Don't think that you're a God or Goddess when you're in Laos

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
Just wanted to let you know for those of us who has never been and is taking a trip there for the first time. My tip for you see to try to blend in with the crowd as much as possible. You get better deals on items down at the local market. LOll and another thing is just respect the Lao people there. Not all of them are dirt poor. Some of them may have more money than you do. The only reason you see dirt poor is from discovery channels and abroad news. That's because we don't have Lao dramas yet. Just like in the Thai movies. You always see them rich in the tv dramas because they're trying to bring their image up. But you know it's really not like that.

Just by reading some of the thread here alot of people seem to say ignorant things. Please don't taint the Laotian American image. We're suppose to be smart and educated right? But howcome we say or assume things that don't require much thought at all.

Just because we come from a more develop place doesn't make us any better than they are. You can lie about anything but you know deep down inside what you're heritage is. Lao heritage and the language is very unique. Alot of foreigners would die to have a custom like ours. Why are you ashamed? I feel so sad for you.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I've never been there myself but I just assumed Lao Americans who go there would act normal, I don't see why anyone would act above the people there simply because they come from a different background. I know I wouldn't because some of those people there are my family, many of my mom and dad's cousins and distant relatives still live there. Showing respect should come as second nature because that's how you'd treat family. Normally Lao people from the states go there to visit relatives.

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
I've just seen alot of people act like a real badass when they to Laos. So just thought I would post some tips. Incase they run by and see this thread. ^_^

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I've just seen alot of people act like a real badass when they to Laos. So just thought I would post some tips. Incase they run by and see this thread. ^_^
lol...I'd just let them dream on let them get their ass kicked when they get there. But that's just me. :p

ling

sarNie Hatchling
I've always wondered about this. I mean I hear so many stories about people going there and acting all mucho and looking like they have all this money and stuff and then when they come back, they get sick or months later they die. That is freaky stuff.
I one day would love to visit Laos because I still have family there but I get so afraid to go. Because i did hear too that if someone wants something of yours they can do some kind of "voodoo" on you even if you don't do anything to them. That's what i'm afraid of. I'm afraid I'll say the wrong thing or do something and then someone misinterpret that the wrong way.
It's crazy. But I still hope to go someday. What I really want to do is just go shopping and eat all those yummy food! LOL

I know I don't have everything here! God knows that...so i wouldn't put anyone else down...doesn't matter if they got more or not..it's their personality that counts. We all work hard for what we have.. No one is higher then the other!

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I've always wondered about this. I mean I hear so many stories about people going there and acting all mucho and looking like they have all this money and stuff and then when they come back, they get sick or months later they die. That is freaky stuff.
I one day would love to visit Laos because I still have family there but I get so afraid to go. Because i did hear too that if someone wants something of yours they can do some kind of "voodoo" on you even if you don't do anything to them. That's what i'm afraid of. I'm afraid I'll say the wrong thing or do something and then someone misinterpret that the wrong way.
It's crazy. But I still hope to go someday. What I really want to do is just go shopping and eat all those yummy food! LOL

I know I don't have everything here! God knows that...so i wouldn't put anyone else down...doesn't matter if they got more or not..it's their personality that counts. We all work hard for what we have.. No one is higher then the other!
I hear ya, it's all about shopping and food for me. :p
I don't think you have to worry about the "voodoo" stuff, that stuff only applies if you believe in it (voodoo's actually an African thing).

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult

If you go back to Laos and act like a badass ... They gonna put witchcraft on you ... I wouldn't be surprise if you live no more than a year in the US after returning from Laos ... I heard and seen a lot of Lao OG that die/gonna sick after returning to US from Laos ... and yea, those Lao OG seem to talk a lot of shiet ... btw, not just Lao OG ... Hmong OG as well ...

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult

oppz click add reply 2 times ... anyways, just wanna add ... Lao people in Laos will treat Oversea Lao more differently ... I don't know why but they tend to think all Lao oversea (US, Canada, Australia) have money ... but they don't know the struggle that we (oversea Lao) goes through day by day ...

