what does "calum" mean in laos and english?

SexyShadow

sarNie Egg
what does "calum" mean in laos and english? i always wonder what its means since my mom say it only if i do things like cutting ur nails on the bed but to do it on the floor, i ask her but she doesnt know how to explain it in english so if anyone knows what it mean..mind telling me :nailbiter:

TubbyTinker

You're Average Person :)
I think it means liek bad luck or something along those lines...superstition stuff...

i never knew cutting your nails on the bed was "calum"..i do it all the time lolz

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
I think "bad luck" is another term associated with the word, but I'm not sure if that itself is what "kalum" means. I think a similar meaning in Thai is "Pid pee," but "kalum" probably has a lighter connotation. Inappropriateness is also associated with "kalum," I believe.

I was told before also, that it's "kalum" to cut your nails at night or step on pillows with your feet. But as I grew older, or maybe as certain people in my family became Americanized, I find that no one strictly adheres to this rule relating to "kalum" -ness.

saobomp

sarNie Adult
it means differently in two ways i think.

can be bad luck if you're doing something and shouldnt like:

cross over someone sitting down that has their leg stretched out.

cutting your hair at night
sweeping the floor at night

then that's kalum when you should be fasting:

after i had my baby i had to kalum what i eat
things such as padek,fish sauce, cold drinks, fry stuff etc...

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
"Calum" "Kalum" basically means Taboo. Stuff you shouldn't do because its believed to be bad luck, a bad omen etc.

anan

sarNie Adult
x0unerthanlater said:
"Calum" "Kalum" basically means Taboo. Stuff you shouldn't do because its believed to be bad luck, a bad omen etc.

I think you are right !!! Taboo seems the closest-word to define "Khalum", the other term for me would be "inappropriate".

The elders use that word sometimes to teach young boys/girls about good manner (sometimes they are too lazy to explain, so they use this shortcut word), even when there is no logical explanation for you. Khalum is not necessary linked to superstition stuff !!
For instance: the elders used to say for girls(ancien time) : "Don't wash your hair(shampoo) late at night" --> They don't want you to get cold & fall sick.

Another phrase that comes to my mind now is: "Ya su nonn kin, man khalum ! " --> for the good digestion it's better to sit & eat correctly :)

So, the next time that your parents use this shortcut taboo word: ask them "WHY ?"  lol.
you will be surprised by the reason lol...

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
anan said:
I think you are right !!! Taboo seems the closest-word to define "Khalum", the other term for me would be "inappropriate".

The elders use that word sometimes to teach young boys/girls about good manner (sometimes they are too lazy to explain, so they use this shortcut word), even when there is no logical explanation for you. Khalum is not necessary linked to superstition stuff !!
For instance: the elders used to say for girls(ancien time) : "Don't wash your hair(shampoo) at late night" --> They don't want you to get cold & fall sick.

Another phrase that comes to my mind now is: "Ya su nonn kin, man khalum ! " --> for the good digestion it's better to sit & eat correctly :)

So, the next time that your parents use this shortcut taboo word: ask them "WHY ?"  lol.
you will be surprised by the reason lol...

True. Sometimes they attach a scary story with it. but mostly it's just them being too lazy to explain further. I remember my mom use to tell me girls aren't supposed to whistle or to not whistle at night because a ghost will come and cover your mouth when you sleep or something like that. And another one was to not play with shadows because they'll come play with you at night.

I always asked why though, hahah