Thai Womans Trying to Look Like Western (White) Womans

reminiscense

sarNie Egg
buh dnt u notice i kno this a lil bit off topic dnt u notice that the white ppl american who are famous wanna become tanner u see them always wear fake fan n stuff so ya just another point
^ haha jojo!! right!! the light skinned people always wants to be tan and exotic... hmm
Yeap, a good point made. I see where you're coming from. And trust me I have a lot to say about the American society..
As one post said, it can be seen as a cause and effect type relationship. Societies influencing one another kind of thing.. and this argument is completely justifiable.
The different opinions posted in response to this ISN'T WRONG, many different people see the issue in different way and there's no one single factor driving these influences.

But here's some pics to illustrate some of my points:

Ashlee Simpson dyed her hair a darker color. Yes, it can be seen as an attempt to look Asian but if you notice her physical features, like her chest, eyes etc, she hardly looks Asian, nor has she attempted to gain Asian features. If anything American celebrities undergo surgery to get a bigger chest, sharper nose, bigger lips etc. Look at Christina Aguilara and Hilary Duff below to see my point.

Christina Aguilara dyed her hair darker as well, but it has been seen by many people as an attempt to look "different" from her rival, Britney Spears. She's back to bleach blond now, as are many actresses who go a darker shade. The reason? Maybe the scrutiny, but I just think that they go back to being blond because society sees beauty through the Western norm- which is why I think many actresses- not just Thai actresses try to gain this desired beauty.

Hilary Duff.

Thai actresses in contrast, I said actually undergo drastic transformation of achieve the physical features of American woman. Examples, bigger chest- not gonna name anyone, sharper nose etc.
What I see as disturbing is that Thai/Asian actresses don't embrace their racial beauties.

Typically Asians have narrow eyes, thin lashes, noses like Zhang Ziyi below. IS IT NECESSARY TO TRY AND GAIN THE FEATURES OF AMERICAN WOMAN?

See from Zhang Ziyi, Asians are beautiful with the features they have!
SO why go nearly blond and undergo drastic measures, like many actresses to look like Jessica Alba, Jessica Simpson etc.

And about American celebrities trying to look tan. I never thought of that. That's a good point too. Wanting what you don't have- not very typical right? lol

noungning

Heartless
now this is generalizing... NOT all asian women will have the nose like zhang ziyi... some has big nose, some has flat noses, and hence why people have to go get a job done to make it look better... now do u think a leading actress would be viewed although she had talent but a flat/huge nose, buck tooth/huge gap, or had a huge beauty mark on their forehead? bottom line is no. regardless of how much talent u have, if u don't have the looks, no one will support u, besides ur family & friends.

and it's weird... did ashlee simpson got her nose fixed to look more western? no... it's to make herself look better, which was a great choice.

reminiscense

sarNie Egg
now this is generalizing... NOT all asian women will have the nose like zhang ziyi... some has big nose, some has flat noses, and hence why people have to go get a job done to make it look better... now do u think a leading actress would be viewed although she had talent but a flat/huge nose, buck tooth/huge gap, or had a huge beauty mark on their forehead? bottom line is no. regardless of how much talent u have, if u don't have the looks, no one will support u, besides ur family & friends.

and it's weird... did ashlee simpson got her nose fixed to look more western? no... it's to make herself look better, which was a great choice.
About Ashlee Simpson, it's arguable about why she got her nose fixed. Yes, it's obviously to look better, but she keeps going back to get it fixed, re fixed, etc. Lastly she gets injections and so forth, why would someone who already looks good keep getting surgery if not to measure up to the Western norm of beauty?

And about not getting support if you don't look good. Take a look at American actress Jennifer Hudson, from the picture below. She's a larger actress, her teeths aren't completely perfect but SHE WON THE GRAMMY!!! She beat out Beyonce. She's not your typical American actress, with blond hair, slim body, perfect chest, nose, teeths etc.

And back to Thai actresses, yes Aump P looks good but she can also REALLY ACT- I'll credit her for that. Yes, perhaps you need both the looks and the talents to be in the industry but can't you have black hair, brown eyes etc and still be popular?
Seems like we're shifted from Thai actresses trying to meet the Western norm of beauty to a completely different argument here lol. Oh well.

