Veterans VA Newbies

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
It's not fair to compare an entertainer with 15+ years of experience to an entertainer with 5+ years of experience, but when you put side to side a veteran's early days to a rising star today there's no comparison at all as to who's better. Entertainers back in the days started with more talent and were better than entertainers nowadays. When I say back in the days, I'm talking about 70's to early 90's. They had more to offer and showcase due the raeng-ness of the lakorns.

Entertainers back then were given better roles and scripts that allowed them to fully fledge into who they are today. And those roles gave them the opportunity to showcase their skills, which they may or may not have had. Today's entertainers have very limited roles to play, there isn't much versatility. At least not to the extent of old times. So I think a part of what makes today's entertainers talentless has to do with the lack of good intense roles. That doesn't excuse everyone of course, since some peeps just aren't cut out for acting liKe *ahem* Smart *ahem*. Haha. Anyway, it's not just Thai ET though, it's everywhere except in America. Haha. Stars today just aren't living up to the standards stars yesterday set.

fun

Expired Sarnie
I just have to say some veterans, no matter how long they have been in the industry can just suck as bad as some newbies. There's so many factors that goes into a character to make them likable, relate-able and alive. Plus it is not always guarantee that a talented actor will succeed in drawing a large audience. 

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
fun said:
I just have to say some veterans, no matter how long they have been in the industry can just suck as bad as some newbies. There's so many factors that goes into a character to make them likable, relate-able and alive. Plus it is not always guarantee that a talented actor will succeed in drawing a large audience. 

Haha. Like Smart. I tried to like him, I really did. I gave him a couple of chances. 

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I have to agree, Matt might not have the most vocalized fan base, since she doesn't have that "kookwan" thing going on for her. It seemed most of her fans like her with Great but they are not overly crazy and doesn't mind she ventures out with other actors. Basically, she is popular based on what she can offer not what others can do for her.

Channel 3 isn't dumb enough to keep on giving the girl 2-3 lakorns per year if she isn't doing anything for them, remember first and foremost they are about business and what makes money for them. And think about this, channel 3 is such a stiff competition with new actors/actresses emerging all the time and the famous couples that take lakorns opportunities from those that doesn't have a "couple" to ride on, yet she still gets more work than most.

And among those that starts around her and those that are deemed the most popular nowadays aren't as talented as her. Only those that see through a fan's eyes for their favorite will see that she is not good and probably judged talent on other things beside the talent part alone. In today ET industry, popularity seemed to trump talent and for Matt to survive this long by herself is credited to her skill.

Anonymous<3

sarNie Oldmaid
I saw a comment about Kim so I just wanted to say that while Kim may have some flaws in her acting, if I were to compare her to the majority of the younger generation actresses, especially three in particular who are also up there in popularity and who I won't name, I would have lots to say about how mediocre and flawed their acting are. Kim's acting isn't perfect yet, but it's not lacking to the point where I feel that she, and only she, should be mentioned.

In my eyes, Kim and Matt are the only Ch.3 actresses from this generation with talent and potential. I favor Kim, but I can also acknowledge that Matt has skills comparable to that of the older generation's. Kim isn't perfect in her craft yet, but considering she's only been in the industry for five years, she's still got a lot to learn and time to grow. Even still, she and Matt are the top, if not the only, younger generation actresses from Ch.3 who have potential and talent.

Matt may not receive the best lakorns, but at least Ch.3 isn't downgrading her in rai or supporting roles. I believe that gradually, she'll receive better projects.

As for Kim, I and many others have already seen how well she does with and without Mark. Nothing against Mark, but frankly, Kim doesn't need him. She could succeed on her own without a koo jin. Many of Kim's fans, including myself, love her not because of MK, but because of her skills and her ability to generate chemistry with every actor she's paired with.

monkeykimmy

sarNie Adult
Anonymous<3 said:
I saw a comment about Kim so I just wanted to say that while Kim may have some flaws in her acting, if I were to compare her to the majority of the younger actresses from this generation, especially three in particular (who I won't name), I would have lots to say about how mediocre and flawed their acting are. Kim's acting isn't perfect, but it's not lacking to the point where I feel that she's the only one who should be mentioned.

In my eyes, Kim and Matt are the only Ch.3 actresses from this generation with talent and potential. I favor Kim between the two, but I can also acknowledge that Matt has skills comparable to that of the older generation's. Kim isn't perfect in her craft yet, but considering she's only been in the industry for five years, she's still got a lot to learn and time to grow. Even still, she and Matt are the top, if not the only, two younger generation actresses from Ch.3 who have talent and potential.

Matt is talented. At least Ch.3 doesn't give her rai or supporting roles. Her lakorns aren't the best, but I believe that gradually, she'll receive better projects.

As for Kim, I and many others have already seen how well she does with and without Mark. So while not having a koo jin could decrease her popularity (since viewers nowadays care more about koo jins vs individual talent), I don't believe that Kim would just disappear from the entertainment industry either. No hate against Mark, but frankly, Kim doesn't need him. She could succeed on her own. Many of Kim's fans love her not because of MK, but because of her skills and chemistry with every actor she's paired with.
Exactly what I'm going to say :clap2:  :clap2: Especially the last part. I actually think Kim's development is a bit limited by KooJin promotion. She can have a greater develop without KooJin but its the way to gain couple fans so I can understand it.

Anonymous<3

sarNie Oldmaid
monkeykimmy said:
Exactly what I'm going to say :clap2:  :clap2: Especially the last part. I actually think Kim's development is a bit limited by KooJin promotion. She can have a greater develop without KooJin but its the way to gain couple fans so I can understand it.
Yeah, I agree. It's not only limiting her abilities as an actress but it's also not satisfying for us as fans who want to see her with different actors too. :/

monkeykimmy

sarNie Adult
Anonymous<3 said:
Yeah, I agree. It's not only limiting her abilities as an actress but it's also not satisfying for us as fans who want to see her with different actors. :/
Hopefully she'll get more chance to work with other talented actor especially veterans. Maybe I'm her fan but whatever I think her acting is the one of the top between actress born after 1990. 

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
Haha, you ladies are throwing veteran names I've only heard of, but have never personally watched because I was too young.

The generation I grew up watching with full comprehension is Aum, Noon, Kob, Aom, and so forth. This generation will always be very dear to heart regardless of how much time has passed me by. :crush:

I'm glad that everyone can exchange opinions rationally. :lol:

To be honest, an actor/actress depends on everything, the script, the storyline, the director, the producer, the editor, the lighting, everything. That's why every actor/actress has their own hits and misses. A great actor/actress alone cannot make a horribly written drama or poorly produced lakorn good. We usually remember lakorns where everything fell into place, all of the stars aligned and BAM! An awesome lakorn makes history. Like Leh Ratee 2015 for example. It was a HUGE hit this year. Can I say that Sean and Esther or even Gypsy and Jes are the most talented bunch of actors/actresses? No. They all still lack in the acting arena, but with a great storyline and production, people are going to remember them for these roles.

I'm going to name some of the hits and misses of the highly mentioned names on here. A great actor/actress fluctuates depending on the lakorn and production. Acting is not a consistent thing nor is it a thing where once you have it, it stays with you forever and you're forever awesome. No. Acting is like 6 pack abs, you have to constantly educate, challenge, and add to your profile or else you'll become rusty and bad at it.

Ken Teeradetch: Ken was awesome in Sawan Biang but horrible in Majurat See Nam Pueng.
Andrew: A few of the lakorns I will always remember him for are Toranee Nee Nee Krai Krong, Look Mai Glai Ton, and Tang Parn Kammathep. However, I couldn't stand him in Mongkut Saeng Jun and Kehas See Dang.
Tik: I go way back with Tik ever since Soda Gub Cha Yen. He was absolutely adorable. Tik has had a lot of hit lakorns, not only commercially, but to me personally as well like Tawan Tud Burpah and Luerd Kattiya, but sadly, Yah Leurm Chun was a pain to watch. Currently in Singh, I'm not impressed either.
Anne: I know that the majority of people on this forum adore Anne, but for some reason, Anne comes off annoying to me in almost every role. Anne has this tough and stubborn attitude in almost all of her characters. Like Noon, they're always so self righteous. Haha. I can name the few lakorns where I actually enjoyed a more toned down Anne like Sai Roong (I totally love this lakorn to bits.), Jaosao Prissana, Samee Thee Thra, Reng Ngao, Seur See Foon, and Sawan Biang. Those are my top lakorns for Anne. And then of course, Yah Leurm Chun like I said again, was a pain to watch. Both Tik and Anne lacked a lot in that lakorn.
Aum: Everything after Plerng Payu has been a blur for me. Aum pretty much portrayed all of her roles the same after that lakorn. I believe Ch. 7 productions are to be largely blamed for that matter because that was when Ch. 7 productions went down hill, tremendously. I am so disappointed in Ch. 7's quality of lakorns.
Noon: Noon continues to challenge herself in a variety of roles. I love that about her. She still has fire and passion. However, Noon sucks at comedies and characters with a lot of pride because like Anne, Noon can be extremely annoying. I believe a great actress can still portray the elegance, the pride, the highly respected image of a character without coming off annoying. Haha. :lol: Ugh, just reminds me of how much I disliked Noon when I was watching Ban Roi Dok Mai, but then, the script and repetitive storyline of that lakorn was to blame too.
Mew Lalita: She was once hailed as the Queen but now, after so many years and starting a family, her acting isn't as solid as before. Same can be said about Mam Kathaleeya and Tang.

I'll break it down to channels when it comes to the new generation.

Ch. 3
Yaya: I wasn't really into Yaya until I saw one of her crying scenes in Game Ruk Game Rai. Oh, the way of how she cried and the emotions that poured out during that one scene when she found out that her older sister was behind everything was gorgeously performed. I sort of skimmed the lakorns thereafter but didn't really find an interest in any, so I'm looking forward to NNS with James Ji and KC with Mark. In the Rising Sun Series, Yaya displayed some of that talent I fell for but due to the lack of a good storyline and script, it didn't get passed that. Yaya has a lot of potential to become a great actress. Yaya has a subtle way of acting in serious roles plus she knows how to control her tone and voice projection too, if given the right role, the right director, and production team, Yaya can definitely excel. Game Ruk Game Rai has been the only hit for me while the rest have been misses.
Kimberley: Kim is one of those rare actresses who didn't have any downtime in transitioning into an actress like Pat or Poo. Kim is a natural when it comes to acting. Kim has only improved and gotten better with each lakorn, but I've yet to see a role that totally defines or challenges her, so I hope the lakorn with James will be it. A lot of Kim's roles have been light, so that may be one of the reasons too. Kim's two best roles would have to be Kratae in Raeng Pradthana and Prao in Abruk. I adore Ananberley, but Wanvisa is one of Kim's misses.
Bella: Bella probably has the best portfolio in terms of diverse roles. Bella nails each role successfully and differently too. Although, Bella was annoying in the one with Mark, but her portrayal in Plerng Chimplee was awesome. She went from being a sweet villager, to wife, to mother, to losing her child, YET she never lost her grace. I adore Bella and believe that if she continues receiving good roles like this, she'll definitely have a bright future in acting.
Mew: I adore Mew and saw her as Look Sorn in Sai See Plerng; that's how good she was, but she's so dry in Singh. I can see Mew go far though. She has it in her.
Nadech and Mario are the strongest links for actors. However, Nadech failed at portraying twins. I get confused when I see the both of them together. Haha.

Ch. 7
I think Mai, Min, Pancake, and Nao are the strongest links. These ladies are good at acting but I wouldn't consider them great, just yet. Reason being, Mai portrays all of her weak nang'ake roles all the same. Even in Nang Chada, the ghost Rin reminds me of Nak in Pee Mak, and when that happens, it's never a good thing. Min pretty much does the same thing. I find Min acting all of her characters the same just with different pra'akes. Haha. I adore Pancake in Waen Sawaad with Thanwa but she's still weak in that, if Pit didn't have short hair, I wouldn't be able to tell the twins apart and one is supposed to be bad. I haven't seen enough of Nao besides the stupid lakorn with Vee but she's pretty decent so far.
Kwan: I've adored Kwan for the longest time; however, I admit, she's not that great of an actress. I'm currently watching the lakorn with Tui and I'm so disappointed. She still comes off a bit awkward in her acting.
Baifern: I adored Baifern ever since the movie with Mario but her lakorns have been a bore. I used to think she was pretty good at acting but the lakorn with Porshe sort of said the opposite.

Weir is the only guy at Ch. 7 I like left but his recent portrayals have all been disappointments too because his acting has remained the same, which makes all of his roles the same just with different names.

I'm sure these ladies are at a disadvantage acting for Ch. 7 productions. Like I said before, a great actress cannot save a horrible production. My opinion of them may change once they branch out and work with other channels with quality.

Ch. One
Vill: Like I said again, every actress is going to have hits and misses including the one I adore the most like Vill. Vill was great in Kohn Tuen, Sao Noi, and Sood Sai Paan, but she regressed in Ngao Jai. I believe Ngao Jai's disappointment was due to the lack of storyline, script, and the style of acting that P'Aom and Ah'Piak wanted. I don't watch every Vill lakorn. I don't for any actress/actor regardless of how much I adore them. But I've seen enough of Vill's lakorns to say, she's pretty decent. Vill is the few who can portray twins extremely well and different plus two nice characters like Wanida and Nid in Sao Noi in the same lakorn yet you think you're watching two different people.
Mo: I was most impressed with Mo in the lakorn wtih Pong and FF. Mo's crying abilities are top notch, probably one of the best of her generation. This girl doesn't even need to flinch and tears are already rolling, beautifully too, with emotions unlike Pat, where her tears are falling like stars but no feelings.
Noona and Bie are good.

Push, Sean, and Toomtam have potential. They're still new, we'll see where they go from here. Oh, New is good. Haha.

GMM
Tor and Kao have a far bright future ahead of them. They're both really good.

My overall conclusion why the veterans may be better than the current generation of actors/actresses. I don't necessarily think it's true.
1. I don't think it's the koojin image that is necessarily limiting these actors/actresses. It's much more that this generation is too afraid to challenge themselves and get out of their comfort zones. The market is so competitive now, everyone is afraid of taking on a strong role or changing their image. It's all about popularity now, no longer talents. It used to be talents that would lead the path to a bright career, now it's more of who is more popular that will secure their future.

2. Thai lakorns are still the same lakorns decades ago. Nothing has changed. We are hit with remakes these past few years and still are. It's sad. There's nothing refreshing about Thai lakorns. The audience has been changing, but the lakorns haven't. We no longer care for the same old recycled storylines. Yes, some remakes still make it big but from what I've seen, a lot of the remakes don't live up to the hype of their predecessors. Why? Because the audience who are living in 2015 want freshly created storylines that we can relate to today, not 1980's or 1990's, which were when these remakes emerged. Yet it amazes me how sucky some remakes are when they're freaking remakes. They have all of the work cut out for them already.

3. The quality of Thai lakorns are horrible. Who approves of Ch. 7 lakorns? That person needs to get fired, seriously. How can they let such junk air.

4. We are in a transitioning generation. The veterans like Aum, Noon, Janie, Anne are still around, so the bolder roles are given to them. It's not the new generation of actresses' turns yet. They're still in their early twenties. Give them some more time. They're still doing cute and light roles, which is normal. They're still young. You're only young once, so enjoy the cute roles while you still can.

5. Yes, koojins. Koojins in a way limits both actor and actress. Yadech is paired up every year. It doens't allow them time and experience to grow in their own craft, individually. With everything being a popularity contest and koojins are the IT or IN thing for now, this generation doesn't want to lose their koojin status because that means losing their rank in this big high school of Prom King and Prom Queen even though, they should stay true and loyal to their first title, actor/actress.

6. Thai lakorns are Thai lakorns. There's only so much an actor/actress can portray before it all looks the same. There's no variety.

7. I don't think the new generation takes acting seriously anymore or not as serious as before. They don't completely become the character, they act as themselves in the character.

As for Matt, I agree that she's a good actress but I wouldn't say she's with the veterans yet. I've watched a few of her lakorns, but oddly, I don't follow her work. I don't know, guess it's just preferences.

As for James Jirayu, he is good looking and a pretty decent actor for a newbie. He's also a natural too when it comes to acting. I understand the hype about him. In my opinion, he's a way better actor than James Ma. James Ma as Ronapee didn't have the most difficult role. Haha. Khun Chai Powornruj did in my book. James Ma is still such a weak actor even in the BTS of him with Kim, his acting is weak.

These are ALL subjective opinions na ja. Hopefully, I didn't step on too many toes.

Ending:
Good acting to me is being able to portray certain emotions and roles spot on, which every actor/actress I've mentioned here can do, no doubt. Awesome acting to me is to become that character, that person, for that lakorn and to become a new character and person in the next lakorn without anyone ever seeing the shadow of the previous characters in the current one. This is rare.

Okay, my post was probably totally off topic. Hahaha.

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
I also wanted to say, this generation is probably too busy doing events rather than study their roles and scripts. Haha. There are no consequences for poor acting now. I mean, the producers and directors don't dare tell the leads what to do because they're sort of at the mercy of these popular kids. I mean, we have Tik K here waiting for Mark and Yaya to be in her production? She may have great reasons to but let's be honest, Mark is such a weak actor. Homeboy still can't act much. Although, better than before but still, needs lots of work. He acts the same in all of his roles on top of being a weak actor. Yaya is decent but she's not the best. So what does that say? Producers and Directors partly choose their cast based on talents but popularity plays a huge role too. But this is just from one perspective na. I'm just saying that could be one of the reasons why this generation is weak at acting. They aren't pushed hard enough because at the end of the day, they have elders who will still give them work and a fanbase who will still praise and worship them like they have no flaws. Haha.

