Ripples In The Water : Kob l Tik l Chakrit

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Chapter 6

Tik: “To make me less suspicious, you should appear…” He nods his head.

Suvanant: “There is a possibility you have me mistaken for someone else.”

Tik: “You’re the only one who would know.” He gave her a grimly smile.

Chakrit: “What is going on here?” Suvanant looks over Tik’s shoulder.

Suvanant: “Now that I don’t have a secretary, anything is rushing in without permission.” Tik notice she said ‘anything’ instead of ‘anyone’ meaning she treated Chakrit like an item. Tik turns over and greets Chakrit.

Chakrit: “The staff had been informing of a strange man exploring the building, so it was you.”

Tik: “I’m sorry for the misunderstanding, I wanted to keep a low profile on myself.”

Chakrit: “You should notify your father of your location. He is worry.”

Tik: “I’m staying at a five star hotel nearby. I will come home…when I am ready…give this message to the old man.” He pats Chakrit’s shoulder and leaves. Chakrit took it as an insult and is angry but when he turns to see Suvanant, his day is uplifted. She walks up to him and held onto his tie.

Suvanant: “Keep yourself tidy, workers here represent the companies image.” She pulled knot upward tightening the tie and then dust her hand afterward. Chakrit coughs because he was choking, he loosen the tie a little bit to breathe.

Chakrit: “You changed outfit quick.”

Suvanant: “Mr. Yamnam.” She said annoyed. “Find me a new secretary.”

Chakrit: “She doesn’t seem to remember that drawing she drew yesterday.” He thinks when he watched her flip through her sketch book. The light shines through the spotless glass window and was reflecting on her beautiful face as he stares at her.

Suvanant: “Ah. Hum.” She glared at him. “The sun won’t wait for you.” She was being sarcastic saying he was wasting time.

At Popuri’s school that afternoon. Kob went to pick the little girl. Since it was Friday and the little girl didn’t have any homework she asked to go to the mall. Kob spoils her and takes her there. Kob takes Popuri to a merry go-around ride that was located in the middle of the mall. She sat on a horse next to Popuri who was sitting on a small pony. As the ride circles the horse and pony inclined and declined. Kob rests her head on the pole and look at the people who was standing around the gates of the ride.

She spots Tik who was one of the watchers behind the gate. He didn’t notice her until the fourth time the ride went around. He was there reflecting on the happy childhood life he used to have before his parents divorce. Kob can see him walk around the gate after her as the ride spin, he was making sure what he saw was correct.

Popuri: “What are we going to do after this?”

Kob: “Let’s say we have a race to the ice cream shop?”

Popuri: “Okay.”

When the ride stops. Kob huddle Popuri with the crowd and she lower as they passed Tik. He was looking around but saw no sign of Kob anymore. Tik shakes his head.

Inside the ice cream shop Popuri didn’t want a cone she wanted a platter. So Kob had to sit and wait for her.

Popuri: “Who are you looking for?”

Kob: “Why do you ask?”

Popuri: “Because you’re looking around.” Kob sees Tik wander by the window of the shop and ducks her head under the table.

Popuri: What are you doing?” She laughs as she ducks down also.

Kob: “Continue to eat your ice cream…I…I’m just tying my shoe.”

Popuri: “Silly…you don’t have shoe lace.” She was going to get her head out from under the table to finish her ice cream, but when she raised her head she hit the side of her head under the table. She started to cry as she rubs her the side of her forehead. Kob also hits the side of her head when she came out from underneath the table. She rushed to Popuri side and comforts her.

Kob: “Shh….quiet…I’ll take you rock climbing…don’t you like that?” Popuri was catching attention when she continue to cry. At the corner of Kob’s eyes, she could see that Tik was looking inside.

Popuri: “But mommy Ploy say it’s dangerous.”

Kob: “Well…let it be our own little secret.” The little girl stops sobbing. Kob wipes her tears and sat next to her calmly. She peeks out the shop window and was relief to see Tik gone.

At the rock climbing area. Popuri was strap on with a secure belt, she ask Kob to climb with her. Kob looks up at the steep fake rock.

Kob: “I don’t think so…” The handsome rock climbing supervisor urge her there was nothing to be scared about, but she didn’t like heights.

Popuri: “If you don’t go. I won’t go.” She crossed her arms around her chest.

Kob: “You have to go. I already paid and they won’t give a refund.” The little girl swirls around and doesn’t want to hear her. “Fine. Fine.” She goes the counter to pay for her share. Kob straps the belt on and grabs hold of handles as she climbs up after Popuri. Popuri was rushing ahead. Kob stops half way as she watched Popuri reach the top. “I have butterflies in my stomach.” She hears Popuri scream, but it was only a scream of excitement as she scaled down.

