Tanning!

Muddie Murda

smile...
*stares at my farmer tan* :spin:

Hahaha So I was at the beach the other day, walking alone on the side of the beach
. And there are these girls there, roasting away in the sun. I mean, they KNOW it's dangerous. They KNOW it'd probably cause cancer. They KNOW they'd probably get wrinkled sooner...etc.

They know all these, but why would they still do it? o_O If they really cared about their "beauty," they would know that roasting would cause them to shrivel up quickly in life...BUT WHY!?!?!

:D Yeah, maybe it's the wrong forum to ask...hahaha who does tanning here? I hate getting a tan, so I was all crying when I was in Cali. T__T

noungning

Heartless
ahahah i don't like a tan. i don't tan on purpose, but i do eventually tan because it only takes 10 minutes in the sun and i turn from yellow to brown!

i was in thailand and used some spf 45 and spf 50 sun block to protect myself from turning black... but um yeah i turned brown... but some ppl doesn't even notice the change... o well

jensen

sarNie Fansubber
i dun tan either. When i lived in Laos, i was white. When i was back to France, people didn't believe that i went there. But this year, i turned "brown" in France where it's not as hot as in Laos. Well to be precise, the right part of my body is brown, due to driving lol. I'm an alien lol.

i don't tan, but i know alot of people at my school does and most of them get it for free you know why? they either work at a tanning place or own their own tanning bed. lmao. damn white people want to be dark. that's somewhat funny though. white people want to be dark and where the asian people want to be light. lmfao. >.<

XCappy

Mr. Char
Clear boobs or dark boobs... all the same. :D

Well it's just a social thing now. I don't want to make stereotypes, but that's what I can add :

- White people get dark so as to make other people know they have money to go out and have vacations.

- Asian people get light so as not to be seen as poor workers.

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
ma mom kills me if i turn darker ==' i was never allowed to play out untill tha sun went down a bit ha evil and when we went out i had to wear jacket or like umbrella haaa and i was made to use crappy whiting stuff thats why if u eva come to bkk and u ask me why im wearing jacket in the hot weather i just got used to wearing one haha!

dfemc

sarNie Adult
Clear boobs or dark boobs... all the same. :D

Well it's just a social thing now. I don't want to make stereotypes, but that's what I can add :

- White people get dark so as to make other people know they have money to go out and have vacations.

- Asian people get light so as not to be seen as poor workers.
:lol: EXACTLY! it's not a stereotype cappy, but rather a true social critique, i've always saw it in that way too. and not just Asians that want to get light for social purposes, but among Blacks and Latinos as well. (it's so embedded in history of colonialism, while some may argue it's anthropological :rolleyes:)

it reminds me of an incident, when my mother sent me to ask the girl at the counter in sephora for whitening cream. except that the whitening cream was for her, and she's already freakin' white, but she's looking to stay that way. while i'm super dark in skin tone and asking the girl for these creams. :rolleyes: the girl gave me a strange look, and i knew she was totally thinking "this chic has the MICHAEL-JACKSON syndrome". argh! what asian mothers put u thru?! <_<

i personally don't have to spend that much time in the sun to tan myself. but i do love the sun a LOT :blush: it's reeeally bad for me, but it explains why i was always such a dark kid. i wear lots of sunscreen spf 55, not to keep myself from getting dark, cuz that's inevitable, but just to protect from the rays.

u get lots of Vitamin D to help absorb ur calcium though from the sun ^_^ but yes, everything should be done in moderation.

from a tan womyn's perspective, its' utterly annoying that asians are so obsessed with being white (my frustration is based more on my mother and her family, who use to pick on me for being such a dark child, because they're all super light-skin) while white ppl are so obessesed with being tan. and if u go to most countries out there, skin color correlates with a social gradient. the darker u are, the poorer u are, the lighter u are, the richer u are. it's especially true in Mexico, and it's been used as a basis for discrimination for ages in most culture :(. i think it's fine if u care about ur skin's health or if u have preference to look light. but if u just want to have white skin, because u find it to be a standard of beauty, i would question myself these "standards of beauty" as to why being light is considered to be more beautiful, especially in a time, when asian culture find it trendy to look more "euro-centric" or anglo white in terms of facial features and overall appearances (as seen in thai-pop, j-pop, k-pop, and overall asian-pop culture).

