Teaching English to Buddhist Monks

che3ri0s

sarNie Egg
Ok, I basically just started teaching english to 2 monks. They come everyday on the weekdays for at least an hour and a half. They know a few english, but they don't know how to reply back. Like a question is asked and it's hard for them to answer back fast. Gosh, I just want to know if anyone knows what i should teach. I've taught basic stuff like shapes, colors, numbers, kitchen stuff...etc. You get the picture.

Problem is having a conversation to where they can speak English. The sites I've been on all have the same stuff like "My name is ______."

Recommendations please?

Wai Wai Noodles

Egg Drop Soup ( ~ _ * )
WOW, mucho props to you, Che3ri0s :)

Well, the monks are beginners and it's good that you are starting with the basics.

However, with that being said, you cant expect them to give a fast response because they are still trying to comprehend with the newly taught language.

If they can distinguish between the colors, shapes, and etc. then I would gradually move on to everyday conversation.

Again, this doesnt have to be very long. You can start with a few words in a sentence and then add a word or two as time progresses.

Do they know how to respond to "How are you?" if so, then that's great...moving along.

Hmmm...do monks do their own shopping? If so, then maybe you can teach them how to ask how much something is or where it is at.

Especially, when they are out in public and needing to use the bathroom...knowing how to ask that is critical right there :p

You can do compare and contrast word pairs:

Doesnt necessarily have to be any mind teasers, but you know...ask what they LIKE or DONT LIKE

Just simple things like that can potentially help boost up their comprehension and hopefully, will sound less foreign to them.

Lots of time and effort are involved, but you know the feelings of accomplisment are unforgettable when you help the less fortunates achieve their goals.

che3ri0s

sarNie Egg
Yea, they shop for like hardware stuff at Lowes. They use it to build things at the temple. It's pretty hard because my translation are mixed laos-thai. Like if I don't know a word in laos, I just say it in Thai...and they're like omg. lol. But yea, they know how to respond to "How are you.." Well actually, they ask me...and I just answer to them.

One of them made a "zero" complete zero in spelling. lol I guess cause he skips class once or twice. They're funny. I've asked what they liked and disliked. Right now I'm on nouns, which is really confusing them. I guess I could teach a little slower.

Thanks for the tip. =) Any more? hehe.

Wai Wai Noodles

Egg Drop Soup ( ~ _ * )
You're welcome!

Wow, a complete zero...hmmm, maybe he was too busy meditating at the time of the lecture... ;)

LOL...reminds me of myself whenever I am caught in the middle of boring moments in class>>>my mind starts to wander off -_-

Hmmm...if you are working with nouns...

Why dont you try pictures? Showing the spelling and the pics makes it easier for them to remember.

First, I would show it, say it, and spell it.

For the next class meeting or after a few rounds of practicing:

Ask them to tell you what the objects are, then gradually move onto its spelling.

Visual effects works like wonder. B)

che3ri0s

sarNie Egg
Yea, thanks for the advice. Flash cards are a plus. I just started using the printers at school, since that is what my tuition is paid for =P

I decided to print a s*** load of stuff and show them. I constantly have to give them soda to drink or candy so they can stay awake. I think I find myself teaching a little too fast. But if I keep going over it, it gets boring. blah. Well, thanks for the help. Appreciate it. =)

noungning

Heartless
wow awesome!!! lol noodles seems like the bathroom is very critical to your life hahahahahah omg and we must bring the bathroom thread back because i have stories from thailand!!! OMG talk about sanitary eww lol!

anyway, i give you alot of points for putting in the effort for teaching monks english. i have a hard time teaching little kids nevermind older and being monks, the barrior of communication in lao is quite big, but the english language, you can't really talk proper, proper to show more than normal respect.

teaching everyday things, what they do in a day should be most relevant. like i wake up in the early morning and such and such. i'm not great as a teacher lol.

Wai Wai Noodles

Egg Drop Soup ( ~ _ * )
Che3ri0s, not a problem! :)

LOL...just wondering how your recent classes went and did they sleep or learn anything new from the previous lessons?

Ahhh...well, dont bore them to death with lots of repetition...ehh, make 2-3 the max. and go from there until you meet again ;)

Did you recruit new students or is it just the two?

wow awesome!!! lol noodles seems like the bathroom is very critical to your life hahahahahah omg and we must bring the bathroom thread back because i have stories from thailand!!! OMG talk about sanitary eww lol!
Ning, Ning, Ning!!!! My Swedish Fish :wub:

LOLOL!!! Yes, it is :lol: Buahahaha! I not too fond of constipation, wait, I dont think anyone is :p

I'm waiting for you to go dig that old thread and share your POOPY experiences from Thailand...ahhh, I'm anticipating...LOLOL!!! :yahoo:

Now, who's that thrilled to discuss of such a topic? Blah!

Me and toiliet mouth / mind! =)

che3ri0s

sarNie Egg
Naw, i will be teaching 2 monks only. Actually, I was suppose to teach my cousins from Laos english when they come live with my family because their parents (my aunt and uncle) died. They're living with my grandma, and she's really sick. So basically, my parents decided to adopt all three of my cousins. Adoption paper work are slowwww!

Yea, teaching the monks is like practice to me because then I will know how to teach and what to teach.

Do you guys know a site or watever, to buy like a talking dictionary in thai-english. I checked out ebay but idk if I should buy it. Oh yea, one of the monks want to buy a laptop for like $400 and below. I checked around but I guess I'll see what I can do.