Popuri: “Don’t be afraid, I wasn’t afraid.” She was down already. She calls up to Kob who didn’t budge.

Kob: “I…I can’t…” The supervisor climbs up next to her. He tells her he’ll guide her up. She is cheered on by Popuri and climbed to the top. The supervisor then exclaim where he had seen her before, in a little article about ‘Illusion Magazine’ fashion designer. She denies being Suvanant. “I’m going down now.” She looks below her and suddenly gets a chill. “I won’t go down!” Her hand and feet were frozen. Popuri tells her she can let go of the handles and the safety belt will secure her down. She didn’t like the idea of relying on a small rope. She was also afraid she would plunge into the fake rock while she head down.

Popuri: “I will leave if you don’t come down.”

Kob: “Don’t you dare Popuri. You’ll get lost.” She scolds the child.

Popuri: “I’m going…”

Kob: “Popuri, don’t…” She climbs down in a rush.

Popuri: “Going now…”

Kob hand slips on a handle and she spiraled down. When her toe tips the floor she could feel someone’s arms around her waist, her back arched. Now her feet were fully down on the floor, safe and sound.

Kob: “You…” She whispered as they made eye contact with each other.

Popuri: “Mo…” As the girl approached the two, Kob reached over to cover the last words out of her mouth. “mmy…” She said ‘mommy’ under her breath. She gets out of his hold.

Tik: “Excuse me. Was that ‘mommy’ that I heard?”

Kob: “Ha. Ha.” She laughs. “No…how could that word ever surface your mind.” After taking off her equipment, she fumbles with Popuri’s belt buckle, finally getting it loose she takes off the equipment.

Popuri: “I wanted to go another round.”

Kob: Enough for today. Okay.”

Popuri: “I…”

Kob: “Do you want to come back here or not?”

Popuri: “I do…”

Kob: “Then listen to me.” Kob looks at her watch. “It’s time to bring mommy Ploy lunch.” She takes hold of Popuri’s hand.

Tik: “You aren’t going to give us a formal introduction?”

Kob: “I don’t want to get my friend and her daughter involve.” She says to herself.

Popuri: “Mommy said don’t talk to stranger.” Tik crouch down.

Tik: “I am a stranger to you, but not to your mommy.”

Kob: “Don’t scare her.” The little girl hides behind her. “Do you not have anything else to do?”

Tik: “Since you said my job won’t start till next week I really have nothing to do yet.”

Kob: “Prepare for it.”

Tik: “Since I was born into the Pholdee family…everything I did was prepare for the day I would inherit the company. Never a day’s rest…I don’t need you to remind me.” He follows Kob and Popuri as they head outside into the lobby of the mall.

A family walking toward them catches their attention. Kob can see Tik tensed up and an invisible heavy black cloud hovering above his head.

Mr. Pholdee: “Tik…It’s a surprise to see you here.” Tik doesn’t say anything but nods acknowledging him. “Lunch break, Suvanant?”

Kob: “Uh…Yes…lunch break.”

Mr. Pholdee: “Tong…Honey…” He call his son and wife over. “This is my son from the first marriage.” The little boy and his mother pays their respect to him, but he doesn’t do anything back.

Kob: “Why is he so stiff?”

Mr. Pholdee: “You should come home son…you’re stepmother and half-brother would like to know you better.” Now Kob knew who the family was.

Tong: “Mommy taught me to make cookies, I can make some when you come home.” The boy was two years older than Popuri.

Popuri: “You know how to bake cookie? Boy’s not suppose to cook.” Kob covers Popuri’s mouth once again.

Mr. Pholdee: “Who’s this darling?”

Kob: “A co-workers child.” She quickly answers him.

Tik: “Really?”

Kob: “She loves me so much, so prefer to call me mommy too, alright.” She wanted to get Tik off her back.

Mr. Pholdee: “I’m going to take Tong’s mother to fix her broken bracelet, Tik…would you mind taking your brother to see a movie.”

Popuri: “I want to see a movie too…”

Tong: “We can go together.”

Tik: “I haven’t agree, why have you already invited someone.” He scolds his step brother.

Mr. Pholdee wife: “It’s good you came home a week early. You can use that time to patch things up with your father.” She tells Tik. “Tong is anxious to meet his big brother too…please excuse his behavior.”

Kob: “Didn’t I teach you not to talk to stranger.” She kneels down next to Popuri and reminds her.

Popuri: “I forgot.” She scratches her head. “Hi. My name is Popuri.”

