wat r ur dreams?

XCappy

Mr. Char
If there is a contest for long story, Ning, you are the WINNER !

Well, I have time to spend before going to bed, let's write a little :

I'm in a graduate school of Engineers (Computer Engineering, Electronics, Telecommunications and Network), so my main subject is science.

It started with the Junior HS period, when I got a strict and crazy maths teacher (7th grade), and from that year (2000), all my results have dropped. So, my mother worried a little and then, decided to call a tutor : A young Asian lady, and seriously, it didn't help me... I just said stop, and continued my way. It's useless to pay her for nothing.
In 8th grade, my mother found another tutor : A mixed Chinese/Japanese. Later, I found out he was one of my friend's uncle. His method was useful and pemitted me to increase my results. He has been my tutor from 8th grade to the end of HS (12th grade ?).

After HS, I entered the graduate school. The first year was really hard, but I kept in mind : "Well, it's a bad beginning, I'll end good". Finally, I passed to year 2 (where I am at the moment) after the final jury.
Now (year 2), it's pretty cool, my results are better than last year.

If I'm here today, it's certainly thanks to my tutor. He is the only one that gave me the good tools. Of course, you may wonder : "why he always talk about his tutor ?" - That's simple : his main activity made me dream (Finance, Trading).

It was a sunny day (in July), he told me : "Char, I'll leave for one month, I have a mission to do in Asia." So, he went to Asia to do his mission, and of course have his vacations. Weeks later, I received a postcard from Hong-Kong, another week from Japan ! And from the last card, I told myself : "Later, I'll work abroad !". I love to travel, so it gives more motivation.

My first international experience will be this year, if I'm taken : the Intensive Chinese courses at Taiwan. Wait and see...

And of course, I'll join Jen's thought about helping the family.

darvil

sarNie Adult
Ning what the hell man. That was some hardcore posting.. and you were typing all that out during work? Must be pretty bored.

In WSU I lived in the dorms so I didn't really watch that much TV. I always get calls from people asking me to go to different dorms and such.
When I mean party I mean things that involve alcohol. Alot of it. As a matter of fact, this was where I learned alot about alcohol; brands and flavors :). There was also alot of weed usage. Practically everyone was smoking it although I never got involved with that vice.

noungning

Heartless
omg so u meant an actual party!!! omg i'm shocked :eek: :eek: :eek: my timmy!!! omg no way...

yeah i was bored at work, the printer died so i couldn't really do crap haha. then when it got fixed. i got to my coupon printing... haha i kid.

STIMA

wow how cool everyone's writing long ass paragraphs bout their dreams t_t
which is goodddddd ?! : D
but yeah for me, i just want to be a foreign service officer
i want to get my masters in international relations and so like maybe a b.a in sociology or something. .. if i dont make it, realize it's not for me...then i'll work for the united nations overseas : D
but yeah i want to work with people overseas, especially children and women & young girls in poverty or sexual slavery and all that

the end. lol jk

sirena

sarNie Adult
you can still do it. do you design your own clothes or anything like that yet? have any drawings going? well, i don't know what it is you fashion people do. when i was at PSU, there was this pro-fashion girl i knew. she made & designed her own clothes along w/ designing & making clothes for every play, fashion show, etc... at the school, but her major was business. her parents didn't know anything about the designing stuff. damn. she was also writing a book on the side. :eek:

and my family will adopt you. we're very supportive, & i've always wanted a sister esp. since i won't have to change diapers, b/c you're grown up already. ;)

aww ur soo sweet :] haha but yea i really do wanna continue my design plan but then again i have doubts

i never atcually made any clothe of my own b4

all i do is draw

i have a book my portfoilo of all my design drawing ive done

seriously! ive been keeping this portfoilo since i waz a sophmore untill now im freshman college

i luv all my design <3 ^_^

if i waz a designer, i would consider my self to be an editorial fashion designer ^^

i dnt like that everyday look :p that regular

i like them bold style sumthing that u wouldnt c everyday on the street, sumthing u would c in fashion show like in milan or paris

sigh- im gonna cry T_T

bugsy

sarNie Adult
I can't believe I read that whole thing...but thanks for sharing, Ning...cause I"m also like you....very unsure of what I want to do. For now, I think I've got a clearer sense of things...but it's still scary.

Ok, so to hopefully not write an essay, here's my story:

I came to college blank headed. No clue in what I wanted to do. I mean, it's a career we're talking about....how the hell am I suppose to know. I know I had 18 years to get to know myself before college but even there, I didn't really start thinking of college till probably junior year in high school. And my parents never lectured, told us or got us thinking about our futures. My dad was never there as an adolescent and when he was, his lectures only always go something like "don't be a bad kid, don't smoke, don't drink"....nothing about "what do you want to be in the future?" And my mom was too passive to talk about stuff like that. Her lectures only go something like "don't be lazy, go cook and clean". And growing up, I don't think I ever made friends with someone who was very pro-school. One of my roommates now told me she was already thinking about college in elementary school and I looked at her and went "you crazzzzy!" That was me though. Didn't think much.

So anyways, my second semester of college I declared Human Development and Family Studies and was thinking of going into social work or counseling. But after one and a half years of taking courses, I hated it. Couldn't take it anymore. Aside from some lame classes, I just couldn't picture myself listening to other people's problem's for the rest of my life. I do that enough already just as a friend, and to have that title and take responsibility...dont know...I just couldn't picture myself. Like I told some friends, if I would've stuck with it I think sooner or later I'd probably end up killing someone. Not forreal but you know...just get soo much burnout that I go paranoid on someone or something. I make myself sound bad there....but I'm not that bad, seriously. It's still an awesome field to go into though and I'd rather have someone more dedicated, passionate, and knows what they're doing in it.

So now, I've switched majors. I actually just switched this past semester. I am now majoring in Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management with concentrations in Lodging and International Hospitality; and MINORING in Human Development and Family Studies. It was weird how I came upon this. It was this one day this past summer when I came upon this website for a travel school in the west coast, and something just clicked. Just like that. lol. But yeaa...back to the switch...there were people who made me feel like crap though...for changing majors. As if they thought I was insensitive or low now or something cause I didn't "care" for social problems anymore or something. But pssh with that. I do too care and still plan on helping people. After years of being blank, I think I finally found something I might really like because not only is it a challenge being new and all, I actually excited.

To end it...I guess my hope for the future (for now) is to climb the ladder and hold a high (or higher than some ^^) position in a hotel or resort somewhere. Maybe even own my own one day...who knows. And I want to start out in the U.S. but later go overseas. And like I tell myself, with money comes power and with power, I can do lots of good with it.

daniaa

sarNie Egg
I have no dream.

I live for my parents, and I am destined to have a sad life. I don't understand how a parent's mind works; it seemed like my parents - specifically, my mom..ugghhh - have this mindset to make me follow whatever she tells me to do. It sucks, since I am a human being, and I'm supposed to have my own thinking, my own principles, my own life. But instead, every little step I take, I have to inform her to the minutest details; I have no independancy, I ahev to depend on her in every decision-making.

Just now, I cried my eyes out. I'm turning 18 this April, yet I don't even have a purpose of living, at least until June, when university applications starts. I just finished High School last December and since then, I'd done nothing. Absolutely nothing. My dad offered for me to help out at his office; he's a lecturer. Practically, he's offering me a job. I'd get paid and stuff. The amount would be minimal, but hey, I'm doing something, don't I?

Trust my mom to turn the whole situation around, full 360 degrees.

Not only she said that working with your own dad is not fun - that is not true, it's as fascinating as it gets! - she said that I'm too childish and haven't matured yet. Hello? I'm 18, if I'm not matured yet, I wouldn't be striving for my best back when I'm in my last year at school; I'd just sit around and playing around. I wouldn't be thinking that education is the only way to succeed in life; a steeping stone to achieve what I want, that is a stable and secure life. Because in my current condition, I don't think men is trustable. No pun intended.

Every dream I have has been turned down, going back since I first remember. Everything I do has been dismissed as stupid and childish, going back since I can remember.

Serves me right, I don't have anymore dreams now.

I'm just concentrating on trying to live my live for the present day, without getting nagged - something impossible, I believe- and keep quiet. Since I know extremely well that my dad won't side with me in this matter; he made it very clear to me that his wife's happiness is his topmost priority.

I'll comment more on this, mind you.

darvil

sarNie Adult
I can't believe I read that whole thing...but thanks for sharing, Ning...cause I"m also like you....very unsure of what I want to do. For now, I think I've got a clearer sense of things...but it's still scary.

Ok, so to hopefully not write an essay, here's my story:
Alot of people want to help others but most of us won't be able to handle the stress. Its not an easy work and you have to be strong mentally. Not saying you aren't of course :)

I have no dream.

Sounds to me like your mom can't let you go yet. Are you the only child in the family?

none3

sarNie Hatchling
I've discovered I really like statistic and math. Since my trip from Cambodia, I have this strong passion to want to teach there. I don't want to teach in the khmer universities or city but I want to teach in the country instead because it's very poor and if i could manage, i'd teach for free. Silly huh?...But I really love my khmer people. I really want to give thems some kind of hope in life besides harvesting rice and fishing. Maybe i could make a difference in someones life, I mean, why keep my knowledge to myself and use it for the benefit of others who feel.....I might have to leave sanworld for a very long time if that happens. ^_^. so, wish me good luck. the day that my decision has been made and i do leave, i will let you all know. :)

noungning

Heartless
^oh, nice. if u get to fulfill your dreams, good luck. ;)

daniaa, wow u sound like u are stuck under a gloomy cloud, must be tough to be in the position. but sometimes you may have to view things more positively [i dunno why i say this, as i am pessimistic, so now i'm a hypocrit], ok you might not have to view it positively but at more angles... why are they doing this to you, why are they doing what they are doing? and such...

for example, parents will always think u are immature, they ALWAYS see you as a child, even if you are in your 20s, they've always "showered in the hot water" before us or did this and that before us so they know SOOO much more... but that's not the fact, time changes, and life experiences changes, although they may think they understand us, it's all BS.

and you have to fight for your rights [to party!] lol well you have to take a stand at some point. goodluck!

bao, when i was working with the traveling company, i also thought hey this is what i want, and i still ponder if i do wanna do that. but the thing is, like tim said, it's VERY hard to work with PEOPLE. and especially when you are handling their vacation, in which many takes expensive vacation to fulfill their dream vacations, so they look for only the best. but i'm glad u believe this is what you really want, it takes lots of tolerance to kiss and cater to people's ass lmao.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I've discovered I really like statistic and math. Since my trip from Cambodia, I have this strong passion to want to teach there. I don't want to teach in the khmer universities or city but I want to teach in the country instead because it's very poor and if i could manage, i'd teach for free. Silly huh?...But I really love my khmer people. I really want to give thems some kind of hope in life besides harvesting rice and fishing. Maybe i could make a difference in someones life, I mean, why keep my knowledge to myself and use it for the benefit of others who feel.....I might have to leave sanworld for a very long time if that happens. ^_^. so, wish me good luck. the day that my decision has been made and i do leave, i will let you all know. :)
You like statistics? OMG! You know I used to like it, until I got a B for first semester lol. I mainly hated the adjusting standard deviations or means of a certain thing so that manufacturers can label their products as having 33% more, even if there really is not 33% more content in the bag. That stuff is confusing and I still can't master it. However, the thing we are learning now about bimonial and geometric distributions are very interesting and a piece of cake compared to the last chapter.

Teaching abroad sounds like a good dream. Are you currently doing your teaching credentials? Anyways, I hope you achieve it. And also, its not silly to teach for free. There's one thing that I really enjoy doing (won't name it here because I'll sound like a sucker or a really nice girl haha...and trust me I'm not) but yes, its really enjoyable and seeing others reactions for doing something great really is the payoff. Good luck none3.

sulad

sarNie Adult
When I was young I always wanted to be a nurse who help take care of New Borns.
But as I got older, I got into something else.

I'm not the best artist and don't really just draw or sketch stuff.
But I'm into sketching Fashion Appearl.
So I'm planning to major in Fashion Appearl.
I know that getting into Fashion Appearl is really complicated and competitive.
But I just don't want to stop myself from it and one day look back and regret it.
So I'm going for it no matter what.
I also got a major that I'm going to major in and it's Cosmetology.
Which I'm going toward doing Nails.
If one day I decided to do Hair also, I might.
But I have two major because if incase Fashion Appearl don't work out for me.
I got Cosmetology to back me up in my Career.

When it comes to my parents and my career.
My parents are pretty open to what my siblings and me want to do for our careers..
Because they just want to see us do what we enjoy and like and be successful.

I say that no matter what how much people put you down.
Take that chance and no matter what if it doesn't work out for you.
You'll always have many chances to achieve that dream/goal.
:D

daniaa

sarNie Egg
Sounds to me like your mom can't let you go yet. Are you the only child in the family?

daniaa, wow u sound like u are stuck under a gloomy cloud, must be tough to be in the position. but sometimes you may have to view things more positively [i dunno why i say this, as i am pessimistic, so now i'm a hypocrit], ok you might not have to view it positively but at more angles... why are they doing this to you, why are they doing what they are doing? and such...

for example, parents will always think u are immature, they ALWAYS see you as a child, even if you are in your 20s, they've always "showered in the hot water" before us or did this and that before us so they know SOOO much more... but that's not the fact, time changes, and life experiences changes, although they may think they understand us, it's all BS.

and you have to fight for your rights [to party!] lol well you have to take a stand at some point. goodluck!
Today I am more positive. I still think I'm pretty much 'underrated' by my parents, but still they have enough patience to stand my endless whining. Nope, I don't whine much, I just want some things, and I'm bound not to get them. Eg: car license, new books, my own new cellphone.

It's countless.

Nope Darvil, I'm second in the 5 soldiers, I have an older sister and 3 little brothers. And I see me getting nagged the most. Why?

Fighting for my rights, eh? I'll have to watch out for a good, sunny day. I wouldn't want to ruin my mom's day. Aishh..