Question about deleting files off computer

swtanne

I want to clear some files off my computer so that there will be more disk space..does just deleting it permanently from the recycle bin help? because some one told me that the files is still on your computer..it doesn't go away..so is there a way to gain more disk space? ;)

darvil

sarNie Adult
Yes everything you delete is still on your PC. Cleaning out your recycle bin will give you alot more space (its still on your PC even after emptying but thats another story). You have to remember that this ISN"T always true. Huge files (like 4.5 gig) cannot be in the recycle bin so it'll get deleted right away.. or if a program delete a file it won't be in the recycle bin.

sunisa

Darvil said:
Yes everything you delete is still on your PC. Cleaning out your recycle bin will give you alot more space (its still on your PC even after emptying but thats another story).
[post="150759"][/post]​
what do u mean it is still on the PC even after emptying them?i delete some files and i want to restore them back.they're pretty big and i don't want to redownload them because each one takes a long tiime.is there a way to restore them back even after emptying them?thanks a lot! :D

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
after u empty them I doubt there is away to restore them...because they have been deleted from your pc.....I could be wrong though... but most likely there isn't away to restore them after you have empty your recycle bin..., but if you are looking for away to gain more disk space here goes some options..........

You Can Use This To Minimize the amout of disk space that your restore points can use

Open My Computer
Right-click in a blank space on My Computer
Click Properties
Click on System Restore
Click on Settings...
Move the slider all the way to the left
Click on OK and OK again

You Can Un-install things you don't use anymore

Open Control Panel
Click (or double-click) on Add or Remove Programs

A window will open listing all the software you have installed on your computer. To uninstall something, click on it, then click on the Change/Remove or Remove button. Only uninstall software you know you don't need or use.

Internet Explorer keeps some webpages and images in its cache. This means that it loads up webpages faster. It does take up space on your hard drive, so we can delete the cache, and limit how much space it can take up.

Load Internet Explorer
Click on Tools
Click on Internet Options...
Click on Delete Files... under Temporary Internet Files (it may take up to a few minutes for it to do this. You may need to be patient, so just let your computer do it.)
After deleting your Temporary Internet Files, click on the button next to Delete Files... which is Settings...
There is a slider which shows how much hard drive space Internet Explorer can use for the Temporary Internet Files. Move it all the way to the left, so it uses as little as possible.
Click on OK and OK again.

If you use Outlook Express for emails, you can compact the folders to save hard drive space.

Load Outlook Express
Click on File
Click on Folder
Click on Compact All Folders

After doing these things, restart your computer.

Now we will delete your temporary files that Windows may have kept for too long. This can free up a lot of space on your hard drive.

Open My Computer
Right-click on your hard drive (probably called "C")
Click on Explore
On the left side of the window, click on Documents and Settings
Click on your name (or the name which you always go on the computer with)
Click on Local Settings
Click on Temp
It may take a minute or two to display all the files. Be patient.
Click on Edit (at the top of the window)
Click on Select All
Click on File (at the top of the window)
Click on Delete
Confirm you want to delete all the files

The files may get moved to the Recycle Bin. As before, open the Recycle Bin, click File, and click Empty Recycle Bin.

After doing all this, have a look again at your hard drive space, see how much is used, and how much you have free. I'm willing to bet that after doing all this, you'll have a lot more space free than before.

Credit to Lavasoft <3

HmMmm hope this helps some.. but another method u can use is burn everything you have onto a disk as data....you can burn up to 10 parts of 30 minute lakorns and about 12-14 albums on a regular 700 mb cd and if you do data dvds you can get about 4.5 gigs... and 4.5 gigs worth of data is alot

OH!!!! This is something very important also!!!make sure you scan your pc regularly!!because if you catch viruses and Adware and etc...Those can take up a crud load of space!! once it happened to me... I didnt scan my pc regularly and when I finally did it freeed up a good 9 gigs hahah lol =x

darvil

sarNie Adult
sunisa said:
what do u mean it is still on the PC even after emptying them?i delete some files and i want to restore them back.they're pretty big and i don't want to redownload them because each one takes a long tiime.is there a way to restore them back even after emptying them?thanks a lot! :D
[post="150989"][/post]​
Yes you can still recover them but you must realize that it isn't a 100 percent success chance.

Also if you have been reusing the harddrive and it has been a while since you have deleted the files then it would be harder for you to recover. The thing is that when a file is deleted it isn't officially "deleted". It just becomes "open" for new stuff to be put in its place.

So to help you understand.. think of your harddrive as a house. Now lets say you delete a file (like a chair from the house). The chair is still there but you tagged it so that the "chair" can be replaced by something else. So when you download something new.. something new (like a table) will be put in that chair's place. So as long as you don't do alot of things since you deleted the files, there is a very good chance you can recover it.

For example I accidently (YES its very stupid) formatted the wrong harddrive and lost all my music videos (thai, korea, jap, etc) and I manage to recover about 70 percent of them. Still sucks about the other 30 percent but I guess 70 is better then zero huh? :) Oh yea its hard to recover huge files like 700 megs + (IE concert videos). I don't think I recovered any.

Anyway if you want to try this. Go to www.sarnworld.com/programs
and find a file called R-Studio 2.0 (data recovery utility for NTFS & FAT, serial included).rar

Download that.. install that and let it scan thru the harddrive you want to recover stuff from. IT will take a long time so be patient. After its done it'll display a long list of stuff.. Yes its a pain in the ass to look thru them but if you want to recover stuff you gotta do it.

Also you should have another partition or Harddrive to recover the files TO. Like if you find a file you want to recover, you should recover that file to a different partition/drive.

Also this brings up the question of how clean your system can be. Have you ever heard of cases on TV where people were able to recover financial records from government computers which were sold to the public?

This is because most people (even PC geeks) don't fully understand how it works. How do you think FBI and such are able to recover deleted stuff from PC? They use similar things.. of course what they have is much better because it goes beyond just software.

man I typed too much again.

sunisa

Thanks a bunch Darvil and KhoOnxNouxWanxJai!!I'm gonna try the R-Studio now.hopefully I could at least recover most of the episodes at least because I just delete them last Friday.Thanks again!! :D :D

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Your Welcomes even though I didn't help much at all hehehe grandpa darviee gets all the credit for this one .. cause he knows way more :wub: