Saeng Daet Lae Fon (complete)

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
It's such a sweet love confession! Can I assure that Nadech's character isn't boring at all and I love the way his character progresses throughout each chapter :) Hmm I'm guessing the reason why he wants the photo album is because he's going to fill the rest of it up with the pictures he took of her at Khao Yai. jjinxx jah, can i be selfish and please ask for another romance chapter? :crush:

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
Am I crazy or what? Even though jjinxx said she might be slow in updating this week. I still come here to check for update every day.

I think I will go back and read my favorite chapters again, but wait, every charpter is my favorite. I might as well start from the beginning.

jjinxx, enjoy your time with family and friends. You've been very good to us and we really appreciate you!

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
You're not the only one Vimalee. I stalk both threads of SDLF here and Yadech forum on a daily basis for updates. You can't help it because the story is too addicting. Thank you so much na jjinxx! I know you're busy with family over so you don't have time to actually sit down and write but we all will wait patiently. I hope the sweet teaser of GRGR will motivate you to add more cute scenes between Yadech. I'm still replaying the video in my head, the hug from behind, nose kissing, when Yaya jumps into his arms, the forehead kiss ahhhh! My mind is off to Saichon and Nangfah land ... . :cloud9:

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Chapter 29 Broken Anchor

Monday. The day of when their special union will take place would be determined.

That morning, she stepped out into the hall and met Nadech waiting for her. He cleared his throat and held his chin high. That was when she noticed his tie was undone. Yaya bit back a bemused grin and simply quirked her brow inquiringly. “Don’t you know how to do your tie?”

“Humor me.”

So she stood toe to toe with him and began to wrap his tie into the right knot. When she was done, she smoothed his suit jacket over his shirt. The entire time, he had held his hands behind his back, simply enjoying his morning dose of her with his eyes.

“There. Done.”

He glanced down. “Hm. You did a good job.”

Even though they had kissed more passionately before, it felt magnificent to see her surprise when he pecked her gently.

“See you at three.” He paused. “I love you.”

-------------
The clock indicated to Nadech that it was time to leave work. On his way out, he whistled a cheerful tune, making Cherman’s jaw drop in astonishment.

It was hard to imagine where he would be right now if for some reason he had not given in and made a proposal to Khun Arich for his daughter’s hand. For sure he would be depressingly searching for his mom and sister, but Nadech would not have even a sliver of that blessed ray of sunlight in the form of his once-dreaded fiancée to lead him out of the dark corners of his sorrowful heart. And what if love had not turned its back on his parents and he had grown up without matronly deprivation? Would his father have forced an ultimatum on him? Would he have ever met Yaya? He couldn’t convince himself that losing two very important people made up for finding one very important person. So maybe the fates had simply twisted his life a little, to meet sadness and then reunite with a lot of happiness, because Nadech had not given up hope yet of find THEM. And when he finally did, his family would be complete.

Just as he was heading in the direction of the temple, Nadech received a phone call from Oh.

“Hey, have you seen the stamped papers for the building designs? I need them to confirm some agreements with the board members before they okay Khun Arich’s team to start construction.”

“Last I remember, father had the finalized copy. I can get them for you.”

“Don’t you have an appointment?”

Nadech checked his watch. He was early with plenty of time to stop back at the company for Oh.

“I’ll make it.” The sooner this new branch was fully under way, the better. Thank goodness for Mario, who had a natural flair for the business and was always reliable to get things done when put in charge.

Nadech rounded the streets towards the Phraisong Residence. His dad was also at work, so he let himself into the office and pulled open the drawer that held important files.

His fingers pinched the specified papers and pulled them out, but another document had also slipped in with them and now drifted to the ground. Crouching to pick it up, Nadech’s eyes swept over it curiously, for it held a completely different appearance from the work papers.

But after he read the name underneath the heading, which informed him this was a death record document, Nadech let the rest of the architectural papers fall to the ground, just like his whole world had come crashing down around him; because the name on the death record was his mother’s.

-------------
“…I just can’t wait for you and dad to visit the estate. I think it’s the most beautiful place on Earth.”

“Well I’m sure we will have plenty of opportunities once the wedding is over.”

Yaya beamed a wide grin. How in the world had things ended up this way? Two months earlier, she would have rather run away than hear the words ‘wedding’ and ‘Nadech’ together in one sentence. Instead, she had fled straight into his heart and nothing felt better than to know that was where she belonged. They were really going to get married.

“…and you’ll be going back in a few weeks to stay there for the charity.”

“I’m sorry Mom, what did you say?”

Her mother smiled wanly with a twinkle in her eye. “I was saying I wouldn’t mind for the two of you to return with a grandchild for me to look forward to, since you’ll have lots of alone time at the Phraisong estate after the charity.”

As the meaning of her mom’s words reached Yaya, she felt her face contort in embarrassment. “Oh gosh mom! Please tell me you’re not really expecting…” She couldn’t say it out loud, especially when she remembered the desire she felt when he kissed her. “Mom, that’s much too soon to be considering.”

Her mother giggled. “Oh, but I know about the young generation. In these modern times, young people become husband and wife even before the wedding.”

Grimacing, Yaya prayed silently to the spirits of the temple to forgive her mom, for they had entered into the sacred grounds already. “Please don’t say anything about your modern thinking to Nadech when he gets here…”

Thirty minutes after they should have met, Yaya called Nadech’s cell phone but there was no answer. Again and again she called but was disappointed to hear the machine voice direct her to voicemail.

“Mom, you don’t think something happened to him…?”

Her mom had already canceled their appointment with the monk and gave her a reassuring hug. “Maybe something urgent at work came up. Your father has also been concentrating very hard on this upcoming project with them, so let’s not get too ahead of ourselves.”

“Maybe…” Yaya was sure Nadech would have at least let her know if he couldn’t make it. Frowning with concern, she promised to not let him off easily if he had indeed gotten lost in work again.

-------------
Hours later, it became clear to everyone at the Phraisong residence that Nadech was missing.

Mario returned from work and when questioned, informed everyone that Nok, their driver, had dropped off the papers instead of Nadech. They all took turns calling him but to no avail and by dark, Mark was suggesting they group up to search for him.

Uncle Norachai stepped in and advised them that it was too late and the city was too big for them to search for one person. Oh mumbled a dissatisfied, “I suppose you’re right. Anyway, I called the complex where he has a condo and they said he hadn’t been seen there. I don’t know where else he would be.”

Mostly for Yaya’s sake, Oh insisted they should do as Uncle said, because anyone could tell she was too distressed to sit still unless they all kept her calm.
She barely sat down longer than a minute before pacing to the window or the door as if each time would bring Nadech closer to the house.

“Are you sure we shouldn’t call the police?” Kim asked Uncle.

He shook his head. “Let’s wait. If he hasn’t returned by morning, we will notify the authorities.”

It wasn’t that he wasn’t worried for his son. Norachai just had faith that Nadech would turn up eventually. He wasn’t the type to get caught in trouble ever.

“Let me know if he gets back,” Mark said, as he stood. “We can both pound him to a pulp for making us worry.”

“Thanks,” Oh said.”

Yaya couldn’t fall asleep. Even as she lay in bed, her fidgety mind traveled in a pattern from the front door, where he came through every day, to the back lawn where he sometimes stood in the evenings, to the bedroom, where he should be resting. Where could he be?

“Can’t sleep either?”

Her head shot up as she realized the living room was already lit and occupied. Uncle Norachai stood at the biggest window and turned with a kindly smile. “Don’t worry too much. He’ll be back soon.”

She chewed her lip, nodding. She watched as he settled back into his still form, eyes not wavering from the window as if the outside world was a fascinating show, one he was not really a part of but had resigned himself to forget the yearning in his heart long ago. He and Nadech had a lot in common, she thought, much more than simply their outer appearances.

“Yaya, have you been brooding about what you heard?”

“Huh?” She hadn’t expected for the subject to be brought up so suddenly. Yaya wished she could honestly say she had forgotten that overheard secret, but the more she pushed it out of her brain, the more it returned to haunt her so that all she could do was drill it into herself that she could never think of it out loud.

“Don’t be too hard on yourself. No secret can be protected forever. In fact, I’ve always wondered whether I should be honest to Nadech. It’s just each time I try to bring myself to tell him, my courage disappears.”

“Uncle, I think you’re a brave and loving man for always protecting Nadech. I…I can’t imagine what you must have burdened yourself with so many years ago.”

“It’s no burden as long as my son is happy. But I never got to say this to you either.” He faced her. “Thank you for being with my son.”

“I’m not really doing much.”

“Your presence has reminded him that he has more to live for than memories that can’t be brought back. I hope you’ll continue to accompany Nadech into the future. I’ll have to pass that responsibility on to you.”

He wasn’t pressuring her to be a dutiful housewife. He was entrusting a loved one’s life in her hands. And with the emotions that had slowly taken over the young couple, Yaya had never felt more confident of being able to keep walking forward with someone before. “I’ll do my best.” Because no one deserved that more than Nadech.

Soft padded footsteps neared them slowly and the two turned to see Nadech’s shadow lead him into the room. Overcome with relief, Yaya forgot to be angry and instead, jumped to her feet to welcome him back. It wasn’t until she was in front of him, having asked where in the world he had been and if he had gotten in trouble that she noticed he stared deadpan at his father, eyes flashing and jaw set hard.

“Why?” Nadech said softly.

“N-Nadech?” She peered worriedly at him.

He stepped towards his dad. “Why did you keep this from me? You knew didn’t you? You knew how long I searched for them…for HER? Why didn’t you tell?”

His father didn’t flinch or blink. “Nadech, it’s late and you’ve worried everyone. You should—“

“Don’t tell me what I should do right now.”

Yaya swallowed hard, witnessing a fury draw out darkness on Nadech’s face.

“Why did you not tell me about mother?”

Yaya gasped inaudibly. How had he found out?

“What about your mother?” Norachai asked calmly.

“The truth! The reason she never came back.”

“Nadech, wait,” she found herself in front of him as if expecting him to begin attacking his dad. “C-calm down, please.”

“All these years I stayed because I made a promise to mom. And now I find out it was a waste because of what happened with her. Why didn’t you tell me?” Nadech demanded from his father, who had not reacted. “This is why you never bothered to look for her? Because she…” His voice caught in his throat.

“Please, just calm down.” Stammering desperately to pick up pieces of his visibly broken heart, Yaya said, “It’s hard, I know. You’re probably really disappointed with your mom but don’t blame your dad. He was only trying to protect you.”

As if finally aware of her, Nadech’s brow drew together in confusion. “Yaya? You know? You know what happened too?”

“I…” She looked helplessly over her shoulder at Norachai. “I accidentally heard.”

“Protect me?” Nadech scoffed at his dad. “Am I not your son? Don’t I have the right to know the truth?” His volume had risen, something she had never faced before. “After all these years you didn’t bother to tell me—“

Trying to prevent further discord, Yaya held him back from nearing his dad and said, “Nadech! Your father was hurt too by your mom’s betrayal. You can’t blame him for wanting to keep the truth from you that she had an affair. Please! Understand that it was hard on him but he loves you. He didn’t want you to get hurt.”

It was Mina who cheated on you.’ Those were the words Yaya had heard from Uncle Thongchai.

The room fell into a hushed silence.

“She what?” Nadech asked to no one in particular, hoping he had heard wrong, hoping it was a lie. “What did you say?”

His inquiries let it dawn on Yaya that she had just made a mistake. “What were you talking about?”

His gaze met her coldly. “I just found out that my mother passed away.”

“Your mom’s not a-alive?” She was devastated by the news, and much more so when his eyes waved with pain.

Nadech faced his father. “Tell me it’s not true.”

Whether he was asking about the death or the betrayal, Norachai had but one answer. “I’m sorry son. What you’ve learned, all of it is true. I didn’t think you could benefit from knowing the reason our marriage collapsed. And I only found out recently that Mina is no longer alive. I didn’t have the heart to tell you.”

“I don’t believe it.” Now, Nadech was backing away, his expression falling blank. “She couldn’t have. It’s impossible.”

“It’s the truth.” Norachai inclined his head, the impact of the past finally revealed overwhelming him as freshly as a new open wound. The pain reflected from father to son and back ceaselessly. They were both living their nightmares. And then Nadech turned away and strode out.

“Wait! Nadech!” Yaya followed. “Stop!” She hadn’t ran fast or far but her breathing felt stifled as she saw the crumpled agony on his face. Before she could say anything, he asked, “When did you find out?”

“I…it was not long ago.”

“You didn’t think of ever telling me?”

“But I didn’t think—“

“You didn’t think that I could handle it? That I’m a weak person?”

“No, that’s not it!” She shook her head.

“Didn’t I tell you how much my mother meant to me?” Everyone saw him as an outsider, someone not worthy of knowing even the truths of his own life. They expected him to just drift ignorantly through life with a dream that would never be realized? Nadech felt his hands form fists against this unfair world. “When you found out that she…” He looked away, breathing hard, still not able to accept what he had heard. “You were going to do what father did. You were going to keep the truth from me.”

“I knew how much you love your mom. That’s why I didn’t have the courage to tell you. I knew it would hurt you to learn what she had done so I just…”

Nadech waited until she lifted her eyes to look at him. “We promised not to keep secrets from each other. You…you thought you could keep me happy and oblivious, like a fool, even though my mother’s gone.”

“I didn’t know she wasn’t alive anymore! Please believe me.”

“But you still didn’t tell me the truth! That was all I ever asked for.”

“I just wanted to protect you…” Her eyes dropped to the dark ground, burning with tears.

A sardonic smile replaced his frown. “I’m not one of your stray animals that you have to feel sorry for. If what you have been doing all this time is trying to train me into naivety then I have to say I’m going to disappoint you.”

Shocked by his insinuation, Yaya could barely utter a response. “W-wait. You think that I’ve been…pretending to have feelings for you?”

Moonlight glistened the tears on her face and Nadech refused to feel sorry. Instead, with a curious hand, his finger lifted and wiped away a single drop and examined it for a bit. “I cried once. It was never while mother was here, because no matter how bleak my parents’ marriage seemed, I knew I had to shield my sister from feeling their hostility. Since she wasn’t old enough and might have been emotionally affected by them, that was a valid reason to protect her.” He clenched his jaw at Yaya. “When mother and Da went away, I cried and then I realized it wouldn’t help me find them. So I stopped. It was another promise I made, that I would stay strong. And then I met you.” His eyes met her for a brief second before he forced himself to look away—because her eyes had always been able to sweep him up into a whirlwind and forget everything. But Nadech could not forget this night. And although the sudden idea that she had been treating him like a crippled and abandoned creature that should be nurtured out of pity struck through him like lightning, that pain was a dull throb compared to what he had just discovered about his mother, the woman whom he, as a child, had trusted without any doubt.

“I’m sorry.”

“No, this is my own fault. It was I who initiated this whole arrangement because I wanted to keep the house. I thought they would return to me. And now I find out all I did was lead myself farther from my wish. You might have been right about me being just as foolish as those people blinded by feelings. I don’t know.” Nadech could tell she wanted to refute, but was scared of saying something that might distress him. He wished she would say something, anything that would let this disappointing day just fade away, so they could both return to yesterday, when love gave him strength instead of the withering reality he was drowning in now. But nothing could be erased. “All I know is that I was right. This whole time I hated father for his indifference towards mom. But the fact is that she was the one who betrayed him…and me.”

Before Yaya, Nadech’s single thread of hope in love was his mother, and knowing his mother had tried to fix a broken relationship with her husband. Nadech had believed in that hope so deeply that it was his only motivation in waking up each day without giving up on the people around him and he prayed to find this fantastical and lost woman. She had been brave in the face of love and so when Yaya came along, Nadech also risked all of his cautions in love. Mina’s memory had been like air to him. Now, everything he had believed about her was slipping away like water cupped vainly in hand. Not only had she been the cause of the cruel separation from her son, she was dead also—just as if she had really not existed. And that single thread of love anchoring Nadech to Earth was snipped without warning or mercy. Years of hope were shattered in one night.

-------------Author's note
Sorry about that hiatus. Updates will be slow--although I'm trying to write ahead and I feel like the ending will feel fast, like everything will rush in at once now that the past is uncovered.
Thank for continuing to read this story, even though this chapter is...?

jjinxx

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
Awhh poor Nadech = ( I don't blame him for reacting that way but I hope he soon realizes that there's a lot in the present that he should care for.. *cough cough* Yaya!

Thanks for the update! Please take your time na.

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
My heart ached for everyone especially for Nadech. I could not imagine how much pain and agony he had to endure when he found out about his mom's

death and her infidelity. Poor Yaya too! She really cares and loves him in a short time they have spent time together. She is hurt too because

of his insinuation that she pretended to have feeling for him and for not letting him know about his mom. Nadech's dad, what a strong man, he has

to endure so much to protect his family to the best of his ability.

Thanks again jjinxx for another great update!

jjinxx

Chapter 30 Letting Go

“Nadech came back? Where is he?” Mario stood up in alarm.

Yaya stared at her untouched breakfast plate. “Gone.”

Uncle, Kim and Oh all replicated her image; none of them were in the mood to eat.

“This is my fault. If I hadn’t—“

“This is my fault. I never should have kept the real reason for our separation from Nadech.” Uncle sighed wearily. “I thought that even if he hated me, he wouldn’t hate the world so long as he never knew his mother’s past actions. I should have raised him with that knowledge openly and taught him that people can be trusted.”

“Is Nadech’s mom really gone?” Kim asked.

“Yes. I shouldn’t have hid that from him either. Now he will never forgive me.”

Yaya’s chin perked up in curiosity. “Uncle, have you heard about your daughter?”

The three witnessed a small smile on Uncle’s face. “She’s alive and nearby. Who would have thought that I would actually find Mina’s daughter? But even that might not be enough to help Nadech recover from the loss of his mother.”

“You say she’s near?” Kim asked excitedly. “Where? We have to tell Nadech! Have you seen her?”

Yaya and Oh exchanged inquisitive glances and she spoke their question. “Uncle, you keep referring to her as…your wife’s daughter. Why is that?”

“You might be able to guess. Nadech’s sister is the result of my wife’s affair.”

Collectively, they held their breaths. It seemed surprises were endless in the past hours and yet again, the person most affected was not present.

“We have to find him.” Kim twisted and wrung her hands as she paced back and forth.

“I’m pretty sure the only place he could stay at is the condo. He rarely puts it to use but if there was a time he needed to be alone, now would be it. I just hope he hasn’t done something reckless.”

After Oh was gone to work, Kim sank down beside Yaya. “P’Boy is helping us look for P’Nadech. He told me that yesterday in the late afternoon, P’Nadech called him and asked for access to some hospital records. Apparently one of the small town clinics that Aunt Mina died in is a branch of the hospital that Boy’s family runs. That’s how P’Nadech was able to confirm everything while we waited for him to come home.”

“I see. So he must have found something before that gave him a clue to what happened.”

“He knows everything now. I’ve never known him to be affected by something so much.”

-------------
Two sleepless nights later, Yaya got up and made herself go to work. She shouldn’t let the charity activities be affected due to her own issues. And she thought if she was working then the wait for any news on Nadech might not feel so long. She was on her way to Jack’s place when she received a call from Oh.

“He’s here, at work.”

She swerved right, taking the nearest road to the company. Yaya barged past secretary Cherman and into Nadech’s office. It was empty.

“Boss left immediately after the last meeting.” Cherman gently eyed her, knowing something personal had occurred. Though she had always been efficient and professional, Cherman had to admit she didn’t like the return of her hold boss’ behavior. The sight of her boss’ stern face was a disappointment even to her. “If he returns to his office, I’ll notify you.”

“Thanks,” Yaya offered a grateful smile. It was not quite believable that after last night, Nadech was able to just set everything aside as if none of it mattered. He had expressed such obvious despair and yet, he still came to work. Yaya could only figure out one explanation for his actions; he was trying to isolate himself from the confrontation with his past.

Again, she received a call but this time it was from her mom.

“Is everything alright?”

“Yeah,” Yaya cleared her throat cheerfully. “Things are great.”

“Should we reschedule the meeting with the monks for your wedding date?”

She hesitated, but there was no point in getting her mom’s hopes up. “Uh, actually, Nadech is busy with…with work. It was just as you said. He’s not available for quite a few days. And I have to concentrate on the charity. Sorry mom.”

“It’s not a problem. We can—“

“Hold on.” Yaya’s eyes trailed after a figure that she recognized. “Nad—Oh, sorry mom, I have to go. I’ll call you back.” She hung up. “Nadech!” She squeezed through the roaming employees to catch up to him. “Wait.”

She had to catch hold of his elbow before he would stop and with an indifference that wrenched her heart, Nadech reluctantly eyed her back, as if she was nothing more than a stranger wasting his time.

“Yes?”

“We need to talk.”

“Please wait. I have important business to attend to.”

“It can’t be more important than your family.”

He froze at the reminder. All Nadech wanted was to shut out every word he had heard that night. He wanted to continue the day like normal, not knowing anything except that he wanted to find the two people he loved. Except that was impossible now. And it was impossible to ignore the facts that had been thrown in his face. “I’ll see you later if I have time.”

“If…if you have time?” Something told her the odds of him ‘having time’ were pretty low. “Nadech, I thought you said everything for the new resort was finished. You should have more time now.”

“And what is so urgent that you have to interfere with my work time, princess?”

Yaya’s temper flared at the previous nickname he had used for her with so much disdain. “You know what, I recall your dislike for having others become curious about your personal life. If you do not talk to me, I will…” she glanced around, raising her chin defiantly, “I’ll throw a tantrum right here.”

Nadech was unaffected. “If you’re going to do something so nonsense, then my time would be better spent in the company of others. Good bye.” He left her without another word, so that she was speechless and flustered on her spot.

“Yaya?”

Looking up, Yaya saw Mint come towards her.

“Why are you here?” Blinking in surprise at Yaya’s facial expression, Mint then quickly took her hand and pulled her along. They went through countless hallways until reaching a door marked ‘Supply Room’ where the two entered. “There’s no one else here or in our office now. It’s okay.”

Yaya wished deeply for that to be true, for everything to be okay. Because that wasn’t the case, she couldn’t stop the flow of tears that loosened. They weren’t meant for herself. What did she know about loss and suffering? But she felt some of it now, she felt like the good that had slipped into her life might slip right out. And she didn’t know what to do to help Nadech.

“What’s wrong?” Mint asked.

“The person I want to fix the world for…he won’t let me.”

Mint allowed her to relieve her frustration for a few minutes on her shoulder, patting her back gently. “It WILL be okay. You don’t need to fix the world for the person you care about. You just have to be there for him when things are unbearable.” That’s what Mark had done for her. Mint wasn’t sure what had occurred but she didn’t need to know details to understand when someone was hurt. “That’s all that we humans can do for one another. But it’s a lot considering how weak we all are. No one can stand against the world alone.”

Yaya sniffled, leaning against the shelf of paper-filled boxes. “How do I bring him back from his closed up walls…”

“I think if you you’ve done it once before, it won’t be hard the second time.” When Yaya peered at her quizzically, Mint chuckled sheepishly. “Excuse me, but Mark’s told me a lot about you and Khun Nadech. I don’t mean to pry, but from what little I see, it’s enough for even someone like me to know you two need each other. Even if loving someone is full of obstacles, it’s not impossible to bring them out of darkness because most likely they want you to guide them. They’re just scared.”

Yaya understood that. It was the same breathless feeling as when she discovered she loved Nadech—that eagerness to make him hers, but still being cautious of him because the stronger the wall around his heart, the more delicate he was inside.

She roughly wiped away her tear streaks and nodded. “I’m sorry, I just…I was afraid too, of losing him, more afraid than I’ve ever been of losing anyone other than my family. I want him to be happy, but didn’t know if I could be the one to make it happen.” It seemed she continuously gave him trouble since the first time they met, and yet, miraculously, they had found small steps to love. And Nadech had told her he loves her. He was not one to play around with words, she knew that, and so she didn’t regret a single moment of their good and bad times or of becoming a part of his life.

Yaya frowned as she pondered about the other parts of his life. His mom was gone, that couldn’t be reversed. But he still had the most loving father and he still had…

“His sister!”

“Huh?”

“Thank you Mint,” she cried, and hugged her friend.

-------------
Not wanting to slack, Yaya sped through the work she had to do at Jack’s house, then immediately made her way to Uncle Norachai’s study room once she got back.

She said, “Nadech still hasn’t agreed to come back.”

“I know,” Uncle replied. “I don’t expect him to get over this easily.”

“But we have to help him. Uncle, you said you know Nadech’s sister’s location. Please go get her. Bring her to him.”

“I’m not sure that’s such a good idea.”

“But why?” He had to know how much Nadech loves his sister. Why was he hesitant to do this important task when he had protected his son for so long?

Norachai sighed. “It might not seem right, for a stranger like me to appear in her life and declare she is a part of a family she doesn’t remember. It is my fault she didn’t grow up with her brother. And, I cannot bring myself to face her. It’s difficult to look at the person created from my wife’s betrayal.”

She should have considered how Uncle was handling this. Of course, if Nadech was affected, then his father who had tried to withhold all his unbearable past must also be having a hard time. “Do you not accept her as your child then?”

“It’s not that,” he answered without pause. “From the first time I saw her as a baby, and even soon after when I learned of the affair, I’ve never thought to deny Chalida as my daughter. But knowing she wasn’t truly my own blood made me hesitant to love her because I might have to give her up to her true father. That’s what I feared. The consequences were even worse though.” After so many years, Norachai did not know how he should act around the daughter who was not his daughter.

“Can she accept me? Can she forgive me? The worst thing I can imagine is letting her meet Nadech only to have her deny him. I can’t put him through any more than this.”

Like father, like son. Why did unfortunate experiences have to fall upon the two of them so that they could even be afraid to love?

Uncle continued, “How can she accept this broken family?”

Even the people who had everything could still feel the weight of the world. They were just as pitiful and much closer to her than Yaya had imagined. “Living under one roof, seeing each other every day, doesn’t make people a family. A family is formed by opening our hearts to each other. Do you want to make amends with your daughter.

Norachai felt shaken at such an emotional challenge. “I don’t know if I’m ready. But I don’t want to keep my children apart any longer.” With that, he knew he would need to enlist the help of someone with courage and strong will. “Yaya, I trust my son’s heart in your hands. When I thought he might never see beauty in this life again, I saw that you changed him. Therefore, you have the right to know everything about him and this family. I need you to help me.”

Yaya nodded, heart pounding for what was forthcoming.

“Chalida is indeed very close to us…”

Yaya stepped into Nadech’s bedroom. It felt so empty. She sat upon his bed and recalled her first time in here, during that ice cream incident. She wished he could be here to hold her again. No, this time it was her turn to make the sickness and heartache go away, to warm the heart inside of him.

She slid her fingers across the blanket, a memory of her dream during that day coming back to her blurrily. She must have been half-conscious because she hadn’t been able to make out his words. Yaya dived through her brain for that memory.

I’m sorry.’ Those were the two words he had spoken to her when her stomach-ache claimed her mind away from wakefulness. Nadech had apologized to her.

As much as he tried not to care, to keep everyone distant, he was not someone completely ignorant of other people’s feelings. Perhaps he had been sorry that she was sick, or maybe he apologized for being a part of making her get engaged to him. Whatever it was, Yaya felt her heart thunder with affection and determination to win back his trust.

-------------
“You sure I shouldn’t go with you?” Oh asked. He and Yaya were outside the condo complex where they knew Nadech was in.

She shook her head. “It will be better with less people.”

He gave her a nod of affirmation. “Good luck.”

Yaya counted the floors as the elevator moved her up to the top floor of the building. She knocked on door 1712.

Nadech knew sooner or later, one of them would come to his condo.

“We need to talk.” Yaya said. “And this time, I’m not accepting any of your excuses. I’ll use my right as your fiancée if I have to in order to get your attention."
When he did not look any more willing to welcom her, she added, "And, and, and I’m using that favor you owe me. You have to talk to me.”

Without a word, he let her inside and they simply sat across from each other. It reminded him of the day she had returned with her parents after he proposed and she accidentally signed the marriage license. It felt so long ago.

Her lips pressed in a stern frown. “How are you doing?”

“It’s none of your business.”

She smiled without humor. “You know, I’ve noticed that we say that a lot to each other. But your problems are very much my business. I’m a part of your family now. Yes,” She interrupted, seeing him open his mouth. “I am now a part of your family. You don’t get to drop into my life and then push me away. That’s not how it works.”

It was true. That first night, she had tried to sneak away, had gone as far as to climb over his fence. But he had stopped her, however misguided his vision of her had been. And they became a part of each other’s lives. He felt detached from all of it, but with her here in front of him, the sensations of her laughter and smiles were ringing in his mind.

“Nadech, I don’t really know how you feel.”

He lifted his eyes to see her, nervous and relieved that he had not turned her away. And something else was there too in her eyes, but he could not read it.

“The only family I lost were due to old age, so I knew it was their time to go and I could accept it,” she continued. “But your mother was taken away from you when you were small. And now, you find out she’s gone.”

“A woman like that,” he said, “it’s better that I was rid of her.”

Yaya’s jaw dropped in shock.

Nadech leaned back. “Don’t be so surprised. It was probably a blessing in disguise that she went away. She was a disgrace and a…traitor.”

Yaya jumped to her feet. “How can you say that?”

“How can you be offended when you were once hurt by someone?” he asked back.

“But this is your mother. She’s the person who you’ve searched for for years.”

“I’ve wasted my time on someone who broke the love and trust she promised to my family.” He laughed scoffingly. “How stupid of me, to believe that my parents fell apart so simply. It was all because of her. When she betrayed my father, she also betrayed me. I thought a mother could always be trusted, but…” Nadech stopped himself for a moment, blinking back the hotness in his eyes, a current of bitter emotions pushing against his reservations. “She’s dead now. It doesn’t matter because she was a lie.”

“You’re wrong.” Yaya spoke steadily. “If she was a lie, if she had been so horrible, then you wouldn’t remember her a single bit. Yes, she made a mistake. I’m not making excuses for her because what she did was not right. But she wasn’t a lie, at least not while she was your mother. The memories you have of her can’t be fake. Do you really believe that?”

But Nadech wasn’t so sure anymore. “Her memories are distant now. Maybe I imagined everything.”

Yaya wanted badly to hold him in her arms and just let him rest from his distress. But he needed to move forward, there was no time to stand still caught up in this nest of past mistakes.

“What she did was unacceptable. How could she? No wonder father couldn’t bring himself to speak to her. And all this time, I blamed him.” Then, Nadech hung his head low in submission to all the years he pushed his father away. He felt a curtain of shame envelop him.

Yaya then understood his real grief. “Your mom may be gone, but you still have your father. There isn’t such a thing as too late if you are willing to love the people around you.”

Nadech felt her proximity, that familiar welcoming warmth from her body and allowed her to brush his tear away. He swallowed hard. “I’m a terrible son. I can’t forgive either of them nor can I make up for the way I’ve treated my dad. I especially can’t forgive her for taking away Da. She had no right. I’m useless for not being able to find her and give her a home.”

“Sh…No, you’re not. Please don’t say that about the person who mended my heart. If it wasn’t for you, how could I recover from my own pain so fast? If it wasn’t for you, what would your father do? And your friends, Oh, Kim, Mark…we all need you.”

How did he deserve someone like Yaya, after being so harsh towards her for something she hadn’t done wrong? Nadech wanted to sink into her embrace forever, but his mind would not forget his own tragedies.

“Don’t dwell on the things you can’t change, Nadech. Embrace the opportunities you have to find happiness. So many people love you. And I’ll be here for you too.”

He had once promised someone that he would be strong, but now, making that promise again for the woman in front of him felt like an even bigger test. Living was so tiring.

Yaya took a deep breath, finally about to reveal the most important thing. “Nadech, your sister—“

A loud pounding banged at the door. They heard Mario’s voice, “Oh, it wasn’t even locked.” Oh stumbled inside. “You guys! Uncle is in the hospital! Kim said he collapsed.”

Yaya stood instantly, but Nadech stayed seated. “Nadech, come on.”

He stared at the floor, frowning deeply.

“Dude, your dad is in the hospital! You can’t not go,” Oh growled and made forward to shake Nadech out of his daze. “I know you’re hurt, but he needs you. He cares about all of us, but at the end of the day, he needs you. He’s done everything for you, more than any of us knew! Don’t you dare abandon him!”

“Stop Oh.” Yaya stepped between them, then whirled to face Nadech. “This is your decision. If you are Nadech, the person we know and the man I love, then I hope you make the right choice.” She steadied her sinking heart seeing his unresponsiveness. “Come on Oh.”

Outside, Yaya told him, “You go see Uncle first. I need to get someone.”

Before he could ask her any questions, she hailed a cab and got inside it.

-------------
“Kim! How is he?” Mario asked, rushing into the hospital room.

“Uncle is alright now.” Her eyes held traces of crying. “The doctor said that he was too stressed and he just…” She shook her head, not wanting to remember the frightening image of her beloved uncle lying on the ground.

“But he’s alright now,” Oh sighed and took her in his arms. They stepped towards the bed that held Uncle Norachai.

“Where are the others? Didn’t you tell Nadech?” She glanced anxiously at the door. Oh merely shook his head.

“It’ll take a miracle if he comes.” The two of them noticed Uncle stirring.

“Uncle!”

“Uncle, how are you feeling?”

He tried to reassure them with a weak smile. “I’m fine children. Sorry about that scare. I was simply combating old age.”

“But you’re not old yet,” Kim said tearfully. He gently held her hand.

Norachai’s eyes wandered around the room. “Nadech?”

Kim and Oh exchanged apprehensive looks, but just as suddenly as everything had happened in the last few days, they were taken by surprise by Nadech’s appearance.

With halting footsteps contrast to his usual fast and assured pace, Nadech approached them all, stopping a foot away. Silence pulsed through the room.

Then Nadech spoke. “Have you forgiven her?”

His father returned his gaze with just as much grim seriousness. “I have.”

“How?”

“When a person has something so important to live for that he can’t imagine losing it, that person has to let go of his sorrow so that he is strong enough to face each new day of life. The most important thing to me is you, son.”

Nadech fought against the lump I his throat. He had taken everything for granted. He had longed for what he didn’t have instead of accepting and treasuring the love around him. In the next second, he was kneeled at his father’s side, face wet with a lifetime of gratefulness and also the fear that he would lose his father. “I’m sorry,” his voice tembled.

“You’re not at fault.” He felt his dad’s hand on his own and squeezed back, remembering all the years that his father took care of him, even when he made no effort to strengthen their bond. As selfish as he had been, Nadech dared to ask for more. “You can’t leave me.”

His dad smiled. “I promise I won’t leave you. We’ll get through this together. Remember that you have me and everyone else who cares about you. And you have your sister.”

Nadech’s heart nearly stopped. In the shadow of his mother’s past actions, he hadn’t been able to bring himself to think about yet another hopeless cause.
“M-my sister?”

“Here!”

Everyone turned to the door. There, standing breathlessly, was Yaya. “I’m sorry. I hope Uncle’s alright.” She looked outside the door and motioned for someone to come in.

Curious, Nadech watched the person he had least expected to appear. Mint came in, holding the arm of an elderly woman. The two looked uncertain, even as Yaya was ushering them inside.

“Mint?” Oh asked. “What’s going on Yaya?”

Yaya glanced at Norachai, who gave her the slightest of nods. “Auntie Sri, this is who I told you about.”

Mint eyed the people present in the room nervously. When she returned from work, Yaya had already spoken to Auntie and the two rushed her out and came to the hospital. At first she was worried that Mark was hurt but now, she was confused. There on the bed was the gentleman she had met at Yaya’s parents’ house, whom Mark had introduced her to.

“Is this a friend of yours, Auntie?” she asked quietly.

Oh helped Uncle Norachai sit up. Nadech had walked closer to Yaya, eyes questioning her.

Yaya took a deep breath. “Nadech, this is your sister.”

He peered at Mint skeptically, until he heard his father’s voice.

“It’s true.” Norachai caught Mint’s widened eyes. He knew if anyone was more shocked than Nadech, it would be her. “Forgive me child. But this is the truth.”

Mint glanced at Auntie Sri, and offered a weak laugh. “Is this a joke? Auntie Sri?”

“It’s hard to question science, especially DNA. And I have done a background check,” Norachai informed them. “From the first moment I saw her, and that ring she wore, I knew.”

Mint’s hand lifted to the necklace with the ring hung on it, the one Auntie had said belonged to her mother.

Nadech too watched her fingers close around the ring and caught a glimpse of it. An image flew back to him of his mother’s delicate hand on their doorknob; her finger glinted with her wedding ring. “Dad, do you swear that what you found out is real?”

“Yes.”

That was all it took to convince Nadech. Eyes searching as if fearing the apparition in front of him would disappear, Nadech swallowed hard. “Chalida.”

Mint straightened herself up defiantly. “My name is Mint Davika Sorinam.”

“That’s mother’s maiden name,” Nadech said, taking one step forward. It couldn’t be false. He had said it before, that even if he met her, he wouldn’t recognize Da. But now that the tangible person was in front of him, Nadech found that if he had imagined his sister to look like someone, it could not be any different than the person he saw. Fate had made sure they reunited, even under unknown circumstances.

“Auntie, tell them they’ve made a mistake.” Mint’s grip tightened around her aunt. “I’m not who they’re looking for. I’m…I’m your Mint.” She looked up and found Auntie Sri wearing a sad smile.

“Mint. Da. They are one. They are you.” Auntie Sri stepped forward. “Her mother, your mother,” she directed at Nadech, “came to me, lost and fevered. She had but two wishes before passing on to the next world. The first was to take care of her daughter, Da. And the second was to be buried in her birthplace. That was all. Her id card read her surname as Sorinam, and no matter how I searched, I found no one of her kin. As for her daughter,” she held one hand up to stroke the hair of Mint whose tears of disbelief clung unshed to her lashes, “when the woman named Mina whispered her name to me, it was Da, but she was so weak that I thought she had not told me her daughter’s full identity.” Auntie Sri lovingly wiped Mint's wet face. “Her name was incomplete, and so I named her Davika. Davika became Mint, my treasure.”

Mint held her hand with both of hers like a life line, shaking her head. It wasn’t true. How could she be someone else? She refused to believe it. “If this is true, then how did it happen?” She glanced distrustfully at Nadech, who felt breathless with pain that the moment he found a glimpse of hope, he might have to let it go. It was no use keeping his sister if it would hurt her. “How?” Mint asked fiercely.

“I will tell you,” Norachai said. “But I hope you will believe the truth.” He settled deeper into his pillow and prepared to recount the tale of his lost love. “It began in my generation. It’s quite simple, really, a classic example of the young man who fell madly in love with the beautiful young woman. That was Mina, your mother.”

Auntie Sri nodded. She could recall that woman who stumbled across the threshold of her old house, asking for help. As pale and sickly as she had been, no one would have been able to help noticing how beautiful she was, and how proud and stubborn she was, not allowing her sickness to win over her until the last moment. Mint saw the recognition in Auntie’s Sri’s eyes, but didn’t want to accept the possibility of something so crazy. She had never wanted to be anyone other than the child of Auntie Sri, her mother, friend and most important person in her life. But Mint listened on.

“We got married,” Norachai continued, “against my parents’ wishes, since Mina was an orphan and not of the same class as my family. But I loved her so much and she was such a charming person that she and I were able to convince my parents we belonged together. We were lost in our own world of love.” He gazed away from everyone else. “Then our children came, a son and a daughter, and I felt that life was complete at last.”

Nadech felt Yaya’s hand slip gingerly into his. He closed his fingers around hers.

Norachai grew grim. “But things change. There’s no point trying to put the blame on any one person. In the eyes of others, I suppose such a life as mine would be too good to be true. But I didn’t care, I enjoyed every moment of it. Once my father’s business expanded seriously, I began to work more and more. This only made me yearn for time with my family more too. Nadech, you probably wonder why your mother never visited the estate with us. Mina was very much a city girl. She was uninterested in our family’s rural properties. I didn’t mind. I wanted her to be happy. But one day, a few months after Chalida was born, I saw Mina walking with someone else. I was going to greet them, but…” he sighed, “I heard the man she was with asking about HIS daughter.”

Nadech looked at Mint. Her eyes held a mixture of incredulity and horror as she realized that if everything was true, then she was a child created from infidelity. Nadech had actually thought it might be so, right from the moment he heard that his mom had cheated. But that didn’t lessen any of his longing to have his sister back in his family. He would never stop loving his sister, and wished he could tell her that.

Norachai swept his eyes around at them all. “That’s the basic beginning. From then on, I couldn’t trust my wife anymore, but I held on as long as possible because I knew my children needed their mother.”

Nadech felt tears bud on his eyes. The amount of energy and strength it took to live under the same roof as someone who had betrayed you was unimaginable to him, yet his father had done it for his sake and had not even resented Da either.

“I did my best to love Da,” Norachai said, which was aimed more towards Nadech than anyone. “I never considered that she wasn’t my daughter, but feared she might be taken away some day. When the day finally came that Mina could not stand the fact that I could not be the same husband I used to be, the husband who loved her more than himself, she left. I should have fought harder to keep Da with us, but she…she wasn’t biologically mine, so I felt I had no right to tear her from Mina. And…”

“And you loved mom,” Nadech said, “You still loved her, even if you couldn’t live with her.”

Norachai nodded. “I thought that even if she was going to leave me, to be alone or to be with another man, at least she would always have her daughter beside her. So I let them go. I’m sorry.”

Auntie Sri lifted Mint’s chin to look into her eyes. “So now we know. It doesn't make me love you any less, know that. This is the truth. This is your family.”

Mint shook with sobs. “You are my family. You are my mother. I can’t accept this.”

“Da, please,” Nadech stopped when she flinched away from him.

“This isn’t right.” She sniffled.

“Are you not able to accept this family?” Norachai asked gently. “Please understand that it was never our intention to hurt you.” Nadech inclined his head. His father was being strong yet again. But could he simply let her go after so many years of dreaming she would return? He forced himself to stand still.

Mint fixed her eyes on the two men who claimed to be her family. There was much fear lining their faces, a fear she could not understand. Did they really believe she belonged with them? “Even if this isn’t a mistake, how can you take a stranger into your family? And I…that would mean that I’m an illegitimate child.”

“No,” Nadech stated, breathing hard. “That’s not true.”

“But he said—“

“It doesn’t matter. Da will always be my sister. I don’t care what anyone else says.”

“Family is those who accept us into their hearts,” Yaya said. “You don’t know how long your brother has searched for you. You are anything but a stranger.”

Something seemed to be clenching Mint’s heart. Just an hour ago she knew who she was, she knew who she lived for, and she knew what she wanted from life. Now, the laws of the universe had mixed up; she felt overwhelmed by so much information. Belief was not a consequence of proof, but of one person’s mind and soul’s entire acceptance.

Her body triggered a flight response towards the impossibilities she had heard. Mint ran away, through the twisting hallways and managed to find her way out of the main entrance to the hospital. Her sight was blurred by tears, distorting the world she no longer knew.

Tires screeched, a horn blared, and Mint felt the wind knock out of her. She rolled with force across the hard ground, but was not injured physically.

“Are you okay!”

Dazed from all the rough motion, she blinked her eyes open. At that moment, when the city’s lights sparkled in her field of vision and met with a night sky, Mint looked up and saw a boy. He was not any older than ten years of age; his dark eyes and the sharp contours of his face reflected with concern back down to her.

P’chai will never make you cry again. I’ll always take care of you…I promise.

Where had she heard that? And why did she long for the person that those words came from?

“Mint?!”

Her vision cleared and there was Nadech. Breathing hard, she squinted her eyes, feeling her body ache a little. “What happened?”

Nadech sighed with relief and uttered over and over, “Thank goodness, thank goodness…”

“Are you…?”

Nadech tried to ignore the pain in his head and the peculiar ache in his leg. “…thank goodness, you’re okay…” He rolled to the side and fell unconscious.

“K-khun…Nadech? Nadech!” Mint was now unaware of her previous dizziness and was shaking him. “What’s wrong? Wake up!”

They were surrounded by people now, but any voices or questions could not make sense to Mint. All she understood was that this man was important to her. Science, evidence, or any proof could not dictate the belief in her heart. But seeing the blood on the person in front of her made her feel like her life was cut in half. It was a feeling as dreadful as when she thought she would lose Auntie Sri. It didn't make sense, but that fear bubbled throughout her body and soul, so intensely that Mint's body trembled. Her eyes once again pooled with desperate tears.

“Wake up! Wake up! You promised! You think you can just drop all of this on me and then die?! Wake up! You promised you would never make me cry again! Brother!”

I hope Norachai's feelings were understood. He's such a good fellow.
I apologize if the chapter was tediously long. But on the other hand, the family problems are being resolved much sooner than if it was in a real lakorn. What can I say, I don't really want to drag out the family issues because they're sad (mostly the romance is more fun 55) but I hope you still enjoyed the suspense of Nadech's reunion with his sister Mint. I'm sure even more of you guessed who she was all along. ^^
Yadech is not forgotten. I hope you'll like what I have in store for them too.

jjinxx

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
oohh im so excited to read the next update of yadech! thank you so much jjinxx! it's sad though thinking this story is ending soon :mellow:

jjinxx

Chapter 31 Open Heart

The car that had nearly hit Mint had instead struck Nadech’s leg and in his attempt to shield her, he also banged up his head. He had felt burdened ever since that day he lost his mom and sister. But Nadech never though he also caused grief to other people. As he dreamed, he saw tearful faces and heard cries that reached out to him. There truly were so many who loved him; it was time for him to step out of his walls.

-------------
Brother.’

That was the word that echoed in his mind when Nadech woke up. The first face he saw was his father’s and then Mint’s. With unspoken understanding, his father and sister remained by his side until he recovered enough to leave the hospital. At first, very little was said amongst the three. Since Nadech and Norachai rarely spoke to each other unless necessary, they were just as hesitant towards each other as with Mint. But with their friends constantly there to help draw them closer, they grew more and more comfortable. It helped that Mint was full of curiosity and energy, not allowing herself to be reserved around them for long because…

“We are a family now,” she said. She asked them a lot of questions, because once she grew to know them and understand who they were, she was determined never to let her new family close their hearts to each other again.

As public figures, it couldn’t be kept a secret that the Phraisong family had again accepted a new member to their household, and this time, she was blood related, the long-lost child. Norachai had his managers take care of public affairs, not allowing anyone to harass his children.

Nadech could care less about the public’s curiosity or opinion about his sister. And Mint paid no mind to the fact that her status had changed or that many considered her to be a modern Cinderella. What was important, what had always been important to her, was staying true to who she was. She put more effort into getting to know her brother. Every day, she and Nadech grew closer. Perhaps it would have been that way from the start, had Nadech not held everyone he met at a distance, for it was undeniable that the two of them shared an instant bond.

It took over a week before Nadech’s leg injury healed enough for him to be released. While Kim and Mint were helping to gather all the get well gifts he’d received, Nadech zipped up his duffel bag. On top of his clothes lay a single withered lily flower that had arrived last week. To Nadech’s disappointment, the sender had not visited him, and so the flower had served as a substitute. But what could he expect after his inexcusable behavior towards her?

“P’Nadech,” Mint smiled with a wheelchair in front of her for him.

“Thanks Mint.”

Surprisingly it had not taken any trouble to get used to calling her Mint instead of Da. He understood that that was her identity and spending more and more time with her, Nadech grew prouder of who his sister was. He found that she was an admirable and spirited person who made his long hospital days bearable, and who he would fight the future days for.

But Mint had decided she would legally change her first name to Chalida. When Nadech and Norachai told her she didn’t have to, she insisted that it felt right to her.

“I can’t be two people, but I can still share a bond with all members of my family.” She held onto both Auntie Sri’s and Norachai’s hands. “I will do my best to be a good daughter to both of you.”

“You always have been,” Auntie Sri said.

“Thank you for understanding us,” Norachai said.

“Of course, dad.”

This had Norachai shedding more tears, but they were of course, the type of tears born from happiness. He felt complete now that his children were together.

“Let’s go home,” Nadech settled into the wheelchair.

-------------
Both Mint and Auntie Sri were relocated to the Phraisong Residence without further ado. As Nadech showed Mint around, they got to the third wing and his uneven footsteps, due to using crutches, slowed. Mint went ahead of him a few steps.

“What’s down this way?”

He took a deep breath. “It’s where you used to sleep and next to that was our play room. They’re different now though.”

She peered back at him, knowing those memories still haunted him.

“Uh,” he smiled, “I remember one time I accidentally spilled a warm drink on you.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, but you cried for like one minute only.” His sister had always been strong.

“Was it on my hand?”

“Yeah,” he answered, surprised.

“No wonder. Every time I feel hot water, my wrist tingles.”

Their eyes met and saw identical grins.

“So they’re just bedrooms now?”

“M-hm. Mine and Y—“ He paused.

Mint dropped her gaze for a second. He and Yaya hadn’t seen each other in a while. Mint had been consistently surprised that Yaya had not come to the hospital once after that first night. “Don’t you think you should—“

He cleared his throat. “I’ll show you and Auntie Sri the backyard. There’s not much, but some new flowers are growing after Y…” There, Yaya was about to be mentioned again. She just could not leave Nadech alone, even if she wasn’t physically present. She’d left her mark on this house and every day that he had returned, there was one item here or there that would remind him of her. She had since gone back to her parents’ house.

Nadech had called them with much anxiety, wondering if she would pick up, but it was her mother instead. She told him that there was nothing to worry about and Yaya felt his family needed space for the time being. Khun Champa’s last words were, “We’ll get your wedding date once the two of you are ready. There is no rush.” Nadech had heard no trace of resentment in her voice, there had only been pure kindness.

He wondered if perhaps the wedding date was meant to never be determined.

Mint roamed around with Nadech, insisting she could push him in the wheelchair since he couldn’t walk for long. She was chattering about some stories of her childhood, which he drank in with interest. Her childhood had been quite different from his, though he was eternally grateful to Auntie Sri that Mint had never encountered any troubles that were too traumatic. She was healthy and whole. Part of him wished he’d been there to witness her growing but that mattered less than having her here with him now. It was a feeling of completion having her beside him.

“…and there was this bully in my class called Aum. It’s funny because Dao, my coworker, looks just like what I imagined Aum would grow up to look like, except Dao is really nice.”

They were passing along the side of the house. Nadech said sternly, “You do know you’re not going to work anymore right?”

Mint stopped and went to stand in front of him, hands on her hips. “And may I ask what in the world am I supposed to do if not working?”

“Go to school.”

That made her forget whatever refutations she was preparing. “R-really?” Her smile grew wider. “Seriously?”

“Yeah,” he returned her smile.

“Yay! Oh my gosh! Argh,” she exclaimed. “I need to start studying. How will I pass the entrance exams…”

But Nadech could tell she was more excited than worried.

“…I’ve always wanted to go on further with my education! Thank you.” She kneeled beside him. “Thank you so much P’Nadech.”

“You’re welcome. Don’t forget dad too.”

“I won’t. Oh gosh,” she gave a little twirl, “Wait until I tell Auntie and Mark and Yaya and…” She glanced warily at Nadech. He had suddenly become very interested in the marble gate and reached a hand towards the vines that clung to it.

What kind of cynical villain would plant thorns on their gates?

With one firm tug, Nadech pulled down a handful of vines. He felt the thorns prickle against his palm.

“What are you doing?” Mint asked, turning over his scratched-up hand.

“From now on, this will be a home,” he said quietly.

Mint exhaled softly. “Isn’t there one person missing?”

He gave her no response.

“Hey guys!” Mark strolled up to them cheerfully and gave Mint a one-armed hug. He was about to kiss her forehead but noticed that Nadech was watching quite authoritatively, so Mark cleared his throat and stopped himself. Inside, he couldn’t help being amused. There was no way he hadn’t expected this. After all, Nadech had bottled up many years of brotherly protection and was surely going to implicate that protectiveness in full now that Mint had come home. Mark was happy for both of them and would patiently put up with it…for now. “How’s the leg?”

“Not as bad as it was at first,” Nadech shrugged.

“Here, I got your mail for you.”

“Ah!” Mint exclaimed, holding up an envelope. “The charity is this week.” She and Mark took glances at Nadech, hoping he would tell them he was going. Instead, Nadech was sorting through the rest of the mail. Sighing dissatisfactorily, Mint took them out of his hands and replaced them with the invite. “This is very important.” She then wheeled him back to the yard with Mark. “P’Nadech, don’t forget we’re going out in a bit.”

-------------
They were at the river, standing right next to the edge of the bridge. Behind them were people walking towards unknown destinations and beyond them were the cars, chasing and racing each other towards their busy ends of the world.

Mint reached in her pocket and took out something. Although there were probably a million just like it, the gold wedding band was unique in that it held an inscription dedicated to the wife from her husband upon it and was recognized by Nadech instantly.

“Auntie said that mother wanted me to have this because it might lead me home. At first I thought that was silly because my home was with Auntie, so it didn’t make sense. I always knew I had a real biological mom, but, well, I always considered Auntie Sri as my mom. I don’t want to disturb the memories you have of mom but…in my heart I know you haven’t forgiven her yet.”

Nadech’s eyes focused on the chain that swung slightly back and forth. “The worst thing is not understanding completely how father was affected, and yet knowing he was hurt even more.” He sighed. “It’s all in the past though. Mint, do you know, I hated her. When I found out about what she did, I hated her. But then I realized she did love me. She wasn’t a lie. So I can let her go.” Thanks to Yaya, and to having his sister back, he could let go.

“Auntie told me there was nothing except love and regret in mom’s eyes before she died. She was sorry for what had happened between her and dad, and for leaving you. To me, remorse deserves forgiveness.” Mint allowed him one last look at the ring that had bound their family together and then she tossed it as hard as possible into the river. “There. Now they’ll both be free. Both mom and dad.”

They would not talk about or reminisce about the mother they had lost, because she was now too distant. She was no more than a friend who had passed them by. The siblings would accompany each other through the future and guide one another if one was ever lost in the past.

-------------
The weekend was nearing and many inside the Phraisong residence were beginning to grow anxious about Nadech and his fiancée. No one mentioned Yaya directly to Nadech, however many times Mint and Kim had come into contact with her.

One evening Nadech was inside his room when he heard a noise come from next door. Could it be possible?

He limped to the hall door and opened it. He and Mario froze, staring at each other. It was obvious that Oh had been trying to sneak hurriedly away. Nadech could hear female voices down the hall and he wagered a silent guess that the three were up to something.

Putting on his best pokerface, he asked, “What? Did you need me for something?”

“Uh…” Oh stuttered, “No. I just thought I saw Max run down this way and go into that room. You know, Max the puppy that belongs to your fiancée, your fiancée who used to and should be living here, not that my opinion matters.” He averted his eyes and whistled a casual tune.

Nadech gave him a droll stare. “First of all, Max doesn’t live here at the moment. Second of all, there’s no way he could have opened that door by himself anyway.”

With an offended manner, Oh crossed his arms. “Yeah well, Max should be living here because this is his home. And…and of course he wouldn’t need to open the door himself if the owner of the room, your fiancée, was in there. Hmph.” He fast walked away and Nadech shook his head as he heard the girls’ voices reprimanding Oh for getting caught.

When everyone was seated for dinner, Nadech looked over at Oh and noticed he was muttering under his breath with an exasperated attitude. Kim bounced out of the kitchen and set the table for everyone. Nadech took one look at his plate and sat back in his seat.

“Where are dad and Auntie Sri?”

Mint chuckled. “They went out.”

“Like on a date?” Kim asked wide-eyed.

“That’s what I thought at first, but they actually planned to visit the temple and just decided to stop by a restaurant. Maybe they don’t want to hang around us young ones.” She peeked at Nadech. “P’Nadech, aren’t you going to eat?”

“I don’t eat spicy food.”

“Yours isn’t spicy,” she said.

“Oh yeah? Want to trade with me?” He had learned of their shared food preference and just as he thought, she made a face at his fiery dish.

Mint squirmed. “No thanks.”

“It shouldn’t be a problem since you haven’t touched yours yet and mine supposedly isn’t spicy.”

Mint glanced miserably at Kim.

Oh mumbled, “Told you it wasn’t going to work.”

“It was your idea,” Kim said back.

“Who told you to make him stuffed peppers and then fill it with every other spicy ingredient that exists?”

Nadech cut in firmly. “Enough. Whatever you guys are doing,” which was obvious enough, “stop it. I don’t need you to play cupid for me. I’m an adult.”

Oh said, “Did you know that cupid rhymes with stupid?”

“Because that’s what you are?” Nadech asked flatly.

Oh replied with jolly laughter. “No, because stupid is what cupid’s patients are.”

“If anyone cares to notice, I am not an invalid that needs anyone’s help. Aunt Pam, may I have a new plate please?” He knew the others were sulking but ignored them. Did they think he needed more reminders of Yaya? It wasn’t as if he didn’t think about her every night before falling asleep, or wake up reminding himself he shouldn’t expect to see her face that day. There were pictures, of course, but as she had once told him, it’s just not the same. But it had been her decision to stay away from him so he found no reason to believe she would want to see him.

Mint frowned. When Nadech and Yaya were merely strangers to her, she had listened to Mark’s account of this fairytale couple and wondered if such people existed who could have such impact on one another. They were like fictional characters except with a love so real it was visible from the moment she had first met them. And now, they had become important people to her. She couldn’t tolerate watching Nadech let himself be deprived of someone who loved him as much as Yaya does. She didn’t want to be a bratty sister, but after Oh’s and Kim’s failed attempts, it was her turn.

“P’Nadech, if you don’t attend the charity, I will never talk to you again.” She pushed back from the table and walked away in a huff.

“Me either,” Kim agreed and followed Mint out.

Nadech looked expectantly at Oh.

Oh glanced left and right. “What? I’m still eating. Besides, we work together, so there’s no point in making a threat I can’t keep.”

-------------
Yaya lay listlessly around on her bed, rubbing Max’s ears. By her pillow was her camera, which she was trying very hard to resist turning on. After two more minutes of chewing on her lip, she gave up and pressed the ON button, and the screen lit up to show her Nadech’s face. She didn’t have any actual pictures since the photo album was with Nadech. Would he even remember it?

Somehow, his images gave her both happy and sad bouts. This time around, Yaya didn’t even have the craving to drown herself in ice cream. Her world had grown tasteless and less interesting, but she pushed herself out of bed every day. She refused to be one of those girls who pined over a man and stood around uselessly. The charity would be arriving soon, so she occupied herself with her work every day.

Remember the wishbone that Yadech shared? This is the reason that I had Yaya win—Nadech’s one lifetime wish was to find his mom and sister, and he did, but not completely in the way that he had hoped. Therefore, Yaya’s wish to have Nadech’s wish come true helped him, but was not the ideal outcome.
Stay tuned for Yadech in the next chapter and side story!

@chubbycheeks: :beer: I'm also surprised with the last few chapters, that they're coming by so fast. I'm thinking 3-4 chapters. *hug* thank you for being such an active and great reader!

jjinxx

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
awhh jjinxx :toast: *hug* right back at cha! i should be the one to say thank you for all your hard work. you're really a gift for all us yadech fans! do you know how much i admire your writing skills and i'm so appreciative that you're one of the few writers who actually keeps up with your works! khob khun mak na ka sohrap took yang!

again since i stalk both threads, its only fair that i also post my comment on AF too.

lol at mario for his smarty reponses to nadech! i actually tried predicting what would happen in this chapter and i assumed that you'd make yaya play hard to get. i see that i'm kinda right 555. it's true that nadech can't just come into her life and push her away whenever he wants to. yaya has done everything for him so she has the right to be mad and keep a distance with him. pokerface oh pokerface, what are you going to do to win her back? hehe

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
I'm glad Nadech finally reunited with his sister and that he and his dad have a good relationship now.

It is good that Yaya moved back to her family. Distance makes the heart grows fonder!

Can't wait to see what you have in store for Yadech!

:thanks: jjinxx!

jjinxx

Thank you Chubbycheeks and Vimalee! <3

Chapter 32 Thanks to You

Kim sat with Yaya out in the garden of the Naratwarins’ home, the two having returned from a shop where Kim helped her pick out frames for the photos that would be showcased for the charity in a few days.

“Can’t believe we waited this long to get the framework done,” Yaya said, pouring them tea. “Do you want to go visit Margie with me later?”

Giving herself some silent encouragement, Kim casually declined, “No, um, I think I’ll have to accompany P’Nadech to the hospital for his checkup.”

“Is he alright?” Yaya asked even before the question could register through her brain. She told herself to relax. It was only a checkup, after all.

Kim bit back a triumphant smile. “Well, physically, he’s healing normally. But it might take special help to let him move on psychologically.”

Yaya continued stirring her teacup. “You said he was fine.”

“Oh, he’s fine. He’s, well…” she sighed with a relief she’d held in for a long time, “P’Nadech is a lot better. It’s great seeing him interacting freely and comfortably with Mint. It makes me wonder just how much closer they would be had they never lost touch.”

“I’m glad,” Yaya said. It was the reassurance she needed—that after enduring this heart aching process, Nadech was finally willing to accept this opportunity to be happy, instead of holding a grudge against the past.

“Yaya, when are you coming back?” Kim asked. “To our house? I mean, to your house?”

Her lips parted but found no straight answer. “I’m not sure if I…I don’t know.”

Kim frowned deeply. “You’re not saying you’re not coming back. Yaya, you belong with us, with P’Nadech.”

“But does he want me to return?”

“Of course.”

“He’s asked about me?” Yaya inquired, holding her breath.

“Er, well…” Kim stammered.

Yaya sat back with a sigh.

Kim quickly explained, “He hasn’t, b-but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t want you back with us. Don’t you know how he is already? P’Nadech is just not used to talking about these things. We can all see that he misses you.”

When Yaya looked unconvinced, Kim took the teacup out of her hand and set it down. “Listen. I don’t even know how to explain how happy Nadech is after nong Mint was found. But there’s still something missing, I can tell when I look in his eyes. After living with him for so long, I can tell what he thinks, even if he tries to hide it. What’s missing is you, Yaya. I’m not trying to make you feel sorry for him or to make you feel better. Remember that we promised to be honest to each other? I’m telling you that he wants you to be with him.”

“It’s not that simple.” Yaya looked away. “I don’t want to take time away from his family. He’s just found Mint, and he has a relationship with his father to repair. It must be tiring for him, so I don’t want to be an extra person he has to take care of.” She had heard the short conversation her mother had with Nadech over the phone, well, she had heard her mother’s side of it. Would that wedding date be necessary anymore? “Besides, I don’t know if he can love me after knowing what his mom did. He must have given up on this type of relationship. It’s okay though. As long as he has his family, I’ll know that he’s doing okay.”

Kim determinedly leaned forward. “Okay? That’s the best you can wish for P’Nadech? But didn’t you say that a family means opening our hearts to each other? I feel blessed that he was still able to accept me and P’Oh all those years ago. But it wasn’t until you, until he met you that he allowed himself to be free from his distrust of people around him. You’re the one who opened up his heart. Don’t you see?” Kim took her hands. “You know how much strength it takes to put trust in someone else, especially for P’Nadech and after knowing what his mom did. You can’t leave his open heart lingering so vulnerably. You’re the one he needs.”

Yaya couldn’t help feeling guilty when seeing Kim’s large pleading eyes. Had she made the wrong decision? Was she abandoning him the way his mother had? “I don’t know about this Kim. I still think he would like time apart from me. If he does want to see me, he knows where to find me anyway.”

Crestfallen, Kim nodded. “If that’s what you want. I guess P’Nadech and nong Mint won’t be speaking for a while.”

“What do you mean?”

“She told him that if he didn’t speak to you, she’d never talk to him again.” Okay, so Mint had actually said she wouldn’t talk to him if he didn’t attend the charity, but Kim was going for dramatic effect here.

Yaya lightly bit her lip. “I’m sorry for Mint, but I’ll leave it up to Nadech.” She didn’t believe that Nadech would give in on such a simple threat. They were siblings after all, and however touched she was by everyone’s efforts to bring her and Nadech together, Yaya was beginning to feel he might not risk his heart any longer.

Kim’s phone buzzed and seeing the caller id, she hurriedly tossed the phone to an unsuspecting Yaya. “Answer it for me.”

“Why?”

“Because Mint’s not the only one who promised not to talk to P’Nadech.”

“But Kim—“

Kim pressed the ‘talk’ button and forced Yaya to hold it up to her ear. She gestured for her to talk but as the voice on the other side asked, “Hello?” Yaya’s vocals went into momentary shock. She was really hearing Nadech’s voice.

“Hello? Kim? Are you still not talking to me?”

“Th-this isn’t Kim.”

Nadech paused for a moment of perplexity before he was overtaken by a fluttering sensation that he later realized was his hastened heartbeat. “Yaya.”

How did hearing those simple sounds of her name from him make her mind blank out? She was truly pathetic when it came to Nadech. “Um…yes. Kim says she’s not talking to you.”

Recovering, Nadech replied, “Oh. Are you her mediator?”

She chewed on her lip, discouraged by his lack of interest in hearing her. “Yes.” Yaya saw Kim urging her to ask what Nadech was saying. “What do you need to tell her?”

“Please let her know that a letter arrived for her and I believe it’s about her internship.”

“He said you got a letter about your internship.”

“Oh my gosh!” Kim squealed. “Augh! Oh my gosh! What do I do, my internship! Did they accept me? Tell him to open it!”

“Kim wants you to open it.”

“I don’t want to ruin the big news for her.”

Yaya made a face at Kim. “He refuses.”

“Argh! P’Nadech is so cruel. I need to know what the answer is! Wish me luck!” She grabbed her bag and sprinted out.

“Kim! Your phone!” Yaya called after her.

“Yaya?”

“…Yes?”

“Is she coming home?”

“…Yeah. She just left.”

“Are you biting your lip?”

Yaya stopped doing it, awed. “How did you know?”

“There’s a pause before your answers.”

She tried to refrain from her nervous habit. “Um, how’s Uncle doing? I haven’t gotten a chance to talk to him.”

He wanted to tell her that she should return to find out for herself, but then again, she must really not want to see him if she couldn’t even visit for the sake of the other house members. “Dad’s fine. His health is better and he’s taking a break from work for a while.”

“Good. And are you two…” Should she be prying? “Never mind. Take care then. I have some business to finish.”

“Thanks, you too.” Nadech gripped his phone, not wanting to hang up until she did. He waited to hear the tone.

Yaya wanted to hang on a little longer, so maybe she could feel he was nearer to her. When they realized neither of them had hung up yet, they said at the same time, “Nadech?” “Yaya?”

Another pause stretched out between them.

“Nadech. I’m truly thankful that your family is happy.”

“Yeah. It’s a blessing to have everyone I love with me.” Except for you, he thought. He closed his eyes for a second, wishing she was beside him to share all of his thoughts and good feelings with. He wanted to hear her voice right next to him in person, to have nothing but tangible air between them and to be able to look into her eyes.

“Well then, good bye.”

“Bye.”

This time, Yaya made herself end the call, otherwise she might reach the end of her will power and find her way to see him before she could stop herself.

Nadech dropped his phone on his bed and ran his hand through his hair.

-------------
Oh glanced at Nadech who sat on the passenger’s side of the car, face turned towards the window but obviously not paying attention to whatever his eyes saw. For some reason, he had grown more silent today. Oh was used to hearing little from Nadech, it was part of who he is. But this was a defeated silence that didn’t sit well with Oh. He would have thought that now, everything was finally falling into place for his friend, who deserved the entire world. But of course, a big part of the picture was still missing.

Making up his mind, Oh took them towards another destination.

“Where are we going?” Nadech asked, now searching the area for clues. Once he recognized the location, he sighed. “Go home, Oh.”

“Sorry pal. This is for your own good.”

When they stopped in front of Yaya’s house, Nadech glared at Oh. “What do you expect for me to do?”

“Go see her. Say hi. I don’t know, it’s kind of hard for me to imagine what you two would talk about, but the fact is that you know you want to talk with her.”

“Right,” Nadech said impatiently, “What I also know is that she doesn’t want to talk to me.”

“How do you really know? What you know might not be what you think you know, you know?” Oh looked up excitedly. “Oooh! How about this? Kim told me Yaya’s parents aren’t home tonight. You should go stand outside her window and serenade her! Or…or climb the fire escape ladder. I remember seeing it during your engagement.”

Nadech returned his suggestions with a flat stare. “Are those serious ideas?”

“Yeah, you know, be romantic. Do those teenage lovey dovey things that you never did before.”

“Oh, that’s ridiculous. Why would I do those things? If I want to see someone, I wouldn’t climb up a ladder. I’d walk straight to their front door and knock.”

“Pft,” Oh scoffed, “As if you have the guts. I mean, you’ve hardly made any attempts to contact her. I think you’re scared that she hates you now.”

“She doesn’t hate me. I just talked to her this afternoon.”

Ah, Oh thought silently. That must be what made him so moody. “Well my friend, although I think Yaya would appreciate an apology for the way you made her worry, I’ll give you a break and we’ll just go home tonight, seeing as you’re not ready to face up to your fears.”

“I’m not afraid.”

Nadech could not believe he’d gotten himself into this situation. After his declaration, Oh had basically dragged him out and left him stranded on the front steps of Yaya’s house, with nothing but his crutch at his side to keep him standing.

“When I get home…” he shook his head. But seeing as he was already at her front door, he might as well greet her. It’s kind of late though, he thought, seeing the dusk set in. “Maybe I should just grab a cab.” But he still hadn’t apologized to Yaya for the way he’d treated her. “Damn Oh.”

Taking a deep breath, Nadech straightened his posture and reached a finger out to ring the doorbell. Just as he touched the button, his heart raced nervously and he changed his mind. But next thing he knew, his body shifted forward, putting weight on the doorbell so that it rang. Flustered at this spontaneous moment that he had no idea what to react with, Nadech did something he’d never done before. He leaped into the bushes.

One of the maids went to the door. She opened it, but was met with nothing except the night. Stepping outside cautiously, her foot hit against something and she was astonished to find a single crutch on the ground.

Nadech cursed at himself for being so foolish. He should have just stayed and faced her. Was he not Nadech Phraisong who was never scared of anything? How humiliating would it be if someone caught him, which seemed inevitable since he was now limping with no support around the yard.

He stopped in his tracks, as he heard something approaching him. And then, a small dog leaped in front of his path.

“Max!” he whispered. Surprisingly, it was nice seeing the puppy again. “How are ya, little guy?”

Also seemingly ecstatic to see his master, Max barked. Loudly. Nadech could hear voices from the front of the house, so he made his way around the corner. “Quiet! Bad boy Max, shush.” But he couldn’t get Max to stop following him or to somehow turn down his volume. Nadech’s hand latched onto something hard, and he discovered a ladder attached to the wall of the house. Though leaves and vines curled around it, he could just make out its outline, so he pulled himself up, very much aware that this was probably the stupidest thing he has done in his life.

“Go Max!” he shooed, while climbing higher, away from the voices that were searching for the intruder.

Yaya frowned in confusion. The maid had just informed her that she had found a crutch at the front door. She was about to head downstairs to investigate when something knocked at her window. There were no tree branches that could hit her window, so she crept to the open square. Just as she reached it to look out, Nadech’s face popped up right in front of her.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, although the bigger question was why he was hanging outside her second story window.

He stuttered for an answer. “I…I was just…going to say hi but…” His foot slipped. Yaya lurched forward to grab his arms. Together, they helped him climb into her room.

“Are you okay?” She put his arm around her shoulder and helped him to sit down. “How did you even get up the ladder? Is your leg hurting?”

Nadech couldn’t take his eyes off her, now that she was finally in front of him. He just kept finding evidence of how twisted love was, to let him meet Yaya in such unfavorable circumstances, but this time, he was the one climbing over her walls, trying to reach her heart, even if he didn't know if he was worthy of it.

“I’m fine,” he said so that she wouldn’t worry.

“What in the world were you thinking? You could have gotten an even worse injury.”

He swallowed hard, not knowing how to explain his actions that even he thought had no excuse. “Uh, it was Oh’s idea.”

She wrinkled her nose. “And since when have you ever agreed to Oh’s lesser ideas? Don’t make your concussion an excuse because I know your head has healed already.”

He peered back at her earnestly. “How do you know?”

“Uh,” she glanced away from him, “n-none of your business.” She had in fact made sure Kim updated her every step of the way towards his recovery. “It’s getting late. I’ll call Oh to come pick you up.”

She got up but stopped when he said, “Do you want to hurry your time with me?”

Yaya turned away from him, frowning. “Are you here just so Mint will talk to you again? Kim told me that she’s upset with you. I’ll talk to her for you.” She didn’t want a rift to begin between them already on her account. She walked a few steps away, folding her arms across her chest.

Nadech said, “She’s my sister. I don’t worry that she’ll never talk to me again. Do you think then, that I have no reason or right to see you?”

“That’s up to you. You weren’t particularly pleased to be in my company before.”

“I…I was angry about everything that had to do with my family and for being kept in the dark for so long.”

“I’m sorry about hiding the truth from you. I wasn’t trying to hurt you—“

“I know. I know that but I took it out on you. I’m sorry. And I'm sorry for selfishly making you and everyone else worry. I want you to know that I never believed you were at fault. You didn’t deserve to be spoken to that way.”

Yaya stuck out her chin. She had felt hurt by his accusations, though she knew they were a result of the stress he was put under during all the chaos. “I’m glad you understand.”

His heart dropped, seeing her manners that expressed she was indeed unhappy about his past behavior. “I didn’t come to hear you forgive me.” Here goes. He gulped in some air. “I just wanted to let you know how much you mean to me.”

Yaya didn’t dare turn to him. His words were enough to make her feel weak just standing there.

“And to thank you. Thank you for the time you stayed by my side. Thank you for being my friend. Thank you for making me laugh. Thank you for never giving up, even when I had given up. You knew I would be at the hospital, so you brought Mint there. Thank you for not losing faith in someone like me. Thank you for giving me something worthwhile to live the present for, and therefore, allowing me to forgive the past.” Thank you for letting me love you. This was all he could say to the person who had unexpectedly become so important to him. It wasn’t enough, he knew, but he had nothing else to give; yet nothing else was as important as admitting to Yaya how much she meant to him. With a tone reminiscent of his business attitude, he said, “Have a good night.” Nadech walked his uneven steps out of her room and down the stairs.

Rubbing her tears away, she rushed out but went no further than the front door. She watched as Nadech faded into the street. Like a dream.

-------------
The next day, Nadech was preparing some paperwork with Mario. They were in Norachai’s home office.

“You don’t have to return to work so soon, you know.”

Nadech shrugged. “What else should I do?”

