[Ch3] Bpoop Phaeh Saniwaat (Broadcast Thai) : Pope Thanawat / Bella Ranee

Rachfull

sarNie Oldmaid
Thanavat is first and Vatthanaputi is last name. I think because Thai doesn't have letter V in their alphabet, so both V or W sounds the same as W. Whatever you write, his name will still sound Thanawat Wathanaputi. It's why the host in a show (which included Bell, Pope, Pun, Prang) joked about Bella and Weir product Vera, because even it written VERA, it's still pronounced Wera (the combination of Weir and Bella names)
Anyway, that's only my meager knowledge in Thai talking. I hope someone from Thai can clear this for us :thumbup::thumbup:
There is no letter for "v" in Thai. In fact, "v" doesn't exist in a lot of Asian languages, at least that I know of. Because Asians have no "v" sound, they often replace it with a sound they do have-- w. It's mostly another "who's doing the romanization" problem.

My mom taught English in Japan, and she said she had to show the students exactly how we make the v sound because they just couldn't figure it out. She said a lot of their confusion came from Japanese sounds always being made in the back of the throat, so biting your lip to make a sound was unheard of for the students.

It's the same way with r and l, those two letters are interchangeable in many Asian languages (even though Thai has ร (r) and ล (l), which is why they occasionally confuse r's and l's when speaking English.
Hope that makes sense.

When I speak Thai, it's very difficult for me to make the อื (closest romanization would be "eu") sound, because it simply doesn't exist in English. So I do my best with it, but I can't pronounce it perfectly because I just don't know how to make that sound. So it's a universal idea.

Last edited:

Rosi4

Wifey #42
I'm probably not the best person to ask this question because I'm not entirely certain either, so feel free anyone to jump in and correct me.
I'm pretty sure the nicknames are a cultural thing. I think part of it might have to do with the Thai language itself, seeing as Thai people refer to themselves and others by name more often than we do in English. Thai women, for example, refer to themselves by their own name instead of "chan" (I). That's a familiar way of speaking.
I think it's also because Thai names tend to be long, so people go by nicknames.
As for why THOSE particular nicknames, a lot of the same ones get used-- Noona, Lee, Ling, Aum, etc. I'm pretty certain the stars have the weirdest ones to help them stand out (think Barbra Streisand philosophy). Pope used to go by Na (for Thanawat), but changed to Pope when he got older. I don't know how common that nickname is, though.
And finally, why they are English words we would never name our children-- well, anything in another language sounds cool, right? English speakers steal names from other languages all the time.
Anyway, that's my theory. Sorry if I got it wrong, people who actually know the full answer.
Yeah, I saw that - they like to refer to themselves eg "Kade wants to eat dinner with you" like we would simply say "I want to have dinner with you" when talking to a familiar/loved person. I thought it's cute they call out their own names! It shows a trusting, childlike closeness somehow. Because often it's only young children who speaks that way.
Well, thanks, you tried to explain it away the best you know of these Pope, Great, Got names but I guess a real Thai culturally knowledgeable person would know why - @Amata ? @Chario mintmario ?
If only Pope had gone on using Na! Wouldn't that be something? It sounds soft and loveable the name NAAAAA...... But now it's Nadech who people refer to so affectionately when they called him that way. Pope can go by Samee, that is also a nice name hehe

Rosi4

Wifey #42
Give me a Five @Rosi4!! I have the same questions but am too shy to ask :BangHead::BangHead: Wonder how their nick names come about....
If "Pope" is his nick name, wonder which is his last name: Thanavat or Vatthanaputi.
There are also many spellings to Pope's name.... on google, you can find tanavat wattanaputi, tanawat, thanawat etc.... even if they sound similar, wonder which is the actual Thai spelling?
You can accept quite a few of the names but Pancake!! Pancake?? Uhhhh.... Actually his those names also sound nice Thanawat and Vattanaputti. Especially Thanawat, I like it. I don't know though if these are surnames (family name) or just his dad's name. Not all cultures/race carry surnames, they carry their father's name so each generation changes & no continuity with the family name.

Rosi4

Wifey #42
She was just on vacation in SK but she really suited the hanbok
Thanks for the info @SuzieJ , but she seems suited to act that way. Her complexion is so fine it's a cross between Korean and Japanese! Would probably look wonderful in a kimono too. Don't know how Pope would look in the Korean male black hat though - if he happens to be there & dressing up for the camera!

Rosi4

Wifey #42
I'm on a BPS gif making marathon.

