ก็เพราะว่ารักมันล้นในใจ ถึงฉันไม่บอกไปแต่เธอก็รู้
Gor pror wah ruk mun lon nai jai teung chun mai bauk bpai dtae tur gor roo
Because love is overflowing in my heart, even though I don’t tell you, you know

cr. translation deungdutjai

Last edited:

lamchieu

sarNie Adult
@Rosi @Friends
As you know Khun Rompaeng had updated PL on her facebook and now 5 chapters have been released for fan. I have translated the chapter I. I’m not sure for the rest. Chapter I is important as it is about the background of the key character of this story “Poodtaan”.
Chapter I
A little girl was looking at shadow of. The blur of the dusk made her not be able to see that person clearly. His/her clothes looked strange. It looked like him/her wearing only a shoulder cloth and the bottom part looked like pants. It was so strange that she had to tell her parents sitting at the front of the car.

“Mom, there is someone wearing strange clothes standing on the roadside looking at us.” She told her mother with a voice of a 6-year-old child.
“What? You talk nonsense again” Wipawan said while looking at the speed monitor, 100 km/hour.

“You could drive slower. Are you tired?” She said and asked her husband. He looked tired because he had to get up early to take her and their daughter to make a merit at a wat/temple that was far from the community and afterwards went to a wedding party of his colleague/Subordinate.

“I have told you, let Nai Git drive the car but you would like to do it by yourself. It would be good if we find a place around here to get some rest before.” She said

“Oh no, I would like to get home soon” Her husband Chaimit said. He smiled a little and went back to concentrate on driving.

“Today it was nice to meet Khun Na Sipang at the wat. Unbelievable she was ordained as a nun here for a long time. We knew nothing despite coming here often.” She talked to her husband to get him alert after seeing that he would not like to rest.

(Na = น้า –used for calling mother ‘s younger sister or anyone who is younger than her, Sipang – the name of Gade’s Mom).

“Um” her husband said. “I feel bad for her. Gade should not have died at her young age.

(Translating word by word from Thai Wipawan said “Gade should not have a little merit.” This is an idiom. It means she should not have a short life/she should have had a long life.)

Now she had died for 5 years and Pra RueangRit would be a monk throughout his life. Wipawan said like she mused. What the servant who followed to take care of Sipang at the wat told her was still in her memory.

The servant said “Pra Rueang was very sad when Khun Gade died. He loved her very much. Now he might feel better but he still insisted he would not leave the Buddha monkhood. Khun Yai Naun (Gade’s grandma) was Yoom Oop Pat Taak (attendant of the monk/Pra Rueang) until the end of her life. Laung Por (Gade’s father who was a monk too) had died 3 years ago. Khun Sipang was left alone so she sold her house and came to stay in the wat permanently. I think it is good. I rejoiced in her merit so I came here to live with her.”

“I like Khun Yai Sipang (Yai = grandma). 6 year old Pud taan said.
“Khun Yai is kind to you too. She said your face looks like her daughter when she was young. Why not! Although we are distant relatives we still have some the same blood line” Wipawan said with a laugh and thought of things that happened there daytime in the wat.

Pra RueangRit stared at her daughter. Though the expression of his eyes looked a little strange he would mercy on her because he gave her a red sacred cord with wooden bead. Even Sipang’s servant secretly told her that Pra Rueang never gave anyone a talisman.

“I (Noo) like this wooden bead.” the girl raised the cord pleasedly rubbing the little bead back and forth. The monk in the dark yellow robe with high mercy on his face still was in her memory.

“I like Pra Rueang also. When I grow up I will marry him.” Her confident voice made both Wipawan and Mitchai laughed

“You are precocious” Mitchai warned her with not strong voice.
“It’s true. I love him. Even if he doesn’t love me, I’m ok
Her word that should not be the words of a child make Wipawan had to pretend to tell her with a serious voice”

“It was a sin, he would not leave the monkhood” Wipawan said.

“Mom, there is someone looking at us again” Pud taan said but not finished yet, the sound of the wheel grinding the road surface resounded the road. It was so loud that people who heard felt horrify.

The bright light dived in with loud screams. The shock faces of two adults’ sitting together happened just one moment before their bodies under the seat belt were struck and swung without direction. The little girl sitting at the back her eyes opened widely with shock before everything turned out dark.

Pra RueangRit opened his eyes together with a long sigh. That spirit still was confused and had been seeking a way for thousand years. One of the reasons might be due to his deeds and his decision. Although this life, karma easing up had made the crux of sin and the curse of Jao Gum Nai Wein to 2 women sparse but it didn’t reach of the point of relieving. Maybe Above might have the answer of the whole story. The young monk looked up at the moon. It was just a crescent moon tonight.

***** Jao Gum Nai Wain (เจ้ากรรมนายเวร) =persons with previous deeds on each other = enemies of our present and former lives including all people who we had done bad deeds on.)
***** Above (เบื้องบน) = Heaven, God, Angels etc.

If he passed this life (to have the next life. His smile was like a lotus had just sprung from the water popped up at the corner of his thick wavy mouth. He knew all but he could not resist. Passion had pulled him into the cycle of rebirth and death so firmly because 1 of the 2 women was his beloved one. He didn’t care how many times he had to return to this world. He just wanted these births to bring the one he loved to be together. That was enough.

Wipawee looked at the little child in front of her reading Aesop's Fables, with the feeling of both despise and sympathy. Her parents died but this child had no any organs broken except for bruises and abrasion and she didn’t say anything for 6 months. Now she was better starting speaking so she could go to school as usual.

In her feelings even she herself didn’t know why she didn't like this child but she was better than other relatives who only thought of the heritage of her parents. This child had many things that were different from ordinary children. Other children would be afraid and cry after the bad incident but Poodtaan was not like that. The clear pure eyes sometimes had strange glitter and looked like she knew what the other people were thinking and accepted her situation at the same time. And when seeing and listening to those relatives her eyes were harsh and she flicked her sight like adults.
“This kid’s eyes were evil, she looked disobedient.” A closed relative visited Wipawee to ask about the heritage of Poodtaan's parents that would belong to their daughter. She seldom liked Poodtaan too.

“She might watch lakorn NamNao too much. Her parents when being alive they indulged their child. Having only one child would be like this”
Wipawee said that comfortably. The reason of her good mood was not because she was the person who took care of Poodtaan but another reason.
It was certain that Wipawee was the person who got the right to manage the heritage of her sister and brother in law. Some belongings, jewelry, gold jewelry were taken out of the house before she got the right. That made her frustrated. So when those relatives were zealous because they could not do anything after the right of everything belonged to her. That made her in a good mood every time she thought about it.
Poodtaan’s parents were careless because they didn’t think their lives would end up so early like this. The manipulation of their property is not difficult. She could do it but she didn’t.

The reasons were that she felt bad for Poodtaan and felt she had to protect her. These feelings were above any reason as well as the feeling of disgusting the child without cause. However, she had to take care of Poodtaan because she was single. She didn’t have any relatives so close as Poodtaan.

Afternoon hot sunshine made even the green trees wither. It was extremely hot in every molecule of the air. Poodtaan used a loincloth wiped sweat on her face and sighed tiredly when seeing beige stained on the cloth.

“When will there be a good foundation 100 percent not coming off when sweat.

I have to apply every hour. It’s boring to do so.”

“You put the cloth around your head and ears so completely that you could be a mummy. Why do you still complain? Hurry up! After this clump we have another 2 points. That’s enough for today.” This gruff voice came from a big giant man. He reiterated before walking to command the workers who were digging out enthusiastic.

“P’Mee, aren’t you coming to the site the day after tomorrow? Poodtaan looked up asking him thus revealing her bright eyes catching eyes of people.
“No, I’m not. I have an urgent matter. You have to do it for me. It is not difficult. You just follow our plan.”
“It is terribly hot in Ayutthaya.” She said while jerking her long sleeved shirt soaked with sweat and fluttered the shirt frequently to allow the wind to relieve heat.
“It’s like that.” P’ Mee said. “Anyway after the internship contract expires at the end of this month, would you continue to master?” P’ Mee asked.
“How can I do that? I have no money” Poodtaan told him.
“Hey! What about the money from your parents’ heritage? Is it used up?
“Yes it is, but it’s good to find a job to do. My aunt would stop complaining."
Poodtaan walked to the other point that would be decorated as an ornamental plant garden to tell workers to put seedlings into pits and she helped them too. Her senior who worked for this company came to help as well despite his duty just to oversee the work.
“Come to work at this company if you would like to” P’ Mee continued talking.
Silence was the answer. It was understandable because of her beautiful and outstanding appearance making her a focus of the owner of the company. He was married but he always had news with girls. He flirted every time he met her. That made her not think of working with this company.
“Let’s talk about it another time” Poodtaan said.
If there wasn’t any company to work for, she might have to work here for a while but she would be stressed with a gossip about her using connection including having to be careful the snake on the head of the company owner. She hoped a little self – defense she used to learn would help her if necessary.

***** In Thailand sometimes we call an old man who likes flirting with young girls “Tao Hua njoo”
Tao = เฒ่า = Old man
Hua = หัว = Head
Ngoo = งู = Snake
Tao Hua Ngoo = เฒ่าหัวงู = Old man with snake head

Danai, who his friends and his juniors called him “Mee” according to his appearance looking like a kind bear, looked at Poodtaan’s energetic attitude with satisfaction. She was slender but persevering and tolerate. She was appropriate being his junior. There was only one disadvantage that her habit sometimes was harsh (RANG!!!) until it became rumor

*****In a university in Thailand there are some words that use to call people who come to study in the same university before and after.

Roon P’ (who comes to study before and older) = รุ่นพี่ = Senior
Roon Nong (who comes after and younger) = รุ่นน้อง = Junior

Poodtaan was never scared of anyone. Her words could cut to the heart of people different from her appearance. She had a high tolerance but when she lost it she would be like a mad cow being able to run into anyone. But she usually never began any argument first and rather kept quiet. He was quite satisfied with this kind of behavior and she was his sorority little sister too. Their characteristics were similar so he got along with her well.

