Thai people's strange eating habit.

Lindt

sarNie Egg
If we always afraid of germs, so how did our ancestors lived through these whole thing? think so? before they don't even have spoon or anything or only share a piece of food to survive. If germs from sharring food will killed us, we would have died since we were born.

For me, i think sharring is much more like showing love between family and it's like that since i was born..

mango

Lakornaddict ;)
i dont think it's strange either. Especially if their family, however if it's a person you dont really kno or trust you wouldnt wanna eat or share something of yours. Cuz sometimes when my mom, dad, sister, aunt, cousin, and someone I'm close with is eatin and im hungry but lazy to get something to eat i'll ask or tell them to feed me.
Also, it's their business how they wanna eat.

I agree with u Lindt and the others who thinks its really normal how some ppl eat.
But if you care so much about how others eat then if u see it or dont like it then turn around or walk away. If it bothers u soo darn much. Cuz some think its a normal thing to do.

Germs arent dat big of a deal. Unless u get sick from it.

fuzzy-wuzzy

sarNie Juvenile
it's not the matter of ban-nok or not... i eat the same soup bowl with my family..lol..it's ok for me... and i'm not ban-nok..lol..

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I never heard that eating from the same bowl is ban-nok. That is strange, then I must be totally ban-nok and I've never even been to an actual ban-nok before! AND only in some cases do thai people thuck food for others using their utensils, usually there is a fork or spoon on that plate of food that we use to thuck food for others. ANd most important of all, sharing is caring ka.

~Sandy~

Memories with Oil from his U.S. Tour in Nov 2009!
"never nice", you don't even know me. i'm just stating my opinion and i don't get offensive, i just speak how i feel. and no i don't drink from the same cup as my friend or my family. i don't like to eat with strangers, heck i don't even like eating with strangers. to me it's not about class, it's about cleanliness because you just don't know where people's mouthes been and what kind of germs they have. if you and your family eat out of the same bowl with the same utensils then that's your business. oh, as the saying goes, you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.

I did not say you weren't nice, i said you never have anything nice to say. That's right, i DON'T know you, personally don't wish to know you. But i have read things you say in other threads, and i repeat myself, its never anything nice. And here you go getting offensive, bla bla bla... And whats this you say "as the saying goes, you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl."...so who's the country girl are you referring to, if you weren't trying to basically call someone "baan nok" AGAIN. So, your opinions are STILL being judged by you (judgemental) and disrespectful to the person you are considered "baan nok" because they share utensils.

GERMS?!?!? There's more important things to worry about than germs!

AzNpAnDa486

sarNie Juvenile
i dont think its weird at all.....everytime i go to thailand i do that too. i dont really think of germs when im eating with other people. i usually think of whats going into my stomach. like if i eat sushi, will i get food poisoning, thats the main concern for me when i eat.

and i dont think its baan nok to share food with the people your eating with. and i will tell u one thing, my friends in thailand are some of the richest people there....they share their food with eachother too. does that make them baan nok? i think its more of a friendly and family oriented thing...

Pac

sarNie Egg
i dont see anything wrong with that...i mean its only ur family and u would know if they have any diseases....i dont see why people would call it "Ban nok"...its Ok for me

noungning

Heartless
Well, Im Laos and my families do not share the same soup bowl. We have our own separate bowl for soup. We also have a serving spoon in all our dishes that we share. Some of my relatives share their soup...so I each family is different. I dont think that being called ban nok is a bad things. Its like calling a white person hill billy or something.

well calling someone barn nork isn't a bad thing, it all depends on the person's intention, and basically on this thread, the person that started the thread was intending to offend and she did, which probably made her day. or is it a he i'm not sure, but anywho, when you call someone a hill billy, for a white person, i don't know if you ever observed but it is very offensive for those who doesn't joke around. and they aren't okay with it.

as for the person who started this thread, it's funny because if you want to talk about cleanliness, GIRL/BOY just don't eat!!! have you ever read the book called fast food nation? do you know where your food came from? now don't tell me all you do is sip on clean water?! lol because there is no such thing as CLEAN anything... now lets start to imagine...

non-vegitarian --you like eating a burger, the meat where did it come from? it was a cow before being slaughtered. it might have eaten it's own crap for all i know. all the bugs in the grass, all the bacteria in everything it consumes even it's own crap. then it's sent in to the slaughter house, the machine that cuts through that badboy, who touched the machines prior all this, is it sanitized? who knows! then through all that process, after being in chunks it's shipped out holding numerous bacteria that is invisible to the naked eye. the chef washes it, and prepares it for the meal or burger you just ordered. now let me ask you a question, do you see chefs wearing gloves in those high-end restaurants? who knows where their hand was touching. then the dishes, they were just washed but who touched it to plate it for you? it goes on and on...

vegitarian -- how do you know nothing or no one urinated on to that salad you ate? how did you know that there wasn't once bird crap on the spinach leaf you had in that wrap. it goes on and on also... how do you know if the salad was even washed?

might as well starve yourself if you are that concerned about germs and bacteria. everything in this world isn't clean! soak it all you want in that sanitizer but once it's exposed, it's contaminated.

simple minded people tend to be self-centered and base their own opinions as the greatest. it's sad your opinions have no weight weighing it down, because it's just a pathetic conclusion you brought about from your own personal guidelines which was probably developed from observing media. so what's next? you don't kiss your boyfriend/girlfriend because you are scared of germs? :huh:

Muddie Murda

smile...
*clappy clappy for ning* haha ^_^

My family used to eat from the same bowl soup, but then my mom got everyone their own big ass mug hahahaha not that it got nasty or anything...it was just a bigger serving for each person. ^____^

AzNpAnDa486

sarNie Juvenile
we'd be fat if we always had our own bowl of soup.....lol.

Sooooo do "hi-so" eat burgers with forks and knives and spoons also???
i think someone puts it in their mouth for them, but i think their hands have to steralized and the burger has to be wrapped around a napkin....

ChenrukNote

Goddess
LOL! I love this thread. LOL. Ppl are so funnnnnnyyyyy! But yes Fast Food Nation is the most distingustingest book I have ever read in my life!!!!! I own it too, that's even weirder. Germs, I love germs. lol.

smileD

sarNie Hatchling
I don't even know what ban-nok means, but this is a really interesting topic. Anyways, I do it my family too so it doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't do it when Im eating out though. If Someone eats in my house, they are going to eat like us too. :lol: