Kor Phan Sar

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
I was wondering if anyone is doing something special for 2008 Kor Phan Sar... For me... No meat until it end....

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
kow pansa...hmm. all i know is that monks can't leave the temple grounds for unpurposeful reasons. They should be meditating and keeping modest. But in America, I don't think that exists.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
In Florida, we celebrate it at the temple. We celebrate it when iit begins and when it ends. In my family, we just do a lot of praying and tuk bhat.

Athena

sarNie Juvenile
Its Buddhist Lent.
For the 3 months you can give up 1 thing and try to stick with it.
My parents want me to stop drinking for that time period.
I told them that can not be done.
But I can drink moderately.
They just shook their heads at me. And than my mom would say, "she's just like
her father". :p

Liberty

sarNie Adult
kow pansa...hmm. all i know is that monks can't leave the temple grounds for unpurposeful reasons. They should be meditating and keeping modest. But in America, I don't think that exists.
It does. The monks I know live out in the middle of the woods, if that's not dedication I don't know what is.
My dad was the one that help clear shrubs in that area and designed and help build them a modest temple. They don't really go anywhere unless it's necessary, and when they do they need someone to take them, someone in the community. These monks don't have their own cars, I'm not even sure if they can drive.
I remember when we drove to Florida from Texas, my dad took one of the first monks to be transferred to our small town temple with us. I think he had some sort of monk convention (he could've gone by other means but went with us instead) but I don't think he slept the whole ride, he stayed seated in indian style the whole time(3-4 days). He got up only to use the bathroom and I don't think I saw him eat anything, he only drank water and Dr. Pepper. :huh:

Anyway, I don't practice lent of any religion though because I'm Agnostic, but some members of my family do (the Buddhist ones).
Besides I wouldn't know what to give up, I don't really indulge on anything. I don't drink, smoke, curse (well I curse sometimes, only when I'm really ticked off) and I rarely eat meat. So...the only thing left is chocolate, chapstick or books. I'll be damn if I have to give up reading for 3 months.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
that's cool that the monks where you live, live out in the woods. that way you can do all sorts of festivals without getting the cops called on you. Here, the neighbors aren't so nice, so all the adults freak out about throwing big festivals and partying on temple grounds, even though we have a kitchen with a mini hall.

and where i live, we don't have any monks straight from Laos and with a degree in it anymore. Now we have two monks who just went into monkhood a couple years ago and causing so much drama, but with new immigration laws, it's so hard to find somebody who actually wants to come to our temple to stay. the two here are always making up excuses to get the other monks off the grounds because they want to be the abbot.