phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
I know "por liang" means stepfather, but it's also used to address a wealthy/powerful man from the countryside too right? The first time I heard it was in Majurat See Nampeung and they were calling Ken's character Por Liang Paat. The second time I heard it being used was in Prom Daeng Hua Jai and they were calling the older landlord Mae Liang. In that case how would you interpret it in English or translate it besides "stepfather," the literal translation? HEHE. Just me being curious.

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
Some words can't be translated and that's one of them. Haha. It would lose its meaning because it doesn't carry the same weight in different cultures.

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
aiyaja said:
Some words can't be translated and that's one of them. Haha. It would lose its meaning because it doesn't carry the same weight in different cultures.

Aha. I see. I understand now. HEHE. At least we know what it's meaning is in this context. 

AikOm^_^

Just an ordinary gal in an extraordinary world.
huajaikaungtur said:
I'm glad your thoughts are similar to mines :) I am super excited for the MV!
They definitely could have taken the cheap route and use scenes from the lakorn but I'm glad they choose to have a whole new MV -- I feel like they don't do that much for MVs these days ... at least I can't think of much other than Michael & Bow's OST ;) But of course, ToomVill deserves to star in the MV -- they're just that special !!~
Oh, I never even thought about the ending in the MV but from the first photo, it makes me wonder :/ Awww, thank you Maiko. I always appreciate your words as well. We're such wordy people, hehe :D

You said it; it's not everyday that they will shoot new scenes for the official MV and turn it into a different kind of MV. I find it sweet and perfect that ToomVill will be starring in it, and it will focus on them (hehe, hopefully). :cry: :wub: Yikes, is the last photo giving you a tragic vibe? :eek: Haha, we certainly are wordy. :shutup: :highfive: Aw, I :heart: your words and thoughts, Marina! Thanks, and you're welcome in return! ^_^ If my answers seem short, it's because you've already said all the good things, and I'm too hungry to think straight. :lol:

songielove said:
A few things I forgot to say..

Welcome back to YOU, @Maiko! I'm so sorry you felt that way, but I'm relieved you are safe and well. Don't ever feel like you are alone. I do apologize that it's been an inconvenience without my computer, so I'm hardly active unless it's for serious lakorn discussion and intense spazzing, haha. I'll try to visit as often as possible, especially as the lakorn progresses. Just know that you are not alone and that P'Vill and all of us love you too! Do drop a note the next time, haha. On another note, I'm not crazy about Noona either, but I'm glad she's taking part. The song is nice, but editing with the endig credits seemed a bit off. It's Toomtam's first time starring in an MV that's not his-- so yeah, that's enough to make me happy haha.

Thank you @aiyaja and Shadow Hunters! I know how tiring it can be for subbers, so I do appreciate your time and dedication. Please take your time and get in some rest too. I'm slowwwwly learning Thai as well, so I'm watching it live when I can, then re-watching it raw, then will watch it subbed to make sure all was understood correctly. XD Yeah, I'm crazy. Love you and thank you.

I haven't re-read the last pages of discussion, but I do want to say a bit about the first two episodes. I don't have much time yet, but will get to it tomorrow or this weekend. It feels good to see everyone here and hyped! :D

AWWWWWWW! :cry: Thanks, Songie! :flowers: :heart: :kiss: I shouldn't have been so selfish. :smack: Haha, all righty, even though it may seem like I'm the only babbling one, I'll always remember you guys are here with me. :grouphug: YES! Please do continue to spazz with us in here! :highfive: You're right about the editing for the ending credits. I noticed that, too. :lol: And I'm also excited it's Toomtam's first time starring in a MV that's not his, too! Yes, thanks an infinity to Aiyaja and the Shadow Hunters! :grouphug: Aw, I thought you're fluent in Thai already. You're doing fabulously. You'll understand it flawlessly soon! :thumbsup: Knowing you, your praises and critiques will sound super sweet.

aiyaja said:

Aw, thanks for the explanation, Aiyaja!

phatman said:
Aha. I see. I understand now. HEHE. At least we know what it's meaning is in this context. 

