[Ch3] Bpoop Phaeh Saniwaat (Broadcast Thai) : Pope Thanawat / Bella Ranee

Amata

sarNie Hatchling
@Rosi @friends
Thank you @Rosi @June31sg @lamchieu I' sorry I didn't answer your post. I'm rather quiet but I think of you all.:)
I would like to correct the chapter I and II again but I have no time yet.
Here is the chapter III, rather long.

Chapter III (Raw file)

When Poodtaan opened her eyes she was dizzy. So she closed her eyes again to suppress the dizziness. When she did it again she saw beam and roof sheets overlapping. She felt someone move beside her and heard a merciful voice.

“You’ve recovered. How are you? Is there any pain?

When Poodtaan saw things around clearly she realized what happened. She sat up and found that she was in a bed with a thin mattress. Her body part that was shoved away would be bruised because it was immediately painful. She looked to the side and saw there was an old woman sitting looking at her. There was a girl sitting away. Poodtaan’s clothes were changed to Pa nung and Pa tab. When she bowed down to look at herself she felt shy but she tried to suppress confusion in her mind. Those who could answer some questions probably would be the old woman in front of her.

Pa nung = ผ้านุ่ง = a long rectangular cloth used as wrapped skirt
Pa taab = ผ้าแถบ = a long piece of cloth for wrapping around the breasts formerly used by a Thai woman

“Where is here? What’s happened? Who are you Khun Yai? Why everyone dressed up strange? What is that man? Has he taken the book, hasn’t he?”
“You ask many questions. Which question would you like us to answer first? Your words are different than ours” That girl said and turned to say to the old woman.

“Yai, believe me, kick her off. She looks crazy.”

From what the girl said, Poodtaan felt unpleasant but she could not piece together yet what was going on. So she had to be patient not to respond. She just stared at both of them hoping one of them would give her the answers.

“Mae Glin looking her appearance, if we drive her out, she probably could not keep away from bad matters. Have some kindness.” Nang Gui warned her niece and turned to answer Poodtaan kindly.

“Here is Ayutthaya. Where are you from, angel? Which heaven? Why do you come here on earth?”

“Angel? What do you mean? If here is Ayutthaya it would be the site…what about the workers decorating the garden? Where are they all?”

“Here is Yai Gui’s home. There are not any of your workers. All servants here belong to Yai. Mae Glin said to her without tone of voice (without respect)”

Poodtaan listened to her but she did not understand much. Poodtaan looked at her Sabai with no stripe and her Pa nung with front pleats and Yai Gui’s blouse with front opening, ivory buttons.

Sabai = a long piece of cloth that covers the upper body
Poodtaaan looked outside there were 2 – 3 people sitting on the floor wearing dark colour Pa taab. All of them were with no jewelry different from the two women next to her. They were full of decorations like earrings, gold necklace, bracelet and golden belt.

When Poodtaan saw Joong Grabain she was frightened and sensed something.

Joong Grabain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6m5UBOkTkg

“What year is this? What’s Por Sor? Poodtaan was not certain she crossed dimension or died. How could she go back? The decorating of the garden was not finished yet.

“What is Por Sor? This year is Julasakkaraj 1069.

“Huh? What is Julasakkaraj? What about Phuttasakkaraj? Is Buddhism your religion?

“There are all here, Buddhism, Christ and Islam. What you ask is so crazy?”

Mae Glin answered with her face frowning. She thought what this strange woman asked were annoying both of her words and her manners.

Por Sor = พ.ศ. = พุทธศักราช =Phuttasakkaraj = Buddhist Era = B.E.
Julasakkaraj = จ.ศ. =Jor Sor = Thai minor Era. It started in 1181 B.E. (638 A.D.). The year round was 16th April to 15th April. At the present Thailand uses B.E.

Poodtaan kept her feeling of displeasure to Mae Glin the second time. She turned to look at the old woman who was rather kind to her.

“Ach! Phttasakkaraj 2251 this year.” Nang Gui answered.

“What? Poodtaan exclaimed loud and calculated in mind.

“Ov..over 300 years. I travel into the past. Is it real? Oh no.”

“And who is the King now? What is the name of the King?”

“The King? Jao Fa Phet is the new Khun Laung. He has just been after Khun Luang Sue, his father passed away. Didn’t the deity your relative told you?” Nang Gui said while raising her hands together to prostrate above her head and stared at Poodtaan.

“What deity? I’m not used to the name of Khun Luang. Does Khun Luang mean the king? Which dynasty? Certainly it is not Chakri dynasty.” She asked and said to herself back and forth like her being mad as Mae Glin satirized. What she perceived was above her expectation beyond her brain to accept.”

The pain from being shoved made her know she didn’t dream and now her conscious was too clear and complete to think it was a hallucination.

“Ouch! You are not making any sense. Don’t you know even Khun Luang? “ Mae Glin could not help saying that. But when she saw Poodtaan’s confused and harmless manners, her harsh eyes went softer.

“She doesn’t know because she comes from the other place.” Nang Gui told her niece.

“How do you get to know this girl?” Or is she our relative just comes to us? Why don’t I know anything?”

“She is not our relative but her relative asked me to put the care of her” Nang Gui said and turned to ask Poodtaan.

“Are you hungry? You have food first then think and talk about it later.

“Poodtaan was quiet while both of them responding. Her brain still thought about it but felt so hungry too, so she nodded with embarrassed and pale face.

When she got up from the bed, Poodtaan could not help glancing at Mae Glin with displeasure. Many times this girl satirized her. Because of a newcomer, then Poodtaan would not like to have any argument with her. She would be waiting for being accustomed to here, if she didn’t retort Mae Glin satisfactorily, it was certain that she would not be Poodtaan.

The smell and the sweat spreading out in the room caused her nearly unbearable nausea. Her pale face made people who saw her feel sorry for her.
Yai Gui told Nang Aon and Nang Aim helped support her. Nang Ung went down to prepare a tray of food. Poodtaan looked at the floor. The planks were spotted and rather slippery. They were gaps between them so she saw bamboo lattice beneath. Even the bed she just left also was made of bamboo. It looked not strong. There was a dark spittoon at the foot of the bed.

She found that the room that she left was one of two rooms being built in row. There were another 2 rooms opposite. There was a large room was between the 4 rooms

In the middle was a wide high platform covered with a pavilion. These houses were built in a simple style but strong. There were both hardwood and bamboo parts. When looking behind the houses, there was a long bamboo house with thatched roof. There was smoke floating slowly there. It would be the kitchen part.

Poodtaan sat down on the platform before turning to the old woman. Yai Gui picked up betel nut and betel leaf, trimmed it and chewed it while asking Poodtaan.

“What is your name? Mine is Gui. My niece, Glin.

“My name Poodtaan. Ka”

“If you are not an angel so where you come from? Why are your words so strange?

“I’m from Krungthep.” Its full name is Krungthepmahanakhon Amornrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Nopparatratachathaniburiroom Udomratchaniwethmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit.”

Thanks for Asanee and Wasan Chotikul, famous duo in 90’s.

Poodtaan sighed heavily after the end but had to hold her smile when the 5 listeners gaped.

Krungthepmahanakhon
Amornrattanakosin
Mahindrarayutthaya
Mahadilokphop
Nopparat Rajachathani Buriroom
Udom Rajchaniweth Mahasathan
Amorn Piman Awatarn Satit
Sakkathattiya Witsanukamprasit

Thai people call their capital “Krungthep” not Bangkok. Its full name is the longest name in the world according to the Guiness Book. So it is hard to remember.
Poodtaan thanked Asanee and Wasan Chotikul because one of their album having a song named “Krungthepmahanakhon” The content of the whole song is the full name of Krungthep. That helps Thai people to remember it.

Here is the song “Krungthepmahanakhon”. :

Meaning :

Krungthepmahanakhon = The great city of the angel.
Amornrattanakosin = The resident of the Emerald Buddha
Mahintharayutthaya = Great city of God Indra that no one can win
Mahadilokphop = Great land
Nopparatratachathaniburiroom = Magnificent and delightful City of the world endowed with the nine precious stone
Udomratchaniwethmahasathan = City of royal palaces

Amonphimanawatansathit = Home of the Gods Incarnate
Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit = Erected by Visvakarman at the behest

Nang Gui was the first person to get conscious.

“You remember such a long name you must be extraordinary wise.” Nang Gui said

Seeing anyone stunned was not so satisfied as seeing Mae Glin stunned. Poodtaan kept it in her mind so she just said.

“It’s shortly called “Krugthep.”

Muengthep Amornrattanakosin, Nang Glin repeated the first Wak of the name of the city then she said.

“I knew it. She certainly comes from Daowadung, Mae Glin. I dreamt of a deity. He asked me to take care of his descendant.”

“You transform to be a human as real” She said while touching Poodtaan’s arm. Poodtaan saw Nang Gui’s eyed were sparkling. She began to be worried that she or Yai Gui who was crazy.

Daowadung = the name of the 2nd heaven where Indra (a deity) dwells. Indra’s body was green.
Yai Gui thought that Poodtaan came from the 2nd heaven because the word “Kosin”. Kosin is another name of Indra.

“Wait Yai. It’s just a dream. How can we believe it?” Mae Glin asked.

“Yes, we can. I have anything to tell you.” Nang said and got up, walked into a small room and came back with a tray in her hand.

“Last night her relative gave it to me in my dream. He was a deity."

Nang Gui told her niece and hold up a ruby its size as big as a the little finger joint.

Poodtaan was stunned “Deity?” The one who became deity’s relative exclaimed loud. But then she had to be quiet at once She thought at least Yai Gui’s belief gave her a welcome.

“It’s just one poor gemstone.” Mae Glin said shaking her head.

“Look at it, no one in Pranakhon can do it.” Nang Gui said.

Mae Glin picked up it to see and she agreed with Yai Gui but she couldn’t stand feeling moody.

“But this kind of gem is common. It just doesn’t cut like this and the price is not expensive.”

“Ouch! The object in the human world and the heaven cannot be compared. Well, the food is coming, have it Mae Poodtaan.” Nang Gui said.

Poodtaan listened to both of them talking and she didn’t like Mae Glin more.

Nang Gui put the ruby back on the tray while looking Poodtaan with expectation. ft this girl didn’t eat she might have ambrosia.

Poodtaan sighed seeing the dark color rice and grilled fish that Nang Ung brought to her. It was so small amount like she would give it to the spirit more than give it to human.

Poodtaan thought of Wipawee about the appointment. She would wait in vain because she was here where wouldn’t have any facilities. Poodtaan sighed again. It was miserable even a novel or a cross - dimension drama she opened through. She had no interest about it because she thought it was nonsense. Including history, it was never in her head. She thought it had nothing to do with her. She had found a big job now. Anyway she had to eat first.

Poodtaan looked for Chon som (spoon and fork).
Chon som?” She asked.

“What? Ah E Aon, go to get a porcelain spoon for Mae Poodtaan.”

When Nang Aon crawled to hand her the spoon she realized they might not use Chon som here.

Chon Som
Chon = ช้อน = Spoon
Som = ส้อม = Fork
These words can make us confused because sometimes Thai people call Som as Chon Som also but it means only the fork.
Chon Som = Spoon + Fork

Chon Som = Fork

Red color rice that was sticky, soft, sweet and delicious got along with the salty grilled fish. Poodtaan got stuck when seeing every eye intentionally looking at her eating. It looked like they were observing or trying to find fault.

Nang Ung was relieved and smiled to Nang Aon who sitting beside. This girl suddenly appeared in the middle of the garden when the sun light went out. No one knew how she came here despite everyone staring at the same point. No one knew where she walked from. Both of them (Nang Ung and Nang Aon) had touched her body while carrying her. They were still afraid if Pootaan was a ghost. They would be in trouble because they touched her while carrying. Nang Aim knew nothing because she went out to look over servants picking crops since dawn.

After getting stuck for a moment Poodtann continued to eat until almost all. Due to not having curry soup so she felt unsmooth in her throat. She had to pour water from a clay pottery. After drinking she felt refreshing because the water tasted good and cool.

“Hurry up and tell us what are you going to do?” Mae Glin was frustrated with the newcomer being too calm so she asked unhappily.

Not remembering how many times Poodtaan had to suppress not to retort her. If she did nothing, this girl would become conceited. If she felt her once or twice she would stop acting like a mad dog. Poodtaan was going to do it but there was someone doing instead.

Eh! Nang Nii (Mae Glin) I have told you her relative asked me to take care of her. He told me he would help me to have property for life.”

“Yai, if you don’t work where the property would come from and how much we would get from selling the ruby.” Mae Glin disagreed.

Yai Gui glanced sideways to her.

It was the first time that Poodtaan agreed with Mae Glin. No matter what it was, money, gold, belongings if we didn’t work how it could float from the sky.

“He might make our land rich and fruitful. Do not show disrespect to him or I will take the spittoon slap your mouth.” Nang Gui scolded her niece but her niece didn’t show that she got hurt like what she heard was common for her. Nang Gui said that before turning to wait for Poodtaan’s answer.
“Now I’m not certain how I came here. May I stay with you for some time? Poodtaan asked.

Poodtaan didn’t understand all what they talked but she knew she needed some time to learn where she was now and it was in which period of the Thai history. She needed to learn how to behave in order to help herself safe in the future. Her brain began to work now after having food.

“Why not? You can stay here as far as you like in this house. If you would like a new one, tell me where you like it located, I will have it built a bamboo house with thatched roof.

Nang Gui answered generously. When she promised to the deity she had to keep her words and helped Poodtaan as much as she could. To treat one more person wasn’t beyond her ability. Anyway to take care of Poodtaan above all else was impossible as well.

“Thank you so much. I would like to stay in another house” Poodtaan said.

“I’d better go to see servants move things at the pier. I’m going to explode staying here. Mae Glin muttered and got up.

“Mae Glin, tell servants to take vegetables to Praya Wisootsakorn’s house. Today I heard from Muen Rit that his 2 sisters will return home. I think they would stay for days.”

Nang Gui didn’t mind her niece because she indulged her since she was young and she took this chance to order her.

Mae Glin’s face changed from frowning to smiling showing her teeth. She accepted and hurried to go down.

Nang Gui knew her niece liked Praya Wisootsakorn’s son. He was handsome not different from his father at his young age. It was good that even she liked him but she never did anything that brought her shame. So Nang Gui trusted her and didn’t think to hinder her. At the same time she thought if her niece had a fortune, she might become a member of her master’s family who owned the land that she rent for workplace. She might be not Mia Luang but a Praya’s daughter in law.