“’I’ll take you to the hotel” P’ Mee said.

“It’s ok for me to get there by motorcycle. It takes me a short time. But you should go now or you have to drive fast to get home before dark. Poodtaan told him quickly.
Though her memory faded away she knew that her parents had died because of driving fast to get home. She would not like anyone to have the same fate as her family. P’ Mee nodded easily before walking to his and drove away.

She caught the heart-shaped locket rubbing around with familiarity looking at the road paved with bricks in front the house and thought back over 10 years ago. She revived with a lost memory that made her not having any feeling about her parents’ funeral. When there was no bond, there was no pain. What she could remember made her feel pictures and surroundings she saw wasn’t what she was familiar with. Even her parents picture in the locket she had no memory about them. However the locket always warmed her heart.

The accident would affect her brain more than losing memory because she could learn and understand various things more than other children at the same age. That allowed her study getting ahead after she had to stay for treatment about 1 year since the accident. She would get bachelor degree this year at the age of 20. Before learning what she liked she had to be patient with her aunt. Wipawee would like her to learn medicine more than to learn how to grow vegetables or grass according to her satirical words.

She gave her ultimatum if Poodtaan learned to be a doctor she would pay her money for Poodtaan education. If not she would not pay even a baht she would use the money from Poodtaan’s heritage.
Of course, she chose to indulge herself more than her aunt and had gone to study in a distance from the capital. It made her aunt who usually didn’t like her more dissatisfied.

Wipawee unwillingly looked after her. She didn’t love her and sent her to a boarding school after she had recovered from the accident. Pudtann had no close friends. It didn’t mean there was no one came to be friends but it was because of herself didn’t want to associate with anyone. It might be the deep suspicion that she felt with her relatives who came for benefit. Sometimes she felt that her life was empty, had nobody and here was not her place.

Under the fuzzy memory, it had created a summary of her thoughts. 8 year old girl could perceive the thought of adults who came to exploit what her parents built. Even she herself didn’t know that how these feelings occurred. It seemed she used to meet many more events that she was taken advantage and could not protect herself.

The feeling of being bored from being treated and the idea that these treasures having nothing belonging to her, made eight- year - old girl that time didn't pay any attention to what happened as if these were worthless for her. Except for the locket with her parents’ picture that she kept it with her all the time because it presented love and warmth that she nearly didn’t know.

Poodtaan looked at the plan in her hand before looking at the point that hadn't been dig out. It might be the haze or whatever changed the image of dry mound in front of her into another one with lush shrubs and ditches. She blinked her eyes and found that the mound still was the dry one that it should be.
“I should check my eyes, see mistakenly too often” She said to herself and walked to check some stuff.

Wipawee weighed her mind before looked up a name on the phone and called. She was nearly moody because of long waiting.
“Sawasdee Ka Khun Pa” Poodtaan answered the phone.
“What are you doing? Why have you just answered? I am waiting”
“I was working but now it is finished. My hands were dirty then so I could not answer the phone.” Poodtaan answered
“I would like to know about your birthday. It’s tomorrow. Would you like to go to the wat? Wipawee asked
Yes, I would. Would you come with me? Poodtaan asked her aunt.
Yes, I would like to talk to Khun Sipang too. I don’t know why I feel uneasy now. Would you like to go there on your birthday or afterwards?
“It’d better tomorrow. The day after tomorrow I have to work for many days.”
After making an appointment both hang up the phone.

Making merit and giving alms might be the only thing that both aunt and niece could get along with. It was one thing that Wipawee felt good about Poodtaan. Although her words might be not good to relatives her heart was not bad.

This forest temple was still calm as before. Tree wall was like a fence between the monk part and the one that people came to practice as well as nuns. It looked nice and tidy. Mae Chee Sipang looked at a familiar face with a calm and merciful face.

They were so similar!! If this girl was born later than 3 years she would think that her daughter came back to be born again

Although she didn't look like Gadesurang exactly, but they looked so similar that if anyone said they were sisters there would be people believed it. Even gesture was almost similar except for expression of her eyes that were more harsh, not like her cheerful daughter and her figure was much more slender than Gade.

***** Mae Chee = Nun

"I would like to hear the dharma of Luang Por Ruang. Khun Yai, Khun Pa" Poodtaan said.
"To be there keeping your manners, Poodtaan” Wipawee reiterated when seeing her niece energetic to meet the monk but she heard only her niece's laugh.

"The older Poodtaan was the more she looked like Gade” Sipang said with tears in her eyes but she was able to immediately suppress it with a mental practice for many years.
“They were similar but Gade was lovelier” Wipawee said.
“You’re strange. You look after Poodtaan since she was young why do you still find fault with her?”
“I don’t understand myself also. It is not both love and hate. Poodtaan has something that makes me not able to love or hate her. Wipawee told Sipang.
“It might be “Boon Tum Gum Taeng”.” Sipang said

***** Boon Tum Gum Taeng (บุญทำกรรมแต่ง) = the merit and sin that were done in the past life determines the destiny of this life.
A few temple children walked with Poodtaan under the old wooden cubicle but it looked clean before they went to prepare tea and water for Phra Rueang. Some sat down and weaved the mat that remained in order to be Poodtaan’s companion to avoid gossip that a woman was with the monk alone. Poodtaan saw the monk. She felt delighted every time she met him.

“Laung Por Jao Ka, I come to receive blessing for my birthday (Jao Ka)”

The eyes of the monk turned down and still did not move. There were only eyelids twitching a bit showing that he recognized.
After sitting he stared at Poodtaan‘s face.
“You have turned 20, Poodtaan.” The monk said.
Jao Ka” Poodtaan accepted.
“I would like you to insist on consciousness. No matter what happens in your life if you are conscious, everything would go well. No matter what happens badly if you try to solve consciously wisdom would happen and you could get through any problem. This year I bless you just one word “Be conscious!”

Poodtaan was silent. Many years ago this monk just prayed and gave a short blessing and asked about her education, health or life being. What he said would become clear and exactly happened to her. So she had to think about what he told and was always careful.

“What do I have to meet?” Poodtaan asked. The temple boy who talked to each other away also listened. There was a rumor that Pra Rueang knew the future. Some people liked to crack code out of what he said into number and they were lucky winning the lottery.

“You will meet what you have to meet and you cannot keep away. Remember my words, to be conscious, to think well before doing anything because what you do will affect yourself and others.”

Afterwards Pra Rueang prayed for her special long before he went back to his cubicle. Poodtaan looked after him with doubt. She sat cross-legged resting for a while then she prostrated the monk in the cubicle three times.

“P’ Taan what did Laung Por say a moment ago?” A temple boy who was rather familiar with her crawled to ask her.

“What? Are you cracking into number for Pa Nong to buy the lottery again? Poodtaan got up and walked out of there. Three 15 year old temple boys followed her. They still would like to know what the monk said.

“Luang Por would be afraid of Dok Pikul falling from his mouth. He never speaks to anyone for a long time like you. Every time you come here you always had a chance to listen for a long time. And aunts in the kitchen win the lottery nearly every time you come. It is a fortune for our mouth too. Please, think that you make merit.”
“It’s a sin being sarcastic to the monk. Putaan pretended to frown at the boys to make them all less zealous. The one who said slapped his mouth 3 times before putting his hands together to pay respect towards the cubicle.

***** Be afraid of Pikunthong falling from the mouth

This idiom comes from one of Thai Folktales “Pikunthong”. It is one of the most popular plays in Ayutthaya period.
“Pikun” = the name of a tree. Its flowers are fragrant.
Thong = gold
In the folktale Piguntong was a daughter of a g0vernor. She was very beautiful and when she spoke there would be gold Pigun flowers (Dok Pikunthong) falling out from her mouth.
The idiom is used for sarcastic to people who seldom speak or talk to anyone. When we ask them one word they would answer us one word. It looks like they are afraid of Pikun (Dok Pigun) falling from their mouths

***** putting his hands together to pay respect = Wai

*****a fortune for our mouth = Lap Pak = ลาภปาก
This means when aunts in the kitchen win the lottery they will treat the temple boys food also.

“He tells me to be conscious. Whatever I meet, try to solve it consciously and carefully. It won’t hurt myself and others. Poodtaan told them.

“How I can crack the numbers then? P’ taan turn 20 this year so I will tell Pa Nung to buy 20.

“Ha! Would you give me only 20 years old? You have to buy 21, add my age too. Poodtaan said laughing loudly before closing her mouth quickly because of the parish.
“It’s true.” All boys said the same time before Wai Poodtaan and ran towards the kitchen.

Poodtaan shook her head laughing. ‘The lottery is really up in their brains.”

Poodtaan walked back to dharma yard, she found Wipawee sat meditating with other people and Khun Yai Sipang then she looked for shady location and did the same.

Poodtaan remembered the first time she came here with Wipawee over 1 year after the accident. She was trained to meditate. It was so destressed for her. She did it about 5 minutes, she felt so hot like being burned. She had to change sitting to walking around and she met Pra Rueang by chance. He taught her to meditate again as if he knew what she had found. Immediately she sat just less than 5 minutes it happened again. The monk uttered the prayer. The heat reduced becoming comfortable warmth for a moment then cool like the wind blowing and calm.
Pra Rueng told her to share loving kindness to Jao Gum Nai Wain. He allowed her to receive blessing from him on her birthday. He also told her to meditate most often to dedicate the merit to Jao Gum Nai Wain.
When she grew up though there were always temple boys sitting with her alternately depending on who were free none of them sat so long as her. They didn’t disturb her. Everyone was busy with work under the cubicle sweeping, scrubbing, cleaning or weaving a mat near her. So she and some of temple boys grew up together and knew each other well.

Sometimes Poodtaan thought that if she could not find any job ordination here should be a good choice but there was something in her mind holding her back. She felt she had some things to do. Things that she had to pay and things that she had to get it back. All were a big burden. These thoughts she never told anyone. She had no close friends to open up and she herself did not understand how these feelings happened with her.