Liberty

sarNie Adult

oppz click add reply 2 times ... anyways, just wanna add ... Lao people in Laos will treat Oversea Lao more differently ... I don't know why but they tend to think all Lao oversea (US, Canada, Australia) have money ... but they don't know the struggle that we (oversea Lao) goes through day by day ...
So true. My dad has relatives that write to him asking for money like we have so much of it.
I know they're living harder over there but my dad has to take care of his family first.

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
Yes, I've heard of that witchcraft thing from one of the girls that lives in my town. She heard I was going to Laos and so she told me about the reason for her dad's death. She said her dad boasted to much that's what got him killed and explain all of those vodoo stuff to me. So when I went to Laos the next month. I was sure to be on my best behavior ^_^

Nothing happened to me of course and it was very fun there. I didn't want to come back to the states!!!

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Yes, I've heard of that witchcraft thing from one of the girls that lives in my town. She heard I was going to Laos and so she told me about the reason for her dad's death. She said her dad boasted to much that's what got him killed and explain all of those vodoo stuff to me. So when I went to Laos the next month. I was sure to be on my best behavior ^_^

Nothing happened to me of course and it was very fun there. I didn't want to come back to the states!!!
You sure it wasn't just an illness gone untreated.
I've studied the occult for several years and even now, I still don't believe it can do any real physical harm to anyone.

CTR

The Realist guy here period

Personally, I don't believe in those stuff. B) How are people or foreign going to take our country seriously if we still believe in these sort of stuff? You just need to let science take it course. Going to the doctor for regular check up is a good idea. What I have noticed is that our people don't trust the doctor because they think the doctor will find something in them and cheat them out of their money. Most of the Lao elders tend to find help in unconventional methods of healing. In addition, you have to check what you're eating, what you're drinking, and get some booster shots before you go to Laos. I did that and I was find. I drank only from bottle water because I did not want to get sick. It is not because I think I am better than the people over there but for health concerns. We from the U.S. are not used to that environment.

As for the behaving normal part, everyone should behave normal and treat everyone with respect. I think all of our parents have taught us this since birth. Respect your elders and give respect to everyone. Well, that was how I was bought up I guess.

As for witchcraft. If you're Buddhist then you should ask buddha to protect you. If you are Christian then you should ask GOD to protect you. ETC. B)

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
True. But I'm not going to say that witchcraft doesn't exist. I'll just be 50/50 on that. Remember what the old saying is "Bor seua ya lope loo" something like "it's okay that you don't believe it;however, just respect it" lolll i don't know if i'm saying that right. Anyhow........I'm sure in the more civilized cities of Laos they don't believe much of that stuff anymore. Mostly if you go in the outskirts (tribal villages) they probably still believe that. Anyhow nothing wrong with it. I respect their belief.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
True. But I'm not going to say that witchcraft doesn't exist. I'll just be 50/50 on that. Remember what the old saying is "Bor seua ya lope loo" something like "it's okay that you don't believe it;however, just respect it" lolll i don't know if i'm saying that right. Anyhow........I'm sure in the more civilized cities of Laos they don't believe much of that stuff anymore. Mostly if you go in the outskirts (tribal villages) they probably still believe that. Anyhow nothing wrong with it. I respect their belief.
I respect their beliefs as well, that's why I studied the occult, not just in Eastern form but in Western form as well. I don't pratice it but I'm apart of a big pagan community. I'm a believer but I'm also a skeptic. There's nothing wrong with believing the old ways but believing it completely without trying to find a more scientific reason can result in death, a death that could've been prevented if that person had just gone to see a doctor. But I also believe there are things that even science can't explain.

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult

'Bor Seua Ya lop Loo' is 'If you don't believe it, don't doubt it.' As for me .. I believe it .. shoo I seen it cus where my parents live .. they have those kind of people that knows it. My uncle (mom younger brother) is a bone healer ... basically if you have broken bone .. he can heal it and you be walking or using your broken arm/hand in no time. Believe it or not ... its up to ya but personally ... i seen it myself.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
You gotta also understand that not all witchcraft is bad. People who practice the craft typically have more respect for the environment, which is good. If more people were like that our environment wouldn't be in the state it is today.

Anyway...my grandpa use to be a healer too. I've always wondered why our family rarely ever got sick. Then he went and converted to Christianity, he no longer believes or practice that stuff.

CTR

The Realist guy here period
You gotta also understand that not all witchcraft is bad. People who practice the craft typically have more respect for the environment, which is good. If more people were like that our environment wouldn't be in the state it is today.

Anyway...my grandpa use to be a healer too. I've always wondered why our family rarely ever got sick. Then he went and converted to Christianity, he no longer believes or practice that stuff.

Same thing here Liberty. He no longer practice it because he knows there is someone who is more powerful than that. My dad did the same thing before he converted. I have attended an exorcism recently with my pastor just last month I think.

ling

sarNie Hatchling
I do kinda believe that it still goes on without us knowing it.. I've seen some people come back and get sick right away and eventually they die within months or weeks of being back home and most of em will be the ones who like to talk shit! I've also heard of some going crazy after being back. Running around naked and stuff. Freaky stuff! I believe theres a lot of em out there who still practice that stuff. I'm leaving it all to science i guess. I won't say i don't believe and i won't say i do truly believe it all either. If that even makes sense!
I know of a guy who went there a few years ago and got a wife from there and when he came back he was always having stomach pain so he went to the hospital like after 3 months of having these pains. So anyways they found some worms in his stomach. He came home and he had to go see some kind of "moa lao" (lao doc) ones who specializes in "witchcraft" and they did a whole bunch of stuff on him. Guess he is fine now. He looks fine now. First his family thought it was the wife who wanted him to die so she could get his stuff.
I'm saying this is very dangerous territory. If you go someone that you don't know of anyone or stuff, you better best be respecting the way they live. You never know what they are capable of.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Same thing here Liberty. He no longer practice it because he knows there is someone who is more powerful than that. My dad did the same thing before he converted. I have attended an exorcism recently with my pastor just last month I think.
It's a pity though, my grandpa was so much cooler when he was a Buddhist. :p
Now he's just so...vanilla, still a great grandpa, just vanilla.
So, what was the exorcism like?

I do kinda believe that it still goes on without us knowing it.. I've seen some people come back and get sick right away and eventually they die within months or weeks of being back home and most of em will be the ones who like to talk shit! I've also heard of some going crazy after being back. Running around naked and stuff. Freaky stuff! I believe theres a lot of em out there who still practice that stuff. I'm leaving it all to science i guess. I won't say i don't believe and i won't say i do truly believe it all either. If that even makes sense!
I know of a guy who went there a few years ago and got a wife from there and when he came back he was always having stomach pain so he went to the hospital like after 3 months of having these pains. So anyways they found some worms in his stomach. He came home and he had to go see some kind of "moa lao" (lao doc) ones who specializes in "witchcraft" and they did a whole bunch of stuff on him. Guess he is fine now. He looks fine now. First his family thought it was the wife who wanted him to die so she could get his stuff.
I'm saying this is very dangerous territory. If you go someone that you don't know of anyone or stuff, you better best be respecting the way they live. You never know what they are capable of.
I have a theory and I think it's because these people who talk a lot of BS are probably just being poisoned. Instead of going to see a normal medical doctor they let it go untreated. Shoot, if I go anywhere outside the country where there's a chance I can get sick the first thing I'll do when I get back is a get full check up.
As for the worm thing, if he went to a doctor why didn't they just treat the guy? Instead of him going to a 'witch doctor'?
It's kind of a expected, there are a lot of stuff in less developed countries, heck, you can catch stuff like that in the US in certain regions. I know in the Amazon there's a tiny worm that digs it's way into someone's body. People who get this worm are the ones who typically peed in the river and the worm wiggled it's way in through that entrance.

jenlattana

sarNie Egg
I think we should refrain from saying that one diety is higher than another because some people in here might worship nature and it could be offensive.

We should just respect one another's belief. There is no right or wrong in this world. It's the angle you look at it with. We shouldn't say "your belief is bullshit and mine is the bomb..everyone should follow me" that's what causes war! LOLlllllll

Can we discuss with peace here? LOllllllllll