❤️ Various ET News

WeirFany

sarNie Adult
@nat12 I agree, I think Mario, Mark, and Great are the most typecasted among the popular ones. And you're right, I think the difference between them and Nadech is that they seem to still enjoy what their job is, so they become the character still. But for Nadech, I don't think his passion lies in dramas anymore. It seems like he enjoys the movie process and they perform well. So many one day, he can just pursue only the areas that really interest him only so that he doesn't lose his spark.

*DramaCuties*

sarNie Egg
Nadech is a professional no doubt about that. But from my observation, I think everything about him is just very obvious?? Its hard to explained. Its not something that he done purposely, but maybe just happen without him realizing it too. Sometimes you can tell whether he feel enjoy or not/ you can tell whether he is comfortable or not/ you can tell whether he feel motivated or not. You can even tell what he likes or interested with. Example: between romance and action genre, Its obvious he likes action more. How you know? Because you can see how motivated he is and it is being translated into his work. Its not that he hate romance genre, but his interest lean more toward other thing at that moment. He is the type that if he can avoid it, he will, but if he cant he will do it to his best, if that makes any sense.

His last drama was doc detective. Personally i think his chemistry with kim are pretty good in dd. But Im pretty sure he choose dd because of his interest with the mystery investigation part and not for the romance. But for mystery investigation drama, it just not exciting enough. It really is such a waste because the drama starts really great but suddenly turn into typical lakorn. CH3 really need a better scriptwriter asap. That is their biggest problem right now.

nat12

sarNie Adult
Agreed. CH3 needs to invest in story and writing. That is what sells. In every market, this is what gets people watching. BPS is the perfect example of how good storytelling will attract viewers.
And then Prom Likit is the best example of how the channel had EVERYTHING GOOD in their hands and still ruined it with a stupid script and a director that lacks sense. :BangHead:

*ahem* Yes, I will forever be bitter towards them for the mess that was PL. :mad:

@WeirFany Part of the reason behind the typecasting is because the channel only makes the same types of dramas. So they get the same character types and then producers cast leads based on what they feel the actors previously did well in, and/or the sizes of their fan bases.

@*DramaCuties* That’s what I’m getting from Nadech.. like he’s not into it so I can’t get into his character and the show myself. I think you identified the possible reason for his lack of motivation… his interest in different genres. Honestly, dramas are mostly romance I because the audience is largely female. They’re the ones into all the jin stuff, and that’s why these p’eks are stuck in that ‘dream man’ archetypes. And I suspect romance dramas are cheaper to make than action or other genres, which is why they’re the dramas that producers often choose to make.

Honestly, I do give Ch3 credit for trying to diversify their drama genres. I can see this effort in shows like BPS, Lai Kinaree, Thong Ek, Mor Luang, Doctor Detective, Matalada, etc. But they really need to make more effort in looking for new competent scriptwriters who are more up to date. And producers and directors who are more skilled. And want to do new things each time. Not just people who are happy making the same types of dramas that they have always been making.

Anne22

sarNie Juvenile
Nadech should do more movies. I just watched tee yod (death whisperer) and he was amazing. no wonder many Thais praised his acting in this movie. honestly, he needs to stay away from lakorn because most of them are craps. he always delivered more in movies. its good that he joining theater because his talent should not be wasted in crappy lakorns.

Anne22

sarNie Juvenile
Ch3 must of

I was disappointed to hear this news too. Boy needs to graduate! We want him in better roles! CH3 BETTER PAIR HIM UP WITH BELLA IF HE STAYING ANOTHER 5 YEARS!!! Only way they can redeem themselves for me.
yes now I hope yaya leaves ch3 but that probably wont happen. In yaya case I think they treat her well. she was allowed to participate in many outside channel works ; hollywood and gmm movie, netflix (I heard she gets another netflix show— to be announced soon). she most likely gonna stay

*DramaCuties*

sarNie Egg
I know every fans want the best for these celeb. But i dont think ppl should worry that much especially for senior actor/actress. Im sure they already think deeply before making their decision whether to renew their contract or not. They already negotiate before renewing right? I dont think they will renew if they dont gain anything at all. So lets just think the best for them AND hope that ch3 realize that they need better scriptwriter and director.

nat12

sarNie Adult
If Ch3 gives Yaya a lot of flexibility in terms of doing movies work outside the channel, then Yaya doesn’t lose out by staying with Ch3. Ch3 definitely benefits by keeping her on.

Same thing with Nadech. I think he’s already achieved his comfortable pace of work with Ch3. These actors are not looking for more stardom or money already (for that they can just choose to do ads and events). They’re more looking to challenge themselves and gain personal satisfaction when it comes to work.

spanky

sarNie OldFart
I don't think ch3 storyline is that versatile in genre.