After Poodtaan prostrated Mae Chee Sipang and left the wat. Wipawee drove her to the hotel in Ayutthaya and opened a room at the same hotel as her niece.
“After working tomorrow, come back here quickly I’ll treat you grilled prawns and go back home together the day after tomorrow.” Wipawee said.
Poodtaan was quiet for a while. Wipawee usually didn’t care about her return after she refused to learn medicine. She rolled her eyes once and stared at her aunt’s face still.
Why? I would like to take some rest. It’s good if I have you a companion. It's better than to do it alone.
“Strange.” Pudtann mused shaking her head and went back to her room.

Today morning sunshine was so weird orange that Poodtaan had to open the curtain looking outside. She put on her clothes and ready for working today. She thought that it was a heavy day because Danai didn't come.

Poodtaan walked down to the dining room. She saw Wipawee having porridge. Wipawee nodded to her. Aunt and niece had food together before moving to their ways without much talk. Poodtaan was walking out but Wipawee called her.
“Taan don’t forget to come back to have food with me” Wipawee looked at Poodtaan’s smile. That smile made Poodtaan’s big eyes bright and created s some feelings for Wipawee.
Her niece walked away her hands that beginning having wrinkle of age holding her left chest that was twitching irregularly like she was losing something. But she was a person who didn’t think much. She brushed away that feeling and picked up her phone looking for interesting places and the place for relax massage to kill the time waiting for Poodtaan.

Many workers came together and had started working. Some raised the seedlings from the truck that had just arrived. Some dig deep into the ground to prepare the soil for those seedlings. Big trees have been placed before. So today might not be considered a hard task as thought. Many hundreds of beautiful stones were laid down according to the plan by the order of Poodtaan. Everything was going well. After lunch they came back to get work finished as the schedule.

In the afternoon, Poodtaan became a full mummy and got smiles from many workers who were used to working in the hot sun. Suddenly the sound of a hoe hitting steel loudly, the worker who used the hoe digging lost his balance. Poodtaan rushed to see along with many other workers until becoming a small Thai Moung.

*****Thai Moung

When there are accidents, murder or whatever, many of Thai people like to watch. It makes the places crowded and they disobey. Sometimes it is dangerous to be there and sometimes they become an obstacle to staff working. We call crowded like this “Thai Moung”. There used to be hundreds of Thai Mung dead because of explosion.
Moung = crowd around, gather around

"Hey, old stuff (Antiques)?" Many workers with shining eyes rushed together to help in digging. Finally the small steel chest that was not too heavy lifted up. The body of the chest had a slight dent showing thickness and strength. The lock was shuffle by a hoe until it fell off but it looked like everyone hesitated to open it. Although in their eyes had greed, but they all turned to look at Poodtaan.

"Hah! Me? Me open?"

"If it's an amulet let us share, Khun Taan," one of the workers hurriedly told her.

"Or if it's jewelry, Khun Taan chooses first." Another added.

From the fact that they had worked with Poodtaan for almost 3 months, Poodtaan was nice to them and she often treated them some drink and food. So they considered Poodtaan as a part of them.

"If it is valuable, it will be state property. We must notify the Department of Art. We cannot hold it on our own. Aren't you afraid of ghosts to follow to claim?”

She spoke solemnly and secretly smiled when seeing each worker began to have some twinkling of fear because many times when it was necessary to overthrow big trees they usually asked her to buy offerings for tree deity according to the belief. Therefore, if quoting the ghost everyone had to be afraid. If they were not afraid they would be considerate.

Poodtaan stared at the chest of the trouble in front of her carefully while her hand tried to open it. She could not open it quickly because of the stiffness of the rust that caught the chest. When the thing inside appeared, it called the hilarity for everyone. The inside of the chest looked shiny and had no rust and there was old brown rectangular paper with traces of the oil-coating. Besides that, there was no other thing.

Suddenly Poodtaan felt of a strange premonition. She did not want to touch this thing. She would like to find a fire to burn it now. But the realization of rationality told her to open out and let the workers see what was inside. She did not think it was precious because of the weight similar to a book or a notebook. When they realized that it was not valuable, everyone would return to get work finished today.

"Uh ... If it is not a cloth, it would be a book. Poodtaan said to the workers before gently removed the soft thick paper and found the old yellow calico.

The wind began to blow up with the clouds coming to obscure the sun's hot rays. Just a moment it seemed as if there was something gradually obscured the sun. Many workers looked at the sky with doubt but not Poodtaan. She was still opening the cloth with excited heart.

As soon as the fabric was opened, everyone saw the black Khoi book, with letters that were illegible, written in thin, light white with no idea what it was made of.

“It’s notebook, not amulet or jewelry.”
"Hey, but we can sell it to antiquary." The workers talked to each other. Many people regret it, but many others are interested.

***** Khoi book = Samood Khoi = Thai long book made of pulp from trees of the family Uricaceae

. Poodtaan swallowed. What was in her hand looked like she used to see. Her ears heard some chanting that caused her having hot flashes like she would pass out with the growing pain in the heart. Her hands pulled the fabric away from the koi book in front of her.

As soon as her fingertips touched the ancient notebook, the bright golden light came together with the darkness of the sun in the sky. Many workers began to run away from that scary light. Some of them fell down and were stunned, trying to look at the golden light. Just a moment, that light extinguished with the brightness of the sun that was dazzling again with a body fleeting with a koi book...... leaving only an empty steel chest and a cloth that blowing in the wind.

Thank you so so much for your hard work. The translation is really great. I think PL is going to be as successful as BPS if the script writter keeps her good works

Rachfull

sarNie Oldmaid
Actually Pope don't look so Thai; at times he seems like a tanned Japanese. You should look for this story "The Ginger Tree", about a Scottish woman who had a son with a married Japanese noble. Pope looks like this army General, later a Baron. But it's a sad story, in Japanese culture of those times if it's a girl or a mixed complexion it's not so bad, the mom can keep the kid. However, if he looks Japanese & belongs to a "white" mother, he'll be ostracised by society. So the General "stole" his son & carted him off to a wealthy, upper class family who do not have a male heir so that his high status in life is guaranteed. (The General already has other male children). The last the mother held her baby was she carried him on her back to the "Festival of the Dead", an important night everybody goes there, where they honour those who have gone & float beautiful lanterns in the river so the souls would know where to go. He was taken by the father the day after.
The mother persistently stayed in Tokyo looking for her child for over 25 years; and although she still has an ongoing relationship with the General he never told her where their son is. When war came & to save her, the General arranged her passage back to UK (otherwise will be imprisoned as Japan & Europe is at war, & he is much older & no longer has much power in the military) & reluctantly they said their goodbyes. The General committed hara-kiri, this part I don't understand why.
Alright we come to this part! Why I remembered this movie. In a major story like this, made I think in the 1940s, the ship enroute passes Singapore! haha our tiny island Singapore got figured in a historical event!
Well, while at the harbour for supplies, the Captain told her that someone from the Japanese consulate would like to interview her. She's not interested because felt that her life in Japan ended in sorrow but the Captain said there'll be trouble because it's war & the Japanese could stop the ship from leaving. So she met this young Japanese soldier who after the niceties showed her the photo of his family. He also said something about the General, that he only has letters but never seen him. She realised then who he is, and asked if he's had a good life - he said his entire life is happy. She then said the last she saw him was she carried him on her back to the Festival of the Dead. He said "You will see me again - when you go to the Festival of the Dead - we will always meet each other there". She was perplexed and asked him what makes him so sure? And he smiled pleasingly and said "Because I'm a pilot".

Whoaaa so sad! The mother had tears in her eyes but she smiled back at him - because this is the Japanese life after all and facing what he would, to him that would be an honour. Same like his father; everytime she asks will he come see her again he always said he can't promise because death as a soldier can happen anytime - and if it be so, it is an honour.
The young soldier kissed her hand before leaving, it's never said if he knew the depths of her feelings of losing him as a child, or if he loved her. But as his boat sailed away, he turned from his stern position and waved goodbye to her.

View attachment 35832

View attachment 35833

View attachment 35834

Lanterns in the water

View attachment 35835

View attachment 35836

View attachment 35837
What an interesting story! The General probably committed hara kiri to avoid imprisonment. In Japanese culture, suicide is considered an honorable way to die. He was probably maintaining his honor.
The hara-kiri originated with the Samurai warriors, they would commit suicide if they were caught of dishonored in any way in order to restore their honor.

Rosi2

Samee's wifey #42
What an interesting story! The General probably committed hara kiri to avoid imprisonment. In Japanese culture, suicide is considered an honorable way to die. He was probably maintaining his honor.
The hara-kiri originated with the Samurai warriors, they would commit suicide if they were caught of dishonored in any way in order to restore their honor.
Like James Bond or international spies would take cyanide which is hidden in a small compartment under their shoes....... the General used a small knife the size of a butter knife wrapped in white cloth.

Now that you've said it like that, I think that's why he committed this scary way. Although he's still a top military man the new army's ideals is no longer the same as when he's younger; he described to her how he witnessed their barbaric cruelty in the lands they conquered - they were like animals. (So the evil Japanese soldiers that we learnt in history weren't supposed to have done those killings & raping & terrible things). In his time the army is meant to serve the country, not serving themselves; and with things changing he has been very vocal in opposing what's happening. He knew this is dangerous & when the younger set takes over they might wipe him out anytime.
But isn't hara-kiri an awful way no matter which culture you are. Like look at my poor Keanu Reeves in 47 Ronin; a beautiful story but at the end a massive hara-kiri exercise all because of honour.

Last edited:

Amata

sarNie Hatchling
@Rosi @ friends

From Khun Rompaeng facebook. PL would have about 15 chapters. She might finish them in 3-4 months. The chapter 2 – 5 released on her facebook are still raw files.

Chapter II

Nang KUI dreamt that she was amid smog shivering. It was so cold that she nearly froze to death. She was scared as she didn't know where she was. She called her niece who was a daughter of her distant relative. She had looked after her for over 10 years because her parents had died of smallpox.

