Teaching English Overseas...

Greensmurf

sarNie Hatchling
Well, I am thinking about going overseas and teach some english... problem is... do they take asians? I mean, I want to go to either Japan or Indonesia... I would love to go to Laos but they dont have any programs there @_@. So, do you all think its possible for an asian to make it as an english teacher in japan or indonesia? Or will they only take the whites?

yeah. they would take asian because my sister friend she is chinese and is teaching overseas right now in Seoul, South Korea. last year she went to Japan to teach english. so yeah. im thinking of doing that too. hehe. ^_^

noungning

Heartless
well i have a friend who applied and he got rejected because he isn't white. i guess it depends on where you're applying to? but he's quite smart and finished school, but then he got rejected when he went to the interview and he found out it was because he isn't white enough. they needed someone to influence the people to want to be white?? i don't know

Quiet-ness

sarNie Hatchling
I didn't know the color of your skin is a factor in the decision. Although, it doesn't seem realistic. Are you guys sure that it was the color of the skin that he didn't make it? Perhaps it was because of something else. I think programs would accept anyone as long as they were taught in America and has a degree. The English language and the American education are both great attributes that they look in a person for such programs.

I know someone who is nonWhite and she is teaching English in Taiwan. As for Japan, that is one of the countries that people would more likely accept English teachers. A classmate of mine is planning to teach English over there after graduation I believe.

noungning

Heartless
yes i'm pretty sure because that was the reasoning behind his rejection when he called into ask why they've never sought him further for the teaching.

darvil

sarNie Adult
You guys don't understand Thailand.

It IS because he wasn't white. Thats one problem with Thailand. Its about perception and not reality. But I can't really blame the school board for not hiring ning's friend. Thats because I know they have to do what people want. Thats because the customers demand it. It really doesn't matter what kinda white it is, depending on the specific school (some will more likely hire Australians for example). Even the old HS I attended practice this, although they're not about the white skin but rather whether they are Christians or not.

twinklestar

sarNie Egg
i have a friend who works for the jet program in their recruitment dept n she told me that they prefer white ppl over azns however i doubt that that's the only reason why they would reject u my advice is to apply NEwayz b/c u never know what the outcome will be :) good luck

Greensmurf

sarNie Hatchling
That's what Im afraid of... i mean seriously. Most Asian countries would rather have 'whites' teaching english because its considered THEIR language.. I'm so nervous to even apply due to that fact. If I get rejected... I'll probably feel so defeated and dumped... i don't know. But I would love to teach it!

rukmos

sarNie Adult
Don't let fear stand in your desires!!!!! when I was a senior in high school, I applied to go teach english overseas in Japan and I got excepted. The experience was amazing and teaching the students were great. They were very courtiest and quite different from amercan students due to upbringing and values. Before that though, I had to take a hard english test and I had to score almost a perfect score to finally get excepted after my pre-accpetence.

I would say that you should go for it and apply, you never know.

Quiet-ness

sarNie Hatchling
You guys don't understand Thailand.

It IS because he wasn't white. Thats one problem with Thailand. Its about perception and not reality. But I can't really blame the school board for not hiring ning's friend. Thats because I know they have to do what people want. Thats because the customers demand it. It really doesn't matter what kinda white it is, depending on the specific school (some will more likely hire Australians for example). Even the old HS I attended practice this, although they're not about the white skin but rather whether they are Christians or not.
I don't know if you'll be able to answer my question, but I'll give it a try to see your insight. Why do you think that is the reason? Are most of the programs affiliated with some Christian organization?

darvil

sarNie Adult
I don't know if you'll be able to answer my question, but I'll give it a try to see your insight. Why do you think that is the reason? Are most of the programs affiliated with some Christian organization?
Sorry this is a late response. I'll try to give you an elaborate answer.

Some international schools in Thailand are basically Christian schools. The one I went to is called EIS and its an SDA (seven day adventist) school. In this kind of school they normally try to recruit teachers from universities affiliated with SDA beliefs first. I have seen non adventist teachers but they're so rare and they're normally white.

On most other schools, its important for your skin to be white. Thats because they have an image to uphold. I think Bangkok Patana HS is an Australian based school so they would normally hire Australians to teach there. One of my teacher was fired for swimming on saturday (LOL) and he got a job there. He's a white Australian. Now he is making alot of money.

For some reason Thais just think that only a white guy can speak a white language. Its just the way it is. BTW if you're a black guy.. good luck finding a teaching job there lol. At least in prominent schools.

Anyway if you don't believe me just look at the teacher lists (if you can) of top international schools in bangkok. Its mostly all white.

I mean obviously there can be exceptions to this rule, but lets not kid ourselves.

iamnowhere

sarNie Adult
Sorry this is a late response. I'll try to give you an elaborate answer.

Some international schools in Thailand are basically Christian schools. The one I went to is called EIS and its an SDA (seven day adventist) school. In this kind of school they normally try to recruit teachers from universities affiliated with SDA beliefs first. I have seen non adventist teachers but they're so rare and they're normally white.

On most other schools, its important for your skin to be white. Thats because they have an image to uphold. I think Bangkok Patana HS is an Australian based school so they would normally hire Australians to teach there. One of my teacher was fired for swimming on saturday (LOL) and he got a job there. He's a white Australian. Now he is making alot of money.

For some reason Thais just think that only a white guy can speak a white language. Its just the way it is. BTW if you're a black guy.. good luck finding a teaching job there lol. At least in prominent schools.

Anyway if you don't believe me just look at the teacher lists (if you can) of top international schools in bangkok. Its mostly all white.

I mean obviously there can be exceptions to this rule, but lets not kid ourselves.

That's so wrong.... I wonder if other countries feel of the same way. My friend is teaching english in Korea and he's chinese american (3rd generation) So I guess there's hope....definitely not going to thailand if they feel that way...

noungning

Heartless
gosh sorry for the late viewing but yes darvil made a point, if you're black and looking for a job in bangkok, good luck. it's hard to even be a dishwasher if you're white.

thai ppl and their national only policy kicks. [shut up darvil]

darvil

sarNie Adult
That's so wrong.... I wonder if other countries feel of the same way. My friend is teaching english in Korea and he's chinese american (3rd generation) So I guess there's hope....definitely not going to thailand if they feel that way...
Well to be honest.. I was just specifying the really high paying job. I'm pretty sure you can still get hired in the more medium and low paying jobs teaching english. As long as you can prove some points (like if you're american and with a degree or something).

The money is at teaching at expensive schools but hey.. you can still do pretty well teaching at the midsize schools.

Quiet-ness

sarNie Hatchling
You would think Asian countries would hire more of the educated Asian-Americans as teachers simply because of similar culture values and manners. Am I wrong to say this?

noungning

Heartless
but the truth is there aren't there to support asian people. they are there wanting a role model--"white-american" to teach the students