why go to college?

mcl87

sarNie Egg
so...i'm doing a research paper for my english class...i decided to write a paper i would actually be somewhat intrested in and care about...

i decided to go with the topic: why students go to college?

is it because of society's image of being happy, rich, successful and intellegent?

is it because of your parents expections?

brothers and sisters influence?

is it because you all want to experience the independence that college allows you to have?

is it because you want to be stuck in a math or eng class you dont really care for?

the future have any influence?

i just need some feed back from you guys...kind of like a survey thing...
so gimmie all your info...it would be graciously appreciated! thanks

nanthao

sarNie Hatchling
I'm the oldest of 7 kids, I refuse to stay home and go to a community college. I grow up watching all my female (HMONG) relatives getting married in high school and then by the time they graduate, they have like 2 kids already. There's nothing in life for them, I feel as though they basically lost their chance of living life as a full teenager. I want to experiences live at the same time get an education so I want can be better off in the future. I don't want to depend on a guy, basiclly I want to be successful and independent.

mcl87

sarNie Egg
nanthao said:
I'm the oldest of 7 kids, I refuse to stay home and go to a community college. I grow up watching all my female (HMONG) relatives getting married in high school and then by the time they graduate, they have like 2 kids already. There's nothing in life for them, I feel as though they basically lost their chance of living life as a full teenager. I want to experiences live at the same time get an education so I want can be better off in the future. I don't want to depend on a guy, basiclly I want to be successful and independent.
[post="85134"][/post]​

yea i guess that's your view but what if some girls actually like the idea of being a stay at home mom? nothing wrong with that but i guess i do see your point too. when i see young girls like 14, 15, 16, 17 years of age married...it's like omg they have so much potential and yet they throw it all away...but then agian it's not their fault...hmong society allows this to happen to young hmong girls and women. i kinda blame it on the parents also for pressuring their children to get married so young...this causes alot of problems like divorce...abusive relationships...suicide...depression...it's sad really but parents dont know any better...when they think they are doing the absolute best for their children they really arent...they have expections themselves and sometimes feel like they are obligated to have their children married otherwise the hmong community will look at them bad....i hate it! i hate it! parents just grew up in a different generation than us...

usually when parents are to decide wether a son or a daughter should go to college it's usually the son. in hmong culture women are the ones who have the burden of being the homemaker. the older generation of women accepted this but the younger generation such as you and i dont. we have been exposed to the american society altho as deviant as it seems to be to the older generation...young women today want to become successful and idependant...seems like the word idependence is bad for hmong ppl...but i'm like OMG it's not my fault i ended up in america...lol but really i do agree with you...

i dont want to be the typical hmong girl that cooks and cleans and tends to their husbands every need! i'd much rather listen to ROCK MUSIC, go to school better myself so i can survive even if "the guy" leaves me...

"the most well-behaved women never make history"

gosh...i'm such a feminist! it's all good tho

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
To experience whats out there...encounter the many challenges that life has in store for you...didn't want to contribute to tradition anymore (stay with your parents until you get married)...hmong girls nowadays have the priviledge to go out there and explore...take advantage of it...

This is such a topic...but gosh, I'm in the computer lab right now and I have class in 5 minutes...I would love to elaborate, but maybe later when I get home...

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
To experience whats out there...encounter the many challenges that life has in store for you...didn't want to contribute to tradition anymore (stay with your parents until you get married)...hmong girls nowadays have the priviledge to go out there and explore...take advantage of it...

This is such a topic...but gosh, I'm in the computer lab right now and I have class in 5 minutes...I would love to elaborate, but maybe later when I get home...

mcl87

sarNie Egg
ceda_lee said:

[post="85166"][/post]​
lol yes! i think i'm changing my topic nah maybe narrow it down to "Why HMONG teen girls choose to go to college instead of following tradition customs and how the American and Hmong society influence them to do so."

beamie

sarNie Hatchling
yea...that would be a good topic....cause Hmong girls are so different from American girls.....for me....my family is still old-school....you know...the normal...."you're a daughter and have to learn how to do all the housework...don't get to go anywhere...."

personally for me....it's not the American society that is influencing me to go to college...it's more the Hmong community....everyone has got major dreams/goals to achieve and my only goal i'm trying to shoot for is to someday make the Hmong community more known.....not a lot of people know what Hmong people are....we're just catagorized as Chinese or Asian....and it bugs me....i want to visit Laos/Thailand....with my knowledge and help out over there cause i know a lot are really sick.....can i achieve it?? i don't know about that....but at least I'm trying....