“Mae Glin, Mae Glin, where is it? How am I here?” She was trembling with fear for a while then there was a flash of light appeared in front of her together with a sturdy man with white clothes. His eyes looked like a hawk’s eyes but having sparkling of mercy. His appearance looked like an elderly man with grey hair but there was not any wrinkles on his face as it should be.

Nang GUI rushed to kneel to prostrate him asking him to help. “Help me please, I get lost.”

The man told her “Calm down, don’t be afraid. I’m taking you home but I would like you to put the care of my descendant.”

Who? Who is he? Nang Gui asked. Though scare in her eyes stayed still her fear decreased according to her characteristic not being afraid of anything easily. She thought this ascetic might be a magician who brought her here.

“A girl, if you accepted I would help you to have the property that it would never be used up this life and in the next life.” The man answered.”

“Really?” Nang Gui asked.

“I don’t force you. If you agree, get this." The ascetic handed her a ruby inlay gold necklace. It was beautiful as she had never seen before. Nang Gui was willing to receive it, but still confused, then everything went out like her being shoved away down to abyss.

Nang Gui was frightened waking up. In her dream she felt like everything was true, unlike the dream that had previously been. She got up and heard something falling to the plank. She lighted a lantern and found a ruby as big as the little finger' joint. Her heart that was already calm jerked up again.

“Didn’t dream, I didn’t dream.” She cried out and picked up the ruby and walked into the monk room, lighted a candle and prayed until her mind was calm. She looked at the ruby in a silver tray in front of a set of altar table and sighed. Lately she often saw golden light sparkling far away. She saw it clearly because of the dawn and the sky still dark. She stared at it and looked like she knew but she was not certain.
When the sun rose she cleaned her face and ordered her servants to go to work in the garden.

“There is a rumor immensely now" Gadesurang (Khun Ying WiSootSaKorn) was talking with Date (PraYa WiSootSaKorn). Her voice remained cheerful and her eyes were bright like they used to be since 20 years ago.

“Rumor about what? Mae Garagade.” Date asked. His eyes when looking at beloved woman still were the same as it was. It never changed.

“There are people see the golden light from the river bend Yai Gui’s garden.” She said.

“Is that so? What light?” Date asked.

“People said it was a treasure that Mother Earth would give to a person who had good deeds.”

“Huh” Date stared at his Khun Ying Wisootsakorn suspiciously and nearly forbid her but could not do it in time.

“Let’s go to see it. If it is true, try to dig it. There might be a treasure in the reign of Pra Jao U thong, Pra BoromTriLokanat or the King Naraesaun. Gade said. Her eyes sparkled with excitement.

“Khun Ying Garagade, our children have grown up and now they are able to get married. You should slacken your curiosity. Date said.

“I would like to know. I used to see the light but when I intended to stared at it, it disappeared.”

“Nonsense.” Date said and changed the topic.

“Today Por Rueng is coming back from Mueng Song Kwae (Pitsanulok) and Mae Prang is from the palace. Have you prepared food for them yet?

“Oh that’s right, I’m so excited about the rumor I forget it. There is no time left to go to Talad Noi (Market). Just grilled prawn, a pot of Tom Yum and omelet seasoning with fish sauce would be good. Khun P’ Ka, I’m going down to the kitchen.” She said getting up and nodded to Nang Pin and Nang Yam to follow her. Nang Pin and Nang Yam looked at Date and simpered before crawling and walking away.

******Pitsanulok is a province of Thailand that used to have two rivers (Kwae Noi River and Nan River) passed, so its old name is “Mueng Song Kwae (สองแคว)”. At the present time the Kwae Noi River had changed its path.

Mueng = เมือง = town
Song = สอง = two
Kwae = แคว = small stream or small river runs to another big river

Due to Pitsanulok has a river runs past in the middle of the town so it has another old name too, it is “Mueng Oak taaek (อกแตก)”.

Oak = อก = chest
Taaek = แตก = break

In the past communities always started at the banks of the river. Besides getting water from the river, people used the river as a travelling route and transportation.

Pra Ya WiSootSaKorn looked at all of them out and sighed. He looked towards the direction of Yai Gui’s garden with deep worrying. He thought of the time Gade had touched the Koi book and her soul slipped away. He buried the book instead of destroying it because he feared that if he did it, it would have any effect to her soul. He felt very scared because he remembered he buried the Khoi book that direction, the river bend Yai Gui’s garden

“Por Date, what’s a fuss? The noise went to my bedroom.”

Khun Ying Jumpa was over 60 years old but she still was strong. She walked to sit on the same stool that Gade was just sat. Nang Prik and Nang Juang came with her blowing. Both of them were old but strong too. Nang Prik who her whole hair turned grey but her eyes and ears were still good.

“I heard Khun Ying Garagade talked about the golden light occurred towards the river bend Yai Gui’s garden Jao Ka” Ma Prik told Khun Ying JumPa.

“What? She might just find a story to entertain her children.” Khun Ying Jumpa didn’t believe.

“The children have grown up as a young man, a young girl. Mae Kaew is getting married but Por Date’s wife is still curious. She looks after her children strangely too. She giggled with them as if they are close friends. No one does that. Khun Ying Jumpa said and sighed like she was tired of it but there was a smile in her eyes.

Date looked down to hide his glittering eyes. If his mother knew Gade taught self-defense to Mae Gaew and Mae Prang, she would surely faint.
“Today all children are coming back home. Mae Prang would be more mature or not. She is so harsh in her manner. Why doesn’t Por Rit come back with you? Khun Ying Jumpa asked.

“Por Rit volunteers to buy a chicken at Talad Noi. Mae Prang’s Gai som (Som was the name of the chicken) has just died this afternoon. Por Rit would not like Mae Prang to know so he has to take Som there to buy a new one looks like it.”

“This is another matter spoiling his sister. Khun Ying Jumpa didn’t agree.

“Mae Prang usually doesn't cry but when she does, it is hard to make her stop. I think Por Rit does it right.” Date explained.

“Isn’t it you yourself would not like to see Mae Prang’s tears?” You loved and spoiled her since she was young. Anyway I wouldn't like to see her cry also. Well, I’m going to the kitchen to see what Mae Garagade cooks.”

Date helped his mother up to the kitchen and came back to change clothes and returned to work at the patio as always. After Date’s father died, Nai Muong became a servant who took care of date. He prepared tea for Date and went back to sit waiting if Date needed anything.

Date’s sharp eyes looked towards Yai Gui’s garden before going to bring a slate from the library calculating what he was worried about.

Wicha Suriyayaat that Date learned from her father, he had been transferred to both sons all. At the beginning he thought Por Rueng would do it better than Por Rit because he was calm like his grandfather. But it turned out that Por Rit was more advanced. He also was expert at incantation because he was more curious than his brother.

******Wicha = Knowledge, subject
******Wicha SuRiYaYaat is a textbook for calculating the position of stars used in Thai astrology.

For Por Rueng he turned out to be good at fighting. He was an incomparable fighter. Even his father (Date) Por Rueng could win him without difficulty. Mont Gris sa na gali that date learned by heart, he transferred to his sons wak by wak (each pause in writing) because the Khoi book had been buried for a long time. Por Rit learned all different from Por Rueng. Por Rueng could not remember all. When He got this wak then he forgot the former wak. Even Mae Prang beg him to teach her Wicha Suriyayaat until at last he had to comply. Mae Prang’s learning also was more progress than Por Rueng. She could predict the auspicious time better than Por Rueng. Of course, Date would not let his mother know this otherwise he and his daughter certainly would be blamed.

Date put down the slate after getting the result of prediction. It was strange. It had both getting and losing. His eyes were full of anxiety and heavy thought. He sighed and said words not louder than a whisper.

"My beloved Mae Garagade"

Muen Maharit (Por Rit/Rit) intensionally looked at the chickens in the coop one by one. He went there with Nai Jerm. Nai Jerm (Joi in lakorn) became a close servant of Rit his master in child generation. Although Nai Jerm was used to PraYa Wisootsakorn’s family that was not like any family in Ayutthaya he felt tolerate while following his master in the market. It was because of bringing a dead chicken to compare with an alive chicken being counted the eighth time in the past fifteen years, always created laugh for the merchants who they were familiar with.

“Is this good?” Muen Maharit turned to ask Nai Jerm.

“Yes, it is.” Nai Jerm answered. For him, no matter how many times he looked at the kitchens, they were the same. Especially Gai Bann their colors almost had no difference. But a person who was prudent like Muen Maharit, he lifted up the chicken to look thoroughly until he found a flaw.

“Not good, there is too little yellow pattern. Mae Prang’s chicken had yellow stripes on both sides sharper than this.”

Gai Bann = ไก่บ้าน

Gai = Chicken
Baan = House

The meaning of Gai Baan (ไก่บ้าน) is rather wide.

= A kind of chickens popular as food
= Chickens that people raise around their houses to get their eggs or meat as food.
= Chickens that people raise around their houses or open field for sale (naturally raised chickens), not being raised in the farm
= local Chickens, not come from other provinces, region or other countries

“This time how did the chicken die Khor Rab Taan Muen?” A merchant who was familiar with asked him with respect although he knew that this Praya Wisootsoontorn’s son was not a person who would be puffed up of his rank. It could say, almost everyone in his family spoke politely and kindly to merchants in the market especially the raft merchant admired Muen Wisootsoontorn because he did not accept any bribes. Even intimidating or demand of discounted prices from them they had never done until everyone and every shop gave the lowest price for their servants who bought goods for their master.

“It would be bite by a centipede. In the late morning I came back to see it in the coop, it was dead. Muen Maharit answered.

Thai particles

****** Khor Rab (ขอรับ) - word added by a male speaker to the end of every sentence to convey politeness.
******Jao Ka (เจ้าคะ) - word added by a female speaker to the end of every question to convey politeness
******Jao Ka (เจ้าค่ะ) - word added by a female speaker to the end of every statement to convey politeness

At the present we use
Krab (ครับ) instead of Khor Rab (ขอรับ)
Ka (คะ) instead of Jao Ka (เจ้าคะ)
Ka (ค่ะ) instead of Jao Ka (เจ้าค่ะ)

Some Thai people are used to these particles to make what they say more polite. So when they speak English they add those at the end or a sentence also like :
Good morning Kaa...
Good morning Kraab..
Thank you Kaa..
Thank you Kraab......

