Lydia clarifies her relationship with the former prime minister

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
lol, but yeah the former PM is rich, he bought a soccer team in London, because he had nothing else better to do with most of his corrupted funds... <_<

its a football team in Manchester ( Manchester City ) Kinda far from london....

plus i think its her bussiness really not really what i come to read bout here coz all this gossip and stuff on people is just stupid they just normal people she can do what she like. even if u think its right or wrong....

noungning

Heartless
^i should've said UK instead of London... my appologies.

There's a girl on youtube who's supposedly an old friend of Lydia (she sent me old pictures of Lydia, back when in the days before all that makeup, clothes and weight lost -- NOT pretty). She said Lydia never went to school in the US.
As for getting into an Ivy League school, there are tons of students across the US who get perfect 4.0 GPAs, that doesn't mean they'll get into an Ivy League school though. In many schools there's at least 3-5 students who have a perfect 4.0, it's the extras that make them valedictorian and not even all valedictorians get their choice of any college. It's really not as easy as getting good grades to get into an Ivy league college, it takes a whole lot more (helps if you went to really nice high school too, preferably one that has ties to the college you want to go to), then you gotta tack on social ties or family (if you have had someone that's gone there it's only slightly easier to get into the same school). I remember having to go through all that stress, grades just weren't enough, there's clubs, sports, school activities, all sorts of tests, special level classes, etc.
this is true... even if u have a 4.0 gpa. ur college application can be dropped if you don't have what the department wants or is looking for. i've read plently of grad applications for an ivy league school. because the person i work for is a prof. and associate chair of engineering... he has a good say of who should be considered, but who read those crap before he does? i do... and i've read many applications with 4.0gpa excessive experience, but lacked one thing they were looking for, and the application basically meant nothing...

juicee

sarNie Elites
hey noungning, so what's the one thing they're looking for? just curious, maybe it'll help me out when i apply to med school.

anyways, yup you guys are right, a 4.0 doesn't guarantee a spot at the ivys. I know plenty of people with below than average gpas that got in and people with high gpas who didn't. and i never heard that lydia went to school in the states, i thought all her schooling was in thailand - just that she went to a international school there. anyways, she could have turned harvard down, my friend did, she went to ucla instead, but i kinda doubt that lydia would turn harvard down. i think if she did get in, it was to the international program and not the actual harvard itself - but who knows, it's all conjecture.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
yep GPA isn't everything. I knew this girl who had the same GPA as I did during high school, she didn't get into a school she wanted to get into because she took less AP courses than I did and I barely got accepted. The only reason I even got accepted was because I had a great GPA, I took tons of AP courses, I had community college classes at night, I was in several groups such as NHS, Key Club, Academic Decathlon, with tons of other academic teams and such >.O. I miss high school x3 LOL

that was totally otopic lol

preawXXsornram

sarNie Fansubber
i never said tat you will surely get in with a 4.0 GPA. i just said tat's possible. how can we know the truth? i was just saying it in my POV, i wasnt even saying tat she got into harvard. cos usually thai people wouldnt turn down harvard. cos if you graduate from harvard, it's like u're a genius...

*off topic*
noungning and KhoOnxNouxWanxJai , some questions, is it possible to get into harvard or any ivy league with GPA like 3.8 and only join the sports team in sch (no other activities or community services or AP courses..but just an international student) just wondering... SAT 1 and 2 700++, TOEFL 100.

and im a soph now, i wanna get into a good college. if my high sch tat im gonna transfer next year is a good high sch (many students get into harvard each year)...(im not aiming for harvard though, too hard to reach, just a good college) what other things should i do? join clubs and sports in my school? what if it's too late to take AP courses??(i cant take any AP courses) just wondering, how many AP courses did you take?

if an international student have a GPA of 3.8, great recomendation letter. SAT about 700+ for math and eng. and 100+ for TOEFL. but no sports, or clubs no AP courses, just 1 or 2 Honors class. do you think she would get into a good college? but the problm is, she've been into 4 high schools in her high sch years(transfer every year, will tat make her look bad or anything?)

I came to USA a bit too late...so i(and the other 2 examples) can't take any AP courses or Honors courses. im a soph, and i dont think i can get any Honors next year(cos my eng teacher thinks my eng is not good enough) and im already gonna take 2 science(bio and chem) at the same time next year, so i cant take Honors. and i also cant do tat for math. is it possible to get into a good college?

noungning

Heartless
hey noungning, so what's the one thing they're looking for? just curious, maybe it'll help me out when i apply to med school.
ok for instance. the applications i was looking over were for biomedical engineering grad school. i was looking for someone who had both lab experience and somewhat tech savy who can use medical devices, been in the lab disecting something, and someone who can also hop on the computer and not be illiterate. additionally, their experience, how they write. what their essay says and is it even making much sense to what they are applying for? i know it may sound a lot... but u have to consider that 1. u are applying for grad school, 2. it's an ivy league school, and 3. you are competing with thousands.

as for undergrad, i would think u need to show some dedication and interest in that field... i.e. voluteering, showing leadship skills, activities, grades, recommendations, references, ESSAYS! rewrite rewrite rewrite. always read it over, you don't want to submit an essay to a school u really want to enter starting off with grammatical problems. and for your field med school, like what i tell my younger sister, if you really want to do it, u have to be focused. get a volunteering gig at a local hospital, and that's what she did, which she's also working partime weekends, and doing other club activities. while also sticking to school and trying to get the most help with SATs and preparation.

*off topic*
noungning and KhoOnxNouxWanxJai , some questions, is it possible to get into harvard or any ivy league with GPA like 3.8 and only join the sports team in sch (no other activities or community services or AP courses..but just an international student) just wondering... SAT 1 and 2 700++, TOEFL 100.

and im a soph now, i wanna get into a good college. if my high sch tat im gonna transfer next year is a good high sch (many students get into harvard each year)...(im not aiming for harvard though, too hard to reach, just a good college) what other things should i do? join clubs and sports in my school? what if it's too late to take AP courses??(i cant take any AP courses) just wondering, how many AP courses did you take?

if an international student have a GPA of 3.8, great recomendation letter. SAT about 700+ for math and eng. and 100+ for TOEFL. but no sports, or clubs no AP courses, just 1 or 2 Honors class. do you think she would get into a good college? but the problm is, she've been into 4 high schools in her high sch years(transfer every year, will tat make her look bad or anything?)

I came to USA a bit too late...so i(and the other 2 examples) can't take any AP courses or Honors courses. im a soph, and i dont think i can get any Honors next year(cos my eng teacher thinks my eng is not good enough) and im already gonna take 2 science(bio and chem) at the same time next year, so i cant take Honors. and i also cant do tat for math. is it possible to get into a good college?
Well one thing, if you're MVP of your sports team and are very noticeable on your sports team, that will be one very good thing for you to enter any school. They'd like to have an athlete make them more noticeable too. As for SAT and TOEFL scores... i don't know what the standardized scores are anymore... so I can't determine if that's good or bad. But it does certainly help... for instance, if your class ranking isn't so good, because u messed up on a class and it pulled you down. This score will help you look good because they can say wow look at that, the test says good but their ranking is lower because of some hardship during school in that period or whatever... and as for AP classes, it's not a necessary thing to do, but it's something you should consider doing because it does show the schools u are applying to that you are trying to excel at the academic level by taking college level classes.

I don't think the transfering of school will affect her negatively if her scores were always constant. like if she didn't drop from 3.8 to 2.10 then it is still good. for one thing, the goods and bads of an international student. some schools LOVE international students because that means they have to pay for full tuition... meaning the school doesn't provide financial aid and etc. and the student comes to the school paying for full tuition and possibly dorming too... although, that international student may be coming to the school with their scholarship, but the school still gets everything so it's all positive.

however, the negative can also be... they do a comparison of is this student who is international, any better than the person that is domestic? because if they bring an international student into their institution, they will have to deal with legal paperworks and such like visas and sometimes providing permits, it can be a hassle and the domestic candidate will outweigh the international candidate. it is a hit or miss though... and it is up to the person reading the application. but as an international student, if your grades are good and you can provide good recommendations and references, and u live in the united states... definitely go and get an interview, talk to a faculty and ask them to recommend u. YES, this is possible.

ok, i've wrote a novel, hope that helps u 2 a lil. and if you have more questions just ask and i'll come back to check this thread back out.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Yes it's possible, it's even more possible if you impress them in the interview. Since your an international student they might be lenient on that, but of course you have to impress them in some way and let that stand out somehow ^__^; but for a student in the states or that has been in the states they'd probably have to have what I listed numerous ap classes, clubs, sports, rec, and etc.

preawXXsornram

sarNie Fansubber
noungning and KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

thank you so much for the advice. :D i asked my guidance counsellor and she said i was too young to think about college so i had no where to go for advice and i was so depressed for the past few days, i thought i wasnt gonna get into college for sure since im KNOW im not gonna take AP/honors classes. lol. and my bro got accepted into penn state U! so i guess i DO have a chance of getting into a college.

true about the tuition thing. im gonna study in a public sch next year, but i have to pay full tuition for 1 year until my parents get a green card or a business visa.

thanks again..cheered me up so much^_^

Liberty

sarNie Adult
yep GPA isn't everything. I knew this girl who had the same GPA as I did during high school, she didn't get into a school she wanted to get into because she took less AP courses than I did and I barely got accepted. The only reason I even got accepted was because I had a great GPA, I took tons of AP courses, I had community college classes at night, I was in several groups such as NHS, Key Club, Academic Decathlon, with tons of other academic teams and such >.O. I miss high school x3 LOL

that was totally otopic lol
I was like you in high school. I took as much classes as I could while I was in jr. high to get high school credit. The summer before I started high school I went to see the lady that would be my guidance counselor and told her that I wanted to finish high school within 3 years, 2 if possible and she worked out a plan for me. I think I had about 8 classes a day, the way my school was was a little strange, they tried the 4 classes per term that lasted an hour or so and equalled out to 8 classes a year. Then the switched it to 8 classes all year round for 45 mins. I don't know but I was getting in more than 8 classes a school year that's for sure. I took all of my classes AP as soon as I got to high school (well any classes that was offered in AP). I was also in 3 clubs and NHS, in the school choir and played soccer, on top of pulling off a part time job. I wanted to take art classes too but couldn't fit it into my schedule so I did artwork for one of my teammates who was taking art. Turned out the work I did for her was featured at the local art musuem and not to longer after it was sold. I signed up for all the AP tests that was offered so that I could get as much of my college credit out of the way as I could.

But if I could do it again, I would cut back on things and enjoyed my time there more. I missed out on most of my childhood because I was so busy doing everything. I missed out on quality times with my friends, so many dances, I even missed out on the prom. :( I wasn't even thinking about going to an ivy league school, I just wanted to make sure that I did my best to be able to get into almost any school I wanted. I had planned to go to an art school in New York (later on I changed my mind on that obviously).

noungning and KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

thank you so much for the advice. :D i asked my guidance counsellor and she said i was too young to think about college so i had no where to go for advice and i was so depressed for the past few days, i thought i wasnt gonna get into college for sure since im KNOW im not gonna take AP/honors classes. lol. and my bro got accepted into penn state U! so i guess i DO have a chance of getting into a college.

true about the tuition thing. im gonna study in a public sch next year, but i have to pay full tuition for 1 year until my parents get a green card or a business visa.

thanks again..cheered me up so much^_^
That's strange that your guidance counselor would tell you that you're too young if you're a sophmore.
Most people want their students to think about college as soon as they get into high school, 4 years go by fast.
Sucks that you can't take honors or AP classes though, that would've really helped. I don't know how it works for international students but I just figured to be able to get in any AP or honors classes they'd at least let you take some kind of test to see if you can handle it.
Good luck though.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I was like you in high school. I took as much classes as I could while I was in jr. high to get high school credit. The summer before I started high school I went to see the lady that would be my guidance counselor and told her that I wanted to finish high school within 3 years, 2 if possible and she worked out a plan for me. I think I had about 8 classes a day, the way my school was was a little strange, they tried the 4 classes per term that lasted an hour or so and equalled out to 8 classes a year. Then the switched it to 8 classes all year round for 45 mins. I don't know but I was getting in more than 8 classes a school year that's for sure. I took all of my classes AP as soon as I got to high school (well any classes that was offered in AP). I was also in 3 clubs, in the school choir and played soccer, on top of pulling off a part time job. I wanted to take art classes too but couldn't fit it into my schedule so I did artwork for one of my teammates who was taking art. Turned out the work I did for her was featured at the local art musuem and not to longer after it was sold. I signed up for all the AP tests that was offered so that I could get as much of my college credit out of the way as I could.

But if I could do it again, I would cut back on things and enjoyed my time there more. I missed out on most of my childhood because I was so busy doing everything. I missed out on quality times with my friends, so many dances, I even missed out on the prom. :( I wasn't even thinking about going to an ivy league school, I just wanted to make sure that I did my best to be able to get into almost any school I wanted. I had planned to go to an art school in New York (later on I changed my mind on that obviously).
That's strange that your guidance counselor would tell you that you're too young if you're a sophmore.
Most people want their students to think about college as soon as they get into high school, 4 years go by fast.
Sucks that you can't take honors or AP classes though, that would've really helped. I don't know how it works for international students but I just figured to be able to get in any AP or honors classes they'd at least let you take some kind of test to see if you can handle it.
Good luck though.
Awws it's ok the thing with me is that all I had was school. My parents were really strict on me in high school and didn't allow me much activities if it meant me coming home late. With night school at the CC they didn't mind because I had an older relative that went there and took care of me (sad). I had some space for extra activities like Art and So Forth cause I took some core classes like math during the summer and got credit for it. So by the time the school year rolled around I had space for some stuff like Art, but I took something else LOL like Ap Psychology LOL. I didn't go to my prom! LOL because I didn't believe in it. I wanted to go to be with my friends, but my friends didn't want to go because there was some drama between them and other girls. Also there were also bad stuff spreading around about me. People made bets on how many guys I'm gonna sleep with on Prom night :( because they heard "asian girls are wild" and I was the only asian girl at school. I don't regret missing prom because I was with all my best friends ^__^ and we had a blast. We went to red lobster across from this olive garden and had our own party. The people who went to prom were at the olive garden ended up coming over to us lol instead of the after party.

I agree strange that your guidance counselor would tell you that you're to young to think about college. They started preparing me since freshmen year for college. At my high school you could take no more than 3 AP courses though, but if your parents signed a paper saying its ok for you to do so then they would allow you to. I'm not sure about you though your school may be a little difficult than mines is. The Ap courses helped me a lot. It allowed me to get into various types of programs and so forth that covered most or all of my tuition and also gave me money back to spend every semester >.O. You might want to talk to your counselor again. Lol tell him/her to quit being lazy and sign you up for it! Ap classes will really prepare you for college. It prepared me for college.

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
back to topic its true she never went to school in US she only went to a american style school in bangkok ISB

preawXXsornram

sarNie Fansubber
i wished my parents sent me here since middle school. i envy you guys, u guys planned everything since middle sch. im so clueless about the american educational system(cos i came from singapore, and they use the british system). i wished my school life is better than this. im so mad tat they sent me here so late...plus,the first high sch i went made me take ESL(english as a second language) class...so i wasted one whole year, since im kinda fluent in eng. i mean, i studied eng since i was 2(just tat i suck.lol)

one more question. does colleges know whether ur sch is a good or abad sch? or they just look at the GPA and SAT scores. i mean, wouldnt it be better if i go to a weaker(in academics) sch, but get a good GPA and focuse on SAT rather than spending time trying to maintain a good GPA in a "stronger" sch plus no time to practice SAT. im just wondering, cos im gonna transfer to a better sch...but my GPA now is only 3.5 and i dun wan it to get any lower than tat. the first sch(the ESL one) i got like 3.9 .do you think it'll look bad? if freshman year it's 3.9, then soph 3.5 then junior like 3.1 or something.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
i wished my parents sent me here since middle school. i envy you guys, u guys planned everything since middle sch. im so clueless about the american educational system(cos i came from singapore, and they use the british system). i wished my school life is better than this. im so mad tat they sent me here so late...plus,the first high sch i went made me take ESL(english as a second language) class...so i wasted one whole year, since im kinda fluent in eng. i mean, i studied eng since i was 2(just tat i suck.lol)

