Do you look laos?

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
What annoys me the most is when I tell a fellow non-Laotian Asian that I'm Laotian, they go "What's that??" Everytime I hear this, I am literally dumbfounded by the ignorance that came from that person's mouth. I would expect that from a non-Asian, not from a fellow Asian. I'm sorry, but as an Asian.. how could you not know what Laotian is or where Laos is? The least they could do is... not ask me "What's that?" Hello, you dumbass... it's an ethinicity! It's a country in South-East Asia! Landlocked amongst Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia!!!!!!!

Excuse my hostility... this is quite a good place to vent, and it's quite therapuetic. Thanks.

lady0fdarkness

Oh.. and to answer the question, I think I look Laotian, but many others think I look Filipino. Which doesn't really bother me at all. I have already given up trying to explain where Laos is and what Laotian is.

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
Ppl always think I'm chinese. From grade school to college. Funny. B/c even the chinese friends that I first meet think I'm chinese. They're like oh wow, when I tell them I'm Lao. It is ignorant of ppl when they express surprise after you tell them you're not what they think you are. But being lao means being the minority of the minorities. So I don't get offended. At some pts, it becomes repetitve. But then sometimes learning is repetitive. I just see it as educating ignorant ppl. It's not like it's their fault they don't know what's Lao. Eventually, as I grow older and meet more ppl I do find more strangers who are familiar w/ Lao people and Lao culture. But yeah, even if they don't know, instead of asking "what's that" they can ask, "where is that" ? (?) That's a liddo bit more respectful. But this is just all so arbitrary.

judyp

sarNie Adult
well, let's see. i can only think of a handful of people who automatically know that im lao/cambodian because they said i don't look full lao nor full cambodian. i get mistaken a lot for being mexican and i really don't know how. lols. and when i tell them im lao, they're like, "really, are you half? you can pass as half mexican." once in awhile, i'll get filipino.

snluvdrama12

sarNie Egg
I am Khmer but by dad is unsure of his ethnicity (he moved to the city all by his lonesome self when he was young)--so I am definitely half Khmer--I think. We went on a trip to Cambodia last year and in his village the people there speak Lao. My aunt told me my gradparents are Laotian but I told her our last name sounds Khmer to me.

Any who, I do get once in a while "Are you Lao" from fellow Cambodians. I live in a majority Cambodian city--if you are asian of course. I've gotten quite a range from both asians and non-asians. I've been assumed to be hispanic, Indian-mixed, Thai, Chinese, Lao, Korean (only once though--I was in Cambodia), pinay, or khmer-mixed.

I'd be proud to represent all--it really doesn't matter to me. I don't think it is that easy to identify ethnicity.

dek_noy

sarNie Hatchling
Do i look Lao?
I say I do.
BUT whenever randome people see me, they would say and think that I'm chinese!
I got chinky eyes! Hehehe
Also, I get filipina too!
I think that's cus I have ALOT and ALWAYS around Filipinos.
I'm all good with that tho.
I love Filipinos!

lady0fdarkness

LOL.. me to dek noy, I was practically raised around filipinos. I grew up in Hawaii and Hawaii is probably 50% filipino and the other 50 is Japanese and hawaiians.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I've been told all the time that I don't look Laotian.

I've gotten everything from Chinese, half-white, hispanic to Hawaiian or filipino.

I think it's my eyes. I've been told I have caucasian eyes. I also have a small nose, not flat, just small and narrow.

But I got the cheekbones and lips of a Laotian. lol Thankfully I also got the curves.

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
i think its gay how peeps comes up to u and ask ur country..i'll be like thai land...n they'll be like u don't look thai u look chinese...some say korean which i think its stupid...probable they haven't heard of hmongland...:)...:lol:...