Muen Maharit and Nai Jerm walked around until they found a young chicken, the same size and similar color not much different from the dead one. Muen Maharit bought it and took care of it well. They rushed home because they were afraid that his 2 sisters would arrive home before them.

Nai Chom a servant who grew up with his master was assigned to guard the boat picking up the chicken from Nai Jerm, waited until his master was on the boat. Nai Chom and Nai Jerm speeded their rowing in order to get home in time. They covered with sweat because of the heat of the afternoon sunshine.

Nai Jerm looked at the thick cloud that immediately floating above the water of Klong Glaab (Klong = canal). They hadn’t passed the river bend Yai Gui’s Garden yet but the cloud nearly obscured the whole sunshine.

“Really good the cloud coming, the sun is being hot.” Nai Chom smiled.

Before arriving the area of his home Muen Maharit saw golden sparkle from the river bend he was passing. He frowned and curiosity sprung up in his eyes. It made Nai Jerm have to look follow his sight but he saw only a normal scenery along the canal.

When he arrived at the house he told Nai Jerm.

“P’ Jerm take a hoe and a spade and follow me to the river bend Yai Gui”s garden. Ai Chom put the chicken in the coop and stay here. I and P’ Jerm are going to bury Ai Som. Muen Maharit told his servants.

When Nai Jerm came back both of them walked deep into garden looking for a suitable place. Nai Jerm dig out until the pit was wide enough. His master put the dead chicken there before Nai Jerm filled in the pit.

That moment there was a golden light appeared again in the visible distance. Both of them stopped for a moment before tuning to look at each other. The golden light still was shining from the ground far away and did not disappear like before.

“I used to see that light when I was young but it came for a while and had gone. It was not there for a long time like this. When it happened I used to go there but it was gone before I reached. Today it happened in front of me so I have to go to see it. Do you think that someone has released black magic to hurt people in our home?

“I don’t know Khor Rab but are you really going there? If it is not a good thing Lom Pae Lom Paat it would be a big matter.” Nai Jerm said and warned him. If there was anything happened to Praya Wisootsoontorn’s son, he would be headless. So his voice trembled.

“What are you afraid of? I have Wicha (The knowledge he learnt from his father)” He said and looked up. He looked brave. Then he walked quickly towards the light hoping that if he came closer he would know where it came from.

****** LomePae-LomePaat = ลมเพลมพัด has 2 meanings

1st meaning :
= Illness that do not know the cause often believed that it was done.
= Illness that believed to be due to black magic.

"If you are down on your luck and accidentally go to a place that there are some people trying to test the efficacy of their talisman, incantation or spell to see if those are really magical. It is released by the wind so you might get it and be sick.”

2nd meaning :
= variable

“Women often have more mood swings than men.”
“Women often have symptoms of LomePaeLomePaat more than men.”

Lome = Wind
Pae = crumble, collapse, fall apart, go to pieces etc.

Paat = blow

The center of the light was on a mound near a small waterway (ditch). He grabbed the hoe from Nai Jerm to dig with a strong force. Just a moment the how was deep down to hit something. It was too hard to be a stone or clod of earth. His hands were reflected so strongly that he nearly released the hoe slip away.

“P’ Jerm, help me. I’ve found something” Nai Jerm helped him did and he found that it was a chest not very new or old. He stepped back before speaking splutteringly.

“Don’t touch it please. It would be good if we tell Taan Praya (Date) before.” He said and grabbed his master’s hand but he brushed it off.

“Why do I have to tell him? Just this, I have recited a spell to get rid of the black magic already.” He told his servant. He lifted the chest out of the ground and used the hoe shuffled the lock. Then the golden light was spread even stronger.

“Yai (Grandma) the golden light comes again in the garden near the river bend next to the house of Praya Wisootsoontorn.” Mae Glin, her niece called her so loudly that Yai Gui was startle”

“Ouch! Why do you have to shout? You‘ve made me shocked. If I pass out to death becoming a ghost, I will come to haunt you.” Yai Gui threatened Mae.

"What? The light is so bright this time in spite of the middle of the day. It has come for some time. Let's go to see it, it may be a treasure of Mother Earth” Mae Glin said.

Although Yai Gui was old but she was still healthy because of regular exercise from gardening. She looked at that bright light quietly and recalled her dream last night. So she got up actively.

“Go, go to see it” she persuaded Mae Glin.

Yai Gui's stance caused Mae Glin to be confused.

“Aren’t you afraid of it anymore Yai? The former times you told me not to be interested in that light. Why today would you like to see it? Mae Glin wondered.

Yai Gui sighed. "I'm not interested in what the treasure is. It is beyond our ascendancy but I have promised him. Go! Go! Don't tardy. It might be too late.
“Too late for what? Yai. What do you promise and with whom?” Mae Glin asked.

“Follow me, move.” Nang Gui walked and told another 2 servants to follow her. She was heading into the garden towards the river bend where she saw the light. The whole group walked up to the source of it and there they all looked at same point. It was a sharp-eyed young man kneeling opening a chest and there was a familiar face like Nai Jerm kneeling beside him.

“Yai, those are Muen Rit and P’ Jerm or that Muen Rueang has come back from Song Kwae already” Mae Glin held her grandma’s hand and moved her eye to look at the chest that was shining the gold light on the mound surprisingly.

“Yai they will open the treasure. Let's go to see.” Nang Gui stood still. She did not walk according to her niece's traction but turned out to pull her niece instead and warned her.

“Be Quiet Mae Glin.” When the leader refused to walk. They all needed to stay with her. The sky was getting dark. The wind began to blow stronger. Muen Maharit opened the chest seeing old oil-plated paper. Inside there was a white cloth wrapped. When it was opened, there was a khoi book. Nai jerm blinked eyes wide. He remembered it was an important textbook of Phraya Horathibodi.

“Khoi book of Mon Grit Sa Na Gali” Nai Jerm cried out.

Muen Maharit turned to look at his servant surprisingly before reaching out and touched the book.

As soon as his skin was exposed to the koi book, the sky was suddenly darkened like twilight. The golden light emits light until the eyes of anyone could not see anything and was extinguished at the same time.

Poodtaan opened her eyes after couldn't be exposed to the light. The ears heard a voice of exclaiming. The Khoi book in her hands seemed being pulled. Muen Maharit tries to open his eyes wider looking at someone grabbing the book as if snatching.

He immediately thought of a terrible ghost that was often found along the ditch and it might be a supporter of people who had a spell.

His foot as fast as thought, he lifted his leg and shove away with all his strength because he startled. He pulled Nai Jerm to run away with him but he ran only for three or four steps then he stopped. He thought that the one that he accidentally kicked a moment ago had flesh and now there was a sound of crying out painfully and that was the woman voice.

He turned to look and found that that body looked subtle although it was not clear because her head was being covered by a cloth. Both the head and ears were all dirty with mud from the ditch.

Who are you? How can you be here? Are you Pii Kamode or not? (Pii Kamode is a kind of ghost)

“Ouch, how can you do it? I will tell P' Danai to give you the sack. She cried out and grasped her painful waist.” She thought it was lucky that she was tolerated. The ten-wheeled truck crashes but she didn't die. She thought over and raised her hands to wipe tears from her eyes but it made her face dirtier.

“Coming, she’s coming” Nang Gui exclaimed and rushed near the ditch. She told her 2 servants went into the ditch to hold the strange girl up. She still looked painful.

“Yai Gui, do you know this girl?” Mae Glin asked.

Muen Maharit now relaxed, breathed in and out slowly and asked Nang Gui about the girl.

“Uh I don’t know but I was asked to put the care of her.” Nang Gui tried to explain. Mae Glin even looked at her grandmother with surprise.
“Ah she came with Yai Gui Khor Rab Taan Meun.” Nai Jerm said and grabbed the hoe and a spade in his hands.

Poodtaan looked around and looked at people around her with trance until forgot the pain.

“Who are you? Why are you putting on strange clothes? And the hair style too. Am I seeing ghosts? The last sentence she asked herself while seeing the picture in front of her.

Poodtaan looked up at the young man at the ditch which would be a mysterious foot that kicked her. He was wearing clothes similar to ancient Thai men but the fabric looked better than the others. When their eyes met, a strange feeling agitated her and flung to her heart. She felt like the time would stop. Strange familiarity caused her eyes full of wonder.

“Why are your words so strange? Well it is over. Let’s go home, P’ Jerm. Mae Gaew, Mae Prang would be about to come. Muen Maharit said. He put the khoi book into the chest and lifted it going back home.

“Wait! Where are you going?” Poodtaan brushed off the hands of the 2 servants and walked to the mound to catch his arm. Muen Maharit felt of a weak stream of something from the touch of the stranger. So turned to look and frowned.

“What are you doing? You are a woman. Why do you come to grab a guy. Aren't you shy? Let me go now. His voice was so intense that she had to release his arm before doing it again at once.

“Wait! Take the book back to me. You can't steal it. I will inform the Department of Fine Arts. She said and looked for her workers who were still around her at the moment and she had to be stunned. She looked at the tree, the ditch and the mound that she was not used to them. Her face became pale.

“Where are all workers? And where is it here? Where is Ruen Thai that used to be here? What a crazy is this? Poodtaan was confused.

“It looks like Yai’ Gui’s girl would be crazy. I’m sorry for shoving you so strong. I was frightened then. If you are sick because of me, send anyone to tell me at Praya Wisootsakorn’s house. Now I’m giving some Att (small change in Ayutthaya Era) to you if you need to buy some medicine. He handed the chest to Nai Jerm to hold it despite him having a hoe and a spade in his hands. He pulled a pouch from his waist and hand it one to her.

When he saw Poodtaan didn’t give her hands to receive the money so he held her hand up and put the money there.