Tong: “My name is Tong, nice to meet you.”

Popuri: “Now we’re not stranger anymore.” She tells Kob. Tik turns away to sneak a smile.

Tik: “I’ll take him to a movie.” He grows serious. Kob looks at Tik knowing he only accept the responsibility because Popuri wanted to go, and if Popuri goes that meant she had to go.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Just a heads up. I will be mis-leading you guys here and there. :p I gladly appreciate your conclusions/assumptions and will consider them as I write.

imaginarygur

sarNie Adult
hmm.. after reading this chapter... i feel that kob should be with tik... hehe... and make suvanant regret for what she did and go with chakrit... :p

jackielee978

sarNie Adult
Omg.. So many Tik/Kob fanfics.. I don't know which one to read.. I still have to finish the other two but can't help to read this too..hahaa

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Chapter 7

***In the mall theater. Tik was at the snack section buying snacks for the kids.***

Kob: “I couldn’t bring you lunch because your daughter is very needy.”

Ploy: “It’s alright. Our boss bought the whole staff chinese food.” She was chewing as she talked. “Thank you.” She tells one of her workers when she gave her a file. “I’m going to have to write a report…let me send a kiss to Popuri before I shut the line off…” Kob goes over to the snack section and hands Popuri the phone.

Popuri: “I love you too mommy.” They smack their lips into the phone and said their good byes.

Kob: “I made a phone call to the company. My lunch break will be longer than usual.” She informs Tik as she hands some cash to the cash register boy.

Tik: “I’ll pay.” He holds her hand that held the cash.

Kob: “You haven’t even started work, how would you have money on you to pay for both tickets and snacks.”

Tik: “I did have a job before hand. I didn’t just wait for my father inheritance.” He takes out a credit card. Kob holds onto his hand.

Kob: “I’m paying.”

Tik: “I am.” They both struggles with their arms crisscross each other on the counter top. Kob drops her cash onto the floor and Popuri picks it up.

Popuri: “Grown ups…” She shakes her head in disbelief. “I’ll pay…” She put the money on the counter. “Can we go see the movie already?” Kob picks up the change.

Kob: “We’re even now. Our side paid for the snacks and your side paid for the tickets.” They walk down the lobby to find the room that was showcasing their movie.

Popuri: “Popcorn…” She hands Kob the bucket. “Mine’s have honey flavor. P’Tong has butter.” She takes a sip out of her soda cup because her throat was dry. Kob could see that Tong was timid walking next to Tik, who’s his step-brother but also a stranger because they haven’t met before until today.

Kob: “Don’t you think a large popcorn bucket and a large soda is too much for a child to carry?” Tik looks at her then at the shortie next to him. He takes hold of the popcorn bucket.

Tik: “Be careful with your drink, we wouldn’t want Ms. Suvanant’s money to go to waste.”

***Inside the room***

The four got their seats on the top level. The little kids sat in between the two grownups as they watch Khan Kluay, an elephant animation movie that was produced by Kantana Entertainment. It was about a little blue boy elephant who got lost from his herd after wondering off into the night. During the part the little boy elephant meets a girl elephant Kob grabs for some of Popuri’s popcorn. Tik grabs for it also but gets Kob’s hand, he tugs her forward.

Popuri and Tong: “I can’t see…” Kob’s arm was pull across the two seats the kids were sitting in and blinding them.

Kob: “Let go of my hand.” She said in a firmed but quiet tone not wanting to disturb the other people. Tik uses his other hand and grab some of Tong’s popcorn. He continues to snack like nothing was wrong. “I said…let…go…” She says under her breath. She yanks her hand out of his clutch and the man next to her spills his soda her on. “Ah…” Kob got up and wipe pants. “I can swear he did that on purpose.” She thinks to herself since she didn’t remember touching the man at all. “I’m going to go to the restroom. Can I trust you with the kids?”

Tik: “Of course.”

Kob: “I wasn’t talking to you. Popuri watch the kids.”

Popuri: “Okay.” Popuri watches as Kob excused herself through the aisle. A couple of minutes later the man who spill soda on Kob also leaves.

***Inside the restroom.***

After cleaning as much soda on her shirt as possible, Kob unbutton her blouse and put it in the sink. She scrubs the little stain that sank to her top.

Kob: “I shouldn’t had wore white today.” She squeezed the shirt together to get the water out. When she was done she held the blouse underneath a blow dryer and waited for it to dry. “Where have I seen him before…” She hears a noise and immediately looks behind her. She saw the man standing at the corner with a camera phone. “I knew you were trouble.” It was the rock climbing supervisor. She pulls her blouse over her and chase after him.

