Thai people's strange eating habit.

petitecupcake

sarNie Egg
Well, Im Laos and my families do not share the same soup bowl. We have our own separate bowl for soup. We also have a serving spoon in all our dishes that we share. Some of my relatives share their soup...so I each family is different. I dont think that being called ban nok is a bad things. Its like calling a white person hill billy or something.

ns0051

sarNie Egg
for asian people being called "country" is offensive (well at least to me it is) but to americans it is not.

anyhow, i grew up sharing one bowl of soup so that is "normal" to me and i don't think it's "ban nok"

Karen

Donghae and Siwon
i agree with everybody!! it's not ban nok!! i think she's just high class!! In a way you dissing laos people by saying that. You wouldn't like it if somebody diss you like that!!

~Sandy~

Memories with Oil from his U.S. Tour in Nov 2009!
onahc NEVER has anything nice to say! She then gets offensive and says it's her opinion. Everyone is entitle to their opinion, but onahc's opinion becomes judgemental and disrespectful.

Anyways, I'm Laos! And there's no way i can be "ban nok" especially living in a large city like Chicago IL USA. As a family, we have one soup bowl, and we each use our spoons to eat out of it. Its the exact same thing as eating sticky rice, we each use our own hands to grab them.

So...if you do not wish to eat the food someone scoop for you with their utensils, then don't eat it!

sandyc

sarNie Juvenile
i don't think it's ban nok...or anything in that way..i mean, like everyone's been saying...it's normal..it's a typical thing....for you...it might not...but...that's you...and nobody can judge you for that...but just calling people ban nok is kind of rude and really unnecessary...and yes that's your opinion..but just by the way you word things...it just didn't come out right..and others may get offended by it..... hopefully you understand.... for it to be in lakorn...it's just acting....the actors look like their really eating...but it's still acting.... this is my opinion..

onahc

sarNie Elites
onahc NEVER has anything nice to say! She then gets offensive and says it's her opinion. Everyone is entitle to their opinion, but onahc's opinion becomes judgemental and disrespectful.

Anyways, I'm Laos! And there's no way i can be "ban nok" especially living in a large city like Chicago IL USA. As a family, we have one soup bowl, and we each use our spoons to eat out of it. Its the exact same thing as eating sticky rice, we each use our own hands to grab them.

So...if you do not wish to eat the food someone scoop for you with their utensils, then don't eat it!

"never nice", you don't even know me. i'm just stating my opinion and i don't get offensive, i just speak how i feel. and no i don't drink from the same cup as my friend or my family. i don't like to eat with strangers, heck i don't even like eating with strangers. to me it's not about class, it's about cleanliness because you just don't know where people's mouthes been and what kind of germs they have. if you and your family eat out of the same bowl with the same utensils then that's your business. oh, as the saying goes, you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.

iamnowhere

sarNie Adult
"never nice", you don't even know me. i'm just stating my opinion and i don't get offensive, i just speak how i feel. and no i don't drink from the same cup as my friend or my family. i don't like to eat with strangers, heck i don't even like eating with strangers. to me it's not about class, it's about cleanliness because you just don't know where people's mouthes been and what kind of germs they have. if you and your family eat out of the same bowl with the same utensils then that's your business. oh, as the saying goes, you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.
Well La-DEE-DA

natty

Chubs
if it's not about class then you wouldnt be calling those who do eat from the same bowl ban nok

anyways.. being call baan nok is not a big deal unless it was meant to be offensive.... people from the country as well as city may eat the same way.. it just depends on how you grew up.. even high class people eat from the same plate, getting food for one another from the utensil they eat from... it all depends on the individual.. are you social or anti social.. do you look at people equally or do you judge people and put them down when they don't follow the same custom as you.. onahc may believe we are baan nok and we may see her as being poo dee.. oh wells.. people have their ways of life... their own custom...

my dad always tell me, your personality and judgement toward other culture are what determines your class.. you can act all high you want but if your thinking is lower then dirt then you are nothing but lower then dirt.. if you cant respect other's culture and way of life, then just go live in a box..

and chewy said "talking high class is different then being high class"

Vanida

Save World Save Life
i found it to be ok just going say it stupid hello who the heck used a fork to eat pizza in a lakorn omg they act like they so rich and americanlize whatever even in amreican we used hands just to eat a darn pizza please grow up but at least its not in real life or maybe some are crazy that do do it lol

natty

Chubs
HAHAHA vanida!! boo you! lol.. i use a fork to eat pizza lol.. but not cus i want to act all high class or anything but i dont want to get my hand greasy.. however when i'm with friends studying then yeah i do use my hands but with a napkin on the bottom to soak some grease.. /")_("\ hehehe..

what's weird about that? i guess to others who don't eat that way, it would seem strange...but most people/families in asia do that...it's normal if you grew up like that each mealtime (like i did and many others here, i'm sure) ^_^

fan

sarNie Juvenile
in thailand... people use actual silverware to eat at kfc and go nuts if they are given a plastic fork or something because the place is busy and they eat pizza with a fork and knife

people eat things differently and not every one is "a clean freak" (no offense intended just the saying)

im guessing some people just live in a plastic bubble because they are so afraid of the germs they will get.... wouldnt be able to shake someones hand or even kiss someone cuz who knows where they have been

sandyc

sarNie Juvenile
regardless of how clean the the forks and spoons looks...even if you wipe it off with a napkin again...there's still bacteria on it...or a little bit of germs...it's really hard to get rid of germs...and it's always in you body...even after typing on your keyboard...you'll still have germs on your hand from touching it.....even siting on a table at the restaurant....there's still germs on the table because of the towel they use to wipe it down....everywhere you go and everything you use...it'll still have germs..and things like that...you just never know how clean everything are unless you boiled it in hot water...

donna

sarNie Adult
haha i guess that they do. but if my burger is too big i use the knife to cut it in half.

Twinky

sarNie Elites
i was reading this and i was like what is the big deal. my aunt say that when her kids were small she chew the food and then give it to them hahahah. now doesnt eating out the same bowl or with the same fork seem like nothing. I can see why this was done back in laos but she still does it with her grandkids here in the states. hahahaha. bout the ban nok comment i have nothing to add because that is just a judgemental statement and i aint going ot go there. but reading these post made me think of that

sindy

sarNie Egg
to me it's not about class, it's about cleanliness because you just don't know where people's mouthes been and what kind of germs they have.
Honey, germs are everywhere... They're on every doorknob, every piece of clothing - even the air you breath in has germs. You're not going to get any more than your body can handle just by sharing food or drinks with someone. :rolleyes: