Help!! Car accident-- car insurance info?

starryXing*

sarNie Adult
I hope someone can help me or throw a few leads at me.

My brother got my car into an accident about a month ago. Stupidly enough, even though the cops were called, somehow-- no one was able to get the insurance information for the other car. It's not on the police report at all and since the owner wasn't actually driving at the time, no insurance information was provided.

I called my insurance guy who couldn't find out anything for me. My insurance says I have to file a claim with insurance company of the owner of the car because they were at fault-- but I don't have any of that information!!

I have been repeatedly calling the other party and of course, no one is calling me back to give me their insurance information.

All I have is a "tentative" name of the owner (as stated by the driver of the car), the car license plate, the owner's phone number and an address for the owner. I really need to get car insurance information for the other party...

Any clue on what I can do? Is there a site online where I can buy that car insurance information based on the information I have? Should I hire a private investigator and can they get me that information?

Please help me!!!! :wavecry:

Reagan

sarNie Adult
If i was you I'd go to the owners house and discuss it with them, but depends on who they are and if your in the ghetto lol, might be dangerous =)

tye-niranh

sarNie Adult
Man, this is going to be a tough one. I still can't believe the police didn't get the other person's insurance info!!!! Yeah, try going over to the other person's house. Don't go alone though. Might not be safe. He'll have a hard time avoiding you then.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
first go bust the cop that can't properly document the information. second, go the the individual's house with another person with you, and bring a tape recorder or a video camera and a notepad to take down information. but have some documentation on what happened that day.

ur insurance isn't pursuing the situation? do u have a one-way coverage and not full coverage? if u have full coverage, u better get on ur insurance agency's case. did u report the accident within 24 hrs to ur insurance agency? if so, it's their responsibility to pursue the other party for u. that's what u pay for if u got full coverage.

jekki2chipo

sarNie Hatchling
You should get a lawyer, that would help.

if not.

You could file a UM (uninsured motorist claim) with your insurance, if you have that on your policy.

First:
Get a copy of the police report, if one was taken.

If you should file an SR-1 which is a traffic accident report with the DMV.

If insurance is not written down on the report, then you would file a SR-19C which is request for Uninsured Motorist Certificate stating that the driver is uninsured. Cost is $20.00.

Then wait till you get that then, mail a copy to your insurance company.

PM me if you need more help.

By the way I work for a lawyer. I handle these type of cases all the time.

starryXing*

sarNie Adult
Hey Chor~

But my insurance told me that I need to file with the owner of the other car, not the driver. (The driver was a sixteen year old friend of the sister of the car's owner.) I'm not sure if she was insured or not at the time of the accident. I'm having so many problems with trying to file a claim with the owner's insurance cause I'm not sure whether the car was insured or if so with who. The police report kind of states "State Farm"-- but nothing else. I have State Farm Insurance too, but my agent says he doesn't have access to anyone else's database and even so, he can't search by license plate numbers. I don't even have the full name of the owner, so I'm stuck here too.

I only have liabiliity coverage-- so my agent's not helping me out. Even so-- I pay $800 bucks every six months to State Farm for my coverage and have had a decent driving record over the last couple of years. You would think that he would somehow at least give me some tips on how to proceed with my situation, but no. I think I'm gonna switch out of my State Farm agent to something else with this sucky level of service that I get.

jekki2chipo

sarNie Hatchling
Hmm, that is interesting, yeah you would need to file the claim against the owner of the car. Let's see you could always get the DMV to file paperwork on your behalf.

Umm, you don't have the policy on State Farm from the other driver?

Even if you don't have the full name you should at least have the policy number. If not then you should get a lawyer to help out, I mean lawyers who handle Auto Accidents, usually you only pay when you settle the claim.

Don't talk to your agent, talk to the adjuster of the claim. Your agent can't do crap, they just sell the insurance policies.

Umm, let's see what does the Police Report state under insurance for the other driver.

Owner of Car?
Insurance Carrier?
Insurance Policy Number?

Then after that, you would contact State Farm to report a claim, if one isn't already filed.

It's also depends on how much damage the car sustained?
If the damage isn't over a certain amount, then most times, people don't report it.

File with the DMV the SR-19c, which would ask for the owner to provide insurance information cause everyone is required to have their car insured regardless.

I can't help you much, if i don't have the paperwork in front of me. Let me know if you need help, PM ME it's faster.

Kkrystal

สุภาพบุรุษจุฑาเทพ
First agenda grab yourself a lawyer. In an accident you should always have a lawyer. Insurance will pay for all the expenses such as going to a chiropractor. Since you did many attempt of calling the person up and yet they haven't contact you back. Make sure you tell your lawyer about this and everything else. He or she will deal it for you. You shouldn't have to run around doing things yourself.

If you want to know the full name of the owner. You should go to the police station with a copy of the accident report and report that policeman for not providing full information for you. Then asks them to get it for you. They can run a check on the license plate. Their system is connected to the RMV. They can find out the name of the owner of the car down to the owner address. Make sure you mail all information to the lawyer.

