2 Killed in Bangkok Blasts

tang071

sarNie Elites

Thai authorities Sunday canceled major New Year's celebrations in Bangkok and Thailand's second largest city, Chiang Mai, after a string of explosions in the capital killed two people.
After the celebrations were canceled, another blast shook Bangkok's Kasorn Plaza shortly after midnight, where the city's 2007 countdown was to have taken place. Eight people were wounded, most of them tourists, police and hospital officials said.
Between 6 p.m. and 6:30 p.m., a series of explosions ripped through several downtown areas in Bangkok in what appeared to be a coordinated attack hours before New Year's Eve celebrations.
hose blasts killed two people and wounded at least 12 others.
Chief government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp warned residents to be cautious.
"The bombings exploded almost simultaneously. It must have been planned," Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont told reporters while visiting some of the wounded at a hospital.
It was not immediately clear who was behind the attacks, but speculation fell on supporters of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a September bloodless coup led by Gen. Sondhi Boonyaratkalin.
A number of arson attacks in provincial areas have been blamed on his followers, The Associated Press reported.
"There are two potential suspects, Muslim insurgents and Thaksin's residual power. I tend to think it's residual power. I suspect the previous regime," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University.
Bombings occur on a regular basis in Thailand's three southernmost provinces of Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani, where an Islamic insurgency that flared in January 2004 has killed more than 1,900 people.
One of the blasts occurred at a mall near the Victory Monument in the center of the Thai capital, Reuters reported.
"There was a big bang and people started screaming and running. I saw people with blood all over their legs and faces," witness Chalermsak Sanbee, 17, told Reuters.
In Bangkok, hotels increased security and some canceled New Year's Eve dinners, AP reported.
"I heard there was a bomb scare, but I don't actually know what is going on. All I know is that I paid 300 dollars at the Arnoma Hotel, and they had to end early," Eric Peterson, of Guam, told AP.
The two bombs exploded nearly at the same time seconds after the new year started.
The first bomb exploded at the Best Sea Foods restaurant on the Saen Saeb Canal near the Pratunam Pier just seconds after the New Year countdown ended.
Three foreigners and two Thais were injured. One of the foreigners had one leg amputated by the blast. The foreign tourists were having dinner at the restaurant.
Police said the bomb was hidden in a bumper tire at the pier.
The second bomb exploded at a public telephone booth at the pedestrian flyover linking Central World and Kesorn Plaza. Several foreigners were injured and rushed to hospitals.
It was fortunately that the New Year countdown event at Central World was earlier cancelled by 8 pm and thousands of revellers had already dispersed but many were still wandering around.
Police had to ask tourists and revellers to try to leave the area as soon as possible for fear that there could be another bomb.
Police said the bomb near Central World might be planted shortly before it exploded as police earlier checked the area but did not find it.
There were rumours of bomb explosions in many areas throughout the night and objects suspected to be bombs were sighted in several areas.
A suspected bomb was located at the Buddy Bar on Khao Sarn Road about half an hour after midnight and tourists were evacuated from the area.
By 1 am, police also disposed another bomb at the Lumpini Night Bazaar before it explodes.

for video, click here
www.cnn.com
www.nationmultimedia.com

noungning

Heartless
hmm i'm going there in a few months, hopefully things calm down by then. but i'm grateful that ppl i know in bkk are okay. :)

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
mai dee lery wah! everyone complain it was an odd count down man buh i dint really kno what happen just bombs

Phew

sarNie Fansubber
These bombs are small compare to ones down in the South, so really these people just want to cause attention instead of cause harm or danger. However they did kill & harm, but not as bad as ones in the South thats happening almost every week lol. Thailand's not so peaceful at the moment, its been getting wrost this year and possible for 2007 too since everyone starts the year this way :(

pii-nky

sarNie Juvenile
ah, thats insaneeeee! just let the people have their new year darn it=/

hope that doesn't prevent the future new year celebrations.

dynomite

Wanna-Be เจ้าชู้
Grgrgr!! THanks for the post!

This is ridiculous... I wish they could hunt these people and take it to their homes.

Is it muslim extremists or Thaksin's people. Why on earth would people think it is Thaksin's people?

Without providing evidence, there is no reason to believe Thaksin would do that. Unless he was part of the plot of extremist to bring down Thailand.

Grgrgrgrgrgr!!

tang071

sarNie Elites
more information:

Suspicion falls on Thaksin allies

New Year's Eve bombings were organised by figures within the previous regime: Surayud, Sonthi