His heart twitched a little when recognizing hot currents spread from the skin in the palm of his hand He looked up to see her face that was hidden under the cloth. He was stunned. Poodtaan felt the same. She startled so she pulled her hand back and looked at Att in her hand with the confused face.
“Let’s go P’Jerm.” Muen Maharit said.

“Wait! What about the book?” Poodtaan still would like to get the book back.

“This book is Mon Grit Sa Na Gali. It is a spell that has passed on our family. It is nothing to do with you.” That moment, if you don't think of snatching it from me, I wouldn't kick you to make you hurt like this. You put the cloth around your head and ears. How lucky that I didn't stab you with dagger.” Muen Maharit said.

“Mon Grit Sa Na Gali” this word made Poodtaan felt as if she was being hit in the brain. Besides, no matter what she heard, saw, words, clothes of the people and the changing environment in an instant, all could make her go crazy. She felt the world was going to darken again but this time it would do together with her consciousness.

Her body was swaying until Muen Maharit had to come quickly to hold her. The cloth around her head slipped down. Her hair was bundled with a stretchy cloth. From her appearance looked too flawless to be a villager around here and she was wearing a gold necklace with a locket. He felt the heat on her body so he called Yai Gui to take care of her. Yai Gui told her servants to take Poodtaan from the ditch towards to her.

Muen Maharit told Nai Jerm to put the cloth in the water and gave it to the servants of Yai Kui for wiping her face and body.

He told Yai Gui that he had to go back home because his brother and sisters would go back home today. He was out for a long time. His mother would be waiting.

“Jao Ka” Nang Gui said while using the cloth wiped her face.

“The deity asked me to put the care of her so she would not be a ghost.” Yai Gui murmured.

“I hope she would be alright? Muen Maharit said while looked at her.” She was more beautiful than any girl he had met. She looked like his mother but she was more shining because she was younger.

“Taan Muen Khor Rab.” Nai Jerm called him. “It is late afternoon now. Mae Ying Gaew and Mae Ying Prang would nearly get home.” Nai Jerm saw the way Muen Maharit was looking at the girl wearing strange clothes so he was suspicious and she looked like Mae Nai Garagade making him more suspicious than ever.

“Yeah, let’s go. He said and turned to say to Yai Gui “Please take care of her. I will come to see her again later. If she is sick and you would like me to help, please send a message to me.”

“Jao Ka Taan Muen.” Nang Gui gave her word and told her servants to take Poodtaan to her house.

“Yai, this girl was wearing strange clothes. She might be a forest ghost undercover. I think Yai’d better leave her here. Please don’t take her our home.” Mae Glin looked at the girl being carried like a pig with dissatisfaction.

“She is not a ghost. If she will be, she will be a deity.” Nang Gui said.

“Why her face looks like Khun Ying Garagade and she appeared like popping up in the air. Did you see that? Even Taan Muen had a strange attitude also. I have a presentiment that she would bring disaster to our house.”

“Do you envy her more beautiful than you? Nang Glin”

“Why do I have to envy her? Yai knew what kind of person I am. But I don’t like her. Did you see her eyes before she passed out? She must be more dangerous than anyone else. She would bring us into trouble.”

“Don’t say nonsense. She hasn’t recovered yet. We don’t know how her temperament is.”

“But Yai..”

“Shut up! E Glin. I’m the owner of the house. I will let her live here.”

Mae Glin could do only to swallow her cursing for that girl down to the throat. She didn’t understand herself why she hated that girl very much. In hate there was fear also. She felt like that the girl had some power that might make her calm life collapse easily.

P.S. If you observe the pronouns in this story they were changed depending on social status of the speaker and listener.

Khun Ying Jumpa called persons in their family

Date = Por Date,
Garagade = Mae Garagade
Rueng = Por Rueang,
Rit = Por rit
Gaew = Mae Gaew
Prang = Mae Prang

Nai Jerm called them:

Date (Praya Wisootsakorn) = Taan Praya
Garagade = Mae Nai Garagade
Muen Maharit = Taan Meun
Muen Rueang = Taan Meun
Mae Gaew = Mae Ying Gaew (Ying = female, girl, woman)
Mae Prang = Mae Ying Prang

Persons outside the family, a merchant, Nang Gui :

Muen Maharit = Taan Meun
Taan = you, he, she, him, her, they, them (call with respect)

Sometimes Pronoun is changed according to the temper of the speaker. :

Yai Guil called her niece “Mae Glin (แม่กลิ่น)”
“Be Quiet Mae Glin.”

When she was unsatisfied she called her “Nang Glin (นังกลิ่น)”

When she was angry she called her “Ee Glin (อีกลิ่น)”

***** The word Nang/นาง (Gui) and Nang/นัง (Glin) when we write in English it is spelled the same but in the Thai language They are different in pronunciation.

Nang = นาง = Mrs., woman

Nang = นัง = a derogatory version of นาง placed in front of a name showing disapproval (Pronunciation is shorter)

Last edited:

lamchieu

sarNie Adult
@Rosi @ friends

From Khun Rompaeng facebook. PL would have about 15 chapters. She might finish them in 3-4 months. The chapter 2 – 5 released on her facebook are still raw files.

Chapter II

Nang KUI dreamt that she was amid smog shivering. It was so cold that she nearly froze to death. She was scared as she didn't know where she was. She called her niece who was a daughter of her distant relative. She had looked after her for over 10 years because her parents had died of smallpox.

“Mae Glin, Mae Glin, where is it? How am I here?” She was trembling with fear for a while then there was a flash of light appeared in front of her together with a sturdy man with white clothes. His eyes looked like a hawk’s eyes but having sparkling of mercy. His appearance looked like an elderly man with grey hair but there was not any wrinkles on his face as it should be.

Nang GUI rushed to kneel to prostrate him asking him to help. “Help me please, I get lost.”

The man told her “Calm down, don’t be afraid. I’m taking you home but I would like you to put the care of my descendant.”

Who? Who is he? Nang Gui asked. Though scare in her eyes stayed still her fear decreased according to her characteristic not being afraid of anything easily. She thought this ascetic might be a magician who brought her here.

“A girl, if you accepted I would help you to have the property that it would never be used up this life and in the next life.” The man answered.”

“Really?” Nang Gui asked.

“I don’t force you. If you agree, get this. The ascetic handed her a ruby inlay gold necklace. It was beautiful as she had never seen before. Nang Gui was willing to receive it, but still confused, then everything went out like her being shoved away down to abyss.

Nang Gui was frightened waking up. In her dream she felt like everything was true, unlike the dream that had previously been. She got up and heard something falling to the plank. She lighted a lantern and found a ruby as big as the knuckle of the little finger. Her heart that was already calm jerked up again.

“Didn’t dream, I didn’t dream.” She cried out and picked up the ruby and walked into the monk room, lighted a candle and prayed until her mind was calm. She looked at the ruby in a silver tray in front of a set of altar table and sighed. Lately she often saw golden light sparkling far away. She saw it clearly because of the dawn and the sky still dark. She stared at it and looked like she knew but she was not certain.
When the sun rose she cleaned her face and ordered her servants to go to work in the garden.

“There is a rumor immensely now" Gadesurang (Khun Ying WiSootSaKorn) was talking with Date (PraYa WiSootSaKorn). Her voice remained cheerful and her eyes were bright like they used to be since 20 years ago.

“Rumor about what? Mae Garagade.” Date asked. His eyes when looking at beloved woman still were the same as it was. It never changed.

“There are people see the golden light from the river bend Yai Gui’s garden.” She said.

“Is that so? What light?” Date asked.

“People said it was a treasure that Mother Earth would give to a person who had good deeds.”

“Huh” Date stared at his Khun Ying Wisootsakorn suspiciously and nearly forbid her but could not do it in time.

“Let’s go to see it. If it is true, try to dig it. There might be a treasure in the reign of Pra Jao U thong, Pra BoromTriLokanat or the King Naraesaun. Gade said. Her eyes sparkled with excitement.

“Khun Ying Garagade, our children have grown up and now they are able to get married. You should slacken your curiosity. Date said.

“I would like to know. I used to see the light but when I intended to stared at it, it disappeared.”

“Nonsense.” Date said and changed the topic.

“Today Por Rueng is coming back from Mueng Song Kwae (Pitsanulok) and Mae Prang is from the palace. Have you prepared food for them yet?
“Oh that’s right, I’m so excited about the rumor I forget it. There is no time left to go to Talad Noi (Market). Just grilled prawn, a pot of Tom Yum and omelet seasoning with fish sauce would be good. Khun P’ Ka, I’m going down to the kitchen.” She said getting up and nodded to Nang Pin and Nang Yam to follow her. Nang Pin and Nang Yam looked at Date and simpered before crawling and walking away.

******Pitsanulok is a province of Thailand that used to have two rivers (Kwae Noi River and Nan River) passed, so its old name is “Mueng Song Kwae (สองแคว)”. At the present time the Kwae Noi River had changed its path.

Mueng = เมือง = town
Song = สอง = two
Kwae = แคว = small stream or small river runs to another big river

Due to Pitsanulok has a river runs past in the middle of the town so it has another old name too, it is “Mueng Oak taaek (อกแตก)”.

Oak = อก = chest
Taaek = แตก = break

In the past communities always started at the banks of the river. Besides getting water from the river, people used the river as a travelling route and transportation.

Pra Ya WiSootSaKorn looked at all of them out and sighed. He looked towards the direction of Yai Gui’s garden with deep worrying. He thought of the time Gade had touched the Koi book and her soul slipped away. He buried the book instead of destroying it because he feared that if he did it, it would have any effect to her soul. He felt very scared because he remembered he buried the Khoi book that direction, the river bend Yai Gui’s garden

“Por Date, what’s a fuss? The noise went to my bedroom.”

Khun Ying Jumpa was over 60 years old but she still was strong. She walked to sit on the same stool that Gade was just sat. Nang Prik and Nang Juang came with her blowing. Both of them were old but strong too. Nang Prik who her whole hair turned grey but her eyes and ears were still good.