I feel these ch still suffer the same old trope....but I feel 1hd modify/modernized the trope.

I don't want to compare it to korean/Chinese drama.....but they are more versatile in genre.

So I'm looking forward ...to that drama with Bua playing a autistic " detective "

Kdrama attorney Woo

Thai , their story telling isn't driven....majority of the time it is focus on silly side and annoying villians.....I feel chinese/korean does better side characters you can enjoy and root for.

I.e. bps is successful because they have great supporting and side characters.

nat12

sarNie Adult

I feel these ch still suffer the same old trope....but I feel 1hd modify/modernized the trope
Ch3 is *trying*, but not hard enough, I agree. OneHD tries even harder because it’s generally more difficult for them to win ratings of local audiences, so I feel like they pitch their dramas directly for online & streaming on Netflix or Viu where they are guaranteed to have regional/global audience. And their actors are mainly not very well-known so the plot & script is more important.

Ch3 is still filled with old producers who are making the same type of dramas that they made before, with same scriptwriters they’re familiar with or loyal to. They know they have A-list stars on hand and they have huge fan bases. And they can count on those to bring in ratings and ad revenue for their dramas.

What is confusing to me is that there is an awareness in Ch3 that change is needed. Because they’re also making dramas straight for streaming, e.g, the Mint and Nonkul drama and Toey & Ter drama which are both going straight to Amazon Prime. I have no idea how they differentiate which dramas will be broadcast on their channel and which are only for streaming. Except their BL and GL dramas, which I know are for online only.

neenavaj

sarNie Adult

I feel these ch still suffer the same old trope....but I feel 1hd modify/modernized the trope.

I don't want to compare it to korean/Chinese drama.....but they are more versatile in genre.

So I'm looking forward ...to that drama with Bua playing a autistic " detective "

Kdrama attorney Woo

Thai , their story telling isn't driven....majority of the time it is focus on silly side and annoying villians.....I feel chinese/korean does better side characters you can enjoy and root for.

I.e. bps is successful because they have great supporting and side characters.
The problem with Korean dramas are they do a terrible job with endings. Hyping the story in the beginning to the middle with a very underwhelming climax. Chinese dramas...lots of the dramas have the same plots. Thai drama channels like Ch3 and Ch7 are loyal to old ways so their stories are not up to date with the current events in the world. GMM, 1HD have produced more interesting stories in recent years. Some of their dramas are as good as Korean/Chinese dramas.

spanky

sarNie OldFart
The problem with Korean dramas are they do a terrible job with endings. Hyping the story in the beginning to the middle with a very underwhelming climax. Chinese dramas...lots of the dramas have the same plots. Thai drama channels like Ch3 and Ch7 are loyal to old ways so their stories are not up to date with the current events in the world. GMM, 1HD have produced more interesting stories in recent years. Some of their dramas are as good as Korean/Chinese dramas.

They are all guilty of it....k/c drama still has more versatility in genre.....I say about 50% vs. Thai is about 10%

Cliche and same trope is ok sometimes...esp..when done correctly.

Thai lakorn has bad ending too....too focus on the villians. They are usually always forgiven...get away with everything and even take up screen time until the very last min

I have not enjoy a Thai drama in over 10 years

spanky

sarNie OldFart
Ch3 is *trying*, but not hard enough, I agree. OneHD tries even harder because it’s generally more difficult for them to win ratings of local audiences, so I feel like they pitch their dramas directly for online & streaming on Netflix or Viu where they are guaranteed to have regional/global audience. And their actors are mainly not very well-known so the plot & script is more important.

Ch3 is still filled with old producers who are making the same type of dramas that they made before, with same scriptwriters they’re familiar with or loyal to. They know they have A-list stars on hand and they have huge fan bases. And they can count on those to bring in ratings and ad revenue for their dramas.

What is confusing to me is that there is an awareness in Ch3 that change is needed. Because they’re also making dramas straight for streaming, e.g, the Mint and Nonkul drama and Toey & Ter drama which are both going straight to Amazon Prime. I have no idea how they differentiate which dramas will be broadcast on their channel and which are only for streaming. Except their BL and GL dramas, which I know are for online only.

Kdrama and c drama evolve from where they were 10-15 years ago.....but thai....are pretty much the same...about 10% in evolving vs. C/k drama are about 50%.

Also barely eng sub..except for gmmtv/1hd. Granted, I don't need it, but is clear internationally fans exist.