“Rest. Take a trip. There’s this really cool place called Khao Yai that has a park and hey, what a coincidence, the first Golden Bridge resort is also nearby and,” Oh clapped once, “what another coincidence! The charity that is tomorrow will be held there! We’re all leaving tonight if you wanna join. Just saying.” He stopped acting so chirpy when Nadech sent him a warning glare. “Fine, fine…seems like nong Mint won’t be talking you for a looong time.”

Oh looked up at one of the shelves. “I wonder what…”

“What?”

“Kim said the night Uncle collapsed he was on the step stool trying to reach for something. He’s a pretty tall guy so I can only guess that he wanted to get that.” he pointed to a box on the very top of the shelf.

The box had been there since Nadech could remember but he’d never paid attention to it. He set the step stool down and reached up. He and Oh stared at it like two kids who had found a forbidden treasure. The box was small, brown, old and so light Nadech thought it might be empty. He opened it and retrieved the contents.

“Are they pictures?”

“Yeah,” Nadech answered. There were three of them and that was it. On top was a photo of young Nadech sitting on the familiar fence at the estate with his father standing next to him, making sure he didn’t fall off.

Oh snickered. “You’re what, five years old?”

He went on to the next. There was Mina holding baby Mint, the same photo that Nadech kept with him. Nadech once again discovered how much his father never forgot about his mom and Mint. He flipped to the next and final picture. Confused, Nadech tilted his head as if that might help him recall when it had occurred.

“Who’s that?”

“Dunno.”

The little boy was obviously Nadech, but right next to him stood a little girl with loose curls and wearing a green dress. Both of their clothes were stained with food. Little Nadech was wearing a scowl while his eyes were peeking at the girl, whose smile – though showing a gap where her missing tooth should be – called up the image of another person in Nadech’s mind very vividly. But how was it possible?

“Are you two done in here?” Norachai entered with Mint assisting him. She frowned at Nadech and looked away stubbornly.

“Hey Uncle, who’s this girl in the picture with Nadech?”

Norachai knew exactly what photo they were referring to. He chuckled warmly. “Nadech, can you guess?”

“But how? And when did she..?”

“Let me see,” Mint took the photo. “Aww, so cute! P’Nadech had a girlfriend!”

“That girl is Yaya.”

Mint’s and Oh’s jaws dropped. “Really?”

“Wow. What a coincidence,” Mint said in awe, looking back to the picture.

“Was it really a coincidence, father?” Nadech asked.

Norachai seated himself down behind the desk, beaming with a twinkle that could never leave a person even as he ages. “I held a party one evening for my business partners and invited their families. Khun Arich and his wife and daughter were there. I suppose Yaya’s adventurous spirit compined with her boredom of the adult interaction led her to exploring the house on her own. Nadech refused to come down, of course.” He paused to allow himself a humorous moment of remembrance. “The next thing we knew, Nadech and Yaya were racing down the stairs and flew into the kitchen. They began to have an eating contest. Afterwards, I couldn’t resist capturing them them in that photo.”

“I bet Nadech lost,” Oh laughed.

Norachai smiled. “When Khun Arich mentioned his daughter last year, I though…she might still have the same affect on Nadech. I wanted to see him happy and full of the life that he once loved.”

It had been his father’s plan all along. “Dad,” Nadech replaced the pictures in the box, “Thank you for everything.”

“Uncle’s a genius.” Oh and Mint high-fived one another.

Bittersweet Yadech moment...more confrontation to come for them but it'll be lighter, now that Nadech has gotten his feelings off his chest honestly.
Thank you, thank you for reading thus far. Not too long now until the end. I'm going for three chapters, but nothing concrete yet. <3 Let us have faith in Pokerface and Princess.
Below is Nadech and Yaya's side story. I've been building up to reveal it for a while now. I suppose some might wonder why I didn't have the two of them retain the memory of their past encounter, but it wasn't necessary because they were going to meet again (thanks to Nadech's dad) and while the past, and especially happy memories, can give us strength, well...it's how we use those memories in the present that counts the most ^^ Enjoy.

jjinxx

SIDE STORY 5 Sunshine and Rain Past Encounter

Nadech yet again rejected his dad’s request to join the guests downstairs. He hated leaving his room. He hadn’t gone to school in almost two months anyway. Fourty six days, to be exact. That was how many days had passed by since mom and Da disappeared, just went away like a torturous mirage. Nadech felt just as if he was stranded in a cruel desert with no will or desire to find his way out. Ironically, he had cried and cried and even then, the people who were truly lost in deserts would lap up his endless tears with envy.

His young body had thinned out due to his disinterest in food and he had lost touch very quickly with his school friends, who had most likely forgotten him also, seeing as children’s minds stuck mostly to people who were present in their lives.

However, that was not the same case as with his beloved mother and sister. All Nadech could think about was them and more to the point, the fact they were not with him.

His blank mind was brought to attention when an annoying knocking started at his door. Nadech didn’t think that was his dad, who always knocked gently, no matter how many times he didn’t open the door. This pounding was quite insolent and abusive to his ears. Marching over, Nadech threw the door open and prepared to scold the rude person. His words stuck in his throat as a girl ran inside his room.

“Close the door! And lock it too,” Yaya ordered. “Hurry up before they find me!”

Frowning, Nadech crossed his arms. “What are you doing inside my room?”

“Oh, excuse me.” She smiled with a level of adorableness that would make all adults fall to her feet, yet had no effect on the boy in front of her. “I didn’t know this was your room. I just don’t want to get caught. It’s really boring downstairs with the adults talking about their business and things.”

“If it’s so boring, why did you come here in the first place?” he demanded, not remembering that most children had to obey their parents, however much they would rather be doing something else. “And I didn’t invite you into my room. No one is allowed in here.”

She looked around. “But it’s so dark in here.” She gasped. “Oh! Are you a ghost!?”

To Nadech’s surprise, she skipped up to him with excitement and touched his hand. His fingers tingled. She made a disappointed pout. “Aw, you’re just a real boy.”

Glaring at her for not considering his space, he ordered, “Get out.”

“No,” she said with her nose in the air. “I’m not going out unless you do too.”

“I’m never leaving this room ever!” he declared. “Now get out.”

“Never?” She repeated in awe. “That’s a long time. Won’t you get tired? Don’t you want to see the world?”

“I have a window,” he pointed to it.

“But that’s lame.” She puffed up proudly. “I’m going to get to go on an expedition soon. Mommy says I’m old enough. And in the future, I’m traveling to go to school in another country!”

“Good for you,” he said unenthusiastically. “I don’t care about that stuff. I don’t want to go to school.”

“Why not? What if you become stupid?”

“I’m not stupid!” he denied, offended.

“But you’re just a little boy. Educated people can help their families with a lot of stuff.”

Nadech considered that and realized it might be true. If he didn’t grow up and graduate, and if he stayed in his room forever, who would find mom and Da and bring them back? He began to think of maybe going to school again, just for a while.

Yaya chirped, “Aren’t you hungry? They have food downstairs that smells really good!”

“No! Tell them to throw it all away because I don’t want any of it!”

She gasped. “Don’t you know that there are people who can’t even afford a cup of milk? How can you say that?”

Nadech fell silent. He suddenly imagined nong Da crying because she was hungry. What if she and mommy couldn’t find food? What if someone kidnapped them and forced them to starve.

Seeing how upset he was, Yaya humbled herself. “I’m sorry. But it’s just so boring down there. How about this? If you go downstairs too, we can play together. Here, I’ll share my favorite lollipop with you.” She loosened her mini drawstring purse at her side and pulled out a red lollipop. “It’s so yummy and Ken buys it just for me! Here.”

By this time, Nadech was quite fed up. He had planned on having his quiet evening just like usual and here was this little snob who just burst in without permission and brought up a lot of issues for him to consider. He opened his mouth to tell her no, when Yaya stuck her lollipop into his mouth, eager to get him to be her friend.

Instantly, Nadech’s mouth heated up and his tongue stung. “Blech!” He spit it out and threw it against the wall. “I hate spicy stuff! You brat, why would you make me eat that?”

Hurt by his words and not any happier that he had broken her favorite spicy mango lollipop, Yaya pursed her lips and dug in her purse for her juice bottle that she always carried. “You meanie! I just wanted to be nice and share with you. How dare you throw my candy away?” She untwisted the cap and poured the juice on him.

“I’m all dirty now!” Nadech complained. He hated getting his clothes dirty, it was such a bother having to change. “You have no right to treat your elder this way!”

“Elder? Ha!” She flipped her curls over her shoulder. “You don’t look old or strong. In fact, I’m bigger to you.” It was true; Yaya was the same height as Nadech, but with her shoes that had little heels on them, she was almost an inch taller. “I bet you’re not strong at all. Look, you’re skinny too.”

“I am strong! We’re not all pigs that eat all the time!”

“You’re calling me a pig?” She poured more juice on him. “My mommy says I’m a growing girl and I have to eat so I’ll grow up to be smart and be able to take care of her and daddy. What can you do, huh? And it’s all your fault that I wasted my juice and candy.”

“How is it my fault?!” he asked in disbelief. “You did it yourself!” In his mind, he was worrying that if he didn’t grow up strong and big, he wouldn’t be able to protect his mom and Da when they came home. He would be useless. “Stop it! I bet I could eat a lot more than you and be stronger!”

“No way! I can eat a LOT!”

The two children stopped for a breath, then pushed and shoved their way out of Nadech’s room and down the stairs where the adults watched in astonishment as they flew past and thundered into the kitchen where Aunt Pam nearly dropped a platter of cakes.

Yaya licked her fingers triumphantly. Four plates later she was sitting at the kitchen counter while Nadech caught his breath beside her, trying to get used to his uncomfortably full stomach.

“I win!” she announced, clapping her hands.

“Okay, then,” her mom said sternly. “Now that you’ve had your fun, it’s time to get cleaned up. You’ve been very naughty. You’ll have to apologize to Khun Norachai before we leave.”

“Everything is quite fine,” Norachai said and waved her concerns away. His lips twitched with amusement watching Nadech cast frowning glances at Yaya. “Before they’re cleaned up, may I please ask for something?”

Nadech couldn’t stay still. “Do we have to?” he asked his dad.

“Just one picture, I promise.”

“Don’t be a sore loser,” Yaya said, smoothing out her green dress, although her appearance could not transform any neater what with all the food stains she had disregarded during their eating contest.

Nadech rolled his eyes. He couldn’t believe he’d lost when the girl was one tooth short. “Whatever. Can we please get this over with father?”

“Look at the camera then.” Some of his guests watched on good-naturedly, amused with the kids. Those who were closer to Norachai understood that this was a rare moment in which Nadech was uncharacteristically energetic.

“Cheese!” Yaya grinned at the camera. The camera flashed as Nadech took a peek at his rival, determined that from now on, he would keep eating just enough so that when his mom and sister returned, no one would be able to hurt them…

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
"loving SDLF too much, so much, very much right now......"

Oh jjinxx, have you read the article in the Yadech Live Magazine translated by m3lhouse at Yadech Forum?

I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

Can't wait for next chapter!

:thanks: again jjinxx!

jjinxx

@chubbycheeks: I hope you had a safe journey and that you have fun in Thailand! 555 I'm glad you enjoyed Oh's character; he's less pushy than Mark is with Nadech, but he's supposed to know Nadech very well and just mostly go with the flow when it comes to stubborn Nadech. <3

@Vimalee: lol i love P'Bird's song! thanks for letting me about the article; it was adorable and (augh!) he mentioned the present. it's great, yes, Nadech take your time with your ideal girl...XD

Chapter 33 Always

The charity was opened with a welcome speech from both Jack and Norachai. Countless members of society were present to support the organization. Many were drawn towards the gallery, viewing breath-taking stills of nature at its best and worst.

“Thank you, thank you everyone for your support.” Yaya humbly accepted everyone’s compliments for her artwork. “We’re very pleased that you’ve all taken the time to come out here.”

“Of course, with as beautiful of a venue as this, who could resist anyway?” Margie said. “I’m thinking of vacationing here next year. The resort has such a classic style. Say, isn’t the owner going to come?”

“Uncle Norachai is at the entrance.”

“You know who I meant.”

“Well, I don’t have an answer for you,” Yaya turned her attention to the guests once more. She shouldn’t expect to see Nadech, she told herself. His words from the other night had not been forgotten, but they had such a tone of finality, like those were his last words to her. Yaya put a smile on her face for the sake of everyone around her.

“Ladies!” Porshe dropped next to them. “Jack just told me that we’re bringing in a high amount of donations and we’re not even finished yet. There’s still the auction too!”

“Yaya, Margie, may I please have your assistance?” Jack requested. They waved to Porshe and followed Jack to a smaller side room that had transformed into a dressing room.

“Um, why are we in here?” Margie asked suspiciously.

Jack bounced his fingertips together and looked at them with doe eyes. “I have a huge favor for you to do for me.”

“No,” Margie stated right away.

“Oh come on! We really need your help. Just think of all the rain forests you’ll be saving with each bid.”

“So you’re pimping us for the rain forests?” Margie joked. She sighed and gave in. “Fine. But Yaya has to be in it too.” They peered at Yaya earnestly.

Yaya couldn’t reject her friends, especially not Jack who had poured his heart and soul into the charity. Besides, she had promised herself to give every bit of support she had towards the organization. “Okay.”

“Ladies and gentlemen! We will now begin one of our main attractions for the charity, the Tour Auction. Within our organization are members devoted to giving to others, and now is your chance to not only get to know them, but also win an opportunity to go on a special tour of Khao Yai national park accompanied by our representatives who have volunteered for this special event. Everyone may bid, even fellow members. There are men and women volunteers so everybody has a chance to win. The rules are simple. The highest bidder of each volunteer will win one day and one tour of the national park with that volunteer. All proceeds will be further donated to the International Nature’s Society. Let the auction begin!”

When Margie’s turn came, she pouted at Yaya and said, “Here goes.”

“I wish I was in the crowd,” Yaya said, “I would outbid everyone for you.”

“Thanks girl,” Margie laughed. “See you in a bit.

After a few minutes, Yaya’s name was announced, along with the recognition as the organization’s photographer. Like a model, she appeared on the makeshift runway, wearing a white flowy dress made from recycled cotton with a green sash cinching her waist. The bids began and climbed until she realized the person who kept upping the price was Yuke. She tried not to let her disappointment show.

“One million.”

“One million, going once; one million going twice; one million! Khun Urassaya will be accompanying the gentleman in blue, number 18!”

Yaya’s eyes glided past Yuke who was wearing black and landed upon the person at the back of the crowd. She nearly swayed off the stage. The announcer continued, “And the winner is none other than Nadech Phraisong! He definitely came through to support his fiancée. Now, on to the next rep…”

Yaya felt as if she floated down the stage and returned to the dressing room. She was given no time to change when Margie nearly yanked her arm off, dragging her out to the side of the gallery.

He appeared then, like a snapshot come to life in her imagination. Everything had happened quite suddenly, even though the long day had begun at dawn for her and many hours had passed before he arrived. She turned but Margie had already slipped away unnoticed.

“I believe I’ve been rewarded with your company,” Nadech said.

“I should stay until everything is wrapped up.”

He strolled forward, never taking his eyes off of her. “The rules don’t dictate the timing of this tour we are to go on.”

“I really can’t just leave right now.” Each echoing step that he came closer, she felt like her breathing quickened.

“The second favor you owe, then,” Nadech said, stopping in front of her, “I’ll use it now. Come with me. I’ve already told Khun Jack of my request, so there’s nothing to worry about.” With that, he turned around and headed to the entrance lobby.

-------------
They weren’t at the park. Nadech had driven to a vast empty field of prairie grass near the park. The two stood outside the car and wondered if the other person was able to hear the pounding of his and her heart.

Yaya hadn’t stopped thinking about his words to her that night at her house. She finally broke the silence. “Don’t you want to sit inside?” She was sure his leg wasn’t completely well yet.

He didn’t answer her, but asked his own question. “Why didn’t you visit?” He finally turned to face her with his thin grim lips. “Excuse my abruptness. That night I came to your house, I wanted to tell you everything that was on my mind, but it seems I haven’t finished. Tell me why you didn’t come.”

She swallowed hard. “I thought you would want time to get used to the changes in your family.”

“What does that have to do with your absence?”

“I…didn’t want to be a hindrance. There were a lot of things you had to deal with.”

“Didn’t you tell you me that my issues were very much your business? And that you are a part of my family?”

She avoided his gaze, a guilty murmur starting in her heart. “Yes. And I meant it. But –“

“Did you really think of me as a patient whom no longer needed your treatment?”

She was aghast with his accusation. “No. Do you still believe that?” Disappointed that her intentions to keep him happy had not gotten across, Yaya frowned and turned away, her body stiffened in distress. “I’ve never thought that you are just someone I have to pity. If anything, I thought you were someone who didn’t need anyone else in your life, in order to keep on living.”

He gave a wry smile that she didn’t see. “Did I really leave that cruel of an impression in your mind?”

There he goes again. “Can’t you understand anything I say to you? Why is it that I can never communicate exactly what I think to you?” She walked with heavy steps away from him.

“Yaya wait.” Nadech stretched his arm forward, but she brushed away his touch. “Please listen.”

Again, she felt him reach for her, following her, so she turned, only to have him lose balance as their hands clasped. Together, they landed on the ground.

She could count the lashes shadowing each of his eyes that gleamed down at her with soft determination. If she had been on her feet, seeing his tender gaze would have buckled her knees once again.

“You are someone who I want to hear,” he said, “No matter what it is, if it’s your voice carrying those words, I want to hear them. And I understand. I understand that you meant well towards me. I understand that you care about the people you love. I understand that you love me. But you did leave me by myself when I was hoping to share the joy that had come into my life.”
“Nadech,” she knit her brow solemnly, “I didn’t forget about you.”
“Well…” he pushed himself up and lifter her by her elbow so that they faced each other, “You didn’t come see me at the hospital or when I returned home. I didn’t receive a farewell or anything.”
She realized she should have at least told him in person about her decision to give his family space. “I’m sorry. I didn’t intend to abandon you. But I thought that you no longer needed me.” Yaya felt him knock the side of her head.
He frowned in displeasure. “You don't get to drop into my life and then push yourself away. It doesn't work that way." She recalled her own words being used against her, and he was just as right as she had been when she said them to him. "I do need you, dummy.” He sighed and staggered his way to his feet, as she quickly got up to help him. Once they were at the car again, he reached in for something and held out a photo album to her.

It was the same one she had made for him. She accepted it and flipped through it, reminiscing the moments that each photo was captured in. There he was on the playground, the first time she had seen him so free from himself. In another one, he was in the distance, seated on Waayoo. When it came to the pages she had not worked on, she slowed, her fingers trembling. Her face smiled from behind each glossy page; the pictures taken at Khao Yai. She looked up at Nadech, her eyes shining, before continuing.

