The on-going issues in Thailand/Laos

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
Society for Threatened Peoples International (STP) is extremely concerned about the situation of the Hmong in Laos and Thailand. On Friday (06/20/2008) about 5.000 out of 8.000 Lao Hmong refugees living in the Thai refugee camp Ban Huay Nam Khao left the site protesting, marching towards Bangkok in order to get to the UNHCR. (The UNHCR had been denied access to the refugee site by the Thai military and therefore could not determine the refugee status of each individual.

However, the protest march was stopped by Thai riot police and troops only 5km away from the camp. On early Sunday morning (local time) the leaders of the protest march and a group wanted by the Lao authorities was forcefully deported back to Laos. STP is extremely worried about their fate - In Laos their lives might be endangered.

Later on Sunday, another group of ~ 832 Lao Hmong refugees was deported back to Laos, as well. Up to an estimated ~ 600 Hmong have been locked up in local prisons after the protest march was resolved.

A STP informant on the ground was able to speak with one man on one of the deportation buses, who said people were contemplating suicide. There were media crews waiting for the buses in Nong Khai - but the Thai authorities were one step ahead of them - changed the route of the final deportation buses to avoid the cameras and never allowed anyone out of the buses, each of which had an armed soldier/guard; the Hmong refugee who spoke to our informant had to do so by pulling his shirt over his head to conceal what he was doing (talking to a outsider). Some of those who did not want to return but were forced to do so refused to take money from the Thai authorities, so not all were paid the 15,000 baht per family- some people received money from laos in oder to accept to return.

At present, we have no reliable information which leaders and who else was "most wanted" by the Lao govt was returned, aside from those in the buses that crossed over at about 6pm. Sadly, a range of factors appears to have lead to a short of emotional meltdown in the camp, with some unpleasant incidents prior to the big fire, and the march on friday. There appears to have been a scandal involving teenage Hmong refugee girls being taken out of the camp to be part of a sex video filmed in a local resort; later families found out what happened - some of the girls were 13 and 14 and were virtually gang-raped at the hotels, to the point where they could hardly walk, a local reporter told me yesterday. The whole experience has been a nightmare for many families, I'm sure you'd agree.

We are very concerned about the security and well-being of those repatriated.

We urge you to encourage diplomats to communicate with Vientiane to urge for diplomatic access to these recently deported refugees, and to enquire about their treatment, well-being and health.

We would furthermore like to ask you to kindly use all diplomatic instruments to convince Thailand to release the up to 600 imprisoned Hmong to the refugee camp and not to deport any other Hmong refugee before the UNHCR has had access to them to determine their refugee status.

Strong objection against these latest deportations are of upmost urgency, otherwise we assume that Thailand will continue to deport the remaining refugees also now residing in the camp.

We would very much appreciate it if you could inform us about the steps you have taken to intervene in this matter.

Sincerely yours,

Rebecca Sommer Ulrich Delius
Indigenous Department Head of Asia Department
STP USA, New York STP Germany

plain_jane

sarNie Hatchling
This is upsettting news! But I doubt that the U.S.A. or any other country will intervene soon. Afterall, it has been an ongoing issue and still they continue to ignore this topic.

cecilia

Staff member
totally agree with plain jane. i'm not into politic so i dont' know what the govt are up to but i wish there could at least be something the other countries can do to help. what have we, the hmong people, done wrong to get this ongoing sin -- this just prove that one tribe shouldnt' trust another for safety and security. It's better to not get your hand in to fight for justice when the end, you'll end up being torture and hurt decade after decade. it's so sad for me to come in and read bad news about young teenager being gang rape. i feel their pain and anger. It aggravate me so much that people with POWER do nothing to stop the other ppl with power. How can the world left alone this situation unhandle and stand aside watching all these massacre happen.

I feel so bad reading one of the paragraph here too, having our hmong people deport back to the 'unwanted' country to have their fate end like that. it's like they purposely doing all these to eliminate the Hmong ppl in Asia. If this is a movie, i would have say, they fear us alot but b/c it's reality and we can't fix reality to fantasy, the outcome had been decide that help is not on our side, we're doom to be like this until most of us dissappear on the face of the earth. :lmao:

can we all just live in peace?

thanks ceda for the news. --

cecilia

Staff member
with money,ppl still can't do anything.
i see ppl putting out container for donation. not much are given in.
even i can't help myself here but the point is. they shouldn't let us citizens worry about this issue.
it's not just a small issue here, it's a world issue, most of the countries that got involved with this war should come together and conclude this event including the US govt.
better yet, why can't UNITED NATION do anything. isn't it their job to come together to help solve the WORLD PROBLEMS?

lady_sati

sarNie Adult
WOW.

im in thailand right now,
and i didnt even hear this on the news.

see? how much the government cares.

i try to get into this, but it's not really popular to discuss.

heartbreaks.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
The US is too busy "rebuilding" IRAQ. What they need to rebuild is the lives of their fallen collegues that fought along side with them during the Secret War. I'm so disgusted, I don't even know what else to do or say, but pray for a miracle.

plain_jane

sarNie Hatchling
The US is too busy "rebuilding" IRAQ. What they need to rebuild is the lives of their fallen collegues that fought along side with them during the Secret War. I'm so disgusted, I don't even know what else to do or say, but pray for a miracle.
I definitely agree! However, I don't think this issue matters much to the U.S. It's over and done with and now their main focus is dragging on a pointless war they may not even win. Afterall, this wasn't the first time the U.S. enticed a group of people and have them carry out their dirty work. It has happened plenty of times in history and it just angers me how they will not take any responsibilty for their mistakes.

lazzy

sarNie Egg
From where I am standing, I believe we needed experts (Hmong) who know the laws well enough to deal with the gov't...but then again, the gov't in Thailand (or in Asia) is complicated to deal with. And to be more realistic, these Hmong refugee simply do not have the authority to deal with the gov't or this kind of issue. Sadly, very little is done to help them....

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
I definitely agree! However, I don't think this issue matters much to the U.S. It's over and done with and now their main focus is dragging on a pointless war they may not even win. Afterall, this wasn't the first time the U.S. enticed a group of people and have them carry out their dirty work. It has happened plenty of times in history and it just angers me how they will not take any responsibilty for their mistakes.
If the US don't win the war in Iraq, the innocent Iraqis will be facing the same fate the Hmongs did when the US withdrew.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
well, I'm not going to blame Bush.. I'm blaming the whole US government. The Secret War/Hmong Refugees happened way before his presidency. It seems like the Americans have forgotten about their collegues a long time ago when they were forced to withdraw from Vietnam.

mai92

sarNie Adult
well, I'm not going to blame Bush.. I'm blaming the whole US government. The Secret War/Hmong Refugees happened way before his presidency. It seems like the Americans have forgotten about their collegues a long time ago when they were forced to withdraw from Vietnam.
eh, me too..
i agree totally...