one more question. does colleges know whether ur sch is a good or abad sch? or they just look at the GPA and SAT scores. i mean, wouldnt it be better if i go to a weaker(in academics) sch, but get a good GPA and focuse on SAT rather than spending time trying to maintain a good GPA in a "stronger" sch plus no time to practice SAT. im just wondering, cos im gonna transfer to a better sch...but my GPA now is only 3.5 and i dun wan it to get any lower than tat. the first sch(the ESL one) i got like 3.9 .do you think it'll look bad? if freshman year it's 3.9, then soph 3.5 then junior like 3.1 or something.
Aww it's ok things will eventually work out if you want it to. Actually there is a way to tell. I don't know about other places but in my area our schools have a ranked system and we have to take a test called the "TAKS" test. This test determines the exit level of all the students and the overall rank of the school. IF your school is below the mark they set for average students then it goes into "AYP" and so when colleges see that it's hard to accept you as a good student or whatevers. My sister had to move school because her school fell into AYP. This is the schools last year to pull up their scores or they would have to shut the institution down. I was also told that if my sister stayed at the school even if she would have became Valedictorian it's highly unlikely that a good school would take her application into consideration over someone who went to a more challenging school. My sister was well on her way to being Valedictorian of that school >.O but she had to move. It kind of made me angry thought because the school had good teachers, but the TAKS test was the line I guess. It's also kind of dumb because some of the more smarter kids can score low on that exam also. Why? because that test is so easy. It's so easy that someone in the AP level might over think the answer choices and might make it to complicated for them self causing them to score low.

preawXXsornram

sarNie Fansubber
Aww it's ok things will eventually work out if you want it to. Actually there is a way to tell. I don't know about other places but in my area our schools have a ranked system and we have to take a test called the "TAKS" test. This test determines the exit level of all the students and the overall rank of the school. IF your school is below the mark they set for average students then it goes into "AYP" and so when colleges see that it's hard to accept you as a good student or whatevers. My sister had to move school because her school fell into AYP. This is the schools last year to pull up their scores or they would have to shut the institution down. I was also told that if my sister stayed at the school even if she would have became Valedictorian it's highly unlikely that a good school would take her application into consideration over someone who went to a more challenging school. My sister was well on her way to being Valedictorian of that school >.O but she had to move. It kind of made me angry thought because the school had good teachers, but the TAKS test was the line I guess. It's also kind of dumb because some of the more smarter kids can score low on that exam also. Why? because that test is so easy. It's so easy that someone in the AP level might over think the answer choices and might make it to complicated for them self causing them to score low.
i was gnna edit my post but yu replied first.LOL. i ws gonna say tat i cant take honors next year, cos im trying to skip a year of math over the summer to TRY for AP cal. and im gonna take bio and chem t the same time so tht i can take physics in my senior year. if not, i have only bio and chem, and i think i need my physics and chem for college. so i need to get all 3 of them cos my sch requires bio to graduate(i hate tat subject)lol.

i dont think there's such ranking in my area. i wish there is though. cos i heard tat it's a really good sch. LOL. i did once, i failed a math test cos i kept on thinking so hard about why it was so easy and then i didnt trust myself so i put in other answers.lol.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
They have that here too, those damn standardize tests are ridiculous.
Schools place some much emphasis on that test alone just so that they can keep their place academically that they take the focus off of giving the students a real education.
Any school can train their students to know how to answer or choose the right answers on those tests but do they actually learn anything? Most likely not.
I think they should get rid of it and while they're at it get rid of that stupid No Children Left Behind Act (it's the reason why many schools lower their education standards. They can't get enough of their students to do better so they lower the standards to cover more students. Better test scores equals money for their district.).

Anyway, I think you can google to find out if the ranking system applies to your state. If it does you don't really have to worry about it unless your school falls into 'AYP' like KhoOnxNouxWanxJai said. Even then it's not really necessary to switch to a better school, it just means it'll be easier to maintain a higher GPA and give you more time to study and focus on your SAT scores (which matters slightly more than GPA).

preawXXsornram

sarNie Fansubber
LOL. thank you Liberty for your advice. we used to have it in Singapore. but those rankig were not ridiculous like this one. cos every school hae to take a national standardized test(british O levels and A levels) anyway, so they ranked using those MAJOR exam scores...so you have to study the things in it anyway.