I'm the opposite. Whoever I adore, I'm the harshest to. Hehe.

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
Good post Aiyaja. Would give likes but can't do it from my phone.

Everyone has their preferences of who is good and who isn't. It is so hard to criticize or review certain actresses and actors these days because of sensitive fans. We see it here often enough. I wonder how many more years before we no longer see quality productions.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
I agree with Aiyaja. I'm most critical of my favorites. Although I support them, if they have flaws, I acknowledge them so I can keep track of their future improvements. I realize that Sammy is pretty underrated in this forum. People should give her works a try to see that she is also a competitor among the list of talented newbie actresses.  

Ncmeowmeow35

sarNie Oldmaid
I don't remember any of Sammie's lakorn. I should watch the bodyguard one that everyone kept recommending.

We have to be most critical of our favorite, else how would they improve? Can't closed our eyes and be biased. I love Vill but can't stand a lot of her acting. Gotta agree with aiyaja that she got better in SN and SSP. Still not great but improving. I also love Donut and think she is great but dislikes most of her lakorns.

You know who I think has potential to be great? Mike P.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Mike from Raak Boon or the one from Ch.7? If it's the guy from Ch.7, I agree!
Yes, give Bodyguard Sao a try. It isn't the most challenging role from Sammy but it's an overall great lakorn. 

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
I only liked Mike's acting from RB. I tried watching him in Full House and didn't like it. He's too feminine for me despite his deep voice and tallness. There's a Michael Pattaradet from Ch.7. Lol.

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
I've seen some of Sammy's earlier lakorns before and found nothing memorable but that was before she became nang'ake again, so I'll definitely check out some of her lakorns. I did skim through the one with Porshe, but wasn't interested. Perhaps due to Porshe. Hehe. Or perhaps it just wasn't my style of lakorn.

I really try not to be bias but in the end, I am. However, I'm usually harsher on the ones I like. I can't turn a blind eye. Haha. For Vill, she's weak when it comes to crying scenes like on the spot. It takes her a while for tears to drop. Haha. Vill shouldn't do comedy. It literally makes me turn the other way. Haha.

As for Mike, he's a decent actor but gosh, both he and Aom were annoying in Full House. Haha. I'm not a fan of Aom either. There's something that bugs me. Perhaps I'll like her later on, one day.

I tend to do that. A role, a character, or a lakorn will change my perception of an actor or actress. I don't normally automatically like someone. Like Vill, disliked her from the beginning until Kohn Teun, I softened up a bit and then it wasn't until 2013 with Sood Sai Paan that I became a fan. Hehe. I didn't adore Kimberley until Raeng Pradthana. So I do watch lakorns because I'm a lakorn fan. I don't always follow the work of my biases. It's just that, Ch. 7 productions have been so bad, if it's a face I'm not acquainted with, I don't even make an attempt to watch it.

preetam

sarNie Oldmaid
Mahalo said:
Mike from Raak Boon or the one from Ch.7? If it's the guy from Ch.7, I agree!
Yes, give Bodyguard Sao a try. It isn't the most challenging role from Sammy but it's an overall great lakorn. 
What Bodyguard Sao not the most challenging role? First this lakorn was my fav of 2013 and I keep watching it and never get tired I love everything except the girl playing Sammie best girlfriend. I found her character mega annoying and weakest link ! Bodyguard you have to display professional girl fighter protector and stoic without appearing lifeless tomboy or awkward. Through your stoic a little cold and professional mannerisme one have to perceive your saddness of seeing your parents killed but at the same being able to give off a warm and a girly charm who can convinced us that Id, once he saw he will never turn back no matter what. This is tricky role and I can see a lot of newbies taking the easy way and failing it ! This one definitly wrote Sammie name as my fav newbie. I love her fighting scenes. This girl killed it !! Years of acting different supporting roles payed it ! This girl showed it again as Walapa the year after. A character totally different from BS who can easily played like a 'bimbo' with no personality but Sammie was so undearing as teenage girl walapa who brcame good at fighting one were surprised by her chemistry with Porshe and I was convinced that walapa was a girl of the 70's not a 2015 one - I see a lot of newbies failing this aspect also. If I am right Sammie is not new to period lakorn.