I think most of us choose to go to colleges just for the heck of getting away from home....you know....we're girls and don't want to depend on our parents forever to house us....we want to gain knowlege...be independant....live on our own and not have parents rule over us....it's like a thirst you've got to quench......we'll feel more successful when we get our degree and move on with our lives to become whatever we want to become.....

i believe if hmong girls didn't get married so young....and put their knowledge to good use....they'd make it really big in the world.....i know for a fact we ARE just as good as Americans and everyone else....

i don't know...i don't think that really answered the question but...hahah...iono....felt like i had to get that out somewhere....it's about education though right?? hahaha...

mcl87

sarNie Egg
beamie said:
yea...that would be a good topic....cause Hmong girls are so different from American girls.....for me....my family is still old-school....you know...the normal...."you're a daughter and have to learn how to do all the housework...don't get to go anywhere...."

personally for me....it's not the American society that is influencing me to go to college...it's more the Hmong community....everyone has got major dreams/goals to achieve and my only goal i'm trying to shoot for is to someday make the Hmong community more known.....not a lot of people know what Hmong people are....we're just catagorized as Chinese or Asian....and it bugs me....i want to visit Laos/Thailand....with my knowledge and help out over there cause i know a lot are really sick.....can i achieve it?? i don't know about that....but at least I'm trying....

I think most of us choose to go to colleges just for the heck of getting away from home....you know....we're girls and don't want to depend on our parents forever to house us....we want to gain knowlege...be independant....live on our own and not have parents rule over us....it's like a thirst you've got to quench......we'll feel more successful when we get our degree and move on with our lives to become whatever we want to become.....

i believe if hmong girls didn't get married so young....and put their knowledge to good use....they'd make it really big in the world.....i know for a fact we ARE just as good as Americans and everyone else....

i don't know...i don't think that really answered the question but...hahah...iono....felt like i had to get that out somewhere....it's about education though right?? hahaha...
[post="85208"][/post]​

education is key!

sueko

sarNie Egg
i want to go to college b/c my parents lived on welfare to support my 5 other siblings... i don't wanna live like that so i want to build a better life. ^_^ v

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
kids these days are getting smarter.. don't get left behind in the education system.
the future plays an extremely big role to why i go to college.
i have goals in life that i want to achieve.
i want to expand my knowledge to it's greatest potential and learn about everything i can take in before life ends..
there's so much to learn in such a short life time.
you don't live life to satisfy anyone but yourself...
don't let anybody's doubt or pressure stop you from not going to school...
have something to fall back on.. like a college degree. =DDD

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
yes so peeps go to college for financial aid of course...most peeps...i go to college for my goal..that i plan to work out..

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I go to college because it's the only way I can actually practice the profession I desire. I want to be a pediatrician. No one is going to let me heal a kid unless I have the appropriate title; so therefore I am slaving myself in school. I also love learning so in the end it all works out. I'll end up getting the career that I want helping kids and I'll always continue to learn. :wub: I hope to work for St. Jude's hospital one day. I knew what I wanted to be since I was 11 ^__^; hopefully I reach my goal, but even if I don't I know I tried and fought as much as I possibly could. Although school is hard it's going to be worth it to see the smile on some kids face one day =.= Also I want my sisters to learn the value of education. They look up to me a lot and I want to influence them in the right way. (Except the Getting Married at 19). I also want to prove to my husband that him believing in me is going to be well worth it. I also want to prove to those who told me, "Southeast Asian's aren't meant to succeed in college" wrong. Also I believe that the more I learn the more I mature as a person and as an adult. Are those the same thing? No they aren't.

Well those are my reasons lol

yaksoh

sarNie Juvenile
i'm in school
but i had no choice
either I go to school and get a good education
or get evicted from home and work as hell to get my life stable
so i chose the longer term instead of the shorter one
can't really say that one is better or easy than the other one
so this is my answer to "why go to college?"