And my apologies, I was generalizing about Asian features and I did say I was generalizing- I said "typically"- Anyways that wasn't the point. The point is Asians have beautiful features with whichever nose, eyes they may have and I said there wasn't the need to mimic the features of Western woman BUT THEY DO because of the Western influence.

ANYWAYS I SAID ENOUGH ON THIS- really it gets tiring. I understand that people don't agree, aren't gonna agree and maybe some see where I'm at getting at- and that's cool.
If you think you got an argument to add to this discussion feel free to response but I probably wont respond back, cause the counter argument is probably somewhere in my other responses.

nolee

sarNie Adult
I like this topic lol. very debatable. Mew Lailita isn't so pretty especially compared to Aum, Noon, Pinky, etc, but she has manyyyy supporters. There are LOTS of people who are unattractive that are very talented. But everyone is just superficial these days and just wanna see some eyecandy regardless of talent.

karen_moo

sarNie Adult
One thing i needa point out, iono if anyone already did. but ACTORS AND SINGERS in thailand nowadays are trying to be like KOREAN or JAPANESE singers or something? THE HAIR CUT, THE DRESSING, EEVERYTHING! No offense to Golf And Mike, but they do doooooo too much. Like they could of left it like their 1st album which was awwesome. But After than they became so KOREAN AND JAPANESE. its like.. dude.. you're thai. ya know what i mean?

karen_moo

sarNie Adult
But one nang ek i LOVEEEEEE is P' NOON WORANUCH. shes awesome. Hopefully shes natural. AHAH :]

mmemories

sarNie Hatchling
Sociologist Carrie Smith actually wrote on this issue that we're talking about now.
Here's a link if by any chance anyone is at all interested lol http://bad.eserver.org/issues/2006/76/raceandbeauty.html

A few of her points I find strong:

The White norm of beauty inevitably led to various attempts – sometimes humorous, sometimes drastic, but somehow always smacking of a sense of sadness – by people of color to look as White as they could. Some people got nose jobs, while others straightened their hair. Skin bleaching products and treatments – so vigorously advertised

Asians living in Korea, China, and Southeast Asia as well, some took “smaller steps� – as exemplified by Asians who dyed their hair blond or wore colored contact lenses. Anyone who’s ever taken social science or Women’s Studies classes in college has undoubtedly learned about the many negative impacts of trying to live up to the White norm of beauty by people of color. Little girls of color grow up learning that they will never look like Barbie, and that the world around them will never look upon them as beautiful. Many of these girls go on to suffer low self-esteem or worse yet, self-hatred. There were some hopeful signs though.

I just happen to be taking Women's Studies to fulfill an elective and this article was brought up- reminded me of this forumn so I decided to share.

I admire those people who can keep a straight head through all the media advertisements of beauty. But others- I can relate do sometimes buy into the influences and really just wanna look and feel good- thats not too wrong is it?

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
One thing i needa point out, iono if anyone already did. but ACTORS AND SINGERS in thailand nowadays are trying to be like KOREAN or JAPANESE singers or something? THE HAIR CUT, THE DRESSING, EEVERYTHING! No offense to Golf And Mike, but they do doooooo too much. Like they could of left it like their 1st album which was awwesome. But After than they became so KOREAN AND JAPANESE. its like.. dude.. you're thai. ya know what i mean?
About thai actors and singers going korean... LOL well that's simple.. it's called "marketing" for one thing the fans and stuff are into Korean stars now a days ... so to pull back their fan they are simply going for the look that their fan wants =]

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Sociologist Carrie Smith actually wrote on this issue that we're talking about now.
Here's a link if by any chance anyone is at all interested lol http://bad.eserver.org/issues/2006/76/raceandbeauty.html

A few of her points I find strong:

The White norm of beauty inevitably led to various attempts – sometimes humorous, sometimes drastic, but somehow always smacking of a sense of sadness – by people of color to look as White as they could. Some people got nose jobs, while others straightened their hair. Skin bleaching products and treatments – so vigorously advertised

Asians living in Korea, China, and Southeast Asia as well, some took “smaller steps� – as exemplified by Asians who dyed their hair blond or wore colored contact lenses. Anyone who’s ever taken social science or Women’s Studies classes in college has undoubtedly learned about the many negative impacts of trying to live up to the White norm of beauty by people of color. Little girls of color grow up learning that they will never look like Barbie, and that the world around them will never look upon them as beautiful. Many of these girls go on to suffer low self-esteem or worse yet, self-hatred. There were some hopeful signs though.

I just happen to be taking Women's Studies to fulfill an elective and this article was brought up- reminded me of this forumn so I decided to share.

I admire those people who can keep a straight head through all the media advertisements of beauty. But others- I can relate do sometimes buy into the influences and really just wanna look and feel good- thats not too wrong is it?

One sociologist opinion doesn't cover everyone's views and opinions. Like honestly. The thing is stars are business people and ventures also. They do what appeals to their audience... if what you're saying I mean if what reminiscene is saying about how thai stars wanna look western is true then I would have to say that it's because of the audience and the fans .... true it affects the girls and stuff culturally, but if you look at the economy and government as a whole then you'd see morals and cultural value doesn't save anyone much now a days. Business is the building block of the world at the moment.

Hmmm and Reminiscene and mmemories are you girls friends? cause you two do seem very similar in more ways that I must not speak off ^___^

mmemories

sarNie Hatchling
Sociologists dont just get to post thier works without approval and without it being peer reviewed, its not just one opinion- at least thats what my teacher said.

last time I checked I have a boyfriend, no girlfriend for me heheh :p

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Sociologists dont just get to post thier works without approval and without it being peer reviewed, its not just one opinion- at least thats what my teacher said.

last time I checked I have a boyfriend, no girlfriend for me heheh :p
I mean I know that about sociologists, but the thing is what they write is based on their own studies and research I'm sure that they don't write what someone else tell them to write? but like we all have said everyone has their own opinion? Just because someone is labelled as a sociologist and believes in something doesn't mean that we all have to believe it right? and :p when i said friend I mean just normal friend nothing like boyfriend girlfriend ja. I just meant your two ideas were similar

LOL P'Tina!
LOL n'nai whats so funny? :p you know darN well what I am referring too hahahaha... hhahahaha and you know me I dare what others not do and say LOL

ChenrukNote

Goddess
For some reason I just felt it was directed at me- maybe some heat of the moment thing.
People usually point fingers at others for things that they themselves do.
Not sweating anything and if it wasn't directed at me, then my apologies.
Haha yes, I like the fart comment. Nice way to relive some tension :lol:
I definitely don't point fingers unless I know for a fact, but it seems you are getting all offended thinking I'm pointing my fingers at you or am I? IP addresses sure say a lot. ^_^

reminiscense

sarNie Egg
I definitely don't point fingers unless I know for a fact, but it seems you are getting all offended thinking I'm pointing my fingers at you or am I? IP addresses sure say a lot. ^_^
You're entitled to think what you may. What are we arguing for again? Last time I remembered I gave my apologies, apparently it wasn't enough. Oh well, what can one do.

mmemories

sarNie Hatchling
I mean I know that about sociologists, but the thing is what they write is based on their own studies and research I'm sure that they don't write what someone else tell them to write? but like we all have said everyone has their own opinion? Just because someone is labelled as a sociologist and believes in something doesn't mean that we all have to believe it right? and :p when i said friend I mean just normal friend nothing like boyfriend girlfriend ja. I just meant your two ideas were similar

hmmm dunno how to response to that. Similar ideas? Well, I never thought it was crime for that lol.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I'm not angry at you if thats what you think. Also, if it does not pertain to you then don't apologize. Its really unnecessary to apologize to me. I don't take anything to the heart. I don't go to sleep frustrated at night thinking about this topic so you should not worry. Thanks for apologizing though :D.

SaReNiE

Leave Me Alone!!!,
I've been browsing through this topic for the past few days, and i find this very annoying, but wont be pointing anyone out yet, but if i do see someone posting with a different user name with the same IP address i will be warning u, and possibly suspend you for a few days

i know that some of you are trying to prove a point and all but do you necessarily have to prove your point by using two accounts and agreeing with yourself? if thats the case i find it really stupid, i don't wanna go around just warning people and all, and people saying that i have no reason, so heres your warning...

If i see you continuously posting with different user names i will warn you, whether you like it or not... :D

SaReNie

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Hun I never said it was a crime nor did I intiate that I just said that you two had similar ideas .... like nong nai aka chenruknote and I have similar ideas.... you're thinking to much into things yah raun tua see... I mean I'm not trying to offend you or anything when I said that you two have similar ideas it was merely an observation, but you are making it as though I like cussed you out or something....