Recipe Help

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I need help with a recipe. I've been living alone for a few years now and I miss eating my mom's cooking. She use to make this fried rice with sour pork thing, I think it's call Khao Nem. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to make it or at least have a recipe for it.

Here's what I'm talking about:

dfemc

sarNie Adult
ooh i love that during my pre-veg days...hmm.. does ur mom not have the recipe for u? can't u call her up for it? if not, i'll ask my ma about it, and post it.

noungning

Heartless
lol i think it's called nam khao not khao nam lol

i can give u my imaginary recipe... lol um MIND U, i can't cook but i can guess

i'm not sure how u make it but i can guess what's in the ingredients for the rice ball before the complete mix to the way the pix looks - include plik pao curry paste, coconut flakes, egg, jasmine rice, fish sauce, sugar ---roll into a ball, fry it in veggie oil or whatever oil u want until it browns

then seperately break apart the nam (laotian som- cured pork)

break apart the rice patties or balls u fried, and u'll get a bunch of rice

mix in a bowl, the rice, the nam, some lime, some chopped up scallions/and lao type of parsley, unsalted peanuts, and fish sauce for flavor

then garnish with some roasted dried red chilli peppers

i think that should be it... but hmmm i might be missing something, but i think i got it all. lol my mom makes it but i don't really like eating the mixed version, i like the rice balls alone lol :p

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I'll be honest, I had no idea what it was called, I just knew it was Nam something but when I looked it up, it pulled up Khao Nem so that's what I thought it was called. :)

I can call my mom but she and I have different schedules so she's at work when I'm at home.

But I got the recipe online, thanks anyways. :) I found it but it was in French I didn't know that I could automatically translate it to English until after I posted this. lol I love google! I can read and write French but I'm not fluent yet so I didn't wanna get something wrong.

I guessed most of the recipe from taste and from the picture but I wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving anything out. I would have never guessed that I needed both soy sauce and fish sauce though or red curry and chili powder. There's actually no sugar in it but people's recipe could vary.

noungning

Heartless
i see. my mom puts in sugar to cut the fish sauce taste. but she doesn't use soy sauce nor chilli powder. i would post a pix of it but i don't have one of that lol.

soupansa

sarNie Hatchling
Man, if anyone can teach me how to make some good ass papaya or Thom Khem then it'll be kick butt. I suck at papaya salad. I can never get it right so I go buy them at the Hmong stores haha. I like Thom Khem esp. the eggs and the sweet taste in it mmmm.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Man, if anyone can teach me how to make some good ass papaya or Thom Khem then it'll be kick butt. I suck at papaya salad. I can never get it right so I go buy them at the Hmong stores haha. I like Thom Khem esp. the eggs and the sweet taste in it mmmm.
I might be able to give the recipe. It learned to make papaya salad when I was 9 years old. :)
Haven't eaten it in ages though.

ling

sarNie Hatchling
I think for Thom Khem (sorry if i spelled it wrong) you have to cook the sugar first. Cook it till it is brown but not burnt. Then you add the eggs (cooked eggs) and then water and all the spices and meat or poultry, which ever you prefer.

Or you could add this one spice thing my mom gets from the asian store. It is actually already good so all you do is add it to the sugar and it is good to eat. It's got lots of spices in it for Thom Khem. I've seen some people just cook the sugar first and then add water, the spice (sorry don't know what it's called but you get it from the asian market and it is in a packages like the powder you buy to make Nam...it has the picture on it so it's not hard to find. I think it is called five spices or something but not sure) and then add all the other stuff.

I really love it with pigs' ear, it is nice and soft and crunchy! kekekeke ;-)
But i've seen lots of people put other stuff too. So i guess you can get creative, but don't mess up the ingredients because then it will taste wrong.

Hope this help.

saobomp

sarNie Adult
i dont put oyster sauce on mine...

if u use to much curry paste it'll have peek gang smell and taste...
a lil just to give it some color will do...

pretty much what said about the way to make it is correct but i leave some stuff out like oyster sauce, saracha, brown coconut...
i just buy the shredded coconut from the asian store or american store that is use for garnish but not the sweet one...

it's call nam som moo b/c u use some moo in there

nina07

sarNie Adult
hmm. coconut in nam? i've never had that in nam before ..:huh:
But we do eat it with dried peppers and wrap it up in lettuce LOL :D

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
hmm. coconut in nam? i've never had that in nam before .. :huh:
But we do eat it with dried peppers and wrap it up in lettuce LOL :D
We put a bit of coconut milk and curry in our nam.. it taste really good.. it gives it a little kick. When you add coconut and curry, it's more of a Thai nam, but nevertheless, both versions; Lao and Thai are good.