Mia Luang = a woman that parents go to ask for. To have a wedding ceremony properly and she get the highest honor in the house

Poodtaan thought what she should do now. She thought back about Pra Rueang’s blessing. She was rather certain that he knew about this. Thinking of him made her very calm and he might be trying to help her there. Her life passed a big changing when she was young. This time was another change that she needed to accept.

“Be conscious, I have to be conscious.” She gave herself moral support. She thought that if she would like to be familiar with the new place she should go out to broaden her view because just asking could not help much. For now she was worried about the time difference over 300 years. Life being, language and culture would be different from where she came from. How could she live?

“Thank you (Khun Yai Gui) very much. It is very kind of you to help me (Noo).” Poodtann thanked Nang Gui.

“You speak very strange. If you wouldn’t like people to say about this, try to speak like we do.” Nang Gui said.

“Uh I (Noo) will try.” Poodtaan accepted.

“When you talk with adults, to end with Jao Ka (เจ้าค่ะ) Jao Ka (เจ้าคะ) will be more beautiful and call yourself “Ka (ข้า)” will be more appropriate.

*******From now Pootaan called herself “ka” and used “Jao Ka”. Yai Gui called Poodtaan “Aor Jao”.

Nang Gui taught Poodtaan and when seeing her bright round eyes staring obediently and intentionally she felt kind to her. Her manners didn't look like general elite women but her appearance and her skin was more beautiful than those. Nang Gui could not help touching her arm. He skin was smooth, soft and warm.

“In the heaven would you have gold and gem palace, wouldn’t you? Why do you come here? Does the adult angel curse you down? Do you have your parents? Were you adult since you were born?

“Khun Yai Jao Ka, I’m a human not angel. I just got lost. Oh! the Knoi book. It must be that book pulling me here. She reminded.

“The khoi book! Is it the stuff that Muen Rit dig up? Nang Gui asked.

“Yes, it is. Is Muen Rueang his name? Poodtaan asked.

“Muen is a rank, his name is Rit and his title conferred by Khun Luang is Maharit. It was a position of royal page” Nang Gui answered.

Poodtaan listened but what she could do only to blink her eyes. She didn’t understand much. Her knowledge about the title of nobleman, she gave back to her teacher at the high school already.

“If I would like to meet him, what should I do Jao Ka Khun Yai?

Yai Gui made her face strange with Poodtaan’s word calling her but she started to get over it. Though Poodtaan mixed words together she had tried. At least she would be smart to learn more.

“Taan (Muen Maharit) was Praya Wisootsakorn’s son. His house is over there not far from the garden where you appeared. This garden belongs to Praya Wisootsakorn also. I’m a Phrai being up to him (Phrai = a person who belongs to a prince or nobleman) according to my parents. I still rent this land because I’m a caretaker. I have no husband to protect me.” Yai Gui told her.

“Speaking honestly Na Jao Ka, I don’t know much about the administration. What do I do to make myself look like people here? Poodtaan said seriously.

“You have to register as a Phrai. Women are not so strong like men. Generally it is just to register only. Women do not have to be enlisted to work like men.
“Why do I have to register Jao ka? Can I be independent?

“Yes, you can because you are a woman. Royal people do not want woman workers. But if you are Phrai of him, when you encounter any problem he could help you. I’m a Phrai of Praya Wisootsakorn. If you are with me I have to take you to register also. And we will help each other to do the garden.

“Does a Phrai have to work for him? And does he give us salary?

“If they are men they have to work for the public/royal/noble work. If not they have to give them “suay (ส่วย)” instead. For women they never ask for Suay. When my husband was alive he rent this land from his father (Praya Hora Thibodi) so he (Praya Wisootsakorn) is kind to us. We pay him the rent annually. We grow vegetables and fruits. We usually give him some. Some years our garden was not productive and we didn’t give him anything but he never blamed on us. Both of them (Praya Hora Thibodi and Praya Wisootsakorn are very kind. They never extort Prai or trouble them.”

Yai Gui explained such a long story because she believed that the girl in front of her was not accustomed to human being world.

Sauy = Suay was a kind of imcome of the land. It might be items, currency or anything that were used instead of entering to work for the government/royal/noble service.

When male citezens who didn't want to be enlisted to work for public/royal/noble, they had to submit other things instead like Faang, grass for Royal Elephants, money etc.
Faang = a name of a small tree with thorns, yellow flowers, read wood used to dye cloth and make a medicine.

“Well, I get it. Let me summarize. Khun Yai is Praya Wisootsakorn’s a Phrai. Khun Yai is a widow. And what about Khun Glin?”

“Just call her Mae Glin.” To me you should call me Yai. It shouldn’t have “Khun (ขุน) in front. It is inappropriate. I used to marry but my husband had died for a long time and we had no children. Mae Glin is my distant relative. Her parents died of smallpox so I looked after her since then”

Poodtaan’s Khun = คุณ = Ms., Mr., Mrs

Yai Gui’s Khun = ขุน = Word used to precede the name of the person who is of King's descent, in order to admire or respect him.
The pronunciation of these 2 words may be similar because of the accent.
Spelling of these words in English are the same but in Thai they have different letter, tone and meaning.

“Ouch! What you say is difficult (ยากชะมัด -Yaak cha mut) for me but understandable.” Poodtaan said.

Nang Gui tried to ignore Poodtaan’s words and made her voice tete –a – tete whisper.

“What can you do? Can you make stone become gold?

“Hm I’m not a magician Na Jao Ka, Khun Yai but I can grow vegetables, trees and decorate the garden. I studied it.”

“Did you?” Yai Gui was surprised.

“Jao Ka. Many women here don’t study, do they?”

“I can read and write. My father and my husband used to do royal work so they taught me. Mae Glin cannot but she can calculate when trading.” Nang Gui answered.

“Are you literate?” Nang Gui asked Poodtaan.

“Yes, I am but I don’t think I could read and write well here.” Poodtaan said.

“There would be some difference between the language in the heaven and the one here so when you speak it sounds strange.”

“It would be like that.” Poodtaan was discouraged to explain when Yai Gui still was convinced that she came from the heaven. Poodtaan didn’t know why Yai Gui was confident that she had promised with a deity to take care of her. Anyway it was useful for her.

“Now you have to change your clothes. I will tell Nang Ung to help you dress up. Then we are going to the market to buy things.” Yai Gui said and got up to look down at some servants moving things below and assigned them work with loud and powerful voice.

Poodtaan was surprised looking at her who was an old woman but energetic and smart. Because of 300 years different time Poodtaan thought women in this era would be weak and were under the mandate of men. Though Yai Gui had thoughts and beliefs that were hard to understand she wasn’t different from adult women who had self –confident at Poodtaan's time. She was able to live on her own without having a new husband.
Nang Ung helped Poodtaan dress up. The clothes that she brought belonged to Mae Glin. Yai Gui looked at Poodtaan coming out of the bamboo weaving partition with worrying. Poodtaan ‘s muddy clothes were near the bed. Yai Gui told Nang Aon to bring them to wash.

When this girl dressed up in Pa nung, it was harmonious with people in Pranaknon (Ayutthaya) now. She had no decorations except for her gold necklace but she looked good.

“I have to buy new cloth for Mae Glin too or she certainly complains. Yai Gui told Pootaan and said “Be patient using Mae Glin’s old clothes. The fabric is expensive. I’m not so rich.” Yai Gui said.

Nang Aon picked up Poodtaan’s bra that was placed since she passed out, and looked with interest before looking at the underpants. Nang Ung was interested in also. Poodtaan hurried to grab underwear and simpered when she saw those surprised eyes of Yai Gui, Nang Aon and Nang Ung.

What are they? Why are they so small to close just the top and the bottom? I would have asked you after you recovered but I forgot.” Yai Gui asked.
“They are underwear, doesn’t it have here, does it?

Poodtaan moved awkwardly, now she was wearing only Sabai and Pa nung. For a moment she had to walk in the market. Life would be very colorful if Pa nung or Sabai fell off in the middle of the market. It was good that Nang Ung used a banana rope to tie Pa nung tightly. She tried to pull the rim of Sabai and tucked it with unfamiliarity.

“Your name and your clothes are not similar to anyone. E Aon, take the clothes to wash at the pier. Nang Ung, come with us.”

“I will wash these 2 pieces by myself. P’Aon doesn’t have to do.” Poodtaan said.

Nang Aon gaped when she heard Poodtaan call her P’. She turned to look at Yai Gui with worrying. This woman was so beautiful and she saw Yai Gui spoke to her with highly praised. Yai Gui might look after her as another niece like Mae Glin. That meant she might become her lady boss too. So Nang Aon crouched with respect.

“Please let me do it Therd Jao Ka.” Nang Aon said.

“You just do it only the shirt and the pants. That’s enough” Poodtaan said and felt uncomfortable.

For the underwear if she really had to live here she had to find way to make it but her sewing skills were not good. Most of the torn clothes would become a rag rather than be repaired. She might ask people here to sew it for her but if she hired other people to do, she needed to have money but now she had not even a baht. If she asked for it from Yai Gui she was afraid of offending her. So she had to do something to raise money to spend and pay back for the things that Yai Gui had given.

Going out to see the outside world should give her to find the way out and she still had to chase that khoi book. Because she was here by touching it, the way back certainly would have to be related to it.

A male servant paddled and Mae Ung steered. The weather was rather hot in the afternoon. But it was not too hot because there were trees along the way. After passing the mouth of Klong Glaeb, Yai Gui peeped her with sympathy.

“It is sunny. Use this cloth to cover your head. Your skin looks delicate.

“Khop khoon Ka (Thank you)”

“Khop khoon? Is it Khop Jai?

“ Isn’t there Khop khoon here? Ok Khop Jai, Khop Jai.

Poodtaan was embarrassed. Everything looked different and tiring.

“What is the name of the Klong we have passed? Where are we going?”

“Klong Glaab and we are going to the area of Wat Bang Khun Prom and Toon Mak to find Sabai for Mae Glin and 2 Sueer Chiek Oak for you. You couldn’t put on Mae Glin’s because it will be loose.” She said while glancing at Poodtaan’s breasts that were much different from Mae Glin’s.

Sueer Chiek Oak = bra used in Ayutthaya era
Sueer = เสื้อ = blouse, shirt,.....etc
Chiek = ฉีก = open in front, tear

Oak = อก = breasts

“My mother might not give me much (not give her big breasts) but I have them suitably (not too small). I can put on Mae Glin’s blouse.

Poodtaan hurriedly told Yai Gui to prevent her from disparaging the genuine things that her mother gave (her breasts). She determined in her mind that the bra that would be made, need to have some space for putting kapok inside to make it bigger. Oak Hak Rueng Lek Oak Lek Rueng Yai

Oak Hak Rueng Lek Oak Lek Si Rueng Yai is a slang used for making a joke about small and big breasts.

It means “Heartbroken a small matter, small breasts a big deal”
Oak Hak = Heartbroken
Oak =breasts, chest
Hak = break
Rueng Lek = small matter
Rueng = matter
Lek = small
Oak Lek = small breasts
Rueng Yai = a big deal
Yai = big

The words that Nang Gui heard leaving a wonder in Yai Gui 's eyes but Poodtaan didn't care about it. Her eyes looked on the both sides of the river to compare with her world. There were so many houses on the sides. Most were made from bamboo. Some houses were houseboat. It was not like Ayutthaya province in her era that some parts were full of grass. Some parts were crowded with waterfront cement house. Poodtaan saw some charred houses long line and turned to ask Yai Gui with big eyes.

“Did those houses catch fire?”
“Yes, it often happens. When it happens it goes along the entire strip because the house was made of bamboo. It is easily ignited.” Yai Gui said.
“They are located on the waterfront. Why couldn't they put the fire out?” Poodtaan asked.

“Some they could but if they could not, there are bamboo merchants coming from Ampawa. Bamboo is easy to find and so cheap that it is just like you get it free and to build a house takes a short time.” Yai Gui answered while chewing betel nut in a good mood.

“Yai Gui Jao Ka, please remember how much you have spent for me. I will earn money to give you back every baht every stang.

“Sa..what is stang?

“Well, it is the money Jao ka. Don't you call small change "stang"?

“No, we don’t. We have only chang, tamlueng, baht, salueng, fueang, phai, glam, glom, bia.”

Glam, Glom what? Poodtaan listened and felt breathless but she told Yai Gui that “I will give your money back every baht every bia then.”

“It doesn’t matter. Although I'm not rich it's only a few fueangs, I don't mind. You lost from home to live in a place that you don't know. How can I be cruel?”

“But it is not good, so please think of it as a loan first. But I whether would be able to make money or not and when I could give it back to you...I still don't know.

She said shyly making Nang Gui laugh until Nam Mak nearly spread Out. (Nam Mak = saliva mixed with betel)

“Alright, alright I will arrange it for you.”

Yai Gui thought this girl was not too bad. It was appropriate that the one who brought her here was a deity. At least she didn’t think to take things from other people without giving them back.

Last edited:

June31sg

sarNie Hatchling
@Rosi @friends
Thank you @Rosi @June31sg @lamchieu I' sorry I didn't answer your post. I'm rather quiet but I think of you all.:)

Chapter III (Raw file)

When Poodtaan opened her eyes she was dizzy. So she closed her eyes again to suppress the dizziness. When she did it again she saw beam and roof sheets overlapping. She felt someone move beside her and heard a merciful voice.

When Poodtaan saw things around clearly she realized what happened. She sat up and found that she was in a bed with a thin mattress. Her body part that was kicked would be bruised because it was immediately painful. She looked to the side and saw there was an old woman sitting looking at her. There was a girl sitting away. Poodtaan’s clothes were changed to Pa nung and Pa tab. When she bowed down to look at herself she felt shy but she tried to suppress confusion in her mind. Those who could answer some questions probably would be the old woman in front of her.
Pa taab = ผ้าแถบ = a long piece of cloth for wrapping around the breasts formerly used by a Thai woman

“Where is here? What’s happened? Who are you Khun Yai? Why everyone dressed up strange? What is that man? Has he taken the book, hasn’t he?”
“You asked many questions. Which question would you like us to answer first? Your words are different than ours” That girl said and turned to say to the old woman.

From what the girl said, Poodtaan felt unpleasant but she could not piece together yet what was going on. So she had to be patient not to respond. She just stared at both of them hoping one of them would give her the answers.

“Mae Glin looking her appearance, if we drive her out, she probably could not keep away from bad matters. Have some kindness.” Nang Gui warned her niece and turned to answer Poodtaan kindly.

“Here is Ayutthaya. Where are you from, angel? Which heaven? Why do you come here on earth?”

“Angel? What do you mean? If here is Ayutthaya it would be the site…what about the workers decorating the garden? Where are they all?”