People who lost power when the Thaksin Shinawa-tra regime was overthrown were behind the string of bombs in Bangkok on Sunday - not insurgents from the South, Prime Minister Surayud Chula-nont and junta chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin said yesterday.
Four former aides and top officials to Thaksin, including the former PM's Secretary Dr Prommin Lertsuridej and former deputy PM Chidchai Vanasatidya, have been summoned for questioning.
But none has reported to the authorities so far.
The Council for National Security planned to train owners of petrol stations, super-markets and factories, plus their workers, as security guards to help prevent what Sonthi called the "new threat" in urban areas.
"The military has been trained to handle this type of threat and urban sabotage for two years since we have known it could happen in our country," he said.
"We've got some links to the masterminds but never expected they would do something like this. They wanted to hurt the economy, spoil political and social stability," Sonthi said.
Eight bombs went off in several areas of Bangkok on New Year's Eve, killing three people and injuring 37, including nine foreigners.
"The bombers were ill-intentioned people who want to create a political imact. I would like all Thais to be aware of their intentions and that they want to create a scenario of politically instability in Thailand," Surayud said during a press conference at the office of Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc).
Prime Minister Surayud called an Isoc meeting with all concerned security agencies to discuss the situation while Sonthi - just back from the Hajj in Saudi Arabia - called a CNS meeting yesterday.
Officials have beefed up security at public places in the capital, including the new airport and bus terminals, as a lot of people are due to return from trips to see their families today and tomorrow.
Surayud said his claim was based on evidence - residue in the explosives, plus the location and timing of the blasts.
However, he refused to say clearly whether "the people who lost political benefits" referred to followers of the ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra or not.
The pattern of explosions and situation suggested the bombs in Bangkok were not linked to on-going violence in the deep South, Sonthi said.
"The militants are in trouble, even in Yala. I don't think they would come here as they could get lost in Bangkok," Sonthi told reporters.
Thaksin, who is now in exile and currently in China, strongly denied insinuations he was involved in the deadly bomb blasts. He suggested it may have been the work of Muslim separatists from the deep South, his lawyer said.
"Thaksin strongly rejects the allegations and said that his government, which came from the people, would not hurt its people," Noppadon Pattama said.
"The government should not rush to conclusions by trying to relate the attacks to previous governments. It is totally unfair and untrue," he said.
Noppadon said Thaksin warned coup leader General Sonthi some time ago to keep a close watch on militants from the far South in case they carried out bomb attacks in Bangkok.

--------------------------------------------
Democrat Party chief adviser Chuan Leekpai said yesterday the "old power'' was playing an "undercurrent" game - suggesting the New Year's Eve bombs in Bangkok were the work of the previous administration.
Chuan commented after Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont indicated people who had lost influence from the political change had masterminded the blasts on Sunday night.
Chuan, a former prime minister, said the "old power" still existed like an underground group. "Do not forget that Thaksin Shinawatra was in power for five years. He built an empire with a process that used both money and power as a bargaining chip,'' he said.
Asked if the old power still used their money politically, Chuan said he believed so.
"Thaksin's money keeps rising. Do not underestimate the rich. The richest man in Thailand is not normal. Thaksin had said that dying is better than losing."
Chuan said the previous regime still had significant influence. "The old power has a strong base so they can continuously burn down schools. Some officials belong to the old power so they are not trying to reveal the truth. Money can buy people. People who receive money on a regular basis would naturally have a strong bond to them,'' he said.
--------------------------------------------

The government and the Council for National Security (CNS) yesterday played down speculation that the bomb attacks in Bangkok on New Year's Eve were planned by Muslim insurgents based in the deep South, despite certain evidence.
A high-ranking CNS source said the initials IRK, which represent a group of Islamic militias who reportedly received training in Afghanistan in guerrilla warfare in urban areas recently, that was left at three of the eight bomb sites seemed too deliberate and obviously intended to make security officials think they were behind the attacks.
Security officials, the government and the CNS yesterday hinted the bomb attacks were carried out by "those who have lost their political interests" while not explicitly saying whether the attacks were carried out by those with connections to the ousted Thaksin government.
The IRK initials were written with markers at four places at three bomb sites - a pillar near a bus stop at Victory Monument, a phone booth near Gaysorn Plaza, a phone booth near Pratunam Pier, and a phone booth near Big C Rajdamri. Police said the initials could have been painted as graffiti and might not have anything to do with the attacks.
Citing speculation that pointed to Muslim insurgents, Aree, a Muslim, said care should be taken when linking the bomb attacks with Islam as New Year's Eve was a holy day in Islam. "Those trying to link the attacks with Muslim insurgents need to think hard," he said.
He declined to comment on whether the attacks were ordered by those with ties to ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. He doubted the attacks had anything to do with a reported failed attempt by pro-Thaksin military officers to carry out a recent counter-coup operation.
A military ordnance source said the type of explosives used at all eight bomb sites was the same - Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil (ANFO) which was classified as M4, an industrial blasting agent of 94 per cent ammonium nitrate and 6 per cent petrol.
Police, however, provided different information on the type of explosive used, saying the bombs were home-made, of a non-violent type and detonated by batteries.

Phew

sarNie Fansubber
I don't believe it was Tanksin, he loved Thailand and I'm sure he wouldnt go on distorying Thailand and I'm sure his people doesn't either, it maybe people creating stir for the current governement so its weak and not stable for people to trust. Dunno but this new government dont seem to impress too many people in Thailand though.

this is sad for the victim who don't ask nothing and meet that..esp for this day...and this is true i don't think it' thaksin too ..hope they will khnow who is the one order that.....

natty

Chubs
it's so much easier to blame the people who can not defend themselves.

when thaksin was overthrown, they said the problems in the south would be resolve and peace would be restore but instead it gotten worst. how weird that it's not reported as much as before? instead the news are suggesting that the south's problem are getting better.. when it's really not..