Your insurance agency doesn't seem like they are helping much. Threaten them if they can't help say you'll call the main insurance. They're only an agency if the main insurance finds out they will get penalize.

natty

Chubs
i had this problem before.. i took them to small claim court because they wouldnt give me their insurance number but luckily i had a police report to go by.... the judge was very annoyed that it had to come to court when all the other one had to do was give me his insurance.. so i got his insurance and began the claim process.. his insurance was really stupid.. they said he was no longer insured with them so i asked them to send me a written letter stating that and i took him to small claim court for the second time.. as it turns out he was insured but since i had the written letter from them, i won the case...

starryXing*

sarNie Adult
natty said:
i had this problem before.. i took them to small claim court because they wouldnt give me their insurance number but luckily i had a police report to go by.... the judge was very annoyed that it had to come to court when all the other one had to do was give me his insurance.. so i got his insurance and began the claim process.. his insurance was really stupid.. they said he was no longer insured with them so i asked them to send me a written letter stating that and i took him to small claim court for the second time.. as it turns out he was insured but since i had the written letter from them, i won the case...
[post="111284"][/post]​
I was considering taking them to small claims court. Do I have to go pay and get my car fixed before I can file or claim or do just need to take it into the shop and get an estimate of how much it will cost me?

Natty or Chor-Moua~ Do you guys think the judge will yell at me since I let my brother drive my car (to a school dance) when he was uninsured? My car is insured under my name though.
He hasn't been driving that long yet and my parent's didn't add him their plan yet when he got into the accident.
According to the police report-- he's not at faullt though and the other car got a citation from the accident.

No one was hurt-- my car just lost the whole front bumper and headlights/signal lights.

Jean

sarNie Juvenile
I work at State Farm, and yeah if you want to file a claim you have to file it with the other party's insurance co. There should be a policy# listed on the police report and you should be able to figure out the agent's name and number. I wish I could help you out more, but I don't deal with the claims.

babylakorn

sarNie Egg
1 I would call the cop who was in charge of the case
2. get the infos on the person who was driving the car since he was at fault
3. if none then the one that was driving the car should pay for the damages
4. get infos of the car like policy # of insurance
5. Talk to cop again and get charges on the driver at fault
6. ASK cop what you should do.

natty

Chubs
starryXing* said:
I was considering taking them to small claims court. Do I have to go pay and get my car fixed before I can file or claim or do just need to take it into the shop and get an estimate of how much it will cost me?

Natty or Chor-Moua~ Do you guys think the judge will yell at me since I let my brother drive my car (to a school dance) when he was uninsured? My car is insured under my name though.
He hasn't been driving that long yet and my parent's didn't add him their plan yet when he got into the accident.
According to the police report-- he's not at faullt though and the other car got a citation from the accident.

No one was hurt-- my car just lost the whole front bumper and headlights/signal lights.
[post="111377"][/post]​

lol starryxing.. most likely the judge will give you a lecture about allowing a uninsured minor to drive your car.. does he have a dl? if so then it wont be as bad.. when i got into the accident it wasnt even me that drove.. but my ex and he was not on the policy..

chor will be able to tell you more.. little miss expert.. :p

iamnowhere

sarNie Adult
Sorry to hear (read) about your troubles. I know how everyone panics and forget what to do in such a situation. At least think of it this way.... you're not hurt and no one else is, and it's just a car. It can be fixed. Hope everything work else for you.

And damn State Farmer Insurance!!!! some neighbor......

jekki2chipo

sarNie Hatchling
natty said:
lol starryxing.. most likely the judge will give you a lecture about allowing a uninsured minor to drive your car.. does he have a dl? if so then it wont be as bad.. when i got into the accident it wasnt even me that drove.. but my ex and he was not on the policy..

chor will be able to tell you more.. little miss expert.. :p
[post="111467"][/post]​

umm, i don't think the judge will yell at you, as long as he's has a license it won't be too bad, i mean you not suppose to let a minor drive without the presence of an adult, but he could drive by himself from what i was told.

umm filing a small claims isn't really worth it, if the damages are less that 2,000 cause with all the court fees these days you won't be getting much.

Best thing to do is make a report with the police dept.
They will assign an detective to get the insurance information. Call every week, cause PD are sucky at following up and getting back, trust me I know.

After that get the report, with the additional information.

Make sure you already filed a SR-1 with the DMV and also SR-19C so the DMV could investgiate if the driver had insurance or not.

After that give your info to your adjuster not agent to handle.

If your adjuster isn't doing crap, get a lawyer.

That's all i could say.

natty

Chubs
well it depends on where you live too.. like in nyc most people go to small claim court.. the fee i think is like $75 or something like that dont quite remember... it was many years ago.. but anyways i made sure i add all those fees into it.. there's no lawyer fees too.. but anyways.. i filed for $1375 and that was how much i was rewarded... and that's how much i pocket...