“I heard Khun Ying Garagade talked about the golden light occurred towards the river bend Yai Gui’s garden Jao Ka” Ma Prik told Khun Ying JumPa.

“What? She might just find a story to entertain her children.” Khun Ying Jumpa didn’t believe.

“The children have grown up as a young man, a young girl. Mae Kaew is getting married but Por Date’s wife is still curious. She looks after her children strangely too. She giggled with them as if they are close friends. No one does that. Khun Ying Jumpa said and sighed like she was tired of it but there was a smile in her eyes.

Date looked down to hide his glittering eyes. If his mother knew Gade taught self-defense to Mae Gaew and Mae Prang, she would surely faint.
“Today all children are coming back home. Mae Prang would be more mature or not. She is so harsh in her manner. Why doesn’t Por Rit come back with you? Khun Ying Jumpa asked.

“Por Rit volunteers to buy a chicken at Talad Noi. Mae Prang’s Gai som (Som was the name of the chicken) has just died this afternoon. Por Rit would not like Mae Prang to know so he has to take Som there to buy a new one looks like it.”

“This is another matter spoiling his sister. Khun Ying Jumpa didn’t agree.

“Mae Prang usually doesn't cry but when she does, it is hard to make her stop. I think Por Rit does it right.” Date explained.

“Isn’t it you yourself would not like to see Mae Prang’s tears?” You loved and spoiled her since she was young. Anyway I wouldn't like to see her cry also. Well, I’m going to the kitchen to see what Mae Garagade cooks.”

Date helped his mother up to the kitchen and came back to change clothes and returned to work at the patio as always. After Date’s father died, Nai Muong became a servant who took care of date. He prepared tea for Date and went back to sit waiting if Date needed anything.

Date’s sharp eyes looked towards Yai Gui’s garden before going to bring a slate from the library calculating what he was worried about.

Wicha Suriyayaat that Date learned from her father, he had been transferred to both sons all. At the beginning he thought Por Rueng would do it better than Por Rit because he was calm like his grandfather. But it turned out that Por Rit was more advanced. He also was expert at incantation because he was more curious than his brother.

******Wicha = Knowledge, subject
******Wicha SuRiYaYaat is a textbook for calculating the position of stars used in Thai astrology.

For Por Rueng he turned out to be good at fighting. He was an incomparable fighter. Even his father (Date) Por Rueng could win him without difficulty. Mont Gris sa na gali that date learned by heart, he transferred to his sons wak by wak (each pause in writing) because the Khoi book had been buried for a long time. Por Rit learned all different from Por Rueng. Por Rueng could not remember all. When He got this wak then he forgot the former wak. Even Mae Prang beg him to teach her Wicha Suriyayaat until at last he had to comply. Mae Prang’s learning also was more progress than Por Rueng. She could predict the auspicious time better than Por Rueng. Of course, Date would not let his mother know this otherwise he and his daughter certainly would be blamed.

Date put down the slate after getting the result of prediction. It was strange. It had both getting and losing. His eyes were full of anxiety and heavy thought. He sighed and said words not louder than a whisper.

"My beloved Mae Garagade"

Muen Maharit (Por Rit/Rit) intensionally looked at the chickens in the coop one by one. He went there with Nai Jerm. Nai Jerm (Joi in lakorn) became a close servant of Rit his master in child generation. Although Nai Jerm was used to PraYa Wisootsakorn’s family that was not like any family in Ayutthaya he felt tolerate while following his master in the market. It was because of bringing a dead chicken to compare with an alive chicken being counted the eighth time in the past fifteen years, always created laugh for the merchants who they were familiar with.

“Is this good?” Muen Maharit turned to ask Nai Jerm.

“Yes, it is.” Nai Jerm answered. For him, no matter how many times he looked at the kitchens, they were the same. Especially Gai Bann their colors almost had no difference. But a person who was prudent like Muen Maharit, he lifted up the chicken to look thoroughly until he found a flaw.

“Not good, there is too little yellow pattern. Mae Prang’s chicken had yellow stripes on both sides sharper than this.”

Gai Bann = ไก่บ้าน

Gai = Chicken
Baan = House

The meaning of Gai Baan (ไก่บ้าน) is rather wide.

= A kind of chickens popular as food
= Chickens that people raise around their houses to get their eggs or meat as food.
= Chickens that people raise around their houses or open field for sale (naturally raised chickens), not being raised in the farm
= local Chickens, not come from other provinces, region or other countries

“This time how did the chicken die Khor Rab Taan Muen?” A merchant who was familiar with asked him with respect although he knew that this Praya Wisootsoontorn’s son was not a person who would be puffed up of his rank. It could say, almost everyone in his family spoke politely and kindly to merchants in the market especially the raft merchant admired Muen Wisootsoontorn because he did not accept any bribes. Even intimidating or demand of discounted prices from them they had never done until everyone and every shop gave the lowest price for their servants who bought goods for their master.

“It would be bite by a centipede. In the late morning I came back to see it in the coop, it was dead. Muen Maharit answered.

Thai particles

****** Khor Rab (ขอรับ) - word added by a male speaker to the end of every sentence to convey politeness.
******Jao Ka (เจ้าคะ) - word added by a female speaker to the end of every question to convey politeness
******Jao Ka (เจ้าค่ะ) - word added by a female speaker to the end of every statement to convey politeness

At the present we use

Krab (ครับ) instead of Khor Rab (ขอรับ)
Ka (คะ) instead of Jao Ka (เจ้าคะ)
Ka (ค่ะ) instead of Jao Ka (เจ้าค่ะ)

Muen Maharit and Nai Jerm walked around until they found a young chicken, the same size and similar color not much different from the dead one. Muen Maharit bought it and took care of it well. They rushed home because they were afraid that his 2 sisters would arrive home before them.

Nai Chom a servant who grew up with his master was assigned to guard the boat picking up the chicken from Nai Jerm, waited until his master was on the boat. Nai Chom and Nai Jerm speeded their rowing in order to get home in time. They covered with sweat because of the heat of the afternoon sunshine.

Nai Jerm looked at the thick cloud that immediately floating above the water of Klong Glaab (Klong = canal). They hadn’t passed the river bend Yai Gui’s Garden yet but the cloud nearly obscured the whole sunshine.

“Really good the cloud coming, the sun is being hot.” Nai Chom smiled.

Before arriving the area of his home Muen Maharit saw golden sparkle from the river bend he was passing. He frowned and curiosity sprung up in his eyes. It made Nai Jerm have to look follow his sight but he saw only a normal scenery along the canal.

When he arrived at the house he told Nai Jerm.

“P’ Jerm take a hoe and a spade and follow me to the river bend Yai Gui”s garden. Ai Chom put the chicken in the coop and stay here. I and P’ Jerm are going to bury Ai Som. Muen Maharit told his servants.

When Nai Jerm came back both of them walked deep into garden looking for a suitable place. Nai Jerm dig out until the pit was wide enough. His master put the dead chicken there before Nai Jerm filled in the pit.

That moment there was a golden light appeared again in the visible distance. Both of them stopped for a moment before tuning to look at each other. The golden light still was shining from the ground far away and did not disappear like before.

“I used to see that light when I was young but it came for a while and had gone. It was not there for a long time like this. When it happened I used to go there but it was gone before I reached. Today it happened in front of me so I have to go to see it. Do you think that someone has released black magic to hurt people in our home?

“I don’t know Khor Rab but are you really going there? If it is not a good thing Lom Pae Lom Paat it would be a big matter.” Nai Jerm said and warned him. If there was anything happened to Praya Wisootsoontorn’s son, he would be headless. So his voice trembled.

“What are you afraid of? I have Wicha (The knowledge he learnt from his father)” He said and looked up. He looked brave. Then he walked quickly towards the light hoping that if he came closer he would know where it came from.

****** LomePae-LomePaat = ลมเพลมพัด has 2 meanings

1st meaning :
= Illness that do not know the cause often believed that it was done.
= Illness that believed to be due to black magic.

"If you are down on your luck and accidentally go to a place that there are some people trying to test the efficacy of their talisman, incantation or spell to see if those are really magical, you might get the effect of their tests and be sick.”

2nd meaning :
= variable

“Women often have more mood swings than men.”
“Women often have symptoms of LomePaeLomePaat more than men.”

Lome = Wind
Pae = crumble, collapse, fall apart, go to pieces etc.
Paat = blow

The center of the light was on a mound near a small waterway (ditch). He grabbed the hoe from Nai Jerm to dig with a strong force. Just a moment the how was deep down to hit something. It was too hard to be a stone or clod of earth. His hands were reflected so strongly that he nearly released the hoe slip away.

“P’ Jerm, help me. I’ve found something” Nai Jerm helped him did and he found that it was a chest not very new or old. He stepped back before speaking splutteringly.

“Don’t touch it please. It would be good if we tell Taan Praya (Date) before.” He said and grabbed his master’s hand but he brushed it off.

“Why do I have to tell him? Just this, I have recited a spell to get rid of the black magic already.” He told his servant. He lifted the chest out of the ground and used the hoe shuffled the lock. Then the golden light was spread even stronger.

“Yai (Grandma) the golden light comes again in the garden near the river bend next to the house of Praya Wisootsoontorn.” Mae Glin, her niece called her so loudly that Yai Gui was startle”

“Ouch! Why do you have to shout? You‘ve made me shocked. If I pass out to death becoming a ghost, I will come to haunt you.” Yai Gui threatened Mae.

"What? The light is so bright this time in spite of the middle of the day. It has come for some time. Let's go to see it, it may be a treasure of Mother Earth” Mae Glin said.

Although Yai Gui was old but she was still healthy because of regular exercise from gardening. She looked at that bright light quietly and recalled her dream last night. So she got up actively.

“Go, go to see it” she persuaded Mae Glin.

Yai Gui's stance caused Mae Glin to be confused.

“Aren’t you afraid of it anymore Yai? The former times you told me not to be interested in that light. Why today would you like to see it? Mae Glin wondered.