How did someone who claimed to find no interest in the beauty of the world have the ability to capture every detail of life’s little and most captivating images? As a photographer who had done countless portraits for a variety of individuals, Yaya could honestly say Nadech knew exactly what the camera liked. It wasn’t herself that interested Yaya most about the pictures; it was the way he had snapped each moment when her face and body held the most expressive emotions.

“These are beautiful. They’re the work of a professional.”

“It was easy,” he said, “because the person in the pictures has the ability to sweep everything else from my mind so that she stands in the spotlight.”

She answered with her biggest smile, words lost by the realization that he was always thinking of her. When she finally turned the last page, she saw a much older photograph.

Yaya examined it with interest and her eyes lit up. “This is us? How come I don’t remember it?”

Nadech smiled then and met her gaze. “It was you all along, always.”

She glowed with pleasure.

His hand pushed her hair from her face.“I missed you.”

Then she could no longer hold herself back and fell into his arms where she belonged. “Me too. I’m sorry.”

“You better be. Everyone at home is giving me the cold shoulder because apparently I’m a coward patient of cupid, thanks to you.” He hugged her back tightly, turning his face into her neck. “Never let go.”

She nodded into his shoulder. When they drew apart, Nadech leaned himself against the car to rest his leg.

“Why don’t we sit on the grass,” she suggested. She helped him over to a soft patch on the ground. The photo album laid endearing at her side. Inhaling deeply, while curling her fingers around his, she asked, “How has everything been at home?” She had heard plenty from Kim and Mint but wanted to be assured through Nadech himself.

“Everything is like an incredibly good dream. Especially now,” he laid his eyes on her with intent. Her face swelled with a wide grin. “It’s almost too good to be true. You should help me make sure I’m not asleep.” Nadech pointed to his cheek.

With his playful smirk, Yaya knew he wanted her kiss, but instead, she pinched his cheek. “There. Now you know all of this is real. And even if you were to wake up, I’d still be right beside you.”

“But you weren’t for the last few weeks,” he reminded her with a downcast expression.

Pursing her lips, she leaned forward and pecked his cheeks where she had pinched him. Nadech’s lips raised in a satisfied smile. “Mint and I have come to terms with mom’s past. I want to be worthy of my father and sister. I’m not going to let memories hold me back from life. My family needs me.” They exchanged meaningful glances, in which he knew this was what she wanted him to know all along. He looked across the land. “It’s beautiful isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” she laughed softly, “and thanks to your donation, Jack will be able to help save this amazing wildlife.”

“Speaking of my donation, I’d like to say that as someone who is not merely…a stranger interested in wildlife, I think the one day I bid for is not enough.”

“Oh? What do you think you should receive then?”

“A lifetime.” He linked his fingers between hers. “So now that your work is finished, you’re going to move back to your room, right?”

She blushed. “If you’d like.”

“I’d like that very very very much,” he emphasized.

Yaya’s phone trilled with a call. Nadech sighed. He had hoped there wouldn’t be any reception out here. When Yaya hung up, she informed him, “They want us back at Golden Bridge for the closing.” She could tell he didn’t want to go back but they had no choice. “Don’t worry. I won’t make you interact with anyone you don’t want to.”

“I didn’t come out here to be alone,” he said with a piercing stare, “I came to be alone with you.”

Yaya thought she might never stop being happy, as long as Nadech was there with her. She could continue to see the sunshine in every dark corner. Most of all, she was glad he had found that ray of light and followed it out into the world with an open heart.

“Were you really going to go on the tour with another person?” he asked.

She replied, “If another person had made the highest bid then I would have to keep the promise of the auction and go with him or her.” She got up and held out her hand to him.

He considered this answer gravely. “Okay. But just as long as you haven’t forgotten that this,” he took her hand and raised himself up, “belongs,” one arm pulled her closer to his body, “to me.”

Their noses were nearly touching.

“Always,” she whispered, and felt his smile against her lips.

-------------
Nadech and Yaya returned to the resort to the congratulations of their friends and families, as if they had just gotten engaged.

Oh said to Nadech in an undertone, “Nice move. But make sure no one dares to bid against you for her again.”

“I think I have a way,” Nadech said. “Khun Champa.”

“Nadech, call her mom,” Norachai told him.

He hesitated, but seeing her glowing smile, he relaxed. “Not to take attention away from this event, but Yaya and I are finally ready to find out that wedding date now, mom.” And he did mean now.

This received a series of excited exclamations around them.

“Us too,” Mark chimed in, holding Mint’s hand up.

Nadech had of course, gotten used to the idea that the two of them were engaged also, but he was not convinced they were ready for a marriage. “Oh heck no Mark. I just found my baby sister and you think I’ll give her up to you?”

Mark spluttered in defense. “B-but we’re engaged!”

“Well you can look forward to a wedding in ten years,” Nadech said decisively. “And Mint has to focus on her studies anyway, isn’t that right?”

“Yes brother,” Mint replied. She soothingly patted Mark’s arm and whispered, “Don’t worry, you won’t have to wait ten years.”

While the others chatted, Mint pulled Yaya to the side.

“Oh Mint,” Yaya hugged her, “we’re going to be sisters! I felt from our first meeting that we had a connection.”

“Same here. And thank you for everything Yaya.” Mint glanced at Nadech. “But please let me ask one more thing from you. Always love my brother. I know I have no reason to doubt you at all, that’s why I can ask this from you. The more I got to know P’Nadech, the more I saw how big his heart is. It’s just been empty before he met you. So please fill his heart up with as much love as possible. He needs you. People might think that of the two of us siblings, I was the less fortunate one, but I never felt anything was missing from my life. That must be because destiny intended for us to reunite in the end. And it’s thanks to you. You were by his side. You never gave up, even when he pushed you away. Yaya, you’re the angel who brought me to him. I can’t thank you enough.”

Tears pricked her eyes at Mint’s earnest desire to protect Nadech. “I promise I won’t let him go.”

jjinxx

chubbycheeks

imma kick ur-ass-aya !
thanks hon! this chapter is soo cute! nadech using yaya's words back at her and claiming her! :cloud9: now im anxious about your wedding scene! 555

jjinxx

Chapter 34 Their Right Moments

The wedding of Nadech and Yaya was to be held one month later.

“Is he being a good boy?” Yaya asked into the phone. “Okay, good. Remember to give Max his rubber ducky when he has a bath. Thanks Auntie Pam!”

She and Nadech were waiting in the lobby of Golden Bridge Resort. They had returned to Khorat with a single week left to the wedding.

“I still think Mint should have come with us,” he commented.

“She’ll be fine with Mark. Honestly, he’s your friend.” She shook her head at his brotherly overprotectiveness of Mint. The poor girl would never get any freedom if she wasn’t so strong-willed against her brother. “They should all be here soon.”

Nadech held himself still while she pushed his hair away from his forehead as it had grown longer. “We don’t really have to do this. I mean, what’s the point of a bachelor and bachelorette party anyway?”

“Well, I suppose it’s to enjoy our time as single people.”

“But we’re not single. We’re engaged,” he pointed out.

She winced. “True…oh I don’t know. Ask Oh, it was all his idea.”

Nadech didn’t understand celebrating one’s last days as a ‘free man.’ There was nothing to celebrate except the prospect that he would be with Yaya forever. However, he had gone along with everyone’s plans since they were all excitedly agreeing to coming to the resort even before he consented.

When the rest of the group arrived, the men and women parted ways to their separate suites, where they would rest for the night and then spend the next full day segregated by gender.

-------------
The guys lounged around in the pool for the morning, but soon tired of it. After lunch, they gathered comfortably in the living room of the suite and turned on the television.

“What do you think they’re doing?” Oh asked, referring to the women, who were rooming just down the hall.

“Probably girl stuff like painting their nails and fixing their hair,” Boy popped open some soda bottles for them.

Oh twisted his mouth in boredom. “Maybe we should check up on them. In case they need anything.”

Nadech flipped through a catalog, “They’re fine, leave them alone. That was the point of this right?”

“Fine…they’re probably having a blast with male entertainers or something. Just saying.” Nadech, Mark and Boy gave Oh peeved glares.

“I highly doubt the older ones would allow something inappropriate like that in front of Mint and Kim,” Nadech shook his head. A heartbeat of silence passed before he tossed the catalog away. “But just in case, let’s make sure they’re alright.” However much he doubted Oh’s theory, he didn’t like the idea that it was possible Yaya was having too much fun with her last day as a ‘free woman.’

They all got to their feet. Mark peeked outside the door and the others tiptoed out after him. They inched single file down the hall, but froze when the elevator rang and opened to let voices drift towards them, voices that they all recognized very well.

“Back! Back!” Mark hissed in panic. Unfortunately for him, being the one at the front meant the other guys had already returned safely to their room, leaving him to be spotted by Kim.

“P’Mark? What’s up?”

He slowly swiveled around to face them, grinning exaggeratedly. “I was going to…ask you guys if you have some…flour?”

“Flour?” Mint repeated, brow raised high. “What for?”

“You know, like when a neighbor needs flour, you should lend him some.”

“Why didn’t you ask room service?” Margie suggested, while Taew and Yaya glanced at one another with knowing smiles.

Mark face-palmed himself. “Good idea! Duh, what was I thinking? Heh. Well, later then…”

“They were canoeing!” Mark barged back in. “The girls weren’t even in their room this whole day. And they said they were getting ready to go out again to ride elephants!”

“Elephants. Why didn’t we think of that?” Oh pouted.

“Wasn’t this trip your idea?” Boy reminded him. “I thought you had something planned out for us.”

“I thought YOU had something planned out for us,” Oh shot back. “You know this area best.”

Nadech frowned. “Do elephants come with seat belts? If any of them fall off—“

“Dude, you’re worrying way too much,” Mark tsked.

“Well, sounds like they’re having fun. What about us?”

“Isn’t it traditional to go to a strip club or something?” Boy wondered.

This received a variety of disinterested grunts and a quiet, “I’d rather work,” from Nadech.

Boy shrugged. “It was just a suggestion.” He caught Oh’s eyes. “Uh, which I was totally not into anyway.” It was now known to everyone that Boy intended to pursue Kim. “But the resort has a list of activities and places we can visit.”

“Should we go biking?” Oh asked.

“Too hot. I still can’t believe you finally learned how to bike,” Nadech marveled.

“Right?” Oh said proudly. “Thanks to Taew, I’m thinking of joining a 5k race. Anyway, I’m feeling kind of lazy right now. Let’s just relax for a bit while deciding what to do.”

Mark spotted a stack of DVDs that he had brought along and with a devilish grin, he decided to expose his pals to some healthy drama.

“I’m going to the bathroom,” Boy announced.

“I’m going to put in something,” Mark crawled over to the TV.

“Ooh, do you have Transformers?” Oh asked.

“Yeah…” Mark answered.

Several minutes later…

“What the hell. This isn’t Transformers. Unless they’ve come out with part four starring Thai people?” Oh gaped at the screen.

Boy reappeared and leaned on the back of the couch, narrowing his gaze at the TV. “Why are you watching lakorn?”

Oh looked at Nadech with bug eyes, then questioned Mark, “Why ARE we watching lakorn?”

“Because I refuse to be the only one who’s fallen prey to the twisted world of lakorn,” Mark said tensely.

“Wait, Boy, how did you know this was lakorn in the first place?” Oh asked.

“My girl cousins watch them all the time. My brother and I could never watch TV when the girls were over. This one looks familiar. Gosh, my cousins were completely obsessed with that lead guy.”

Mark glared at them. “Since we have nothing to do and I have the remote, we’re watching whatever I decide on, which happens to be Koo Gum.”

The other three at first occupied themselves with food or books while Mark watched stubbornly. Eventually, however, certain scenes caught their curiosity and by episode three, all were deeply engrossed in the timeless love story of the Thai girl and her Japanese beau.

When the doorbell rang, Boy nudged Mario. “Go get the food.”

Oh elbowed Nadech. “Go get the food.”

Nadech waved his fingers at Mark. “Mark, you go.”

Mark rolled his eyes. “I’ll just pause this until I get back.”

As the screen froze, Oh wailed, “Hurry! I wanna watch Kobori and Ang!” He realized what he’d just said, or more importantly, how he had said it, and sheepishly curled up behind a pillow.

Mark returned and placed their dinner on the coffee table. “Okay, we don’t have to watch anymore if you guys don’t want to.”

Oh looked around, rubbing his neck. “Well, it’s kind of interesting. Even if it is cheesy.”

“And violent,” Boy added, though he thought it was cool that there was history worked into the lakorn instead of simple sappy love stuff.

“Unrealistic,” Nadech said, not that he had missed a single scene since he started watching.

"Yet oddly addictive," Oh remarked.

Boy added, “But since Oh obviously wants to watch it, I don’t mind.”

“Me either.”

Mark snorted. “Whatever you guys say.”

Before they resumed watching Koo Gum, Oh looked up. “What are we going to tell the girls we did if they ask us?”

They all shifted around searching for something reasonable.

“Swimming,” Nadech said.

“Some tennis,” Boy suggested

“Bar,” Mark ended.

“Sounds like us,” Oh approved.

-------------
Lights from the TV flashed as Nadech opened his eyes. He saw that they had all fallen asleep and the player was signaling for a disc change. He turned it off and peered outside to squint at the rising sun, his favorite time of the day. Heart yearning to see Yaya, he grabbed a few choice items and headed out.

Yaya silenced her cell phone so the others wouldn’t wake up. She read her text message, then dressed quickly and slipped out, and down to the lobby. Nadech took her hand; she let him lead her away, like two truants sneaking off to share the moment of their life, their smiles lighting up the day in place of the sun.

Driving away from the resort, the two leisurely conversed in the car; each replied with the pleasure of hearing the other’s voice answer back, sharing the events of yesterday’s ‘parties’. Yaya was much amused that Nadech had been drawn to a romance lakorn. She would have thought that a group of men could think of something much more rowdy for a bachelor party, but was relieved nonetheless. Nadech hadn’t sounded like he particularly looked forward to the party anyhow, and when he told her that all day yesterday he was thinking about whether she had fallen off an elephant, it let her know he had been thinking about her instead of his last chance to run wild.

“What did you think of the lakorn? It’s very popular and a favorite among romantics.”

“I thought at first…” he pondered, “that it was unrealistic. But there was real life in it. Like the fact that people can go very far for one another. And that even if life ends, love doesn’t. And also...”

She cocked her head for him to finish.

“The only remedy for love is to love more,” he said, then laughed shortly at himself. “Although I’m sure I’m an amateur lakorn watcher, so don’t quote me on this.” He still didn’t even know what a rawr scene was.

Yaya smiled. “At least you’ve grown into a real life liver.”

“Are you calling me a liver, as in one of the body’s organs?”

“No,” she laughed, “I mean someone who lives life.”

“I know,” he shook his head with her amusement. “But if I was a liver, you’d be a heart. This one here.” He pointed to his chest.

“Are you sure you’re an amateur?” She laughed. “Because that was cheesy.”

He lifted a corner of his lips proudly. “Wanna grab breakfast?”

Because time passes quickly in the company of loved ones, soon, they entered a familiar setting. Yaya felt lucky to be back at the beautiful estate, which appeared just as glad to welcome them back, shining brilliantly before them like it wanted them to never think of leaving it.

Indeed, with Yaya beside him, Nadech didn’t think he could resist staying here forever. This was the place where she made him aware of the goodness of love. The place where they shared their first real kiss, the moment that made his heart pound so hard, it beat itself to pieces only to have her touch, her look, her smile bring all the pieces together just so it could keep him alive to be with her.

Once they were out, Yaya shaded her eyes and took in full view of the land. “It’s great to be back here. Is Kai around?”

“He’s on vacation, along with the rest of the house staff. I asked them to keep the kitchen stocked just in case. But it’s just us.”

The reality of that made her blink back at him in surprise.

“Come on. We won’t go inside just yet. Unless you’re tired?”

She shook her head. They went by the stables where Nadech led Waayoo out.

“I’m still not the best at this so is it okay if we share Waayoo today?”

[Click for Love ]

Yaya had no objections. After she was seated on the saddle, she helped tug Nadech up securely and he reached his arms on either side of her to take the reins. Waayoo’s clop-clop steps beat in tune to Nadech’s own heart, as he relished the morning air that swept Yaya’s scent at him. The tip of his nose touched her jaw gently, so that she turned her head, allowing him to steal a nuzzle at her face.

They headed in the direction of the forest, but contrary to Yaya’s thought that they were going to the pier, Nadech took them off course to a more secluded area next to the river with the house completely hidden from view.

Nadech was on the ground first so that Yaya slid effortlessly into his arms. Every touch sent shivers through her, as the atmosphere tingled with an unknown suspense.

“I hope I’m not ruining any plans you made with the others,” Nadech said.

“No, it’s okay. But why are we here?”

“Not to shoot down Oh, but I still think the bachelor and bachelorette parties were unnecessary. But they’ve helped me realize something.”

Their voices wrapped around the thin trees, drifting up and away through the spaces between the leaves. This was what a world within a world felt like. They let Waayoo roam nearby. Yaya watched Nadech’s resolute expression, the firmness of his jaw telling her something important would happen.

He pulled her along and stopped next to the bubbling stream. To her surprise, he pulled her engagement ring off, then produced a black box. Within, he took a gold ring that she could very well imagine signified nothing other than matrimony.

Without hesitating, Nadech looked into her eyes and said, “Do you, Yaya, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love and to hold, to cherish in sickness and health till death do us part?”

Her lips parted for his anticipation and with a quivering voice brimming thick with happiness, she didn’t question his actions and instead said, “I do.”

Her wedding ring was fitted onto her finger. “Your turn.”

She took off his engagement ring and repeated his words,” …till death do us part.”

Her last syllable was interrupted by the brushing of his lips against her mouth. “I do. I do, I do, I do…” he murmured and somehow, she managed to fumble that ring onto his finger. “Let the sky and earth be our witness; let the birds sing our wedding march; let the water be our path; let the sun and rain unite us. Because I can’t wait a day longer to have you as mine.”

Their union was simple, clean, without hassle and done as suddenly as the way they had come into each other’s lives. The wind raised up a symphony as leafy branches danced and urged their feathery patrons to chirp and rise for this special moment, as the two lovers met lips and let their souls intertwine.

“I love you.”

Those three words created a new rhythm for his heart to beat to. Hearing them from her voice sent a thrill through his body that he could only identify as part of her magic.

“I love you always.”

-------------
Oh got off the phone with Nadech. “They totally dumped us for each other,” he muttered in disbelief.

“So much for your theory that they were kidnapped,” Boy said.

“Aw, let the lovebirds have some time alone,” Taew told them.

“Yeah. You know what's funny? I have a feeling that if P’Nadech had it his way, there wouldn’t be this big lavish wedding. He’d just sweep Yaya away and marry her without anyone else there to tell them how it’s done.” Kim and Mint nodded at one another. “They probably want some peace after all the bustle of wedding plans.”

“Wait,” Mark held up his pointer finger, “No big brother here shielding my fiancée from me? I think I like this very much.” He held out his hand and bowed to Mint very gentlemanly. She accepted his hands with a bemused shake of her head. “Come my lady.”

Oh shrugged. “I guess I’ll just forget to tell Mark that Nadech specifically ordered us to not leave those two alone.”

“How overbearing,” Boy stuck his hands in his pocket, sidling up to Kim as the friends of the secretly newly wed couple hung out together for the rest of the day.

-------------
There was a knock on Nadech’s door and he opened it to find Yaya, holding a pink hair dryer and her damp hair hanging past her shoulders in mismatched waves, waves that had a soft messiness which invited his hands to comb through them and then sweep her closer to him. Giving himself a mental shake, Nadech asked her, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” she smiled. “I was just going to ask. Is it really okay if we stay here for a few days?”

He returned with reassuring light eyes, “It’s fine. I told dad I was taking a few days off. And I promised your parents that I’d take good care of you.”

She shyly tucked her hair behind her ear. “Thanks.”

“You’re my wife, after all.”

Wife. Yaya fought against a dorky grin, absolutely captivated with that word. “I-I’ll go get ready…” She disappeared, then reappeared a second later, and said with a grin, “Husband.”

Nadech watched her close her door, an equally dorky grin pasted to his face.

Nadech checked his wristwatch. Yaya was taking a while to come down and he started wondering whether she had gotten ill. Just as he was going to ascend the stairs to call her, she appeared with a, “Coming! Sorry I took so long!”

Luckily she didn’t have to wear dirty clothes since she had left some of her clothes here from her last visit, and Nadech always kept some at the estate so he could travel lightly. She wore a light blue blouse and cuffed linen shorts that, as she sprung down the stairs, gave him prime viewing of those long toned legs. He couldn’t help noticing that she was barefoot also, her boots in one arm.

Yaya winced slightly, seeing him cross his arms. She shouldn’t have been so indecisive about what shirt to wear, because in the end she went back to her original choice of the plain blue shirt since she didn’t want to overdress for a picnic. But could she help it if she wanted to look nice for him, however indifferent he was about clothes? “I’m ready now.”

“Let’s get going then.”

This time they took two horses and ended up at the pier. If no one knew about the house on valley, a passerby might have blinked several times and wondered whether the pier built upon the stream was perhaps created by woodland fairies. That was Yaya’s thought when she first saw it. The grass around it was richly green. The pier reached halfway across the water that gurgled and glistened in the light cast down through a perfect round opening in the treetops, so that the area glittered.

They tethered the horses. She followed him to where he stopped and laid down a blanket.

“Sit.”

She obeyed but was quite disappointed when he settled down, not next to her, but about three steps away. But it was made up for when he surprised her by extending his legs out and laying his head on her lap. “Don’t let me roll away into the water,” was his command before his eyes closed.

Yaya reclined while watching tiny fish wiggle in the water. “Nadech?” she whispered. Had he fallen asleep already? Looking around and finding nothing to play with, she used some of her long hair and tickled his face. He didn’t move. Yaya fell still, utterly awed in that moment by his tranquil features. How her fingers itched for her camera.

Well, if she couldn’t memorize everything by sight, she would use other senses. Her fingers stroked his hair up, then smoothed his forehead that was free of worry lines. Her thumb traced his thick austere eyebrow, along down his temple. She tapped five times down the length of his straight nose, to those thin pink lips, softened by a peaceful dream. She cupped his jaw and his strong chin, sighing a small breath that was drawn in, startled, when he suddenly turned his head to touch his lips to her palm. He kissed the center of it, where all the lines of her life ran, crossed and connected, mimicking the act she’d once done to him.

Nadech blinked lazily at her, admiring her glowing skin. He then eyed her ring finger. “Are you disappointed that we exchanged rings sooner than the official wedding?”

She shook her head. “This morning…that was our official wedding. We are husband and wife now.”

He quirked his lips. “I think so too, even though I’m used to the traditional and proper way.”

“The traditional marriage is done with the one you love; the proper marriage is done when both agree that the time is right.” She kissed his fingertips.

He was relieved that she wasn’t wrapped up in the ceremonious details. He hadn’t been able to wait to have her by his side, to have their bond pronounced. As long as they both shared that agreement, and as long as their families knew they loved each other, Nadech felt that he would have married her from the moment he fell in love with her. He chuckled silently, recalling Yaya's mistake signing the marriage license. It hadn't been a mistake after all.
His past questions of love and of a relationship that required as much trust as marriage were dispelled. This moment with Yaya – well, every moment with her – felt right.

“Hungry?”

He nodded and sat up. Throughout their meal, he noticed her every smile, every stretch of her legs, every flourish of her hands as she tossed her hair over her shoulder. When she leaned forward to wipe his mouth, he wanted to pull her into his lap and hold her close until the sun set.

Nadech then felt something bounce off of him. “Are you throwing food at me?”

“You’re not listening,” she crossed her arms.

“You said that it would be interesting if Plaayo and Waayoo had a baby horse together.”

Yaya squinted one eye suspiciously at him. She’d been sure he wasn’t paying attention, but then again, Nadech was always sharp-minded. Shaking off the thought, she flipped her hair out of her face.

Nadech tilted his head at her. "If your hair's bothering you, why not tie it?" Before she could answer, he crawled behind her. "I'll help you."

She sat upright while he clumsily braided her hair, taking his time as he placed each lock in front of the other, watching light dance like gold in each strand of hair.

She peered over her shoulder and held out a grape for him. “Want some?”

He lowered his head to eat it from her hand, throwing her off.

Yaya averted her eyes. “Um…” She stood up so that her braid loosened, but tied it in time. “Ready to go back?”

“Sure.”

She stretched her arms above her, the warm air coaxing a yawn from her. As her shirt tightened across her body, Nadech glanced at her, then looked away quickly as his heart slammed against his chest; with this sudden awkward feeling, he rubbed the back of his neck.

Seeing this, she asked, “Does your neck hurt?”

He stepped back from her. “No. Let’s go.”

They cleaned up and rounded up the horses. When they broke away from the woods, Nadech said, “What do you think of staying here?”

“I’m looking forward to relaxing here. This place has always mesmerized me.”

Nadech breathed in deeply through his nose. “I mean staying here permanently, after the wedding.”

Yaya snapped her head in his direction. “You mean live here? Here, as in making this…our home?”

He smiled. “Yeah. After all, dad did put me in charge of the estate after my birthday. So I’ve been thinking of transferring here. I mean, if you’d like.”

“I’d like that very much. Very very much,” she looked around in excitement, just imagining waking up every day to seeing the valley stand before her. “How will you work though?”

“Since the first resort of our company is here, I can start off by managing that. If I’m needed in the city, I have the condo and dad’s place. We’ll work things out. I’ll have everything I need here.” When he said ‘everything,’ he gave her a fleeting look from the corner of his eye.

-------------
Night descended. Nadech pulled on a thin t-shirt when he heard a disturbance from the stairs. He hurried out to check the source and turned on the hall light. His heart leaped in his throat seeing Yaya lying at the bottom of the stairs, groaning. “Yaya!” He skipped three steps at a time down and kneeled at her side.

She made a slight grimace. “I missed a step coming up.”

“Why didn’t you turn on the light?” he asked. His hands massaged her feet and ankle.

“I didn’t want to wake you. I finished drinking some water and thought I could feel my way up since my bedroom is right around the corner anyway.”

Nadech scoffed in exasperation. “You’re so careless. Are you hurt?”

She lifted her long cotton nightshirt just past her knees. “I’m okay, just a bit shaken by the impact.”

He scooped her up and began climbing the stairs.

“Hey, I’m fine. No need to carry me.”

He looked up at the ceiling. “Let me have some peace of mind that my wife won’t hurt herself again tonight.” She silently complied, seeing as they were at the top already anyway.

“This is like déjà vu huh?”she thought out loud, and ran her teeth across her bottom lip, "Except you're my husband now."

A smile played on his lips. “Always gaining my attention in the most unorthodox way.”

“I don’t mean to.”

“I know.”

They reached her room and he placed her on the bed with more grace than the first time they had met. He straightened up, but realized something that troubled both his mind and body.

“What?” Yaya asked, wondering why he wore such disapproval on his face as he stared at her very intently.

Nadech sighed heavily and buttoned up the top two buttons that were undone on her shirt which she had been unaware of.

“Woman, what have you been doing to me all day?”

“What are you talking about?”

How was he supposed to explain the way she affected him? He sighed. “Never mind. I’m going to…”

“Can you sit with me for a bit?”

Nadech turned back, looking at her a moment, measuring her with his gaze, before taking a seat next to her. He glanced over and noticed her hands were wrapped together and he saw the wedding ring. Smiling irresistibly, he gently un-weaved her hands and held her left hand in his, his thumb stroking her fourth finger. How did one little ring give him such a significant feeling that they now belonged to each other? Nadech inclined his head to kiss her hand.

Yaya’s heart expanded like she was lifted by a cloud. He pecked her temple too, which warmed her body thoroughly. They were utterly alone on this night, and for tomorrow too. Yaya bit her lip, face burning as she remembered what her mom had said and she became very conscious to the fact that just hours earlier on this very day, she and Nadech had gotten married.

“What is it?” Nadech asked, sensing her sudden bashfulness.

“N-nothing.”

He cocked his head at her. “Are you sure? Why do you feel so warm?” His hand went to her forehead to check her temperature. “Are you sure you weren’t hurt from falling?”

“I’m fine,” she assured him, though her thoughts were growing hazy with very embarrassing imaginations. “Um…I just remembered something mom said.”

He said, “But what is it? She must have said something important.”

“Oh trust me, it was nothing much.”

“Then why are you so flustered over it?”

“Because…” Her heart stammered at his curious look. “I’m not flustered over it. I’m just a little nervous about being here.”

He looked around, then breathed a soft laugh. “The valley? Don’t you like it here?”

“I don’t mean here, I mean here with you.” She cringed; that was the wrong thing to say.

“With me?” he asked, confused. “Your husband?”

“It’s precisely because you’re my husband that I’m nervous,” she blurted in frustration. Trying to calm herself, she peeked at him. His face was set in mild surprise.

“Why don’t you tell me what this is about?”

Yaya made a face. “You’re going to laugh.”

“I swear on my honor that I won’t laugh.”

She sighed and spoke haltingly at first. “Before, a long time ago, mom said…said she wouldn’t mind us bringing her a grandchild to look forward to but of course that’s impossible since it’s much too soon to be making babies and I didn’t think much about it then because we weren’t going to be married yet except now we are, we just got married and this is technically our wedding night so I’m nervous because you’re my husband.” She said all of this in one sentence and finished breathlessly, guessing that her face was many shades darker than usual by now.

It was a mark of his integrity that Nadech did not laugh as he had promised. Instead, he held her close to his side, but not without a small amused smile. “So it’s about this.”

“Yes,” she mumbled, hiding her face with her hair. “I know it’s silly.”

“No, it’s very important.” He pulled back just enough to see her face, to slide her messy braid all onto one shoulder so nothing could block her from him. “Don’t worry about it. Although I would like children, I agree with you. It’s too soon.”

She relaxed, and felt little bubbles in her stomach hearing him mention that he wanted children, just like her.

“Wait until we’re ready.” He gave her forehead a kiss. “Besides, I still want you to myself for a while yet.” Her face grew rosy, and he dipped his face into the crook of her neck, planting a kiss where her jaw met her ear, making her sensitive skin prickle. He murmured quietly, “But since we are husband and wife now, how about we practice?”

“Practice?” She drew a sharp breath as he nipped her earlobe.

“Making babies.”

Her lips parted in silent shock at his husky voice. “W…what?” she gasped. She felt his shoulders shake as he pulled away from her. Her mouth formed an O, seeing his glee at her reaction to his teasing.

Nadech took a shuddering breath to hold in his laughter, seeing her grumpy face. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t laughing at you.”

His delight was cut off when her hands cupped both sides of his face and pulled him in for a kiss that threw his mind into chaos. He came up for air, though never leaving her farther than a hand’s breadth. “What are you doing?”

“Practicing,” she whispered, her arms wrapped endearingly around his neck.

His lips formed a crooked perfect smile. “There’s no need.” He gave her no time to second-guess her actions. “Because loving you is an instinct. Loving you…” His lips came down on hers, “…I was born for it. Always.”

Their lingering kiss sending sparks through him as he laid her down, Nadech found her nightshirt, then loosened those two buttons he’d fixed, then all of the ones after them and continued to explore her body with unceasing tenderness.

When clothes were discarded, he drew her close to his chest, pressing soft kisses on her mouth that left her aching, until she finally lifted her chin to slant her lips against his firmly, leading him, letting him lose control. Everywhere that skin touched, which was everywhere, he felt warmth. Their muffled gasps and moans drove on their desires, their taut bodies molded together on the bed.

When he felt her tense at that first slick union, he stopped and kissed her over and over, on her mouth, her eyes, her face, everywhere until the rawness was over, until she relaxed and then trembled in pleasure, and their bodies joined in rhythmic motion towards bliss.

Epilogue End of the Rainbow

“Yes, I received it,” Nadech assured Kim. “Thanks kiddo. We miss you.”

Kim answered through the phone. “Me too. I wish I could be there for your birthday.” She was away from home for her internship, in a city on the edge of the sea where the ocean breeze even reached to the clinic a few miles away.

“We’re just having dinner with dad and Oh. But thank for the gift Kim. Keep up your hard work over there, okay? We’re so proud of you.” Ending the call, Nadech looked up at Yaya.

She motioned him forward, “In here.”

“Surprise!”

Nadech’s eyes lit up when people around the room burst in applause and balloons were released. He felt Yaya’s arms around his middle while she beamed at him.

Everyone began to chime the birthday song, while Oh conducted with his fingers in the air.

Nadech nodded his head at the cake, gesturing for Yaya to help blow out his candles. “Thank you all,” he said. He should’ve suspected they would plan something like this the moment his dad called and said he was coming over to the resort for a visit so suddenly that day. “I feel grateful that there are people for me to celebrate this day with. I actually have my own announcement to make.” He clapped Oh on the shoulder. “Father and I have been talking very seriously about this and we’ve come to an agreement…”

-------------
The party was small, compared to last year’s bash. Only close friends were present, mingling and catching up, and discussing Nadech’s news.

Mario’s face was severe with a hint of stress. He approached Nadech, where the two sat alone.

“Dude, this is your birthday. Why the heck are you giving gifts to others? And besides, I can’t accept—“

“Oh, it’s precisely because today is my birthday that I’m taking advantage of this chance to give to those I love.”

“But making me general manager?” Oh shook his head. “And having me take over the company when Uncle retires? Why would you guys do that?”

“Because you’re father’s son too. In fact, you’ve always been my older brother. I know you. You put on a brave face, but I know you have doubts about yourself. It’s time you have faith in yourself and work your strengths to the fullest. Look, in the past year, you’ve helped made the new resort open successfully and you’ve raised profits.”

“WE did,” Oh pointed out. “You think I could have done all that alone?”

Nadech’s lips quirked. “Don’t forget, I’m not going anywhere.” Nadech would maintain his shares in the company but the most control would be handed to Oh in the future. “We both know you were meant for this business. You’re ready for this.”

Oh sighed. “And did you talk to Yaya about this?”

“I did,” he nodded once. “She fully supports my decision. We both feel that this is what’s best for everyone. What I have now is enough to last me a lifetime, but I’m not going to shirk from my responsibility either.”

“I don’t need to make myself this big either,” Oh said. He had always been contented to support those around him. “It doesn’t feel right.”

“If you think you’re taking something from me, you’re wrong. We’ve always shared everything equally. I know you’re not asking anything from me or dad and there’s a lot of pressure on you now but I’m not leaving you to fight this alone. You’ll have me, you’ll have Mark, and once Mint’s done with her studies, she’ll establish herself in the company. However, I’m asking for you to do what you’re good at because I want father’s company to thrive for a long time. You’ll help me, right?” He stuck out his hand.

Oh took a deep breath before clasping on. “Only because it’s for you.” He shook the hand of his friend and brother. “Congrats, by the way.”

“For what?”

“Uh,” Oh looked around, remembering he wasn’t supposed to reveal anything. “You’ll find out later.”

“That’s a good thing, what you’re doing for Oh.” Yaya held Nadech’s hand, swaying to the background music while their friends’ merry voices rang around them.

“He deserves it. I don’t want anyone to look down on my best friend, especially when he has the most potential on his way up.” His thumb rubbed her back.

“Sure you’re not just letting him deal with the most of the public’s eyes?” she teased, knowing well his distaste for interacting with outsiders.

“He can handle it.”

“Whoops,” she had stepped on his toes. “Sorry. I’ve been a bit clumsy lately,” she laughed.

-------------
Oh’s cryptic slip stayed in Nadech’s mind and raised suspicions. When he and Yaya returned to the valley, Nadech inconspicuously searched Yaya with his eyes. She gathered her towel and stretched full length in front of him.

He saw no difference in her body. Was she a bit pale? Was she more tired lately? Has her appetite changed? He surely would have noticed any of these outward changes if they had occurred.

Yaya came out of the bathroom, ready for bed when he caught her in his embrace right inside their room.

“Hey,” she braced her hands against his chest, feeling him bury his nose in her hair.

“Thanks for today.”

“You’re welcome.” She laughed as he swept her up in his arms and settled them both on the bed. “Nadech, what is this?”

“This,” he bumped his forehead to hers gently, recalling that once upon a time when he had joked with Oh, never predicting that she would truly become his treasure, “is my present. Any more surprises today?”

“Oh!” Yaya turned to her bedside table and pulled out a large envelope. “I almost forgot to show you.”

Nadech’s heart skipped several beats seeing an ultrasound photo in her hands.

She cooed, “The vet came yesterday with Kai and some equipment. Plaayo is having a baby!”

His jaw slackened. “Really?”

“Yeah. I told Oh this morning but asked him to let me surprise you.” She realized he was suddenly very still. “What? Aren’t’ you excited?”

Nadech let out a breathy laugh. So this was Oh’s congratulations to him. “Yes. This is great.”

She nodded jubilantly, replacing the photo in the drawer, after which Nadech tugged her so she lay cozily on top of him.

“I think it’s time,” he murmured, grazing his lips on hers.

“Time to…”

He gently rolled her onto her back. Fingers intertwining, he linked his right hand in her left so that they could seem to be posing for a dance, a tango that required much more intimacy.

He claimed her lips with a sizzling urgency that made her coil her arm around him. In sync with one another, they made the air condense around them with their passion.

Afterwards, while the moist night air cooled their room, she rested upon his chest and peered at him with moonlight reflecting her bright eyes. “Happy birthday.”

His knuckles stroked the side of her face. “It sure is.”

The calm rain that fell on the house distantly reminded Nadech that he was blessed with life, and blessed with his most valuable gift, his sunshine that was the love in his life, Yaya.

What's at the end of a rainbow? Pot of gold, muahaha. So this is the end of SDLF. ^^ I always feel like when I write an ending, it comes so suddenly. Got me all nervous to click the 'post' button because I almost couldn't end it yet. ><
Thank you to all readers. I'm not sure what to say except that I'm real glad I have Yadech fans to share this adoration with. Hope you all enjoyed the story and ending. Don't forget to leave final feedback. <3
Pu Anchalee's song appears again. I used three different versions; instrumental, what I call the 'slow dance' version, and this sweet version. It truly was my inspiration, along with our NY couple.

jjinxx

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
I've been gone for almost two weeks and just got back. Oh jjinxx, I almost got a heart attack when I didn't see SDLF and then discovered that it got moved to the complete section.

SDLF is my all time favorite ff. I was hooked from the beginning until the end. The story is simple yet so captivating. The main characters are loveable and memorable and the supporting characters are endearing. I love the metaphor that Yaya is Nadech's sunshine and he is her rain. Together they complement each other very well. Now whenever I see sunshine and rain I will always remember them and jjinxxy!

SDLF has been a part of my life for the past several months and I am sad to see it ends.

jjinxx, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for sharing your talent, time and passion for Yadech with us.

I hope you continue to write more ff and I will be here to support you.

jjinxx

@Vimalee: Again, thank you for reading!

Didn't get a chance to post this here until now:

AFTER STORY Precious Moments

During the ice cream incident, Nadech hadn’t realized that Yaya’s sleep talk occurred from time to time, and most interesting of all, when he replies to her at the right moment, she also replies back in her sleep, as he discovered after they got married. Occasionally he shared these amusing moments with her when she woke up.

One night, Nadech returned home late and slipped quietly next to his wife, lounging an arm around her middle to seek her warmth.

Yaya sighed in her dreams and he heard her mumble, “…a rainbow today…”

Grinning to himself, he did what he always did when he happened to be awake for her nocturnal speeches—he answered back. “Who did you see the rainbow with?”

“The girls,” she answered unconsciously.

“Mint? Kim?”

“Their nieces…” Yaya turned and pressed her face to his chest, falling deeply asleep.

Nadech did not recall this particular moment until months later, on the day that he and Yaya went to see the doctor for an ultrasound appointment.

“Will we know if it’s a boy or girl?” Yaya asked. She lay on the hospital bed. Nadech sat beside her, enfolding her hand in his. They both peered up at the ultrasound screen, not exactly sure what they were looking at, but knowing exactly what they were looking for. And then, the machine picked up a beat.

Yaya turned to Nadech, in time to see the smile on his face that stretched wider as they listened to their child’s heart.

“Oh yes. We should be able to tell now.” Dr. Thrisadee nodded with approval. “Very good indeed.”

“So our child is healthy? Everything’s fine?” Nadech said.

Dr. Thrisadee chuckled. “Not your child.”

“What? Yaya asked, confused.

“It’s more like your daughters are healthy.”

They exchanged bewildered looks. Yaya stumbled over her words. “D-daughters, you mean…doctor, you mean we’re having…”

“Twins,” he confirmed. “What’s even more amazing is, you hear the hearts? They’re beating in such synchrony that it sounds like one beat.”

-------------
When the two reached their home, nestled in that golden valley, Nadech ushered Yaya onto a sofa.

“Twins,” she exclaimed softly, her happiness uncontained. “Identical twins! I didn’t even wonder about that possibility.” She felt his hands release hers as he slid down to kneel one knee at her side.

Nadech’s hands gently touched her stomach that showed a small bump under her shirt. He leaned in and kissed her abdomen twice, before taking a shaky breath. “Hey there, you two. Listen to your father…”

Yaya pressed a hand to her cheeks, touched that he was communicating with the babies.

“You don’t know it yet, how important you are to your parents and our families, but once you’re born, I promise to always tell you and show you that you are our true blessings. But most crucial,” his lips pressed firmly together for a second, “You are a blessing to each other. Today, I wish that no matter what, you will always love each other. I hope that if anything were to happen to mom or dad, you two will never let go, will always support each other. That is father’s one wish from you.” He dipped his head to tenderly peck Yaya’s stomach again.
Nadech was surprised when he felt something drop onto his hand. Lifting his face, he frowned seeing the tears that budded in Yaya’s eyes. She brusquely wiped her eyes and stood up, away from him.

“Yaya, what’s wrong?”

“Why would you say that?”

“But…I am thankful to have them with us…”

“Not that.” She faced him with a fierce scowl. “You spoke like you don’t expect to be here in the future. Like… like something would happen to you. I don’t like hearing you talk like that.”

He relaxed a little. “Of course I’m not going anywhere.” He hugged her, resting his chin on her shoulder and tilting his head to press his lips to her neck. “I refuse. I would never dream of leaving you or our daughters. I was simply saying ‘if.’ Because sometimes, life doesn’t go the way we plan.” He led her to sit back down. “Like when Mint and I were separated.”

Her eyes softened. “Oh…Nadech.” Of course, she thought, he had to endure all those fearful years thinking of his sister. Yaya curled up tighter to his side.

“I thought a part of me would forever be missing and that no one would understand. I kept everyone at a distance, even the ones who loved me, because I didn’t think anyone could replace the sibling I lost. The type of bond I have with my sister, I don’t ever want our children to experience that loss.” He tucked her loose hair behind her ear.

“Nadech, I’m sorry.”

“No. I shouldn’t have made you worry.”

She shook her head. “I was thinking too much.” It must be the hormones. She looked up at him earnestly. “But you don’t have to worry either; because like you, I’m not going anywhere. Together, we’ll watch over our children’s most precious moments. They’ll both know how much they’re loved and they’ll both learn to always be there for each other.” She used his hand to rub her stomach. “Okay babies? It’s just like daddy said. Since you’re coming into the world together, you have to live on together. Even if one leaves for a bit, always think of and love each other.” She smiled. “You’re lucky too, to have a big family that’s waiting to welcome you. You have mommy…and you have a great man who is your dad.”

Nadech and Yaya’s smiles reflected endlessly that day, rejoicing in their warm home that was ready for the two gifts resulting from their shared love.

-------------
While shopping in the department store, Yaya laughed silently at a rocking toy horse. She planned on teaching her daughters to horse-back ride when they were old enough. She looked around for Nadech, who had taken the cart with him, since he didn’t allow her to push the cart around.

She turned to see him heading down the aisle stocked with strollers towards her. He took a fleeting glance at her, then cleared his throat, quickly dropping a box into the cart that was already full.

“What do want for strollers?”

“Oh said he’s getting them for us.”

“Okay then. Um, car seats.”

“Dad told me he got it covered.”

Yaya made a face, “And my parents already bought the cribs.” They shared ponderous expressions, now that their families were so enthusiastic about helping them prepare for the babies.

“Mint and Kim told me they were shopping for baby clothes too.”

“It looks like we have pretty much everything.” She then peered at the cart and stared baffled at all the items he had picked out already.

“You found this many stuff to get?” She looked through the pile of blankets, towels, bibs, washcloths and other things, then bit back a smile, noticing that the box he had held just moments ago contained breast pumps. “You sure know how to prepare.”

For once, Nadech actually blushed a little. “The…sales assistant helped give a list of things we would need, so I just, you know, thought why not get it all while we’re here.” He rubbed the tip of his nose, eyes looking away from her. “Er, what should we look at next?”

-------------

“Yaya,” Nadech entered the room right that led to the terrace. He grimaced sternly. “Why are you up there? Come down.” He took her hand and helped ease her down the step stool that she had used while sticking up balloons to the wall. “I told you to wait until the others got here and they would help decorate. Why were you in a hurry? What if you fell down while I was gone?”

Throughout her pregnancy, Nadech fought obstinately to get Yaya to not do any physical labor after she finished her photography for Jack. It wasn’t easy since Yaya was always an active person, so she would visit the stables or go on walks by herself when he was busy, much to his displeasure. He had even turned his office on the first floor into a new bedroom for them so she wouldn’t have to make trips upstairs. He fiercely protected her and refused to leave the estate unless absolutely necessary, doing all his work from home and contacting the resort through phone or computer.

Nadech shook his head. “I really need to put you in chains—“ He stopped abrubtly, hearing her wet sniffles, and mentally kicked himself. “I didn’t mean to scold you, but I’m just concerned.”

Yaya continued to scrunch her face. “I know. But I was getting restless so I just w-wanted to start things. I don’t want to sit around like a…like a…a useless fat elephant!” She buried her face in her hands.

Nadech blinked in awe, this being the first time he’d faced an emotional outburst from her while she was pregnant, ever since that first time on the day they found out they were having two girls. He took the seat beside her and pulled her into his always-ready embrace. Rubbing her back soothingly, he said, “Hey, it’s okay. You’re not…” he pursed his lips against a chuckle, “…you’re not an elephant.”

“You’re just saying that.”

“Come on,” he pulled her up to face him and brushed away her tear streaks. “You’re beautiful.” One hand patted her round belly. “What you’re doing now, giving life to our daughters, is beautiful. You are a beautiful mother.” His soft gaze gave her a renewed warmth so that all her tears evaporated, replaced by a sheepish smile.

She let him fold his arms around her.

“Be careful, okay? I don’t want to see you hurt.” With that, he knew she was appeased, for she nodded, closing her eyes for his anticipated kiss. Just as their lips found each other, many voices interrupted, the loudest of which was female, calling out, “Baby shower time!”

The whole gang had arrived, ready to prepare the day for a fun baby shower celebration.

“Out of the way,” Margie weaved past Mark. “I gotta say hello to my god-babies.”

They, men and women alike, crowded around Yaya and Nadech, inquiring about the babies, and whether they were treating Yaya well.

All the decorations and games were set up, most of which Margie came up with.

“Okay,” Margie announced, rubbing her hands slyly. “First is an ongoing game. Throughout the whole shower, no one is allowed to use the word ‘baby’. If you say the word, you are disqualified from this grand prize of getting to hold the babies FIRST.” She nodded at their marveled expressions at such a unique prize. “That doesn’t include the new parents of course. Since I have to explain the games and use the word ‘baby’ a lot anyway, I’m also exempt from the rule.”

“Second game is Name that Baby Food.”

Jars of baby food were lined up on a table and each of the participants had spoons for tasting. Whoever guessed the most correct got the prize of a bottle of Chateau Margaux wine.

“That wine is mine,” Mark said determinedly.

“Don’t try too hard to win,” Oh muttered under his breath, “Or at least don’t drink it around nong Mint, otherwise you might end up buying kid food too.” They snickered.

In the end, it was Kim who won.

“Argh!” Mark exclaimed, “Darn potato and peas! Who would want to eat that?”

“Next game is guessing the girth of Yaya’s belly!” Margie said. Each person cut out a length of string that they guessed was the correct measurement of Yaya’s stomach.

“Awww,” Oh complained, “Of course Nadech would win. How can he not know the size of his own babies.”

“Oh, you’re out of the game,” Margie pointed out, while he pouted, just remembering he couldn’t say the ‘b’ word.

Nadech held his string up proudly. He held Yaya in his arms enough to have an accurate measurement in his head.

More games commenced including guessing Baby Animal Names (Yaya won), Chug the Baby Bottle (Oh won), and Diaper Basketball (Mint won).

Margie was up for Pin the Diaper on the Baby, when Nadech noticed Yaya eying the food table.

“Hungry?”

“Yeah. I want something a little salty.”

He got up.

“But also something…sweet.”

Mint giggled. “So it’s like what we guessed; the babies have different tastes.” She remembered Nadech telling her that Yaya was often stuck between two food choices.

Nadech nodded. “I’ll make you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.”

“That sounds really good,” Yaya said. “Thank you.” As he left, she thought again that her kids will surely be spoiled by him, the way he was always extremely attentive to her needs based on the babies behaviors. She smiled to herself, knowing he would be strict but see to all their needs; that he would be protective but gentle to their wishes.

“Hey, mommy-to-be, don’t keep smiling to yourself like that; it makes use envious,” Taew teased. “It’s your turn.”

Once she was blindfolded, Oh declared, “Gentlemen, stand your guard.”

“What are you doing?” Kim asked, seeing him, Mark and Boy stand near Yaya with bodyguard stances.

“Aow, Yaya’s pregnant. We can’t let her stumble around blindfolded without being extra cautious.”

“Yeah, her baby—Oi!” Mark frowned, “I lost. Anyway, okay, ready set, go!”

Mint timed Yaya as she attempted to pin the paper diaper on a diagram of a baby, the ladies cheering her on.

“Oh my god,” Mark’s eyes bugged out and his jaw dropped.

“What?” Boy asked. Then his jaw dropped.

Oh followed where their eyes were looking at, and everyone else followed suit.

Aware of their silence, Yaya asked, “What? Did I get it?” Until she felt the moistness on her leg and stammered in a frenzy, “Whoa. G-guys? Am I…is my…?”

“Wait!” Oh looked at the water bottle in his hand, then turned back to the others. “Okay, my water bottle cap is sealed tight which means I didn’t spill anything, which means THAT is definitely what we think it is.” He pointed to Yaya’s feet that had a small puddle.

Chaos ensued. The guys drew closer to Yaya but realized they didn’t know what to do so they took turns doing a peculiar dance in which one would step forward then back and forward and back. Now beginning to panic, Yaya gasped in and out, “Oh gosh…”

“What do we do? What do we do!?” Kim asked, wringing her hands and pacing.

“You’re the doctor,” Mint pointed out.

“I’ve never delivered a baby before!”

Yaya was standing in the middle of the room, too nervous to even untie her blindfold.

Nadech appeared in their midst, having already scanned the situation and realized Yaya’s water broke. He set down the plate he brought and went to loosen Yaya’s blindfold. Once he came into her view, her heart eased into a steady thrum of excitement. Everything would be okay with him there.

“People, calm down,” Nadech said firmly before supporting Yaya with his arms, then headed for the stairs. By now, the others had recovered and followed them out, driving in two cars to the nearest hospital.

At the hospital room, Yaya opted for a natural birth while Nadech held her hand through the process. Their first daughter arrived swiftly after Yaya began to push. However, their second daughter’s birth was not as smooth. When the doctor said that the second baby was breached, Nadech felt his stomach drop.

As if heaven was testing them, a nurse then announced that the first baby was not breathing.

Willing himself not to cry, to stay strong for his family, Nadech talked soothingly to Yaya as she labored through the next delivery. The few minutes passing by felt like an eternity, while Nadech prayed for his daughters to make it through, promising to never let go of an opportunity to tell them how much he loves them; pleading with that entity called love to not give up on him now that he had found Yaya and they were making a family.

Finally, when the second one arrived safely, the hospital room heard two loud strong cries, wailing in answer to one another.

Nadech pressed Yaya’s hand to his forehead, breathing a thousand relieved sighs. He helped to push her hair form her temple before caressing the tired but glowing face of the woman who was his everything.

“Saifon and Glairoong,” Yaya said softly, laying a kiss on each of her daughter’s heads.

“Together, they make our beautiful rainbow.” Nadech used his pointer finger to gingerly stroke Glairoong’s tiny nose. Their friends joined them in the room, the merry atmosphere passed around in bounds. Mint also claimed her prize, the first one to hold her nieces after the parents.

-------------
After putting down the babies in their cribs, Nadech assisted Yaya to their room just across the hall.

“Tired?”

“No,” she leaned against his shoulder on their bed.

He asked, “Have you thought of the answer for Global?”

Global Guide was a photography and news magazine focusing on all global matters from traveling to nature to food and politics. They had contacted Yaya after the last charity event and offered her a position on their photography team. Of course, that meant she would have to travel far and often.

Yaya plucked at his fingers that held her hand. “I’m going to tell them that if they still want me in a couple of years, I might join them.”

“You sure? It’s a very prestigious offer, and a great journey for your career. Don’t let anything hold you back.” He kissed her softly. “Because wherever you are and whatever you decide, you have my support. Me and our daughters.”

She smiled the smile that had won his heart and had taught his own lips to express happiness. “Remember when you came up with an idea for a studio? I think that suits me best. Besides, here in my home, a great journey is beginning. I don’t want anything to hold me back from every precious moment with Sai, Roong, and you.” She lifted his right hand so that it pressed palm to palm in her left, then curled her fingers in between the spaces. “Do I have your support?”

“You have all of me,” he answered, eyes shining with adoration. “Anything I have worth giving has been claimed by you and our children.”

They curled up together for sleep.

When he thought she was asleep, he spoke quietly for the night to hear and let the wind carry his words across the world. “Yaya, thank you. Thank you for being born to let me love you. Thank you for opening my heart to life and all its gifts.”

She didn’t stir, except to smile in the darkness because they both knew well that they loved each other. As she silently listened to Nadech, she thought in mind, ‘These are the words coming from the man who had built thorns against love. Thank you Nadech, for making every rainy and sunny day beautiful with your presence.’

Nadech and Yaya drifted off in a slumber, until the baby monitor alerted him to the nursery.

“Sai’s going to wake up Roong,” Nadech observed, recognizing the powerful lungs of his elder daughter. He pecked Yaya’s cheek. “Sleep tight.”

She gave a sleepy chuckle. “Wait til you hear their brother…”

He then realized she was talking in her sleep. “Whose brother?”

She turned over in her sleep without waking up. “…their brother…”

I suppose I should have put up a warning sign that this would be more sweet than spicy. =P
So, as per requested, here is a small snippet of a very important moment(s) for Yaya and Nadech. I was thinking also that the birth of their children would serve as a legit reason to add an 'after story', something worth reading about, since I didn't want to bring up a whole new problem and then solve it in one short chapter.

The delivery...I debated whether I should have actual dialogue during Yaya's delivery, but uh, it just sound really corny in my head. So instead it was short and painless--for us, that is. That bit of torture I put Nadech through was mostly to emphasize his wish for his daughters to stick together. His sibling issue is a big part of the story after all.

Also, Yaya does not exactly have pyschic powers. It's more of, well, coincidence I suppose, if you can believe it. That's what I'm going for more, rather than something like "OMG Yaya can predict the future." And you'll have to excuse that ending--when the idea of Yaya's sleep talk struck me, I couldn't let go of an ending like that, AND because I don't think I'll do another 'baby update' it's a hint for readers that, yes, they will be having another child. lol.

I played around with Thai words and names a lot before deciding on the baby names. They are.......quite literal. *shrugs* Glairoong means 'SUNRISE' which then equals sunshine. Saifon...I don't know if it actually means something but the FON is of course meant to be 'RAIN'. Sai+Roong=Rainbow (inspired by Mel!). Forgive me if my weak Thai skills have totally killed my intentions. :phew

Also (there's more?), coincidentally:
Saifon---Saichon (Nadech GRGR)
Glairoong---Phetroong (Yaya TD)
totally unintentional...

jjinxx