Recently, my lessons are getting ok. I decided to break up the time since I only teach an hour and a half. I take advantage of the schools printer and print out stuff for them ...like worksheets with pictures for them to write out when I tell them. It's difficult because you know how they are in a high standard than you....and when I walk and I have to becareful not only that, I always wear a sweater to cover myself. Jeez.

But yea, they've had their tests...one of them spelled "April" --- "Apple"... lol There's alot of mispell and pronunciation going on. haha. Overall, it's going well.

noungning

Heartless
wow cool to read all this. well laptop for 400 and below, sometimes dell has really good deals, but i don't know about hitting the below 400 mark.

thai-english dictionaries are so expensive here... while they're quite cheaper in thailand lol.

noodles... gosh i'm so lazy to dig hahaha :lol:

Wai Wai Noodles

Egg Drop Soup ( ~ _ * )
LOL...Ohhh, a Hi-Tech monk...I see :lol:

He's surely is willing to learn the "fastest" way alright.

Hmmm...a laptop that's $400 and below? I'm not really a good shopper in that area...

Have you tried your local stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart & etc? Sometimes they might have those power buys...ohh, like on Black Friday!

Like, Ning said...Dell or Ebay?

Lmao! che3ri0s, a sweater seems OK since it's winter time...

Why dont you just wear a normal long sleeves or something if it feels that uncomfy with the sweater?

LOL...whenever I go to the temples with my parents, I'm always somewhat paranoid that I might do something that is "unaccepted" that I, myself might not be aware of...

So, I try to stay put Hahaha...keeps me out of trouble. I know what you mean about the rules and standards that we must abide by.

Hahaha Ning! HYMP!!! Too lazy? Well, let me make use of that "search" button again...

LOL you better post...I'll be waiting once I dig it up ^_^

*NOTE* LOL>>>I wont edit my last post, but I've noticed how fobby I sounded =)

noungning

Heartless
hey i found a deal u might be able to show the monk... take a look http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...&oc=dndada1

Apply Coupon Code KFG$R17FM9B$V7 at check-out for 10% off (expires 12/7 5:59 AM CT or after 3200 uses)

coupon is up there...

but he should've went shopping for a deal for a notebook on black friday, because it was only 397 at best buy for an HP notebook. and there were deals all over. i think this one comes to 500 and change

and another one but u can't use the coupon on this one http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...p;c=US&l=EN it's for 550

che3ri0s

sarNie Egg
on black friday, he told someone to go buy it for him because i was out of town...on my way to houston.....anyways, it sold out pretty fast. i had already looked it up online blackfridayinfo.com and it had a list of things on sale. Man, I wanted a Compaq laptop for myself also. Well, the person who went wait since 3 in the morning didnt get it....she called and told him that it was sold out, he was like "Go to walmart! HURRY!" lol. lord, he still doesn't understand the whole deal about black friday. Walmart is killer with all those grown ups beating each other up for toys.

In the end, he didn't get a laptop. I guess, I'll show him that website you found. I'm pretty sure that's a good deal.

Thanks. =)

LOL...Ohhh, a Hi-Tech monk...I see
Oh he's not the only one, the other monk went and bought a new cell phone. he got rid of his razor....he also has a laptop, portable dvd player, and talking-dictionary. The other monk wants to be hi-tech but has little money i guess.

Their english, idk i guess it's improving. I taught them the story of "The Hare and the Tortoise" ....one of the monks thought I was talking about him as the tortoise because he writes slow. haha.

iamnowhere

sarNie Adult
Bless your heart, che3ri0s. You're going to so wealthy in your next life! lol.

TV is the one of best way to pick another language. good luck!

che3ri0s

sarNie Egg
aww thanks but i didn't act quick enough ...my laptop was down for the whole weekk grrrrr.

one of the monks just recently bought a car. i was in awe but it was a used Honda. not bad. the other monk has been skipping class due to alot of work at the temple.

they always bring their dog to come play when it's their break time. Once one of the monks wanted to name the dog after me because when I teach, i fuss alot.... well it's not fussing but like i'd say "i just wrote it down...don't you remember?"

and they'd respond by saying "hoyy, we're old....just be patient." lol

aww thanks but i didn't act quick enough ...my laptop was down for the whole weekk grrrrr.

one of the monks just recently bought a car. i was in awe but it was a used Honda. not bad. the other monk has been skipping class due to alot of work at the temple.

they always bring their dog to come play when it's their break time. Once one of the monks wanted to name the dog after me because when I teach, i fuss alot.... well it's not fussing but like i'd say "i just wrote it down...don't you remember?"

and they'd respond by saying "hoyy, we're old....just be patient." lol

che3ri0s

sarNie Egg
Good news. Kuba finally got a laptop. He has a Toshiba. Today he brought it over so he can learn how to use it. lol

Apparently, he decided to pay half of it and the other half was paid through donations from others.

He's using it to type out the laos letters and print them out to trace on woods. Good for him.

Anyways, teaching is still the same...however I did manage to make it fun. Hi-Tech style by using Powerpoints and downloading clips of people speaking in a conversation for them to listen to...

Not only that, I would use flashcards and they would write it down on an erasable board to show me if it's spelled right. Almost like a game show.

That's it for now. =)

noungning

Heartless
lol that's good that he did buy the laptop, this is like the best season to buy electronics becase they beat each other up with those deals i'm telling u!

well teaching takes so much patients, i give u many kudos for doing it!