Yay, I'm learning something, too. :lol:

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
phatman said:
I know "por liang" means stepfather, but it's also used to address a wealthy/powerful man from the countryside too right? The first time I heard it was in Majurat See Nampeung and they were calling Ken's character Por Liang Paat. The second time I heard it being used was in Prom Daeng Hua Jai and they were calling the older landlord Mae Liang. In that case how would you interpret it in English or translate it besides "stepfather," the literal translation? HEHE. Just me being curious.
Maybe they call them that because they're so rich they're like a second parent to them. The boss pays the employees, so it's like they're raising them? Haha. That's what "liang" means "to raise or up bring".

AikOm^_^

Mahalo said:
Maybe they call them that because they're so rich they're like a second parent to them. The boss pays the employees, so it's like they're raising them? Haha. That's what "liang" means "to raise or up bring".

Ooh, haha, thanks for your input and explanation, Mahalo!

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
Mahalo said:

Haha. That sounds right too. 

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
I'm watching EP1 with subs and like I feel so bad for Goon. He really got everything taken from him. I'd hate Wathit too. HAHA.

Just wondering. So Goon and May aren't really dating, but Goon just really likes May and everyone knows that...?

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
phatman said:
I'm watching EP1 with subs and like I feel so bad for Goon. He really got everything taken from him. I'd hate Wathit too. HAHA.

Just wondering. So Goon and May aren't really dating, but Goon just really likes May and everyone knows that...?
Correct!

fun

Expired Sarnie
aiyaja said:
That's why it is best to romanized it (with footnote inserted) instead of translating it as stepfather. It really threw me off because I wasn't watching it with the audio. 

That's one thing I don't like about May. She doesn't speak up... heck that is the character trait of all nang eks lol It doesn't matter if he is a very close friend, he can't claim me as his gf. I will have a say in it. I mean I can tell when it is a joke but obviously Goon didn't make it out to be a joke or a tease. And you know what pisses me off, when the pra ek do it, the nang ek denies it like there's no tomorrow and gets all angry over it. 

AikOm^_^

phatman said:

Aw, not a lot of people liking Watit...tsk tsk. What happened, Toomtam? Stupid scriptwriter. Yeah, I feel bad for Angkoon, too.

fun said:
That's why it is best to romanized it (with footnote inserted) instead of translating it as stepfather. It really threw me off because I wasn't watching it with the audio. 

That's one thing I don't like about May. She doesn't speak up... heck that is the character trait of all nang eks lol It doesn't matter if he is a very close friend, he can't claim me as his gf. I will have a say in it. I mean I can tell when it is a joke but obviously Goon didn't make it out to be a joke or a tease. And you know what pisses me off, when the pra ek do it, the nang ek denies it like there's no tomorrow and gets all angry over it. 

:whahuh: So true. About the last sentence.

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
Mahalo said:

Well, she should say they aren't together. Haha. She's not telling him no, so she's kind of leading him on. Poor Goon. I bet though, even if she said no he'll still go after her. Haha.

fun said:

Haha. You're explanation is point on!!

Awe...I like it that they made Root fall for May before they even met. He's all gosh I almost hit on a girl with a bf!! HEHE.

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
Maiko^_^ said:

Aw, not a lot of people liking Watit...tsk tsk. What happened, Toomtam? Stupid scriptwriter. Yeah, I feel bad for Angkoon, too.

:whahuh: So true. About the last sentence.

They overwrote his character. Haha. 

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
I don't like Wathit, but I do hope he doesn't die. It'll be too heartbreaking.

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
Yeah. It just gets sadder for Koon in Episide 2, the way the Uncle rejects his request to snooping around and using it against him in favor of Watit. Just be upfront about it. Por Liang is always complaining about Koon hurting and killing Watit but what about him? Watit is killing him too with the Uncle's dagger. Poor May who is caught in between. Man, Koon was running around like crazy trying to find that money. He loves May so much, willing to sacrifice so many things for her as you guys watch on. I don't feel sorry for Watit. Besides whining and waiting for death, he doesn't do anything to prove his love for May. He doesnt even try to live a normal life. He's always unstable with his moods. But I guess, I sympathize with him too. Being that sick ever since a baby, you're easily discouraged and depressed. The only thing Watit can do for May is be in her face 24/7. Hahah.

I feel sorry for May and her circumstances.

