Remember Me

lynnyang

sarNie Adult

Chapter 1

“Edward…Edward…promise me you won’t forget! Promise me…”
The woman’s voice was returning. What did she meant? Was she referring to him? This was the 100th time he heard her voice in his dream, but no pictures or illusion of who this woman was. Her voice when she spoke was filled with concern and sadness. How he wishes he could understand what she want. His head starts burning in pain the deeper he tried to think.
“Liam! Liam! Liam, baby is your head hurting again?” Kylie Campbell asked, standing beside his chair and trying to wake him up. The moment she walked in his office and found him with his head down lying on the desk, she heard him grunting in pain through his sleep.
Liam awoke when he heard the voice calling his name. The pain in his head faded instantly when he woke up. Weird, the pain usually happens when he hears the woman’s voice only. Kylie went on her knees and cupped his face with her hands. She was looking at him worriedly.
“Liam, are you okay?” she asked again.
He flashed her a smile showing all his white teeth.
“How do I look?” he teased.
She dropped her hands and rolled her eyes at him before chuckling, “God, you scared me!”
“Michelle wants us to be at your house in 15 minutes for dinner. You want to take a leave now? Your secretary said you’ve been working hard lately. Don’t forget what Neil said!” said Kylie and closed his laptop.
He rolled his eyes and threw his hand in the air in defeat. He got up and mocked her, “Don’t forget what Neil said!”
“Let’s get going, Mr. Champion!” Kylie took his arm and led them out of the office.
Later at the Champion’s house, the three finished dinner.
“Liam, would you excuse us. I have a private matter that I need to discuss with Michelle,” said Kylie who sat beside him.
He stood up and said jokingly, “Sure, I’ll leave you ladies alone. I’ll go get some fresh air outside. Oh…I better not be the subject of your matter,” and left.
The ladies settled in the living room, each sat across each other. Michelle spoke first, “So what is it that you need to discuss with me, dear?”
Kylie answered nervously, “Liam’s having the reaction again.”
Michelle went silence for a minute and found her voice speaking up again.
“I’m sure it’s not going to be a big deal. He’s had it in the past and everything seems normal. He’ll be fine. You don’t need to get yourself all worried up, Kylie.”
“But…we don’t know for sure. He’s never told me anything after each reaction. I’m just scared. I’m scared he’ll-“
“Don’t be!” Michelle interrupted. “He’s going to be fine. He’s beginning a new life. I want the best for my son. We should be encouraging him, not make him back to what he once was.”
Kylie sighed and nodded her head in agreement. But deep down, she was frightened. She wasn’t sure if it was right or not, but if it was best for Liam than she was willing to do it, keep his past a secret.
Liam was outside in the garden, looking at the dark night filled with stars. Had his life been like this all his 27 years, perfect and shining like those stars in the sky? He was the only
child of the Champions and loved by everyone. Not to mention, he was the heir! His father was never home, always out of the state working and only seen on family occasion. His mother was a workaholic too, but always had time for him, if he remembered right. His life was perfect, but somehow it didn’t feel right. His instinct keeps telling him this isn’t what he wants or need; there was something else…something important missing.
“Who’s there?” Liam asked when he saw the shadow moving behind the tree.
The woman showed herself. Her face was covered with a veil and didn’t dare look at him. She was dressed all in black. He couldn’t tell if she was young or not, but from what he heard she was in her early 20’s.
“Are you the garden girl?” he asked politely.
She didn’t look up and nodded her head in response.
“I’ve heard about you from my Nanna. Well, it’s nice to meet you. I’m Liam, the young master of this house. I didn’t by any chance scare you, did I?”
Again, she nodded her head.
“I’m sorry, I know you can’t speak, but can you write?” he asked. His Nanna told him that the girl’s face was burnt badly and that she was mute too. He pitied the girl when he heard about it. It must’ve been hard for her because no woman can tolerate their face being ruined.
She picked up a small wood stick and scribbled on the mud: Yes.
Liam smiled, “Nanna said you take good care of the garden and you know a lot about flowers. Will it be okay if you put some fresh flowers in my room everyday?”
Liam waited for her to finish writing. She wrote: Not allowed in the house.
He frowned after reading it and than replied, “It’s okay, I’ll tell my mother that I allowed you. I’m sure things will work out. So how long have you worked here?”
She wrote: 3 years.
His eyes wide open in disbelief.
“Wow, 3 years! I’ve been in the hospital for quite awhile so that’s why I haven’t met yet.”
She asked writing: Why in the hospital?
“I had a car accident.”
She replied: Oh.
“Yeah,” he chuckled, “not good!”
After a few moment of silence, she scribbled on the ground again asking: What kind of flowers?
Liam laughed, “I don’t know. You choose!”
She answered: Ok.
“Do you have a name? I mean a name you would prefer me to call you?”
She wrote: No.
His mouth opened in a small O, surprisingly.
“So you don’t mind me and others calling you Garden Girl?”
She nodded her head this time.
“Ok, if you insist. Well, it’s getting dark. I should go back inside. Nice meeting you, good night,” he said and turned to leave, but stopped when she grabbed his arm. He looked down and noticed the burnt marks on her small hand. Quickly, she pulls away embarrassingly and hid her hand.
“Yes?”
She scribbled: Good night.
Liam smiled after he finished reading and went inside.
To be continue...