Calling all computer geniuses

marley

sarNie Hatchling
I need help. Recently my monitor has been acting up. I woke up one morning and I heard a clicking noise coming from my monitor. I tried turning on my computer, but my monitor wouldn't turn on. I tried unplugging everything and replugging it and it started to work again. But then today when it happened again. I thought that it might have been the ac power cord cause when I unplugged it the noise stopped. I plugged it back in and the green light on the power cord just keeps blinking and the clicking noise on the monitor started. I don't know if I should buy a new power cord or if there is something wrong with the actual monitor. When I unplug the ac in from the back of the monitor the light on the cord stops blinking. I really don't want to buy a new monitor. I'm broke man!! Please help.

sajenna

sarNie Oldmaid
you should try with an other monitor and your power cord or your monitor with an other power cord. borrow it from something else...

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
take your power cord to a friends/relative's house and try it on their monitor. If the problem occurs still, then it's your cord. If it works perfectly fine, then it's your monitor.

noungning

Heartless
if u wanna know if it's the cord do what was advised earlier... if not possible, buy another cord from bestbuy or something, test it, if it works, it's the cord, if not return it, they don't charge anything to return open cords from what i can remember.

first off, did u have the powercord from your monitor connected to a power surge? if not, u should get a powersurge... but in the case u said u unplugged and replugged and it worked again, so i don't think it is ur power outlet.

second, does your monitor blink? if so it might be your monitor's lightbulb.

third, did you accidently change any kind of configurations on your desktop and not realize it might affect your monitor?

marley

sarNie Hatchling
if u wanna know if it's the cord do what was advised earlier... if not possible, buy another cord from bestbuy or something, test it, if it works, it's the cord, if not return it, they don't charge anything to return open cords from what i can remember.

first off, did u have the powercord from your monitor connected to a power surge? if not, u should get a powersurge... but in the case u said u unplugged and replugged and it worked again, so i don't think it is ur power outlet.

second, does your monitor blink? if so it might be your monitor's lightbulb.

third, did you accidently change any kind of configurations on your desktop and not realize it might affect your monitor?

The light on my monitor doesn't even blink. I didn't change any of the configurations on my desktop. The noise that is coming from the monitor sounds like a frog. I was thinking of purchasing a new powercord, but after messing with it for a while I realized that the power cord was fine. When I plug it into the monitor it starts blinking and when I unplugged it from the monitor the light is fine. I tried googling it and this was whatt I found "This is most often caused by a serious failure and the power supply is protecting itself and you from fire by cycling the AC off and on." I just gave up. I plugged my old school monitor in until I can afford to purchase a new one. BOOOO!

Thanks everyone for your help and input.

rukD2B

Bai Yang [♥] Fong T. Xiong
Old school monitor? You mean you have a CRT monitor, or what?
Well, my brother's old monitor grew pretty crappy too, so we
decided to throw it out. However, it's probably the monitor if it's
not the power cord. Have you tried plugging up the monitor in
different outlets around the house?

noungning

Heartless
The light on my monitor doesn't even blink. I didn't change any of the configurations on my desktop. The noise that is coming from the monitor sounds like a frog. I was thinking of purchasing a new powercord, but after messing with it for a while I realized that the power cord was fine. When I plug it into the monitor it starts blinking and when I unplugged it from the monitor the light is fine. I tried googling it and this was whatt I found "This is most often caused by a serious failure and the power supply is protecting itself and you from fire by cycling the AC off and on." I just gave up. I plugged my old school monitor in until I can afford to purchase a new one. BOOOO!

Thanks everyone for your help and input.
um if that's what answered your question then that means ur monitor blew lol... possibly because u didn't use a power surge?? because power surges are supposed to protect you from lightenings and power failure type of problems because if u plug ur power cords directly to the wall outlet, when there's power failure, your computer can get "electrocuted" and burn out your system, happened to some people i know lol. kinda sad.

but um it makes me wonder, what the hell, it prevents itself from fire, possibly "overheating" so it turns the power on and off? that's strange lol, i'd imagine that with the computer but not the monitor. because how would a monitor think it's on fire, it doesn't even have a fan or anything... i dunno, sorry i couldn't be of more help to u

marley

sarNie Hatchling
um if that's what answered your question then that means ur monitor blew lol... possibly because u didn't use a power surge?? because power surges are supposed to protect you from lightenings and power failure type of problems because if u plug ur power cords directly to the wall outlet, when there's power failure, your computer can get "electrocuted" and burn out your system, happened to some people i know lol. kinda sad.

but um it makes me wonder, what the hell, it prevents itself from fire, possibly "overheating" so it turns the power on and off? that's strange lol, i'd imagine that with the computer but not the monitor. because how would a monitor think it's on fire, it doesn't even have a fan or anything... i dunno, sorry i couldn't be of more help to u
HAHA!! I don't know. I think the monitor blew.... It is probably because I didn't use a power surge. I should go get one. :p

noungning

Heartless
yeah u should definitely get one, because yeah if u lose power and ur monitor has to suddenly shut, the shock from the electricity can definitely kill ur system.

darvil

sarNie Adult
Oh man.. you don't have a surge protector? Thats a disaster waiting to happen. These protectors are dirt cheap.. so invest it one. You could lose alot more then your monitor.. such as components in your system which is a much more painful experience.. as I've experienced in the past.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I have to many surge protectors in my home =/ LOL to many electronics -.O sad sad it is if i didn't need the extra extension I wouldn't even use a surge protector lol my computer wall has a surge protector with 12 outlets and believe it or not all are taken lmao;

noungning

Heartless
ahah. sorry, i think we scared u. but it's for ur sake. so u don't get another blown monitor, computer, or some other electronic thingy like an external drive, which can hurt for years because u can't restore it -_-

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Im with Ning on this one; ... losing infor in a external is so freaking traumatizing; so now I back up everything 2x's LOL cause I wouldn't want to be scar like that again its painful

marley

sarNie Hatchling
Ok, I went a bought the surge protector and plugged my computer into it. YAY!!! Now I have another problem, my "old school" monitor that I plugged into my pc is also having the same problem. I'm starting to think it's my pc. Do you guys think I might have a virus or something? I might have to take it somewhere and have them wipe my computer clean and reinstall everything. That's going to be a pain in the butt. Help!!!

ijohn

sarNie Adult
yeah they are easy to change and they are not to expensive... lately i've been buying all my computer parts from www.Tigerdirect.com...