Only BL and GL is streaming and guaranteed subs....if ppl don't follow Thai lakorn...they think Thai drama is only (90%) lgbt content. On viki, Thai content lgbt are about 8 out of 10 Thai lakorns available on it.

I often rewatch older drama that maybe available, even so...they have taken it off YT

Last edited:

neenavaj

sarNie Adult
Kdrama and c drama evolve from where they were 10-15 years ago.....but thai....are pretty much the same...about 10% in evolving vs. C/k drama are about 50%.

Also barely eng sub..except for gmmtv/1hd. Granted, I don't need it, but is clear internationally fans exist.

Only BL and GL is streaming and guaranteed subs....if ppl don't follow Thai lakorn...they think Thai drama is only (90%) lgbt content. On viki, Thai content lgbt are about 8 out of 10 Thai lakorns available on it.

I often rewatch older drama that maybe available, even so...they have taken it off YT
We can say that about Japanese dramas too, its hard to get into Japanese dramas because they are unique to their people, they haven't really "evolved' either. Perhaps Thailand is similar to the idea that they cater their dramas to the Thai audience. Chinese dramas are still not very popular outside of China vs Korea who is internationally famous for their dramas.

spanky

sarNie OldFart
We can say that about Japanese dramas too, its hard to get into Japanese dramas because they are unique to their people, they haven't really "evolved' either. Perhaps Thailand is similar to the idea that they cater their dramas to the Thai audience. Chinese dramas are still not very popular outside of China vs Korea who is internationally famous for their dramas.

Thai drama are not popular to thai ppl. Their rating view are low even with streaming as an extra option. It been low for a long time.

Chinese drama are popular internationally. 90% of them are (multiple subbed)and on netflix..hulu..amazon...disney...ect....just like kdrama....kdrama broke internationally before Chinese drama...but Chinese drama has been popular internationally more than Thai series

I'm not sure where you get it from that C drama are not popular as Kdrama.

Even thai ppl watch C and K drama more than thai lakorns.

Due to the rising popularity of Chinese content in recent years, TrueID - a Thai online video platform - set up a dedicated Chinese television section.

Last edited:

neenavaj

sarNie Adult
Thai drama are not popular to thai ppl. Their rating view are low even with streaming as an extra option. It been low for a long time.

Chinese drama are popular internationally. 90% of them are (multiple subbed)and on netflix..hulu..amazon...disney...ect....just like kdrama

I'm not sure where you get it from that C drama are not popular as Kdrama.

Even thai ppl watch C and K drama more than thai lakorns.
Chinese dramas are popular but they are definitely NOT on Korea's level of popularity. Korean shows are the only ones hitting top in most countries streaming platforms. You can't compare Cdramas to Kdramas yet. Sorry to break it to you. They'll get there someday, but the stories are not as appealing to a international audience. Also, the CCP's crack down on Cdramas with their strict guidelines is a major turn off for fans.

Thai dramas might not be popular for Thai people but the production companies still have to cater to Thai people, rather ratings are low or not, if it mattered, I think we'd be getting better dramas don't you think?

Last edited:

spanky

sarNie OldFart
Chinese dramas are popular but they are definitely NOT on Korea's level of popularity. Korean shows are the only ones hitting top in most countries streaming platforms. You can't compare Cdramas to Kdramas yet. Sorry to break it to you. They'll get there someday, but the stories are not as appealing to a international audience. Also, the CCP's crack down on Cdramas with their strict guidelines is a major turn off for fans.

Thai dramas might not be popular for Thai people but the production companies still have to cater to Thai people, rather ratings are low or not, if it mattered, I think we'd be getting better dramas don't you think?
I never said Chinese drama is more popular than kdrama.

I said that C drama are popular internationally like Kdrama....kdrama broke into the international market long before C drama.....they are are subbed available on viki, youku, wetv.....ect...on YT ch...they make it easily available for international viewer...regardless of their censorship....they do lot of simple easy romance series that target that audience....along with some other Complex storytelling

c and k drama do some remake of each other. Thai do remake of both....that show lack of good storytelling ability and being innovative to try new things

Thai lakorn use to hit double digit 10-15 years ago...
Available on YT. Now it is not available and they need to have account with ch3 or ch7....the 2 top ch.....even with that...their rating with thai ppl are like 1-5....7 is consider high now....which is rarely met. Ch7 action lakorn do reach high and double digit.

They need to progress themselves because they have a big audience.

I.e. BPS

nat12

sarNie Adult
We are not getting better dramas because the producers are choosing to make the same type of dramas that they always make. That’s all they seem to know how to make. They are excusing the fact that ratings are low because people don’t watch live tv anymore, they are choosing to watch later via their devices. But not just tv ratings have fallen… on average view counts on their apps aren’t that high too. Great was so popular when PL was on air a couple of months ago. But his current drama with Namtarn & Toey is only getting around 2-ish in ratings, and just hitting about 100K in views on 3Plus. These numbers might increase later, of course.. but these days 3 is considered average, and 5 is considered good. Live view numbers 100-200K is considered average.

Ch3 seems to be making dramas only for the old-time viewers like the people posting on Pantip. They often start posts asking suggestions for fantasy casting of old dramas to be remade. Which most viewers today will be like - ugh, we would rather not have remakes. When the disagreement between Prom Likit’s novelist and scriptwriter broke out last month, most on Pantip agreed with scriptwriter. Most in twitter were on the novelist’s side — and they tend to be the types who watched K,C and other dramas too. Ch3 may have considered PL a huge success, and ratings were indeed high. But the fan meeting tix weren’t sold out. And until today they’re still selling the drama’s merchandise — which likely meant they didn’t sell well.

Ch3 isn’t focusing on the right things. Script must be of utmost importance, and then finding the right actors. And then all the marketing - which needs a unified strategic approach. If the script is interesting enough, you don’t need Pope-Bella to make it a huge success. Denkhun’s last drama (granted it was an evening drama) had an average story, but ratings-wise it hit 5-6, considered a success. If script, direction and editing isn’t good, then even having Nadech-Yaya cannot guarantee good ratings. They need scripts with fresh approach, written by scriptwriters who are more aware of what today’s audiences like to watch. But I think those scriptwriters are writing scripts for producers who make dramas for Netflix and other services. Like whoever who wrote the script for Analog Squad on Netflix, which I just started watching.

spanky

sarNie OldFart
We are not getting better dramas because the producers are choosing to make the same type of dramas that they always make. That’s all they seem to know how to make. They are excusing the fact that ratings are low because people don’t watch live tv anymore, they are choosing to watch later via their devices. But not just tv ratings have fallen… on average view counts on their apps aren’t that high too. Great was so popular when PL was on air a couple of months ago. But his current drama with Namtarn & Toey is only getting around 2-ish in ratings, and just hitting about 100K in views on 3Plus. These numbers might increase later, of course.. but these days 3 is considered average, and 5 is considered good. Live view numbers 100-200K is considered average.

Ch3 seems to be making dramas only for the old-time viewers like the people posting on Pantip. They often start posts asking suggestions for fantasy casting of old dramas to be remade. Which most viewers today will be like - ugh, we would rather not have remakes. When the disagreement between Prom Likit’s novelist and scriptwriter broke out last month, most on Pantip agreed with scriptwriter. Most in twitter were on the novelist’s side — and they tend to be the types who watched K,C and other dramas too. Ch3 may have considered PL a huge success, and ratings were indeed high. But the fan meeting tix weren’t sold out. And until today they’re still selling the drama’s merchandise — which likely meant they didn’t sell well.

Ch3 isn’t focusing on the right things. Script must be of utmost importance, and then finding the right actors. And then all the marketing - which needs a unified strategic approach. If the script is interesting enough, you don’t need Pope-Bella to make it a huge success. Denkhun’s last drama (granted it was an evening drama) had an average story, but ratings-wise it hit 5-6, considered a success. If script, direction and editing isn’t good, then even having Nadech-Yaya cannot guarantee good ratings. They need scripts with fresh approach, written by scriptwriters who are more aware of what today’s audiences like to watch. But I think those scriptwriters are writing scripts for producers who make dramas for Netflix and other services. Like whoever who wrote the script for Analog Squad on Netflix, which I just started watching.

Yes....I feel evening lakorns has better rating....they also have better script....I watched you're my universe....typical thai lakorn....except the villian isn't soo damn annoying and taking up soo much screen time....the main Leads had great scenes and they had good communication.

It had decent rating too... between 2-6

I feel BPS was like that too...character driven and not too focus on the villian

Even gmmtv is progressive....but only with sexual content and not exactly good script.....they are "trying " when they are not doing trashy show like club friday....good old day was good storytelling of ppl struggle and growth

nat12

sarNie Adult
Evening lakorns are generally for whole family, right? So plot has to be simple, script must appeal to different ages. As long as actors are decent and have good enough chemistry, the story should be able to flow.

The prime time lakorns are the ones directly competing with international series for audiences. I find Club Friday super depressing and annoying. Do the concept of healing/inspirational dramas not exist in Thailand? Must all lakorn be “zaap” & intense? I don’t mind that they are intense, but if the only way that scriptwriters know how to show it is by showing people fighting, shouting at each other, slapping at each other, constantly showing adultery.. I find it tedious, repetitive and boring.