I don't remember what happened here. I need to rewatch this awesome lakorn.:icon12:
It's from Episode 4. That day was the first time she met Rheung - she thought it was Rheungrit at first. After they came back on the night ride where she saw the temple by the light of the moon (Reung supplied the lantern), Por Date accused her of being flirtatious & she got so mad she decided to try out the invisibility verse. So when he came looking, she reappeared & pretended to have fainted. She kicked him out of her room & stage whispered that she "won't do it again!". But he heard!! And he thought it was charming, that she is how she is. He had this smile on & I believe he started liking, thinking of her in a good vein. And then he recollected how she (the real Mae Karakade) was; a bully & a horrible bitch to even her own servants Pin & Yam. He didn't like that idea..... how could he ever have entertained that thought - to begin to have a turn of heart for this person.
But then in the newly edited version they added the scenes of how he saw her with Pin & Yam at the baths & she joking about the men looking at them taking their showers. It was a different Mae Karakade he remembered then, they had a good laugh & she was kind. Date is baffled by the different sides of this person today - her servants don't fear her like before, they seem to love her. How is that possible??!
So he goes for a walk down his boardwalk leading to the family pier, deep in thought. And this is the part I love when he's looking so handsome in his purple shirt ......... !!!! arrghhhhhhh

upload_2019-1-9_14-10-49.jpeg

bit

sarNie Adult
Hello everyone, newbie here. I have followed this forum for a long time, ussually lurking around trying to see which lakorn is worth my time.

Glad I was able to catch BPS when it was so famous, for a moment I really thought Thai lakorn has increase their quality standard when watching BPS because main problem with any lakorn are the editing and acting. It started well and will go dowb hill somewhere in the middle. They will surely messed up one of those or both. BPS however manage to dodge that.

Unfortunately the rest of lakorn world is still there.

Anyway I’m happy that BPS is finally released internationally and now I can watch it on the service I subscribe too with official Eng translation. They ussually just put GMM or OneHD drama on it. Or something which had either Push, Esther or Ice Prechaya. It’s great that now BPS is on it too.

maimyang

keep on keepin’ on. ✨
It's from Episode 4. That day was the first time she met Rheung - she thought it was Rheungrit at first. After they came back on the night ride where she saw the temple by the light of the moon (Reung supplied the lantern), Por Date accused her of being flirtatious & she got so mad she decided to try out the invisibility verse. So when he came looking, she reappeared & pretended to have fainted. She kicked him out of her room & stage whispered that she "won't do it again!". But he heard!! And he thought it was charming, that she is how she is. He had this smile on & I believe he started liking, thinking of her in a good vein. And then he recollected how she (the real Mae Karakade) was; a bully & a horrible bitch to even her own servants Pin & Yam. He didn't like that idea..... how could he ever have entertained that thought - to begin to have a turn of heart for this person.
But then in the newly edited version they added the scenes of how he saw her with Pin & Yam at the baths & she joking about the men looking at them taking their showers. It was a different Mae Karakade he remembered then, they had a good laugh & she was kind. Date is baffled by the different sides of this person today - her servants don't fear her like before, they seem to love her. How is that possible??!
So he goes for a walk down his boardwalk leading to the family pier, deep in thought. And this is the part I love when he's looking so handsome in his purple shirt ......... !!!! arrghhhhhhh

View attachment 31582
Thank you @Rosi4 :)

Rosi4

Wifey #42
lol. love pope's facial expressions.

I don't know about you or anyone else but I also think this scene has an almost sexual connotation! He's underdressed & the way he dropped the bowl that's water (& a form of liquid) it's him getting excited the way an enticed man would - and letting go!! hahahahaha....... sorry! I can't help it! Been watching this scene many times!!

cr. gifs made from videos belonging to Thai TV3

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
Hello everyone, newbie here. I have followed this forum for a long time, ussually lurking around trying to see which lakorn is worth my time.

Glad I was able to catch BPS when it was so famous, for a moment I really thought Thai lakorn has increase their quality standard when watching BPS because main problem with any lakorn are the editing and acting. It started well and will go dowb hill somewhere in the middle. They will surely messed up one of those or both. BPS however manage to dodge that.

Unfortunately the rest of lakorn world is still there.

Anyway I’m happy that BPS is finally released internationally and now I can watch it on the service I subscribe too with official Eng translation. They ussually just put GMM or OneHD drama on it. Or something which had either Push, Esther or Ice Prechaya. It’s great that now BPS is on it too.

Hi new friend!! Welcome aboard officially! Thankyou so much for that link. It says it's not available in my country though. Wth. .. .sad. Anyway. It's almost February almost a year since BPS was released! I can't believe it!!!!!