Running my first half marathon

marley

sarNie Hatchling
Hello all.... So I am running my very first half marathon in Nov. I'm going to start training for it this week. Has anyone ever ran one before? Any training suggestions? I work out pretty often and go to boot camp every Saturday. My friend talked me into doing it and now I am freaking out.....

cecilia

Staff member
awe, i have no suggestion, only complain.
i hate them mile runs and 1 mile is killing me already.
lol -- simple jog is okay ---1 block back and forth will do it for me.

anyway. GOOD LUCK with it.

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
imma freak but i love to run .. well run at ur own pace unless u wanna win lol but its not all about winning i used to start of with 15 mins running then doubled it the next day it got easier now i can run for like hours non stop it all about taking part i say haha but goodluck man

anan

sarNie Adult
My suggestion would like similar to *Ice*(hi Jojo ^_^ !), start slowly with 15min, then try to do more a little bit each week...
The first 15-30min is probably the hardest when u start as beginner... u will feel the pain, the difficulty in breathing...
But after that critic point, when the endorphins starts to make it effect on ur body(i love that feeling :drool: )... u will feel no pain anymore... u will breath normally... run normally as if you walk everyday :rolleyes: .

When you reach 1h of running without stopping, i would simply say: "Congratz & G'luck, u r ready !" ;)

P.S. don't forget to stretch your muscle after effort, it's very important too...

start out slow, at a leisurely pace, but then pump it up towards the end...eat plenty of carbs (pasta, bread, rice) that day and the evenings before...when practicing, gradually increase the distance...but you probably already know all that...lol... but i'm applauding you for taking this challenge! :)

marley

sarNie Hatchling
ahhh... thanks everyone!! I just started jogging like 2 miles a day, everyday this week, then I am going to increase it a mile a week until that day. Man, 13.1 miles, what have i gotten myself into.

**ice*** you can run for hours... WOW!!! How long did it take you to get to that point?

Dal

***LOVE, LOVE YADECH***
I did two 5K this summer. It was so fun. The first one I didn't do to well as it was my first to run that long. The second one-a month later, I improved by six minutes.

My advise is to jog/run/walk every day and increase weekly. You can do it! It is nice to work towards a goal. Good luck!

marley

sarNie Hatchling
I also did 2 5k's this summer. Yeah, it is pretty fun. There's soooo many people. Wow! you improved by 6 minutes? That's good. What was your time> If you don't mind me asking.

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
ahhh... thanks everyone!! I just started jogging like 2 miles a day, everyday this week, then I am going to increase it a mile a week until that day. Man, 13.1 miles, what have i gotten myself into.

**ice*** you can run for hours... WOW!!! How long did it take you to get to that point?
i been running for years haha from like primary skool and i have a degree thing in sports so i uno kinda grew on me and yeah like someone said eat alot of carbs but dnt like fill ur self up too much that u throw up while running haha and use some special sports drinks too there maybe some dietry plans online for u if ya google up some for runners goodluck man!

what's the pace you're most comfortable at? you might be interested in running after the pace setter person for this first 1/2 marathon. there are usually designated volunteers or workers who are the pace runners. a bunch of people are usually tailing their behind. so you won't be the only one. :lol:

also, definitely keep up some kind of training schedule. don't slack. there should be groups of people or some kind of road runner club in your area. you might be interested in joining one & running with them. also, it's a great way to meet new people and broaden your horizons along with exercising. ;)