When the movie ended Tik takes the kid out as they walk out they saw Kob on the man’s back pulling his hair. ‘Please…stop…’ the man pleads. He falls onto the floor and Kob pounced on him.

Kob: “Give it to me!” She snatched the phone off his hand. “What are you planning to do with the video?” She has a hand around the man’s collar as she flips through his camera phone.

Man: “Sell it…make profit out of it…And because you’re Suvanant…a well known fashion designer…I might get more money out of it.” He groans as Kob continued to sit on him.

Kob: “Shameful man.” She slaps his back. She close the phone off after getting a glance of numerous thumbnail pictures of girls who had shop in the mall and got their photo taken while changing or doing something in a private area. She pulls the man to his feet. “I’m taking you to the security department.” She looks over and finally realized the crowd she pulled in. When she didn’t pay attention to the man he pushed her away and grabs something from his pocket.

Tik: “Tong. Turn Popuri around and cover her ears.” The little boy did as he was told. In the middle of the lobby, the man held a knife in front of Kob. He demanded to get back his camera phone.

Kob: “Everyone here already witnessed your face, even if I give it back, you will be stop by the security guards.”

Man: “I’ll take my chances. Give it to me now.”

Kob: “No…I won’t allow more victims and especially don’t want my Popuri growing up having someone like you around. Pervert”

Tik: “If you don’t put that knife down you’re going to get far more trouble than you are looking for.” He warns the guy.

Kob: “Keep away. This is my problem.”

Tik: “You’re putting everyone here in danger by pulling that act. Just give him the camera phone and he’ll put the knife down.” He approaches Kob.

Kob: “Imagine how many other girls he would harm.”

Tik: “I care about the situation now not the future.”

Kob: You must be out of your mind. He’ll flee.”

Tik: “Give it to him.”

Kob: “Make me.” He held onto her hand as they fought for the camera phone.

Man: “Hey….you two careful you’re going to break it.” He loosened his grip on the knife and approached them. Tik quickly bent the man’s arm around and got him to let go of the knife. “Good act you put out there.”

Tik: “Shut…up…” He hands the man to the security guards who arrived.

Inside the police station department inside the mall, the pervert was handed into the police custody. Kob and Tik made their statements to separate police officers. From across the room Tik saw Kob and Popuri get up from their seats and heads out. After he made his statement he went to ask the girl that was questioning Kob.

She wanted to excuse what the man did to her because she had deleted her image on the phone and lucky for her the image wasn’t sent over. As for the other girls they would be notify and the man will be jail until his trail comes along. Tik hurried Tong outside, he looks right to left frustrated. The women officer comes out “Are you Tong?” She handed the boy a note.

***Kob and Popuri rushing down the mall.***

Popuri: “It would have been better if I said goodbye to P’Tong face to face instead of write goodbye on napkin.” She swayed around the bag that has Kob’s blouse.

Kob: “I’m a rush to pick something up for you mommy, I’m sorry.” She rubs the girls’ hair messing it up.

Popuri: “Will we meet P’Tong again?”

Kob: “Maybe.”

Popuri: “Mommy Kob, your bangs is mess up.” Kob twirls herself around and looks at herself in the stainless glass window. She slid her bangs with one of her finger fixing it into position. After a couple of second making sure everything look fine, she notice her reflecting just lowered down.

On the opposite end, was a fabric store. After Suvanant sway her bangs aside from covering her eyes, lower her self while looking through a roll of fabrics that pilled up against the shop window. The pile of frabic came up to her shoulder so when she looked at her reflection she only saw her face. She took her lunch break looking for materials. She realized something eerie and quickly jumps up to look at her reflection. She waves her hand in front of the window. She gets startle by the owner of the store when she asked if she found what she was looking for.

Popuri: “I can’t go any more.” Kob was hurried her down the crowded hall. She yanks her hand out of Kob’s clutch. “You’re dragging me.”

Kob: “I’ll carry you.”

Popuri: “I’m a big girl I don’t need you to carry me.” She was short and less in weight, Kob couldn’t consider her a big girl although she acts mature for her age. “Why do you run like you’re scare?”

Kob: “I was good awhile ago you didn’t see my reflection on the shopping window.”

Popuri: “Why?”

Kob: “Cause…I saw a ghost.”

Popuri: “Really? It comes out in the afternoon. I want to see…” She turns back but Kob holds onto her.

Kob: “It’s already gone. Better luck next time.” She sighs. “Alright. We’ll walk slowly but we won’t stop for anything.” She looks over to a little vendor. “Cotton Candy…” Both the girl’s exclaim.