“Here is Yai Gui’s home. There are not any of your workers. All servants here belong to Yai. Mae Glin said to her without tone of voice (without respect)”

Poodtaan listened to her but she did not understand much. Poodtaan looked at her Sabai with no stripe and her Pa nung with front pleats and Yai Gui’s blouse with front opening, ivory buttons.

Poodtaaan looked outside there were 2 – 3 people sitting on the floor wearing dark colour Pa taab. All of them were with no jewelry different from the two women next to her. They were full of decorations like earrings, gold necklace, bracelet and golden belt.

Joong Grabain

“What year is this? What’s Por Sor? Poodtaan was not certain she crossed dimension or died. How could she go back? The decorating of the garden was not finished yet.

“Huh? What is Julasakkaraj? What about Phuttasakkaraj? Is Buddhism your religion?

Mae Glin answered with her face frowning. She thought what this strange woman asked were annoying both of her words and her manners.

Julasakkaraj = Thai minor Era. It started in 1181 B.E. (638 A.D.). The year round was 16th April to 15th April. At the present Thailand uses B.E.

Poodtaan kept her feeling of displeasure to Mae Glin the second time. She turned to look at the old woman who was rather kind to her.

“The King? Jao Fa Phet is the new Khun Laung. He has just been after Khun Luang Sue, his father passed away. Didn’t the deity your relative told you?” Nang Gui said while raising her hands together to prostrate above her head and stared at Poodtaan.

“What deity? I’m not used to the name of Khun Luang. Does Khun Luang mean the king? Which dynasty? Certainly it is not Chakri dynasty.” She asked and said to herself back and forth like her being mad as Mae Glin satirized. What she perceived was above her expectation beyond her brain to accept.”

The pain from being kicked made her know she didn’t dream and now her conscious was too clear and complete to think it was a hallucination.

“Ouch! You are not making any sense. Don’t you know even Khun Luang? “ Mae Glin could not help saying that. But when she saw Poodtaan’s confused and harmless manner, her harsh eyes went softer.

“She doesn’t know she comes from the other place.” Nang Gui told her niece.

“How do you get to know this girl?” Or is she our relative just comes to us? Why don’t I know anything?”

“She is not our relative but her relative asked me to put the care of her” Nang Gui said and turned to ask Poodtaan.

“Poodtaan was quiet while both of them responding. Her brain still thought about it but felt so hungry too, so she nodded with embarrassed and pale face.

When she got up from the bed, Poodtaan could not help glancing at Mae Glin with displeasure. Many times this girl satirized her. Because of a newcomer, then Poodtaan would not like to have any argument with her. She would be waiting for being accustomed to here, if she didn’t retort Mae Glin satisfactorily, it was certain that she would not be Poodtaan.

The smell and the sweat spreading out in the room caused her nearly unbearable nausea. Her pale face made people who saw her feel sorry for her.
Yai Gui told Nang Aon and Nang Aim helped support her. Nang Ung went down to prepare a tray of food. Poodtaan looked at the floor. The planks were spotted and rather slippery. They were gaps between them so she saw bamboo lattice beneath. Even the bed she just left also was made of bamboo. It looked not strong. There was a dark spittoon at the foot of the bed.

She found that the room that she left was one of two rooms being built in row. There were another 2 rooms opposite. There was a large room was between the 4 rooms

In the middle was a wide high platform covered with a pavilion. These houses were built in a simple style but strong. There were with both hardwood and bamboo parts. When looking behind the houses, there was a long bamboo house with thatched roof from which there was smoke floating slowly. It would be the kitchen part.

Poodtaan sat down on the platform before turning to the old woman. Yai Gui picked up betel nut and betel leaf, trimmed it and chewed it while asking Poodtaan.

“My name is Poodtaan.”

“I’m from Krungthep.” Its full name is Krungthepmahanakhon Amornrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Nopparatratachathaniburiroom Udomratchaniwethmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit.”

Poodtaan sighed heavily after the end but had to hold her smile when the 5 listeners gaped.

KRUNGTHEPMAHANAKHON AMONRATTANAKOSIN MAHINTHARAYUTTHAYA MAHADILOKPHOP NOPPHARATRATCHATHANIBURIROM UDOMRATCHANIWETMAHASATHAN AMONPHIMANAWATANSATHIT SAKKATHATTIYAWITSANUKAMPRASIT

Thai people call their capital “Krungthep” not Bangkok. Its full name is the longest name in the world according to the Guiness Book. So it is hard to remember.
Poodtaan thanked Asanee and Wasan Chotikul because one of their album having a song named “Krungthepmahanakhon” The content of the whole song is the full name of Krungthep. That helps Thai people remember its full name.

Meaning :
Krungthepmahanakhon = Great city of the angels
Amornrattanakosin = City where the Emerald Buddha is enshrined
Mahintharayutthaya = Great city that no one can win (battle, war).
Mahadilokphop = Greatest world/land
Nopparatratachathaniburiroom = Magnificent City of the Nine Gems, very pleasant
Udomratchaniwethmahasathan = Great City of Royal Palaces
Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit = Erected by Visvakarman at Indra’s Behest.

Seeing anyone stunned was not so satisfied as seeing Mae Glin stunned. Poodtaan kept it in her mind so she just said.

Muengthep Amornrattanakosin, Nang Glin repeated the first Wak of the name of the city then she said.

“I knew it. She certainly comes from Daowadung, Mae Glin. I dreamt of a deity. He asked me to take care of his descendant.”

“You transform to be a human as real” She said while touching Poodtaan’s arm. Poodtaan saw Nang Gui’s eyed were sparkling. She began to be worried that she or Yai Gui who was crazy.

Daowadung = the name of the 2nd heaven where Indra (a deity) dwells. Indra’s body was green.
Yai Gui thought that Poodtaan came from the 2nd heaven because the word “Kosin”. Kosin is another name of Indra.

“Yes, we can. I have anything to tell you.” Nang said and got up, walk into a small room and came back with a tray in her hand.

“Last night her relative gave it to me in my dream. He was a deity.

Nang Gui told her niece and hold up a ruby its size as big as a the little finger joint.

Poodtaan was stunned “Deity?” The one who became deity’s relative exclaimed loud. But then she had to be quiet at once She thought at least Yai Gui’s belief gave her a welcome.

Mae Glin picked up it to see and she agreed with Yai Gui but she couldn’t stand feeling moody.

“But this kind of gem is common. It just doesn’t cut like this and the price is not expensive.”

“Ouch! The object in the human world and the heaven cannot be compared. Well, the food is coming, have it Mae Poodtaan.” Nang Gui said.

Nang Gui place the ruby back on the tray while looking Poodtaan with expectation. It this girl didn’t eat she might have ambrosia.

Poodtaan sighed seeing the dark color rice and grilled fish that Nang Ung brought to her. It was so small amount like she would give it to the spirit more than give it to human.

Poodtaan thought of Wipawee about the appointment. She would wait in vain because she was here where wouldn’t have any facilities. Poodtaan sighed again. It was miserable even a novel or a cross - dimension drama she opened through. She had no interest about it because she thought it was nonsense. Including history, it was never in her head. She thought it had nothing to do with her. She had found a big job now. Anyway she had to eat first.

Chon som?” She asked.

When Nang Aon crawled to hand her the spoon she realized they might not use Chon som here.

Chon Som
Chon = ช้อน = Spoon
Som = ส้อม = Fork
These words can make us confused because sometimes Thai people call Som as Chon Som also but it means only the fork.
Chon Som = Spoon + Fork
Chon Som = Fork

Red color rice that sticky, soft, sweet and delicious got along with the salty grilled fish. Poodtaan got stuck when seeing every eye intentionally looking her eating. It looked like they were observing or trying to find fault.

Nang Ung was relieved and smiled to Nang Aon who sitting beside. This girl suddenly appeared in the middle of the garden when the sun light went out. No one knew how she came here despite everyone staring at the same point. No one knew where she walked from. Both of them (Nang Ung and Nang Aon) had touched her body while carrying. They were still afraid if Pootaan was a ghost. They would be in trouble because they touched her while carrying. Nang Aim knew nothing because she went out to look over servants picking crops since dawn.

After getting stuck for a moment Poodtann continued to eat until almost all. Due to not having curry soup she felt unsmooth in her throat. She had to pour water from a clay pottery. After drinking she felt refreshing because the water tasted good and cool.

“Hurry up and tell us what are you going to do?” Mae Glin was frustrated with the newcomer being too calm so she asked unhappily.

Not remembering how many times Poodtaan had to suppress not to retort her. If she did nothing, this girl would become conceited. If she felt her once or twice she would stop acting like a mad dog. Poodtaan was going to do it but there was someone doing instead.

Eh! Nang Nii (Mae Glin) I have told you her relative asked me to take care of her. He told me he would help me to have property for life.”

“Yai, if you don’t work where the property would come from and how much we would get from selling the ruby.” Mae Glin disagreed.

It was the first time that Poodtaan agreed with Mae Glin. No matter what it was, money, gold, belongings if we didn’t work how it could float from the sky.
“He might make our land rich and fruitful. Do not show disrespect to him or I will take the spittoon slap your mouth.” Nang Gui scolded her niece but her niece didn’t show that she got hurt like what she heard was common for her. Nang Gui said that before turning to wait for Poodtaan’s answer.
“Now I’m not certain how I came here. May I stay with you for some time? Poodtaan asked.

Poodtaan didn’t understand all what they talked but she knew she needed some time to learn where she was now and it was in which period of Thai history. She needed to learn how to behave in order to help herself safe in the future. Her brain began to work now after having food.

“Why not? You can stay here as far as you like in this house. If you would like a new one, tell me where you like it located, I will have it built a bamboo house with thatched roof.

Nang Gui answered generously. When she promised to the deity she had to keep her words and helped Poodtaan as much as she could. To treat one more person wasn’t beyond her ability. Anyway to take care of Poodtaan above all else was impossible as well.

“I’d better go to see servants move things at the pier. I’m going to explode staying here. Mae Glin muttered and got up.

“Mae Glin, Tell servants to take vegetables to Praya Wisootsakorn’s house. Today I heard from Muen Rit that his 2 sisters will return home. I think they would stay for days.”

Nang Gui didn’t mind her niece because she indulged her since she was young and she took this chance to order her.

Mae Glin’s face changed from frowning to smiling showing her teeth. She accepted and hurried to go down.

Nang Gui knew her niece liked Praya Wisootsakorn’s son. He was handsome not different from his father at his young age. It was good that even she liked him but she never did anything that brought her shame. So Nang Gui trusted her and didn’t think to hinder her. At the same time she thought if her niece had a fortune, she might become a member of her master’s family who owned the land that she rent for workplace. She might be not Mia Luang but a Praya’s daughter in law.

Mia Luang = a woman that parents go to ask for. To have a wedding ceremony properly and she get the highest honor in the house

Poodtaan thought what she should do now. She thought back about Pra Rueang’s blessing. She was rather certain that he knew about this. Thinking of him made her very calm and he might be trying to help her there. Her life passed a big changing when she was young. This time was another change that she needed to accept.

“Be conscious, I have to be conscious.” She gave herself moral support. She thought that if she would like to be familiar with the new place she should go out to broaden her view because just asking could not help much. For now she was worried about the time difference over 300 years. Life being, language and culture would be different from where she came from. How could she live?

“Thank you (Khun Yai Gui) very much. It is very kind of you to help me (Noo).” Poodtann thanked Nang Gui.

“You speak very strange. If you wouldn’t like people to say about this, try to speak like we do.” Nang Gui said.

“When you talk with adults, to end with Jao Ka (เจ้าค่ะ) Jao Ka (เจ้าคะ) will be more beautiful and call yourself “Ka (ข้า)” will be more appropriate.

*******From now Pootaan called herself “ka” and used “Jao Ka”. Yai Gui called Poodtaan “Aor Jao”.

Nang Gui taught Poodtaan and when seeing her bright round eyes staring obediently and intentionally she felt kind to her. Her manners didn't look like general elite women but her appearance and her skin was more beautiful than those. Nang Gui could not help touching her arm. He skin was smooth, soft and warm.

“In the heaven would you have gold and gem palace, wouldn’t you? Why do you come here? Does the adult angel curse you down? Do you have your parents? Were you adult since you were born?

“Khun Yai Jao Ka, I’m a human not angel. I just got lost. Oh! the Knoi book. It must be that book pulling me here. She reminded.

“Muen is a rank, his name is Rit and his title conferred by Khun Luang is Maharit. It was a position of royal page” Nang Gui answered.

Poodtaan listened but what she could do only to blink her eyes. She didn’t understand much. Her knowledge about the title of nobble, she gave back to her teacher at the high school already.

Yai Gui made her face strange with Poodtaan’s word calling her but she started to get over it. Though Poodtaan mixed words together she had tried. At least she would be smart to learn more.

“Taan (Muen Maharit) was Praya Wisootsakorn’s son. His house is over there not far from the garden where you appeared. This garden belongs to Praya Wisootsakorn also. I’m a Phrai being up to him (Phrai = a person who belongs to a prince or noble) according to my parents. I still rent this land because I’m a caretaker. I have no husband to protect me.” Yai Gui told her.

“Speaking honestly Na Jao Ka, I don’t know much about the administration. What do I do to make myself look like people here? Poodtaan said seriously.

“You have to register as a Phrai. Women are not so strong like men. Generally it is just to register only. Women do not have to be enlisted to work like men.
“Why do I have to register Jao ka? Can I independent?

“Yes, you can because you are a woman. Royal people do not want woman workers. But if you are Phrai of him, when you encounter any problem he could help you. I’m a Phrai of Praya Wisootsakorn. If you are with me I have to take you to register also. And we will help each other to do the garden.

“If they are men they have to work for the public/royal/noble work. If not they have to give them “suay (ส่วย)” instead. For women they never ask for Suay. When my husband was alive he rent this land from his father (Praya Hora Thibodi) so he (Praya Wisootsakorn) is kind to us. We pay him the rent annually. We grow vegetables and fruits. We usually give him some. Some years our garden was not productive and we didn’t give him anything but he never blamed on us. Both of them (Praya Hora Thibodi and Praya Wisootsakorn are very kind. They never extort Prai or trouble them.”

Yai Gui explained such a long story because she believed that the girl in front of her was not accustomed to human being world.

Sauy = Suay was a kind of imcome of the land. It might be items, currency or anything that were used instead of entering to work for the government/royal/noble service.
When male citezens who didn't want to be enlisted to work for public/royal/noble, they had to submit other things instead like Faang, grass for Royal Elephants, money etc.
Faang = a name of a small tree with thorns, yellow flowers, read wood used to dye cloth and make a medicine.

“Well, I get it. Let me summarize. Khun Yai is Praya Wisootsakorn’s a Phrai. Khun Yai is a widow. And what about Khun Glin?”

“Just call her Mae Glin.” To me you should call me Yai. It shouldn’t have “Khun (ขุน) in front. It is inappropriate. I used to marry but my husband had died for a long time and we had no children. Mae Glin is my distant relative. Her parents died of smallpox so I looked after her since then”

Yai Gui’s Khun = ขุน =
Word used to precede the name of the person who is of King's descent, in order to admire or respect him.
Spelling of these words in English are the same but in Thai they have different letter, tone and meaning.

“Ouch! What you say is difficult (ยากชะมัด -Yaak cha mut) for me but understandable.” Poodtaan said.

Nang Gui tried to ignore Poodtaan’s words and made her voice tete –a – tete whisper.

“Hm I’m not a magician Na Jao Ka, Khun Yai but I can grow vegetables, trees and decorate the garden. I studied it.”

“I can read and write. My father and my husband used to do royal work so they taught me. Mae Glin cannot but she can calculate when trading.” Nang Gui answered.

“Are you literate?” Nang Gui asked

“Yes, I am but I don’t think I could read and write well here.”

“There would be some difference between the language in the heaven and the one here so when you speak it sounds strange.”

“It would be like that.” Poodtaan was discouraged to explain when Yai Gui still was convinced that she came from the heaven. Poodtaan didn’t know why Yai Gui was confident that she had promised with a deity to take care of her. Anyway it was useful for her.

“Now you have to change your clothes. I will tell Nang Ung to help you dress up. Then we are going to the market to buy things.” Yai Gui said and got up to look down at some servants moving things below and assigned them work with loud and powerful voice.

Poodtaan was surprised looking at her who was an old woman but energetic and smart. Because of 300 years different time Poodtaan thought women in this era would be weak and were under the mandate of men. Though Yai Gui had thoughts and beliefs that were hard to understand she wasn’t different from adult women who had self –confident at her time. She was able to live on her own without having a new husband.
Nang Ung helped Poodtaan dress up. The clothes that she brought belonged to Mae Glin. Yai Gui looked at Poodtaan coming out of the bamboo weaving partition with worrying. Poodtaan ‘s muddy clothes were near the bed. Yai Gui told Nang Aon to bring them to wash.

When this girl dressed up in Pa nung, it was harmonious with people in Pranaknon now. She had no decorations except for her gold necklace but she looked good.

“I have to buy new cloth for Mae Glin too or she certainly complains. Yai Gui told Pootaan and said “Be patient using Mae Glin’s old clothes. The fabric is expensive. I’m not so rich.” Yai Gui said.

Nang Aon picked up Poodtaan’s bra that was placed since she passed out, and looked with interest before looking at the underpants. Nang Ung was interested in also. Poodtaan hurried to grab underwear and simpered when she saw those surprised eyes of Yai Gui, Nang Aon and Nang Ung.

What are they? Why are they so small to close just the top and the bottom? I would have asked you after you recovered but I forgot.” Yai Gui asked.

Poodtaan moved awkwardly, now she was wearing only Sabai and Pa nung. For a few moments she had to walk in the market. Life would be very colorful if Pa nung or Sabai fell off in the middle of the market. It was good that Nang Ung used a banana rope to tie Pa nung tightly. She tried to pull the rim of Sabai and tucked it with unfamiliarity.

“Your name and your clothes are not similar to anyone. E Aon, take the clothes to wash at the pier. Nang Ung, come with us.”

“I will wash these 2 pieces by myself. P’Aon doesn’t have to do.” Poodtaan said.

Nang Aon gaped when she heard Poodtaan call her P’. She turned to look at Yai Gui with worrying. This woman was so beautiful and she saw Yai Gui spoke to her with highly praised. Yai Gui might look after her as another niece like Mae Glin. That meant she might become her lady boss too. So Nang Aon crouched with respect.

“You just do it only the shirt and the pants. That’s enough” Poodtaan said and felt uncomfortable.

For the underwear if she really had to live here she had to find way to make it but her sewing skills were not good. Most of the torn clothes would become a rag rather than be repaired. She might ask people here to sew it for her but if she hired other people to do, she needed to have money but now she had not even a baht. If she asked for it from Yai Gui she was afraid of offending her. So she had to do something to raise money to spend and pay back for the things that Yai Gui had given.

Going out to see the outside world should give her to find the way out and she still had to chase that khoi book. Because she was here by touching it, the way back certainly would have to be related to it.

A male servant paddled and Mae Ung steered. The weather was rather hot in the afternoon. But it was not too hot because there were trees along the way. After passing the mouth of Klong Glaeb, Yai Gui peeped her with sympathy.

“Klong Glaab and we are going to the area of Wat Bang Khun Prom and Toon Mak to find Sabai for Mae Glin and 2 Sueer Chiek Oak for you. You couldn’t put on Mae Glin’s because it will be loose.” She said while glancing at Poodtaan’s breasts that were much different from Mae Glin’s.

Oak = อก = breasts

“My mother might not give me much (not give her big breasts) but I have them suitably (not too small). I can put on Mae Glin’s blouse.

Poodtaan hurriedly told Yai Gui to prevent her from disparaging the genuine things that her mother gave (her breasts). She determined in her mind that the bra that would be made, need to have some space for putting kapok inside to make it bigger. Oak Hak Rueng Lek Oak Lek Rueng Yai

Oak Hak Rueng Lek Oak Lek Si Rueng Yai is a slang used for making a joke about small and big breasts.

Oak Hak = Heartbroken
Oak =breasts, chest
Hak = break
Rueng Lek = small matter
Rueng = matter
Lek = small
Oak Lek = small breasts
Rueng Yai = a big deal
Yai = big

The words that heard leaving a wonder in Yai Gui 's eyes but Poodtaan didn't care about it. Her eyes looked on the both sides of the river to compare with her world. There were so many houses on both sides. Most were made from bamboo. Some housed were houseboat. It was not like Ayutthaya province in her era that some parts were full of grass. Some parts were crowded with waterfront cement house. Poodtaan saw some charred houses long line and turned to ask Yai Gui with big eyes.

“Yes, it often happens. When it happens it goes along the entire strip because the house was made of bamboo. It is easily ignited.” Yai Gui said.
“They are located on the waterfront. Why couldn't they put the fire out?” Poodtaan asked.

“Some they could but if they could not, there are bamboo merchants coming from Ampawa. Bamboo is easy to find and so cheap that it is just like you get it free and to build a house takes a short time.” Yai Gui answered while chewing betel nut in a good mood.

“Yai Gui Jao Ka, please remember how much you have spent for me. I will earn money to give you back every baht every stang.

“Sa..what is stang?

“No, we don’t. We have only chang, tamlueng, baht, salueng, fueang, phai, glam, glom, bia.”

Glam, Glom what? Poodtaan listened and felt breathless but she told Yai Gui that “I will give your money back every baht every bia then.”

“It doesn’t matter. Although I'm not rich it's only a few fueangs, I don't mind. You lost from home to live in a place that you don't know. How can I be cruel?”

“But it is not good, so please think of it as a loan first. For I would be able to make money or not and when I could give it back to you...I still don't know.

She said shyly making Made Kui laugh until Nam Mak nearly spread Out. (Nam Mak = saliva mixed with betel)

Yai Gui thought this girl was not too bad. It was appropriate that the one who brought her here was a deity. At least she didn’t think to take things from other people without giving them back.

@Amata, thank you for the long translation....

lamchieu

sarNie Adult
@Rosi @friends

Chapter III (Raw file)

When Poodtaan saw things around clearly she realized what happened. She sat up and found that she was in a bed with a thin mattress. Her body part that was kicked would be bruised because it was immediately painful. She looked to the side and saw there was an old woman sitting looking at her. There was a girl sitting away. Poodtaan’s clothes were changed to Pa nung and Pa tab. When she bowed down to look at herself she felt shy but she tried to suppress confusion in her mind. Those who could answer some questions probably would be the old woman in front of her.

“You asked many questions. Which question would you like us to answer first? Your words are different than ours” That girl said and turned to say to the old woman.

Joong Grabain

Julasakkaraj = Thai minor Era. It started in 1181 B.E. (638 A.D.). The year round was 16th April to 15th April. At the present Thailand uses B.E.

The pain from being kicked made her know she didn’t dream and now her conscious was too clear and complete to think it was a hallucination.

“Ouch! You are not making any sense. Don’t you know even Khun Luang? “ Mae Glin could not help saying that. But when she saw Poodtaan’s confused and harmless manner, her harsh eyes went softer.

“She doesn’t know she comes from the other place.” Nang Gui told her niece.

In the middle was a wide high platform covered with a pavilion. These houses were built in a simple style but strong. There were with both hardwood and bamboo parts. When looking behind the houses, there was a long bamboo house with thatched roof from which there was smoke floating slowly. It would be the kitchen part.

“My name is Poodtaan.”

KRUNGTHEPMAHANAKHON AMONRATTANAKOSIN MAHINTHARAYUTTHAYA MAHADILOKPHOP NOPPHARATRATCHATHANIBURIROM UDOMRATCHANIWETMAHASATHAN AMONPHIMANAWATANSATHIT SAKKATHATTIYAWITSANUKAMPRASIT

Poodtaan thanked Asanee and Wasan Chotikul because one of their album having a song named “Krungthepmahanakhon” The content of the whole song is the full name of Krungthep. That helps Thai people remember its full name.

Meaning :
Krungthepmahanakhon = Great city of the angels
Amornrattanakosin = City where the Emerald Buddha is enshrined
Mahintharayutthaya = Great city that no one can win (battle, war).
Mahadilokphop = Greatest world/land
Nopparatratachathaniburiroom = Magnificent City of the Nine Gems, very pleasant
Udomratchaniwethmahasathan = Great City of Royal Palaces
Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit = Erected by Visvakarman at Indra’s Behest.

“Yes, we can. I have anything to tell you.” Nang said and got up, walk into a small room and came back with a tray in her hand.

“Last night her relative gave it to me in my dream. He was a deity.

Nang Gui place the ruby back on the tray while looking Poodtaan with expectation. It this girl didn’t eat she might have ambrosia.

Chon som?” She asked.

Chon Som
Chon = ช้อน = Spoon
Som = ส้อม = Fork
Chon Som = Spoon + Fork
Chon Som = Fork

Red color rice that sticky, soft, sweet and delicious got along with the salty grilled fish. Poodtaan got stuck when seeing every eye intentionally looking her eating. It looked like they were observing or trying to find fault.

Nang Ung was relieved and smiled to Nang Aon who sitting beside. This girl suddenly appeared in the middle of the garden when the sun light went out. No one knew how she came here despite everyone staring at the same point. No one knew where she walked from. Both of them (Nang Ung and Nang Aon) had touched her body while carrying. They were still afraid if Pootaan was a ghost. They would be in trouble because they touched her while carrying. Nang Aim knew nothing because she went out to look over servants picking crops since dawn.

After getting stuck for a moment Poodtann continued to eat until almost all. Due to not having curry soup she felt unsmooth in her throat. She had to pour water from a clay pottery. After drinking she felt refreshing because the water tasted good and cool.

Poodtaan didn’t understand all what they talked but she knew she needed some time to learn where she was now and it was in which period of Thai history. She needed to learn how to behave in order to help herself safe in the future. Her brain began to work now after having food.

“Mae Glin, Tell servants to take vegetables to Praya Wisootsakorn’s house. Today I heard from Muen Rit that his 2 sisters will return home. I think they would stay for days.”

Poodtaan listened but what she could do only to blink her eyes. She didn’t understand much. Her knowledge about the title of nobble, she gave back to her teacher at the high school already.

“Taan (Muen Maharit) was Praya Wisootsakorn’s son. His house is over there not far from the garden where you appeared. This garden belongs to Praya Wisootsakorn also. I’m a Phrai being up to him (Phrai = a person who belongs to a prince or noble) according to my parents. I still rent this land because I’m a caretaker. I have no husband to protect me.” Yai Gui told her.

“Why do I have to register Jao ka? Can I independent?

Yai Gui’s Khun = ขุน =
Word used to precede the name of the person who is of King's descent, in order to admire or respect him.

“Are you literate?” Nang Gui asked

“Yes, I am but I don’t think I could read and write well here.”

Poodtaan was surprised looking at her who was an old woman but energetic and smart. Because of 300 years different time Poodtaan thought women in this era would be weak and were under the mandate of men. Though Yai Gui had thoughts and beliefs that were hard to understand she wasn’t different from adult women who had self –confident at her time. She was able to live on her own without having a new husband.

When this girl dressed up in Pa nung, it was harmonious with people in Pranaknon now. She had no decorations except for her gold necklace but she looked good.

Poodtaan moved awkwardly, now she was wearing only Sabai and Pa nung. For a few moments she had to walk in the market. Life would be very colorful if Pa nung or Sabai fell off in the middle of the market. It was good that Nang Ung used a banana rope to tie Pa nung tightly. She tried to pull the rim of Sabai and tucked it with unfamiliarity.

Oak = อก = breasts

Oak Hak = Heartbroken
Oak =breasts, chest
Hak = break
Rueng Lek = small matter
Rueng = matter
Lek = small
Oak Lek = small breasts
Rueng Yai = a big deal
Yai = big

The words that heard leaving a wonder in Yai Gui 's eyes but Poodtaan didn't care about it. Her eyes looked on the both sides of the river to compare with her world. There were so many houses on both sides. Most were made from bamboo. Some housed were houseboat. It was not like Ayutthaya province in her era that some parts were full of grass. Some parts were crowded with waterfront cement house. Poodtaan saw some charred houses long line and turned to ask Yai Gui with big eyes.

“Sa..what is stang?

“But it is not good, so please think of it as a loan first. For I would be able to make money or not and when I could give it back to you...I still don't know.

She said shyly making Made Kui laugh until Nam Mak nearly spread Out. (Nam Mak = saliva mixed with betel)

Love the way you took time to explain the language differences, we can understand more about Thai traditions and Poodtaan’s struggles. It’s seems Poodtaan was in disadvantages in comparison to Kadesurang because she doesn’t know about history and old languages like Kadesurang. And she definitely not someone to be bullied easily. Interesting!

Rosi2

Samee's wifey #42
Thanks for this shot of Pope on ordinary days. He still looks wonderful, slippers and all. Can't wait for his movie series to start, missing him already. It's been too long since BPS; at least Bella she was in the recent with James Ji.

Am presently starting something from 2016, found it on nekoblogspot. It's Koo Prab Chabab Huajai (Love Rivalry); just by the first episode I want the leads to be together. The girl Praemai is poor, but elegant, dignified. Marwin is the rich hero who misunderstood she's his dad's girlfriend (she's not) & bullies her bad.

Last edited: