[Mainland] Ballad of the Desert

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
Omg, now I see who Eddie Pang remind me of... he's a mixed of Louis Koo and Gordon Lam!! I miss those TVB actors from the 90's! I just realized The Maggie Chueng is in here! I used to watch most of her series back then. "Old Time Buddy" was one of my favorites!some of the veterans TVB actors are in mainland China series. What happened to TVB/Hong Kong series? Are they not popular any more?
TVB has poor management, that's why many of their actors/actresses in the last few years have been moving to Mainland to expand their careers. Many people are also blacklisted by the company because they either vocalized their dissatification with TVB experiences like Sheren Tang and Felix Wong or they went to work for the rival company, HKTV. They're definitely not as popular as they used to be. They lack the creativity to create good dramas and they're forbidden by Jin Yong to recreate any of his novels (which is more or less a good thing because how many versions of the Condor Trilogy do we need!!? lol). I would say that TVB was at the peek of its time with their wuxia series, especially ones adapted by the novels of Jin Yong and Gu Long. Most of their fadans (the equivalent to nang aek) didn't bother renewing their contracts so they're resulting to either promoting the girls from beauty paegents who signed with them (who can't act for shit!) or seeking older TVB actors/actresses from the 80's/90's. I don't even know whos popular anymore at TVB besides Rucco Chan and they're trying hard to promote Kevin Cheng's girlfriend, Grace Chan.

As for Eddie, he actually reminds me a bit of Aaron Kwok and Dicky Cheung in terms of acting style. He's quite adorable! I loved him in Young Warriors of the Yang Clan and in this one.

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
Thanks, @patesserie!! I've lost interest in TVB series after Khmer dubbed company from Cali stopped dubbing. The last series I saw from tvb was Virtues of Harmony(modern one). The ancient one was one of my favorites!! Wow, I didn't know that there was so much changes with the company. The dominated the show business back in the 80s-90s! There were so many great actors from that time.

patesserie

sarNie Hatchling
Thanks, @patesserie!! I've lost interest in TVB series after Khmer dubbed company from Cali stopped dubbing. The last series I saw from tvb was Virtues of Harmony(modern one). The ancient one was one of my favorites!! Wow, I didn't know that there was so much changes with the company. The dominated the show business back in the 80s-90s! There were so many great actors from that time.
Np! I've lost interest in TVB series as well. They're just not the same quality as before. Luckilly I've collected so many Chinese series over the years so when the American companies stopped dubbing, I have a large DVD collection to last me lifetime lol. I'd rather re-watch older series and revive good old childhood memories or watch ones that I've never touched before instead of tuning in to the later ones. I think the last TVB series I actually finished was Line Walker. Oh wow we sure do have a lot in common! Virtues of Harmony is one of my all time favourites as well, especially the ancient version! I own both the modern and ancient part in Khmer but haven't gotten around to finishing the modern one. It's like 150+ Khmer episodes and I think I only got to EP 110 lol. Indeed there were so many talented actors/actresses back in the days. They were on a whole other level on their own. It's sad to think that back then, there was TVB, ATV, various other Taiwanese productions, Media Corp etc. and now there's not a lot of choices to watch anymore. I'm not big on Mainland dramas but in the recent years, I've highly enjoyed Bu Bu Jing Xin, Nirvana in Fire, The Disguiser and Ode To Joy.