Should Hmong wear Hmong clothes to Hmong New Year?

kalaya

sarNie Egg
Well, basically the title explains it all... Should we, hmong people, wear hmong clothes to Hmong New Year?

The hmong tradition is going away and i think we should wear our culture clothes. Each year less and less people wear hmong clothes and toss ball... we should wear our hmong traditional clothes and toss ball still. although some of us do not agree to wear or toss ball, we should try to appreciate who we are...cuz even some people wish to be hmong wich they're not...

agirl

sarNie Egg
Why not? Isn't it called the Hmong New Year? Nowadays we would only get the chance to wear Hmong cloths on certain ocassions. Therefore, I say we should wear it!

jekki2chipo

sarNie Hatchling
Well, i guess we should. I mean it's the only time to wear it right. But since the Hmong new years have gotten so dull and boring, I don't wear it unless my mommy makes me, which is like once a year (it's a violation of my 8th amendment, cruel & unusual punishment), seriously, cause i only go to the hmong new year to watch my bro & dad play soccer and eat the papaya salad, and you can't be screaming and eatting papaya salad in hmong clothes can you?

Keori

sarNie Egg
HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Truthfully, I used to hate wearing hmong clothes to the new year. But, as I get older and in college right now, I feel like I want to wear it. Here's my reason: 1) We are hmong...respect that you are gifted with it either you like it or not...some people WISHES to be hmong...2)It's only once a year...why not wear it? It's not gonna hurt you. 3) When you get older, whose gonna fix it for you? Your mom is probably not gonna be there forever. Live life...give it up for your mom's happiness. 4) Hmong tradition of the New Year is disappearing...we should bring it back. It used to have tons of people dressing up in hmong clothes....but lately, there hasn't...and I miss those day. 5) As a guy friend mention to me and my friends one day....girls look better in hmong clothes cause the guys never see it on the girls but once a year only.

Yep...absolutely wear it! I am!!!! BE PROUD....OF YOUR ETHIC!

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
^Yep, exactly! Show your Hmong pride by wearing Hmong clothes ;D I always wear them every year to at least one of the three days (or is it two days?)

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
Hmong new year is not really a new year without Hmong clothes...back in the days, new year was a time to relax...to have fun...get out of those dirty farming clothes and get dress up...it was the only time of the year where Hmong people can really get a break...Now the younger generations are taking it for granted because they don't have to work that hard...so they don't appreciate new years as much...

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
Yeah I think they should wear to their clothing to the New Year... I like the Hmong jewlry alot especially their necklace... and the clothes with those heavy jiggle coings....

carmen

sarNie Egg
yes... hmong people should wear hmong clothing to the hmong new year... it's only once a year.

HECK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Truthfully, I used to hate wearing hmong clothes to the new year. But, as I get older and in college right now, I feel like I want to wear it. Here's my reason: 1) We are hmong...respect that you are gifted with it either you like it or not...some people WISHES to be hmong...2)It's only once a year...why not wear it? It's not gonna hurt you. 3) When you get older, whose gonna fix it for you? Your mom is probably not gonna be there forever. Live life...give it up for your mom's happiness. 4) Hmong tradition of the New Year is disappearing...we should bring it back. It used to have tons of people dressing up in hmong clothes....but lately, there hasn't...and I miss those day. 5) As a guy friend mention to me and my friends one day....girls look better in hmong clothes cause the guys never see it on the girls but once a year only.
I agree with all your reason as to why we hmong should wear hmong clothing to the hmong new year...

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
i agree with all of you...hmong new year only comes once a year....why not wearing it! i always wear them, but not all seven days....'cause the coin is heavy...well, if you wear them alot like me... :lol:

Chewy

Natty's #1 FAN!
yes we should wear it because you are HMONG, but also that your mom bust her butt to get those clothes for you.........i know every mom want to see their daughters dress up....make them proud girls....i noticed that a lot of girls now doesn't toss ball anymore.....i really enjoy it....**not the part where old guys trying to mack on you, but i still think that shouldn't be the reason...***

i know that HMONG new year is not what it used to be....we don't celebrate the new year...but more like a business deal...and i hate that....we should take time to enjoy friends and family not doing business....and we're not suppose to spend $$ too...gosh we are really forgetting our tradition.... <_< :(

moonfaerrie

sarNie Hatchling
I live in Mich and I gotta tell you, as each year past by, less and less people wear Hmong clothes. Right now you hardly even see anyone wear Hmong clothes. let me tell you about the last two new years here. The one from two years ago was outside, and guess how big the place you're suppose to toss ball is? it's not even 20X20 feet. It's so small. When my mom and aunts made me and my cousins toss ball, we're the only ones and there's hardly enough room for us to toss. We were the only ones, there's like 8 of us only for almost an hour before two other people come to toss ball. When we left there were six other people tossing balls. I thought it was the sorriest Hmong new year ever. Then last year, they did it inside and I don't see anyone tossing balls. Most of the kids have a ball but they're just tossing it around or bouncing it on the floor. I feel even more sorry. The Hmong tradidtion is quickly fading away. I admit I used to hate almost eveyrthing Hmong, don't speak Hmong much, don't listen to Hmong music much (I did listen to luj yaj all the times though), don't eat Hmong food, hate wearing Hmong clothes the most. But the last couple of years, as I see less and less people do hmong things, I started to regret it. I want Hmong to keep up their tradition even if they don't live in Laos or thailand or China anymore. I now want to wear Hmong clothes, I now want to eat Hmong food, I now love Hmong music, (still got a little something about the movies though). I hope this year will be different from the last two years.

Mee_123

sarNie Hatchling
I agree with you girls all the way...we should wear hmong clothes to the new year...its only once a year so take advantage of it.

mainira

sarNie Hatchling
i really think that wearing hmong is very important because it show who we are....i agree with all of you....it is so sad to see that teen don't appreciate it but i still love it very much....i think that hmong clothes is very unique and special....that's all that i want to say :wub:

cecilia

Staff member
^the clothese are indeed..very beautiful..and very unique...that i agree.!

but i guess...depend on what you guys think..but to me..i tired of wearing them..12 years of wearing them..i have enough..but anyway..up to what you believe..i'm too lazy to go to New Year..so i stop wearing them for 3-4 years..lol.....but really..depend..if you mom want you to wear it..make them proud and wear it..at least i did to mine..lol...though..the traditional clothese are HEAVY.. :blink:

azngurlo07

sarNie Hatchling
lol i just made a kid book about this situation. Well I think that every hmong girl should wear and be proud of hmong clothes. It makes us very unique. Its just wearing once a year soo why not wear it. I wear hmong clothes every year and I love it!

1-lUv3-y0u

Sticky Rice
well i think that you should wear hmong clothes to the new year thats what the hmong new year is about like about you can dress up in your religous clothes and it wouldn't matter besides nowadays hmong are starting to lose their language andnot a lot of people barely know how to speak hmong or read, write it anymore

aychenneres

sarNie Hatchling
i think it's up to the person whether they want to wear the clothes or not. "clothes don't make a person," so just because i wear the clothes doesn't mean i'm traditional or respect the culture. if they're really serious about people dressing up in hmong clothes, they should make the entrance fee free for those who do dress up in hmong clothes as an incentive.