilled in these things.
I agreed!! My country was prosperous back in that era. We’re know for the Angkor Wat, people back then was very artistic in carving and many things. It all got destroyed during the Vietnam war. Genocide took over and a lot of people fled the country. It was a very dark period for us.

Rachfull

sarNie Oldmaid
Not for a while, I think. Since it's like 40 mins each time after ads (!!!! so many!!), and tonight's the only night. Last episode on Monday they stopped at where she made the mango sweets. CPR has to come after the poetry battle, then Prik bullying Kade and much later Date taking her to town to make the hotpot. Hope no volleyball next week! At this rate saving Date will be next Friday.
Wow you're all putting me to shame with how well you all know the drama.
I'm rewatching it with my friend but she's been out of town. I should just rewatch by myself.

Rosi2

Samee's wifey #42
I agreed!! My country was prosperous back in that era. We’re know for the Angkor Wat, people back then was very artistic in carving and many things. It all got destroyed during the Vietnam war. Genocide took over and a lot of people fled the country. It was a very dark period for us.
People who've seen the ruins of Angkor Wat have much to tell. It's romantism, awe, because it's unique and expanseful - but how could you ever describe a loss?
Sadly genocide happens, I can't bear to finish any of the Vietnam war movies I've seen it's just too painful. Even if we should - to honour the ones who did went through those things. I saw one, but of Jews, and I didn't think it would be that bad because the movie was so beautifully made it wouldn't show those things. It's about a peaceful tiny village, fields of bright sunflowers, & the climax of the story is a beautiful moonlit spot by a scenic stream in a green meadow, lush grass.... and a tiny stone slab in the ground. The Elijah Wood character collects things, he's been told by his late grandfather to collect soil from that place by the river. He didn't know what it means and had come all the way from the States to do just that. It made me cry nonstop when I realised, the same time he did, why that soil. The story is called "Everything is Illuminated".

Rachfull

sarNie Oldmaid
Thanks. It's so beautiful to have history, it's something to be prideful, too. It doesn't mean that you're a big country or you're a continent that you would automatically have history, it's the people who made it. I marvel at what you guys have, especially in those northern rims (to us down here) which makes up Thailand, Cambodia, Loas, Vietnam, Myanmar, etc. It may have been destroyed at one point because of civil war & things, but it's not something that can totally be taken away from you. I love BPS because it sort of makes me look at things again with rose coloured glasses, the way life should be really, because it makes us happy. That piece of silk which Kade wore is speechlessly lovely such a pretty combination of rich colours! & so are the other ones seen throughout the story as they carry them about on those trays - for Khun Loong, Date, Rheung, the guys. I wondered why the Professor said that cloth is Khymer, don't Thais themselves do it, but it's clearer now Khymer then is just next door - certain arts are better done elsewhere by a region more skilled in these things.
I think it's especially interesting to watch something about Thailand's history because they haven't been influenced as strongly by Western culture as other countries. They were never occupied and (as we learn from BPS) were more cautious with the farang. I'm not saying anything political, I just think it's cool that their culture is almost entirely theirs.

Rosi2

Samee's wifey #42
I think it's especially interesting to watch something about Thailand's history because they haven't been influenced as strongly by Western culture as other countries. They were never occupied and (as we learn from BPS) were more cautious with the farang. I'm not saying anything political, I just think it's cool that their culture is almost entirely theirs.
Like Japan!

Rosi2

Samee's wifey #42
But at the time it does look like they just don't want anything "white" because they can't stand Constantine. It looks a more personal vendetta against him; also the way King Narai overliking anything French. I don't think they'll mind it very much if Constantine is French himself but because he's not & just a stand in they find that they can't trust him.
Someone brought up here too about the conversion but again it's mostly because of Constantine they didn't like it.