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
MICHAEL-JACKSON syndrome :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ma white friends all wanna get tanned n use all these tanning stuff so annoying im like ughh why bother haha!! and then when they get burnt they always yell about it

natty

Chubs
lol d, dont you find it funny that alot of the white skin asians here in southern california wear jackets or long sleeve shirt in the middle of summer because they dont want to get dark. or those asian women who pull down their face visor while driving? lol i see so many of those in alhambra.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
MICHAEL-JACKSON syndrome :lol:

ma white friends all wanna get tanned n use all these tanning stuff so annoying im like ughh why bother haha!! and then when they get burnt they always yell about it
seriously right ICE, why even :lol: if ur gonna end up looking like a burnt tomatoe, it's disgusting.

yeah, my mother's a freak, i told her to go ask herself, and then she has the nerve to laugh at me after i pull it off for her, cuz she saw the girl's strange looks too. no one thinks we're mother and daughter, cuz we're like night and day standing side by side :rolleyes:

lol d, dont you find it funny that alot of the white skin asians here in southern california wear jackets or long sleeve shirt in the middle of summer because they dont want to get dark. or those asian women who pull down their face visor while driving? lol i see so many of those in alhambra.
hahahhaha i totally know what u mean Jae, it's like being in VietNam all over again, where all the womyn and girls look like :ph34r: NINJAS, totally covered up from head to toe with those long prom gloves and crazy bandanas masking themselves from the sun while on their motorcycle. :loool:

ppl and all these EXTREMES *sigh*, why can't they just protect their skin's health with sunscreen and just accept their natural tan or whiteness (both asians and whities) :rolleyes:

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
So my dad always read these health tips and then get all crazy about them. When I was younger, he read that you can get vitamin D through the sun. Next thing I know, he was ALWAYS laying in the sun until his skin peeled. Then I told him that he's going to get skin cancer like that and that he needs sunscreen. THEN AFTER THAT, he slathers sunscreen all over, even in the house. Luckily, that whole phase lasted only a couple of months cause I could NOT stand the coconut cream smell in the house.

On a side note, my dad is all into the water thing right now. After hearing how good water is for you, he drinks like two gallons a day and then complains about how he might have something wrong with him cause he pees a lot.

ijohn

sarNie Adult
---i like a good tan it brings out the native look in me cos i'. 50% north american indian but when i'm dark and i'm in thailand the locals think i'm like this stupid thai american that can't speak the language well---lmao... :loool:

noungning

Heartless
So my dad always read these health tips and then get all crazy about them. When I was younger, he read that you can get vitamin D through the sun. Next thing I know, he was ALWAYS laying in the sun until his skin peeled. Then I told him that he's going to get skin cancer like that and that he needs sunscreen. THEN AFTER THAT, he slathers sunscreen all over, even in the house. Luckily, that whole phase lasted only a couple of months cause I could NOT stand the coconut cream smell in the house.

On a side note, my dad is all into the water thing right now. After hearing how good water is for you, he drinks like two gallons a day and then complains about how he might have something wrong with him cause he pees a lot.
wow tell ur dad not to get poisoned from drinking too much water.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
wow tell ur dad not to get poisoned from drinking too much water.
Haha, unlike dumb people who do radio shows that have you chug water to win, if you drink water like normal people, it's almost impossible to get poison by it. You will either pee it out or sweat it out before that happens.

noungning

Heartless
Haha, unlike dumb people who do radio shows that have you chug water to win, if you drink water like normal people, it's almost impossible to get poison by it. You will either pee it out or sweat it out before that happens.
well hey it's always good to be careful! ;)

Kkrystal

สุภาพบุรุษจุฑาเทพ
=( I don't tan and my skin doesn't tan either. I went to cambodia/thailand for 3 weeks and I came back lighter.

AznGirlTha

sarNie Egg
i dont tan i am too scared. all the magazine articles about skin cancer scares the *beep* out of me! however i am very dark. i went to laos and people were like you arent supposed to be dark. but anyways its hot in texas! i cant wear sunblock either it makes me even more darker. those that happen to u?

i hate tanning so much! urgh! so many people put themselves at risk just to get a tan...that's ridiculous! maybe i'm just biased, since i try to stay as light as possible...lol. :) but if someone really wanted a tan, couldn't they just get a bronzer and self-tanner rather than baking themselves outside? that would make so much more logic...