Visiting Laos...

missjoy

sarNie Elites
I am planning to go to Laos in April. I went there over 10 years ago and I am sure ALOT has changed. So those that have been recently, can you share your experience?

Where all did you go? What was your impression?
Any places I definately should go or restaurants I definately should try?
Any travel tips? Do's and Dont's? I am very concerned about getting picked pocketed.
etc..........

If you have any pictures, can you post them and share with us? I am sure I'll post lots when I get back. I am a camera whore.. ehehehe.. :w000t:

Reagan

sarNie Adult
Hello missjoy, to be honest laos has not changed much from 10 years ago, there are roads instead of dirt though in some areas, there are a few big hotels and all, my impression is I want to live there, places to visit I dont know the name of them but there is a place with statues and all, many of them 2 all different types though its sorta far from vientiane maybe the heat made it seem longer and also temples and statues of past kings also. restaurants I'd recommend this one its got goong pao dont know the location but go there! and also an ice cream restaurant which is nice 2 and cheap! ohh yeah there is many sin dart or dart sin I 4got but yeah those plces are awesome!!!. if your going to the morning market dont 4get to bargain and go to other stores. a tip you can do since most of the stores sell the same stuff is offer a price and next to that store offer another price and they will bargain themselves for you whom willing to sell for the lowest price. If you could donate some money to some disadvantage centres or buy food, lollies and bring it to them, but thats up to you few dollars go a long way in laos thats for sure. Pick pocket? not sure about that.

these are some of the photos I took when I was there, btw dont 4get during april is new years, and its veryyyyyyyyyy hot in laos during that time lol

Power

sarNie Egg
Laos was fun! You will definitely enjoy it. Especially since the last time you went was 10 years ago. Many things have changed in fact. How long are you going for? If you have enough time you should definitely go visity Luang Prabang, Vung Vieng, Savannakhet, Paxsan, Vientiane! I had a blast. When you are in Vientiane, don't forget to shop at the morning market because that is the place where you can find some of the coolest things for cheap cheap!! Just bring alot of money! Food as always is great! Very cheap food. I am not sure about the pick pocket though, because I haven't really heard of people being pick pocket. To me, the Laotian are so friendly over there! Everybody was so nice and kind.

Reagan are you talking about "Daat Seen" as in like Grill Meat? If yes, then YES go try it. Those are good. That's what I ate the first night! So many things to do and see. Right now they opened up an ITTEC thing, where there's movie theaters, bowling, a supermarket, and many more! When I went, I had a chance to go preview some products that Thailand are trying to sell in the Lao Market and that was pretty cool. The traffic was jam pack and crazy!

So you actually went to the Patuxay thing? I couldn't go up because it was closed. But I did get to see when they turned on the water fountain thing. Very nice. Alot of people are there exercising and just chilling. You know what though, Laos isn't really that hot sometimes if you compare it to where I live in the USA. It's the fact that there is no air conditioner and the car rides have no air conditioner (at least the one I'm in don't have one). Over here in the USA, when we get hot, we go inside or go to the store and it's all air condiition. Over there it just seems a little hotter because it seems to be no air conditioner. Even if there is one, it seems like it's not strong enough...lol But the hot over there is a little different from the hot over here though, that's for sure!

Overall, it was a great experience! I took a bunch of pics. I want to go visit again, maybe 2009 ASEAN Games or maybe in 2007. Well, have fun when you go!

missjoy

sarNie Elites
thanks for sharing your experiences and pictures!!!

nice pictures reagan! wow, that whole area around Putaxay monument is really nice. It was a dirt road around there when I was there last time.

i will be in thailand for 1 week so i guess i am more worried about getting pick pocketed there.. it shouldn't be as scary in Laos.

i am sooooooooooo looking forward to the good food and fresh fruits there. last time I went, we went to street restaurant right along the mekong river and had "tum" plaintain.. you know those big bananas that are kind of tough. I thought it was going to be gross, but it was actually really good!

i heard it's going to be realllllllllllllllllllllllly hot in April too! Yikes!!!! I get hot easily too.. hopefully a lot of the places will be air conditioned.

yeah, while we are there, we plan to do some charity and go visit the center for the blind and feed them lunch. My bf's sister got her co-workers to donate money and she bought several sticks/canes made for the blind to pass out to them.

Reagan

sarNie Adult
hey what is Putaxay? lol which one is it on the photos?
here is some tips,
1. i got bitten 36 times by mozzi not my time in laos but at the one time 36 times lol. nothing but hot oil over my body. so better bring some mozzi spray or buy some right after u land in vientiane hehe
2. if you can carry tissue or toilet paper, either way lao people kinda use toilet paper as tissue and toilet paper, cause when you go public ones you gotta pay about $0.10 not much but only get like 2-3 squares

laos is beautiful depending on you though, some people are so caught up in westernize lifestyle they cant go back to there homeland at all. as you can see fro my photos they are slowly building and fixing areas in vientiane.

2009 ASEAN Games? whats that about?

Keomany

Music.heal.All
wow thanks for the picture regan laos is a beautiful place just wish i had a chance to visit it!

Power

sarNie Egg
Reagan,

Patuxay is the last pic you posted up. I took a lot of pics at that place lol. I went to Laos around early-mid june. I went on EVA Airways to Tawain then to Vietiane. You?

Reagan

sarNie Adult
thai airways, bangkok to vientiane, ohh Patuxay, isnt it Anosavari or something like that lol,
Power, did you go morning market and this ice cream restaurant? aha that where I mostly went, it was nice =)

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
i went to laos.. just came back.. 2-3 months ago..

u went ten years ago.. wow.. i think a lot of things & places changed.. across from ta-lat sao.. they're building something across.. not sure if they're done.. but yea.. just 2 let u know.

it was my first time to laos.. so i was shocked when i got there.. the weather suck..so hot!!! & i don't like the enviornment..

but i love the shopping.. love it so much!!! but too hot to shop!!!

traveltips? Bring a lot of money & don't worry about what 2 wear over there.. buy clothes over there..just bring 2 or 3.. cause hecka darn cheap..

oh yea.. bring a lot of Sunscreen.. lotion.. i'm not sure if April is hot.. but find out.. i gurantee u. you will get dark..cause i did but i got lighter now.. heehehe.. cause i bought these whitening soap.. it works!!! :) hahaaha..

i didn't get picked pocketed when i was there.. although disabled people did ask 4 $.. so yeah.. i had to.. i feel sorrie 4 them... :(

Have Fun when u go.. i think i want to go again..

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Reagan say it's verrrrrryyyyy hot in April.. good luck... :)

you're gonna want to be in tanks & shorts & sandal once u get there.. for reals..... trust me.. :) soooo hooootttt......

Reagan

sarNie Adult
I rolled up my jeans when I went, YM_gurl, do these soap works? damn wonder if its available in australia

missjoy

sarNie Elites
oh yeah, i am prepared to endure the hottttttttttt weather!!!

I would like to be in shorts and tank tops but I don't want to be too revealing.. don't want to stand out from the crowd.. then again, i went 10 years ago and maybe people are not as conservative anymore over there. Are they???

Yeah, Putaxay is the same thing as Anout Sorvaly.

When i was there, I loved Talat Sow the most. Go there almost everyday!!!

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Reagan said:
I rolled up my jeans when I went, YM_gurl, do these soap works? damn wonder if its available in australia
[post="76582"][/post]​
yup..it works.. cause when i came back from laos.. i got dar.. i was darker then my sis.. & now.. i'm lighter then her.. hahaha.. it really works.. you should try it.. :) if you guys have it in australia.. :)

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
missjoy said:
oh yeah, i am prepared to endure the hottttttttttt weather!!!

I would like to be in shorts and tank tops but I don't want to be too revealing.. don't want to stand out from the crowd.. then again, i went 10 years ago and maybe people are not as conservative anymore over there. Are they???

Yeah, Putaxay is the same thing as Anout Sorvaly.

When i was there, I loved Talat Sow the most. Go there almost everyday!!!
[post="76680"][/post]​
trust me.. them people over there.. gonna be in tnaks & shorts too.. you won't be the only one.. nothing is too revealing.. when it's hot.. :)

Casper

sarNie Egg
you need to exchange currency at the airport because they have big notes just to get you by.

check currency exchange places if they have big notes ( i've carry mine in my backpack)

ask prices before buying

ask for changes especially at the airport

do bring you own toilet paper - very very thin

try every fruits

look for sign some places photo are not permited

bring tampoo if you use

drink plenty of bottled water

take diarrhoea tablets

happy journey

ps i have great time in laos.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
oh yea.. what casper mention.. do bring ur own toilet paper.. their toilet paper are very thin... consider bringing your own.. depending on how long you go.. :)

and your stomach is going to feel a little funny.. eating their food so make sure u got... tablets.. for your stomach.. :)

amikaX

sarNie Hatchling
what whitening soap are you guys talking about?? there only one i knoe of, "tamarind soap"..not sure...but i use only for my face..kinda help clean away the grease...

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
amikaX said:
what whitening soap are you guys talking about?? there only one i knoe of, "tamarind soap"..not sure...but i use only for my face..kinda help clean away the grease...
[post="82289"][/post]​
Ponds- white beauty...