when someone says "I am Laos"

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
^^ LOL.. Ning.. you're absolutely right... there's other greater things to worry about... but I still want to throw chili sauce on their faces when they say lay-o-tian. :D

Brandy

sarNie Egg
I hope I'm not as big as the country itself. Hahah :lol: I would be terrified. I tend to say "I'm Laos" because I am just so use to making mistakes, but I hope that I don't cause that much of a pain in the butt[:

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
It don't annoy me, but it make me chuckle to hear someone says "I am Laos." I make me wonder if they know the difference. I usually say "I'm Lao" or "I'm Laotian" Normally I say I'm Lao, b/c are like "What?" when you say Laotian. Even though they still ask where's that? It's fun to just say, it's somewhere in Asian, can you guess?

lady0fdarkness

For me.. I don't like using the word "Laotian." I just say Lao. The word Laotian was afterall made up by the westerners. The real way of saying the people of Laos is just "Lao."

annygirl

sarNie Egg
It don't annoy me, but it make me chuckle to hear someone says "I am Laos." I make me wonder if they know the difference. I usually say "I'm Lao" or "I'm Laotian" Normally I say I'm Lao, b/c are like "What?" when you say Laotian. Even though they still ask where's that? It's fun to just say, it's somewhere in Asian, can you guess?
haha yeah because they will hear "-ocean" instead XD

2cute2care

sarNie Juvenile
what i found funny is that, even if you say i'm laos or i am laotian/lao there are so many people who go in return....whats laos?..lol

triANGgo

lekie_lucious
what i found funny is that, even if you say i'm laos or i am laotian/lao there are so many people who go in return....whats laos?..lol
shows how education people are when they ask what's Laos..... wth... next time ask them..... How did you pass Geography Class????

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
False: Laos, Laotain

True: Lao

People in Muang Lao don't say .. I'm Laos or I'm Laotian .. they say I'm Lao (Pen Khon Lao) .. Live in Lao (Yuu Muang Lao)

Laos <<< French name the country this and the people Laotian....People in Laos in use either terms...

LAO PDR aka Pathet Lao .. not Laos ... it's ok to say I'm from Laos (cus its in the book already) .. but when you're in Laos .. and you say that .. people will look at you and say .. what is Laos...

Another thing, never say you're Lao(tian) ... becus when u say ... Lao (tian) .. the 'tian' sound like Chien and Chien mean dog in French... Lao(tian) = Lao (dog) ...

annea

sarNie Adult
Lol. this reminds me of "King of the Hill" that one show on fox ch36 or whatever. They have a Lao family that lives there and someone ask them. "What are you?" they said, "I'm Laotion" and then they were like, "what ocean?" LOL. You guys should watch that show. I always watch it for the Lao characters...haha...I think they're also the main characters, but if not sure it things has change since I havent watch the show for a long time now.

lady0fdarkness

False: Laos, Laotain

True: Lao

People in Muang Lao don't say .. I'm Laos or I'm Laotian .. they say I'm Lao (Pen Khon Lao) .. Live in Lao (Yuu Muang Lao)

Laos <<< French name the country this and the people Laotian....People in Laos in use either terms...

LAO PDR aka Pathet Lao .. not Laos ... it's ok to say I'm from Laos (cus its in the book already) .. but when you're in Laos .. and you say that .. people will look at you and say .. what is Laos...

Another thing, never say you're Lao(tian) ... becus when u say ... Lao (tian) .. the 'tian' sound like Chien and Chien mean dog in French... Lao(tian) = Lao (dog) ...

hmmm... funny how the french would add the "tian" sounding very similiar to chien, dog in their language. So not only did they rule Laos, they had a hidden message too? haha

2cute2care

sarNie Juvenile
i dont care if people say laos, laotian or lao just as long as they acknowledge they are from laos
i hate when i see/hear lao people call themselves thai or e-san because they dont want to be call lao especially in thailand because lao tends to mean country folk or lower class :(

aznsao9

Ky the Star
it bothers me sometimes, just because it sounds weird to me.
and it's like your saying your the country itself.
as for laotian, people that don't know keep thinking it's lotion or a type of ocean.
anyways, as for me, i used to say "laotian" but then just went with "lao".
because it sounded better and that's what the people in laos say as well.
and i never heard my mom or dad say that they were laotian too, but people from laos or lao.
anyways, i guess sometimes it just depends who you're around and how you pick it up and what not.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
haha. thats funny that you bring this up.

to say i'm Laos is incorrect because you can't be Laos. Laos is the country. You are Lao and you speak Lao.