Mr. Hmong 2010

It is that time of year once again! Hmong Student Association of Fresno will be hosting the Mr. Hmong Competition again this year. We had a great turn out last year. But as last year's Mr. Hmong Competition was our first time putting together such an event, we know there are many thing we need to improve. Our audiences are of great value to Hmong Student Association. We would like last year's attendees to help us on what we can improve on this year. We are in the process of choosing the judges for our event. It would be a pleasure to read your inputs in what our criteria for our judges should include. Even better if you can give us a name of an individual or individuals you would like to see on our judging panel. Suggestions on anything else from lights, sound, transition, program to guest performers will be warmly accepted.

Thank You very much.

Applications for interested Mr. Hmong canidates will be releasing soon
FOR MORE DETAILS VISIT US AT WWW.MYSPACE.COM/HMSA

dajdeev

sarNie Juvenile
- Contestant must speak Hmong only.
- Must dress approporiately because I saw a round where they all dress in normal clothes which is wierd.
- Must have a sash on all of them.
- Contestant need to smile more!!!!!!!
- Need better lighting
- Much better if do it at Hmong New Year along with Miss Hmong International. <----- I know that you guys will ignore this because you guys want this title to belong to you guys. you guys should do this because it will let people from out of state come and see it too.

You guys should look at how all miss hmong pageant look like. also, think of that prince charming pageant in MN, that can be good example.

- Contestant must speak Hmong only.
- Must dress approporiately because I saw a round where they all dress in normal clothes which is wierd.
- Must have a sash on all of them.
- Contestant need to smile more!!!!!!!
- Need better lighting
- Much better if do it at Hmong New Year along with Miss Hmong International. <----- I know that you guys will ignore this because you guys want this title to belong to you guys. you guys should do this because it will let people from out of state come and see it too.

You guys should look at how all miss hmong pageant look like. also, think of that prince charming pageant in MN, that can be good example.
Thank you for taking the time to write these suggestions.

Our main goal and purpose of this event is to find a role model for the Hmong community and especially the Hmong males. We would like to encourage all fellow Hmongs to learn their language and customs, but we strongly believe that although you may not be confident in speaking Hmong, you can still be a good role model for the rest of the community. That is our purpose.

The round that you are speaking of was the casual wear. We allowed them to show off what they wore on a daily bases as we hope that would give our audiences a sense of who these young men are. It was also a chance to show off their individuality.

Please understand that none of your suggestions and comments will be ignored. We are a small student organization, in comparison to HINY, there is no comparison. We start events like this one because we are always looking for ways to improve and start something new for the community when others are not. We start events like these in hope of others carrying on the idea.

Thank you soo much for you contribution! If you would like to name some suggestions for judges, that would be greatly appreciated!

HuabNag

sarNie Adult
Glad that HMSA had started this..I missed last year event so definetly I will go this year. I understand you guys try your best to put this together and make it something new for the community which I really appreciate the work done. However, as a role model for the Hmong community I think the contestant need to show some volunteer works in the Hmong community before they can enter the competition. Also as a requirement they need to commit some hours to help improve the community in some ways. If the contestant know some Hmong cultures will be nice. If the organization can do this, I think it will be awsome.

edit:
Judge:
1. People with knowldeges in Hmong culture, and american cultures..it will be difficult to find one that is expert in both cultures but it will be nice to have half of the judge from American culutre and half that know the Hmong cultures.
2. Someone with education background will be nice too because they can understand the system better
3. more to add later

Mae

sarNie Adult
I agree that contestants must speak Hmong only! Our language is such an important part of our culture and people that who ever gains this title should be well-rounded in all aspects of the pageant, including knowing the language. Even if he can't speak it fluently, it'd would be much more inspiring if he at least tried. One two many times I have witnessed contestants who can't speak the Hmong language win at pageants (whether male or female), who have promised to learn the language, but I have never seen any results. It's just plain sad if they consider themselves as Hmong, but can't even speak the language.

dajdeev

sarNie Juvenile
Thank you for taking the time to write these suggestions.

Our main goal and purpose of this event is to find a role model for the Hmong community and especially the Hmong males. We would like to encourage all fellow Hmongs to learn their language and customs, but we strongly believe that although you may not be confident in speaking Hmong, you can still be a good role model for the rest of the community. That is our purpose.

The round that you are speaking of was the casual wear. We allowed them to show off what they wore on a daily bases as we hope that would give our audiences a sense of who these young men are. It was also a chance to show off their individuality.

Please understand that none of your suggestions and comments will be ignored. We are a small student organization, in comparison to HINY, there is no comparison. We start events like this one because we are always looking for ways to improve and start something new for the community when others are not. We start events like these in hope of others carrying on the idea.

Thank you soo much for you contribution! If you would like to name some suggestions for judges, that would be greatly appreciated!
You're welcome!!!

From my point of view for judges should be Miss Hmong, Singer, Producer, Lawyer, Business people, etc....

I also want to add one more suggestion. I think you guys should start the competition during HINY dates. It doesn't have to be at HINY but it should start during HINY, so more people can come and watch. Also it's best to promote the pageant that time and you guys can bring all the guys along with you guys in the parade. I think this is the best time and day to start the competition.

rainie_vang

sarNie Juvenile
I agree that the Mr. Hmong competitors should only speak hmong, because how are they supposed to set an example and perserve our culture when he can't speak our native language? How are we, as a community, supposed to look up to him and make him our idol, when he lack knowledge of his culture?

I think this year's competition should be a little more serious. Last year's competition was the first one, so I understand why it was a little humerous and people were nervous. I want it to be serious because I want others to look upon it as something important and not just for fun or entertainment. Plus, I think the winner of Mr. Hmong should do something known in the community, not just to earn the title solely and disappear without a trace.

It would be nice if the place for the competition this year is bigger, so more people can go, since now more people are aware of the event.

I like the entertainments in between. It's good to relax for a while.