Popuri: “You said we won’t stop for anything.” She winks at Kob.

Kob: “Except for Cotton Candy. Your mom will love one.”

***At the vendor***

Kob: “We share this one.” She puts the extra one in a bag for Ploy. Popuri takes a strain of candy and put it in her mouth. She laughs as it melts away. “Give me some too.” She pinched a bit of it and took a bit of half of what she got. A chill went down her spine when she hears a familiar voice. “What bad luck…” she tells herself.

Chakrit: “Have you already found the fabric you wanted?”

Kob: “What am I to do…I met my father… Chakrit…Tik…Suvanant… in one day.” She bites her lips. “My head hurts.” She mutters quietly but Chakrit overhears.

Chakrit: “You feel sick but you’re eating cotton candy? Eh…I thought you don’t like sweets.”

Kob: “You don’t know me at all.” She turns serious. She takes a step aside blocking Popuri from his view. Popuri was eating candy so she didn’t pay attention to Kob’s conversation. Although she wanted to keep her identity a secret, she was tired of their mistakes, because she couldn’t be herself.

Chakrit: “I lost count on how many chocolate boxes you threw away.”

Kob: “Have you ever thought it’s not because I don’t like chocolate but because I don’t…like…you…” She thought of something her sister would say.

Chakrit: “I’ll discard what you just said.”

Kob: “I’m tired. Really…tired…” She was indicating her day was weighing her down but Chakrit took it as though she said she was tired of him. She takes the remaining piece of sweet cotton candy and puts it near her mouth but before she could, Chakrit took it off her fingers and plop it in his mouth. “I paid for that.” Chakrit lets the candy sank into his tongue, it was tingling as it melts very fast.

Chakrit: “It’s been awhile since I’ve stop to taste the sweetness of life.” He got caught in his thoughts. Kob and Popuri takes the opportunity to leave. He raised an eyebrow and then turn around in search of Kob. “That’s odd.”

Suvanant finished making her orders and headed back to her car. She started the car but did not drive off yet because she was still overcome from earlier. The window to the fabric store was a clear one so it didn’t reflect any images, although she was sure she saw herself. The engine dies and she tries to get the engine going again but it kept dying as she turn the ignition key. She gets out of car and could see fume coming out of hood. She went over and opened the hood so the smoke can arise. After the smoke ceased, she took her cellphone out and dial, but she ends up throwing it onto the ground because the electrical wires started to spark. “Someone put a curse on me or what?” She locks her car.

On the road, Chakrit was driving back to the company when he spots Suvanant sitting at a side walk bench massaging her ankle. Suvanant notice Chakrit’s car door slams and pretend to look the other way.

Chakrit: “Where’s your car?” She slid her shoe back on and got off from the bench.

Suvanant: “As you can see. Not here.”

Chakrit: “Haha.” He chuckles.

Suvanant: “What’s so funny?” She sneered at him and then walks away. Chakrit’s click the alarm to his car and tail behind her.

Chakrit: “Your going to be late walking like a turtle.”

Suvanant: “Can’t help it.”

Chakrit: “Your car brook down didn’t it? Why didn’t you take the bus?” She stops and he bumps into her back.

Suvanant: “You shouldn’t ask when you know the answer.”

Chakrit: “Oh. Too much pride to take public transportation, so you took self-transportation.” He looks at her feet. “You also fear it, afraid that the people who approach you are egoistic, you don’t want to be hurt knowing that they never approach out of pure courtesy.”

Suvanant: “Oh my.” She claps her hand sarcastically and turns to face him. “You are correct. How deep of a think you are.” She took a couple of dollars from her purse. “Being my shrink for these three minutes. This should be enough for one visit.” She slams the money into his chest. “Our time is up.” Chakrit gave out a huff as though he was short of breath. “Are you offended?” She evilly smiles at him with satisfaction.

Chakrit: “You want a yes? I won’t give you one.” Her smile fades as she was unable to tear him apart. She took a step back and was going to continue her walk, but her heel gets stuck in a cracked in the side walk and as she fell back the heel angle so much that it snap off. Chakrit wraps his arm around her back and arched her toward him. They passionately gazed at each other as the wind blows through them. After a few seconds Suvanant push him off. Chakrit leans down and tugs the heel out of the crack while Suvanant hops beside him. “I’ll take you back to the company. Or you prefer to hop like a bunny all the way there?” She puts her feet down but twist her ankle each time she lost balance on the shoe. “Instead of hopping, you will try to limp like an old lady there?” He shakes his head. He grabs for her arm but she backs away, again she fumbles, but this time he swept her off her feet. “You may dislike me but don’t but yourself in dangers way by avoiding my help.”

Suvanant: “What dangers?”

Chakrit: “I don’t sense safety right now.” Suvanant looks over his shoulder.

Suvanant: “Let me down, I want to check over there.” He swirls her around to look where she was looking.

Chakrit: “There’s nothing.”

Suvanant: “I saw something.”

Chakrit: “We’re going to be late if we linger here any longer.”

Suvanant: “I want to know who’s following me.” She demanded. “I had the feeling someone was watching me since my car broke down, let me down, now so I can investigate…”

Chakrit: “You’re just being paranoid.” He carries her to the car.

Suvanant: “Why didn’t you tell me?” Suvanant looks at the rearview mirror and notice smoke dust stain her cheek. That was the reason why Chakrit was laughing.

Chakrit: “If I told you, I would be blame for gawking at you too much.” He takes a cloth from his jacket and gently wiped off the gray ashes off her cheek. But she quickly snatched it and looks into the mirror to wipe it herself.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Chapter 8

***Later that night at the Geisha Hotel***

In the garden of the housing complex, Kob sat on a large boulder as she glides her finger across the surface of the water in the pond. She watch the carp swim along.

Kob: “Maybe, the water had been calm for too long. I’ll have to awaken it.” A droplet fell from the sky and causes her image to ripple in the water. She looks above at the dark sky and the moon above. Sensing bad weather, she heads inside the housing.

Earlier that day, Kob’s boss had informed her that the koto was in the shop because of the loose string and it won’t be fixed until the next day. However Kob came to work as one of the kitchen staff. She was setting trays so the other workers can bring it out to their customers. While she work one of her acquaintance let her know that Tik arrived and if she wanted to let her ask for the ring back because she also notice the ring on Tik’s finger which belong to Kob. The workers where a close bunch and treated each other like sisters.

Kob: “I’ll get it later.” She twirls her hair up and fixed her hair into a loose bun.

She brush her bangs aside because they were covering her eye. She reached into her mouth to get the hair pin she was biting on and slid into her hair to keep it together. The decoration on the pin was a style that feature plum/sakura like flowers, still on the branch with buds cascading down on the end of delicate tassels. It made the flowers look like they were growing on the stick.

Girl: “I thought that ring was that important to you by the way you threaten the boss yesterday. Now you’re willing to wait.”

Kob: “If I let him see me…he’ll make me turn to someone I am not.”

Girl: “What?” She doesn’t understand.

Kob: “Get back to work…” She rush her off with a new bottle of liquor. She comes back for a fifth consecutive time.

Girl: “I need another bottle of sake/liquor.”

Kob: “More?” She takes the bottle and starts to refill it.

Girl: “He seems distress.” She leans next to her. “He was mumbling some thing about no family even if father is still here.”

Kob: “He’s mourning.”

Girl: “How do you know?”

Kob: “Just a guess…You know if one of a child’s parents die and the one alive decided to get re-marry, it’s hard for the child to accept a new parent, you can say they are in denial.”

Girl: “He should be glad to at least have a parent, unlike most of us working here…” She walks to the other side of Kob. “It seem like a rehab house here.”

Kob: “You don’t like it here.”

Girl: “Of course I like here, just that…”

Kob: “Just that what?”

Girl: “It’s hard to find one who would accept you for who you are rather than what you are. Have you found one?”

Kob: “No…but there many fish in the sea. My bait is still waiting for a bite.” She jokes.

Girl: “You wait too long, a storm will come…” She swings her hand around like they were a gust of wind. She knocks out the sake she was refilling.

Boss: “What’s going on here?”

Girl: “I’m sorry. Kob…I’ll clean up here.”

Boss: “Why did you girls just leave the man unattended?”

Girl: “I thought Hoshi was taking care of him.” One of the other girl workers tells them Hoshi just went home, calling in sick.

Boss: “You girls give such a short notice. You know better to leave an intoxicated man in a room.”

Girl: “What if he’s….he had drank himself to death.”

Kob: “Don’t be foolish.”

Boss: “You clean this up.” She tells the girl. “Kob go check up on the man.”

Kob: “Why me?”

Boss: “Because I know you won’t freak out like her.” She pointed to the girl who was cleaning up the sake stain on the floor.

Girl: “Don’t scold me.”

Kob: “I’m not dress.”

Boss: “He’s drunk, even if he open his eyes he won’t be able to remember you.”

As Kob head out into the open hall, she can see the heavy rain that was pouring down from the roof. Kob stops in front of the room Tik was inside and pushed the sliding door a bit to get a sneak peek at his status. However, the room was empty. She wonders inside. When she reach the knee height table, next drink tray, she saw her ring laying there.

Kob: “This is too easy.” She walks around the table and picks up her ring. Because the ring was soak in sake liquor, the ring slips through her fingers when she tired to put it on. She rush at as it rolled toward the screen panel that was used for their customers to dress behind. She kneels down and picks it up. She slid the ring inside her finger. She spread out her hand in front of her to see it secured in her possession. Immediately she heard a sigh, she could see Tik at the corner of her eyes. “He’s changing.”

Tik had his back turned to her, so he didn’t know she was there. He had just zipped his pants and was fixing the belt on. Kob gets up to leave discreetly but her arm hits the screen panel and it falls onto the floor. Now there was nothing in between them. Kob stood there with her back turn to him, her heart beat rapidly. Tik slightly turned his head and looked over his shoulder and could see the women in the room. When she dash toward the door he charged at her also. His dress shirt wasn’t even button yet, revealing his muscular abs. Kob was a few steps from the door when he reached out and grabbed Kob’s wrist. They were far apart but Kob arm was extended to him. The lights flicker then turned off, the little storm outside had caused a power outage. Kob tugging back only made Tik yank her closer to him. As he did so, she quickly put her arm up to cover her face afraid that if lighten strike he would see her eyes and half of her upper face.

Tik: “You are here to retrieve you ring, right? If you don’t tell me who you are, I will…do something to this place, probably close it down.” Kob’s jaw clutched.

Kob: “You can’t do that.”

Tik: “Why?”

Kob: “Many girls who work here rely on this workplace for their income. Many will go jobless. Don’t go pulling stunts, you’ll ruin lives.”

Tik: “Then…simply…tell me…you’re name…” Kob breathes heavily.

Kob: “I am…am…” She stutter. Tik discreetly scuffle with something in pocket. He takes it out. Kob’s eye widens as she saw him flash a lighter in between them. Her heart began to beat fast. Tik studies her. “When I console you, it wasn’t out of kindness, it’s part of my job to keep a customer happy, please don’t misinterpret my actions. I did not mislead you.”

Tik: “I didn’t.”

Kob: “Then why are you pursuing me like this…not giving me the right to hide my own identity. Afraid of customers like this and to prevent stalkers, this is why I won’t reveal myself.”

Tik: “You sure talk a lot. Very different from the women I thought you were.”

Kob: “Who?” She pretends not to know.

Tik: “The women you sent to retrieve your ring, Suvanant.” He thinks for a few seconds. “How does a person of her status, befriend such a person. You’re opposite of each other.”

Kob: “The way we encountered. It wasn’t a choice.” She was a bit on the offensive side disliking how Tik was comparing them. Suvanant was high class and repressed, while she was low class and impulsive.

Tik: “It wasn’t a choice... That’s why there was a meeting in the mall.” He made reference to meeting his father and his new family. “I despise myself for growing jealous of the affection he was displaying towards his new family.” While Tik was loosing his focus she hits the lighter off his hand. She couldn’t make a run for it because he had caught twirled her and pin her against the wall. He used his arm and body as a wall, she was caught inside a box. As he close in on her she could smell the liquor from his breath.

Kob: “What’s wrong with you? Drowning yourself in liquor to loose unwanted memories. You need to get hold of yourself.”

Tik: “Do you realize that if I get a grip of myself…This place will loose a customer.”

Kob: “I believe I speak for the whole crew that we don’t need a baby here.”

Tik: “You’re calling me immature.”

Kob: “Am I wrong?” He smirks at her, knowing he meant he was like a child seeking for attention.

Tik: “I can’t help what I reveal when I’m drunk…nor control…my actions.”

Kob: “You…” Tik leans in and rest his cheek against hers. Kob could feel his nose tip her ear.

Tik: “Since today onward, I won’t have time to come anymore.”

Kob: “That’s correct…starting next week, he start managing ‘Illusion Magazine’ company with Suvanant.” She ponder to herself. “Why didn’t you just leave? Why did you have to tell me?” She thought.

Tik: “If there’s a day, you need someone. A shoulder to lean on. I want you to remember me. Come find my any time.” He brings her hand down and patted it. “You lend an ear to listen to my nonsenses, I owe you.”

Kob: “Haven’t you heard me clearly, it’s my job.”

Tik: “I understand, you have no feelings towards me and I, none toward you. You help me and I help you.. It’s just a self-conscious thing that runs in people’s mind.”

Kob: “I want nothing in return.”

Tik: “Haha. Alright.” He pats her face. “Button my shirt.”

Kob: “I’m off duty.”

Tik: “I wasn’t asking you, I was telling you.” He takes hold of her hand pulled her closer. “The sooner you’re done, the sooner I leave. Don’t you want that.” She felt his shirt for the buttons since it was dark. She slid the buttons into the gaps from bottom to top. Once she was done she tilted a bit aside not wanting to witiness his departure. He walks around her and stood behind her. He put a hand on the side of her arm and step closer to her. She can feel the side of his head resting against hers and his warm breathing brushing across her ear. “If there’s a chance we meet again, I will return it.”

He leaves. Kob walks out and lean out of the sliding door and peeks out into the hallway, thinking what he meant by that. As she watched Tik walk away her hair fell down to the side since she was slanting out the door. She quickly felt through her hair.

Kob: “You thief.”

When the taxi left the geisha house. Tik pulled something out and stare at it as the moonlight shined into the back of the car. Tik twirls the hair pin around infront of him and watches the rose buds swirls around.

Tik: “I should ask for permission first…but I didn’t ask because I knew you would not approve.”

*** The morning of the day the small conference was held in ‘Illusion Magazine’ Company. Infront of the company’s building. ***

Ploy: “Thanks…” Kob handed her a drink and was leaning on a pillar. They were waiting for the arrival of Chakrit, Suvanant, Tik. Ploy was an editorial of a large newspaper company and she was assign the job. She had a camera around her neck, pen, paper, recorder, everything she needed to write an article. “Why did you want to tag along today?”

Kob: “You know. I only have a night job, therefore I have a lot of time free time on my hand, to explore.”

Ploy: “You make a decent salary just playing that koto of yours, I wonder why you would want to live with me.”

Kob: “I want to be close you and my god-daughter.”

Ploy: “You remember the time to pick Popuri from kindergarten right?”

Kob: “Right on twelve this afternoon.” She fixed her thick sunglass and lowered her blue cap when a car approaches. She wore an over large coat along with a boyish suit to hide her gender. Kob could hear the reporters asking multiple questions at a time and calling Mr. Kongying’s name. She tips her glass a bit and watches him walk into the building. Ploy tugs on her as they followed Mr. Kongying into the building and were escorted by a worker into the conference room with the rest of the reporters. However she made the excuse she needed to use the restroom so she stray away from the crowd.

After sneaking up to the building’s chart and finding out the level where the managers were station in. She used the stairs to discreetly make her way up.

***Top Level of ‘Illusion Magazine’ company***

Chakrit was standing in a room next to the conference room, waiting for the arrival of Tik and Suvanant. He stares off outside the window of the top floor. They had been waiting there for half an hour.

Chakrit: “So much media, they are like ants outside.” He fixed his tie. “Mr. Pholdee, will you allow me.”

Mr. Pholdee nodded, it was up to Chakrit to make up an excuse for Tik, he was always there to fill in the blank for the company. Chakrit twisted the knob and pull the door inside ready to go out, but infront of him was stood Tik. He warns them that not only the media and reporters were there, but their rival competitors had also send their editorial writer there. He was still downstairs making sure their area was secure and no designs leak out or no models speak out of the new line of fashion which, ‘Illusion Magazine’ was keeping a secret. Chakrit was a bit jealous, when Mr. Kongying and Mr. Pholdee grew impressed.

Tik: “The reporters will make assumptions if we stay here longer.”

Chakrit: “That’s my line.” He thinks quietly.

Suvanant: “We’re wasting precious time.” She stood behind Tik and looks into the room where her father, Mr. Pholdee, and Chakrit were standing in.

***Conference room***

Mr. Kongying and Mr. Pholdee announced the new management. One of the reporters asked Tik about him taking a cheap step up the ladder while Chakrit worked his way up.

Tik: “Some people take advantage of the media and worked in the eye of the camera to boast their status. However, have you thought the one’s who worked the hardest are the one who no one captures on film.” He was making example using entertainment, how the writers and director was the one doing the majority of the work while the actors only had to memorize the lines. “I don’t like to catch attention, because it only puts much pressure on my work and those around me. I understand it’s your job to keep the public aware of our every move, but I expect you reporters to give me and my company some privacy, put a limit on your announcement, as well as finding concrete proof before accusations starts, it’s for the greater good.”

The crowd loves him when he referred them. Whether negative or positive, they got mention. This is the first time they saw that Chakrit was silent. Ploy, Kob’s friend was shocked when seeing Suvanant, just sitting there with the pen in her hand, one of her co-workers nudge her and she snaps out of it. She writes her article and asked questions.