About the brother's case, I don't know their laws, but like Rut was saying to Rin, if the other side wants to press charges, regardless of whose gun or who started it first, the person who shot it is going to be placed in custody. Especially the gun shot a person too. Plus, this case is ruled as youngsters fighting. It's not like that guy broke into your home and you had to use his gun to shoot him. The police is usually not too understanding when it comes to youngsters fighting. They take it as you deserve jail time. And also, this reminds me of Mos's lakorn with Aom, the one where he shot one of the guys and had to go to jail for it. It wasn't his gun either but somebody died. Plus, the person he went up against had money and power. It could be the case in here too. So in order for the Father not to press criminal charges and continue to persecute Mai, May's brother, the compensation will suffice.

But couldn't they at least bail him out? But it's probably a lot of money to. Oh darn.

AikOm^_^

phatman said:
Well, she should say they aren't together. Haha. She's not telling him no, so she's kind of leading him on. Poor Goon. I bet though, even if she said no he'll still go after her. Haha.

Haha. You're explanation is point on!!

Awe...I like it that they made Root fall for May before they even met. He's all gosh I almost hit on a girl with a bf!! HEHE.

Yes, me, too, on the part about Rut falling for May. :bhehe: That's probably why he'll hate her so much when he realizes that she's Watit's wife. He may suspects her of having a hand in Watit's situation... :scratchchin:

phatman said:
They overwrote his character. Haha. 
phatman said:
I don't like Wathit, but I do hope he doesn't die. It'll be too heartbreaking.

I really wish they had kept his original character. I'm mixed on Watit's fate...

AikOm^_^

aiyaja said:
Yeah. It just gets sadder for Koon in Episide 2, the way the Uncle rejects his request to snooping around and using it against him in favor of Watit. Just be upfront about it. Por Liang is always complaining about Koon hurting and killing Watit but what about him? Watit is killing him too with the Uncle's dagger. Poor May who is caught in between. Man, Koon was running around like crazy trying to find that money. He loves May so much, willing to sacrifice so many things for her as you guys watch on. I don't feel sorry for Watit. Besides whining and waiting for death, he doesn't do anything to prove his love for May. He doesnt even try to live a normal life. He's always unstable with his moods. But I guess, I sympathize with him too. Being that sick ever since a baby, you're easily discouraged and depressed. The only thing Watit can do for May is be in her face 24/7. Hahah.

I feel sorry for May and her circumstances.

About the brother's case, I don't know their laws, but like Rut was saying to Rin, if the other side wants to press charges, regardless of whose gun or who started it first, the person who shot it is going to be placed in custody. Especially the gun shot a person too. Plus, this case is ruled as youngsters fighting. It's not like that guy broke into your home and you had to use his gun to shoot him. The police is usually not too understanding when it comes to youngsters fighting. They take it as you deserve jail time. And also, this reminds me of Mos's lakorn with Aom, the one where he shot one of the guys and had to go to jail for it. It wasn't his gun either but somebody died. Plus, the person he went up against had money and power. It could be the case in here too. So in order for the Father not to press criminal charges and continue to persecute Mai, May's brother, the compensation will suffice.

But couldn't they at least bail him out? But it's probably a lot of money to. Oh darn.

Ooh, thanks for the explanations, Aiyaja!

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
I like May. She knows her heart, actually.

She can't be direct with Watit because she would have killed him in high school. She probably thought okay, with time, this guy will get it and move on with his life or forget this crush of his.

She likes Koon, that's why she was okay with him always helping her and coming over hanging out. She likes him, just hasn't loved and had stopped planning on it since Watit would not let go. She didn't lead him on. She liked him.

fun

Expired Sarnie
Hey this Wathit is a lot better than the previously one. But still I don't like him lol he is just like a Goon. Wathit knows May has no feelings for him yet he will allow the marriage. A good friend would help without anything in return and it seems like Wathit and Goon are not good friends. Well on Wathit's behalf, it's his father. But then again if Wathit didn't act like such a wuss just bc the girl he likes rejected him.

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
If anything, it's Por Liang's fault for not teaching both Koon and Watit to love one another. He always favored Watit, so it broke Koon's heart and spoiled Watit.