Yai Gui sighed. "I'm not interested in what the treasure is. It is beyond our ascendancy but I have promised him. Go! Go! Don't tardy. It might be too late.
“Too late for what? Yai. What do you promise and with whom?” Mae Glin asked.

“Follow me, move.” Nang Gui walked and told another 2 servants to follow her. She was heading into the garden towards the river bend where she saw the light. The whole group walked up to the source of it and there they all looked at same point. It was a sharp-eyed young man kneeling opening a chest and there was a familiar face like Nai Jerm kneeling beside him.

“Yai, those are Muen Rit and P’ Jerm or that Muen Rueang has come back from Song Kwae already” Mae Glin held her grandma’s hand and moved her eye to look at the chest that was shining the gold light on the mound surprisingly.

“Yai they will open the treasure. Let's go to see.” Nang Gui stood still. She did not walk according to her niece's traction but turned out to pull her niece instead and warned her.

“Be Quiet Mae Glin.” When the leader refused to walk. They all needed to stay with her. The sky was getting dark. The wind began to blow stronger. Muen Maharit opened the chest seeing old oil-plated paper. Inside there was a white cloth wrapped. When it was opened, there was a khoi book. Nai jerm blinked eyes wide. He remembered it was an important textbook of Phraya Horathibodi.

“Khoi book of Mon Grit Sa Na Gali” Nai Jerm cried out.

Muen Maharit turned to look at his servant surprisingly before reaching out and touched the book.

As soon as his skin was exposed to the koi book, the sky was suddenly darkened like twilight. The golden light emits light until the eyes of anyone could not see anything and was extinguished at the same time.

Poodtaan opened her eyes after couldn't be exposed to the light. The ears heard a voice of exclaiming. The Khoi book in her hands seemed being pulled. Muen Maharit tries to open his eyes wider looking at someone grabbing the book as if snatching.

He immediately thought of a terrible ghost that was often found along the ditch and it might be a supporter of people who had a spell.

His foot as fast as thought, he lifted his leg and shove away with all his strength because he startled. He pulled Nai Jerm to run away with him but he ran only for three or four steps then he stopped. He thought that the one that he accidentally kicked a moment ago had flesh and now there was a sound of crying out painfully and that was the woman voice.

He turned to look and found that that body looked subtle although it was not clear because her head was being covered by a cloth. Both the head and ears were all dirty with mud from the ditch.

Who are you? How can you be here? Are you Pii Kamode or not? (Pii Kamode is a kind of ghost)

“Ouch, how can you do it? I will tell P' Danai to give you the sack. She cried out and grasped her painful waist.” She thought it was lucky that she was tolerated. The ten-wheeled truck crashes but she didn't die. She thought over and raised her hands to wipe tears from her eyes but it made her face dirtier.

“Coming, she’s coming” Nang Gui exclaimed and rushed near the ditch. She told her 2 servants went into the ditch to hold the strange girl up. She still looked painful.

“Yai Gui, do you know this girl?” Mae Glin asked.

Muen Maharit now relaxed, breathed in and out slowly and asked Nang Gui about the girl.

“Uh I don’t know but I was asked to put the care of her.” Nang Gui tried to explain. Mae Glin even looked at her grandmother with surprise.
“Ah she came with Yai Gui Khor Rab Taan Meun.” Nai Jerm said and grabbed the hoe and a spade in his hands.

Poodtaan looked around and looked at people around her with trance until forgot the pain.

“Who are you? Why are you putting on strange clothes? And the hair style too. Am I seeing ghosts? The last sentence she asked herself while seeing the picture in front of her.

Poodtaan looked up at the young man at the ditch which would be a mysterious foot that kicked her. He was wearing clothes similar to ancient Thai men but the fabric looked better than the others. When their eyes met, a strange feeling agitated her and flung to her heart. She felt like the time would stop. Strange familiarity caused her eyes full of wonder.

“Why are your words so strange? Well it is over. Let’s go home, P’ Jerm. Mae Gaew, Mae Prang would be about to come. Muen Maharit said. He put the khoi book into the chest and lifted it going back home.

“Wait! Where are you going?” Poodtaan brushed off the hands of the 2 servants and walked to the mound to catch his arm. Muen Maharit felt of a weak stream of something from the touch of the stranger. So turned to look and frowned.

“What are you doing? You are a woman. Why do you come to grab a guy. Aren't you shy? Let me go now. His voice was so intense that she had to release his arm before doing it again at once.

“Wait! Take the book back to me. You can't steal it. I will inform the Department of Fine Arts. She said and looked for her workers who were still around her at the moment and she had to be stunned. She looked at the tree, the ditch and the mound that she was not used to them. Her face became pale.

“Where are all workers? And where is it here? Where is Ruen Thai that used to be here? What a crazy is this? Poodtaan was confused.

“It looks like Yai’ Gui’s girl would be crazy. I’m sorry for shoving you so strong. I was frightened then. If you are sick because of me, send anyone to tell me at Praya Wisootsakorn’s house. Now I’m giving some Att (small change in Ayutthaya Era) to you if you need to buy some medicine. He handed the chest to Nai Jerm to hold it despite him having a hoe and a spade in his hands. He pulled a pouch from his waist and hand it one to her.

When he saw Poodtaan didn’t give her hands to receive the money so he held her hand up and put the money there.

His heart twitched a little when recognizing hot currents spread from the skin in the palm of his hand He looked up to see her face that was hidden under the cloth. He was stunned. Poodtaan felt the same. She startled so she pulled her hand back and looked at Att in her hand with the confused face.
“Let’s go P’Jerm.” Muen Maharit said.

“Wait! What about the book?” Poodtaan still would like to get the book back.

“This book is Mon Grit Sa Na Gali. It is a spell that has passed on our family. It is nothing to do with you.” That moment, if you don't think of snatching it from me, I wouldn't kick you to make you hurt like this. You put the cloth around your head and ears. How lucky that I didn't stab you with dagger.” Muen Maharit said.

“Mon Grit Sa Na Gali” this word made Poodtaan felt as if she was being hit in the brain. Besides, no matter what she heard, saw, words, clothes of the people and the changing environment in an instant, all could make her go crazy. She felt the world was going to darken again but this time it would do together with her consciousness.

Her body was swaying until Muen Maharit had to come quickly to hold her. The cloth around her head slipped down. Her hair was bundled with a stretchy cloth. From her appearance looked too flawless to be a villager around here and she was wearing a gold necklace with a locket. He felt the heat on her body so he called Yai Gui to take care of her. Yai Gui told her servants to take Poodtaan from the ditch towards to her.

Muen Maharit told Nai Jerm to put the cloth in the water and gave it to the servants of Yai Kui for wiping her face and body.

He told Yai Gui that he had to go back home because his brother and sisters would go back home today. He was out for a long time. His mother would be waiting.

“Jao Ka” Nang Gui said while using the cloth wiped her face.

“The deity asked me to put the care of her so she would not be a ghost.” Yai Gui murmured.

“I hope she would be alright? Muen Maharit said while looked at her.” She was more beautiful than any girl he had met. She looked like his mother but she was more shining because she was younger.

“Taan Muen Khor Rab.” Nai Jerm called him. “It is late afternoon now. Mae Ying Gaew and Mae Ying Prang would nearly get home.” Nai Jerm saw the way Muen Maharit was looking at the girl wearing strange clothes so he was suspicious and she looked like Mae Nai Garagade making him more suspicious than ever.

“Yeah, let’s go. He said and turned to say to Yai Gui “Please take care of her. I will come to see her again later. If she is sick and you would like me to help, please send a message to me.”

“Jao Ka Taan Muen.” Nang Gui gave her word and told her servants to take Poodtaan to her house.

“Yai, this girl was wearing strange clothes. She might be a forest ghost undercover. I think Yai’d better leave her here. Please don’t take her our home.” Mae Glin looked at the girl being carried like a pig with dissatisfaction.

“She is not a ghost. If she will be, she will be a deity.” Nang Gui said.

“Why her face looks like Khun Ying Garagade and she appeared like popping up in the air. Did you see that? Even Taan Muen had a strange attitude also. I have a presentiment that she would bring disaster to our house.”

“Why do I have to envy her? Yai knew what kind of person I am. But I don’t like her. Did you see her eyes before she passed out? She must be more dangerous than anyone else. She would bring us into trouble.”

“Don’t say nonsense. She hasn’t recovered yet. We don’t know how her temperament is.”

“But Yai..”

Mae Glin could do only to swallow her cursing for that girl down to the throat. She didn’t understand herself why she hated that girl very much. In hate there was fear also. She felt like that the girl had some power that might make her calm life collapse easily.

P.S. If you observe the pronouns in this story they were changed depending on social status of the speaker and listener.

Khun Ying Jumpa called persons in their family

Date = Por Date,
Garagade = Mae Garagade
Rueng = Por Rueang,
Rit = Por rit
Gaew = Mae Gaew
Prang = Mae Prang

Nai Jerm called them:

Date (Praya Wisootsakorn) = Taan Praya
Garagade = Mae Nai Garagade
Muen Maharit = Taan Meun
Muen Rueang = Taan Meun
Mae Gaew = Mae Ying Gaew (Ying = female, girl, woman)
Mae Prang = Mae Ying Prang

Persons outside the family, a merchant, Nang Gui :

Muen Maharit = Taan Meun
Taan = you, he, she, him, her, they, them (call with respect)

Sometimes Pronoun is changed according to the temper of the speaker. :

Yai Guil called her niece “Mae Glin (แม่กลิ่น)”
“Be Quiet Mae Glin.”

When she was unsatisfied she called her “Nang Glin (นังกลิ่น)”

When she was angry she called her “Ee Glin (อีกลิ่น)”

***** The word Nang/นาง (Gui) and Nang/นัง (Glin) when we write in English it is spelled the same but in the Thai language They are different in pronunciation.

Nang = นาง = Mrs., woman
Nang = นัง = a derogatory version of นาง placed in front of a name showing disapproval (Pronunciation is shorter)
Wow awesome, another chapter to go. Thank you so much. Happy weekend :cheer::cheer: