Oroville New Year Singing Competition Clip

venosat

sarNie Hatchling
OK guys...I'm not too savvy on this whole cut and paste thingy and linking things. I found KML's 1st day competition song on YOUTUBE that one of the fans posted. We normally tape all of our events but will almost never post them up. I can't find MTV's or CK and PX's performances...or that of PC Ink's on youtube from anyone else's clips. If management agrees then I will have KML post up our clips.

We are extremely proud of MTV, KML, and CK for their wins. As always ....thank you all for your kind support!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbP1XJYx9LY

SuabCoobThoj

sarNie Egg
He won second place? How many singers were there? How good or bad were the others?

By this, I did not mean that he's bad or anything but he did ok. Also, I think there's a star factor that's involve in these Hmong singing competitions (at least I think there is). If you're an established singer or part of a band, you're bound to score higher than someone who just pop out of no where.

Anyways, these new year singing competitions seems like a lot of fun. Makes me wanna compete so BAD!!!!! B)

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
He won second place? How many singers were there? How good or bad were the others?

By this, I did not mean that he's bad or anything but he did ok. Also, I think there's a star factor that's involve in these Hmong singing competitions (at least I think there is). If you're an established singer or part of a band, you're bound to score higher than someone who just pop out of no where.

Anyways, these new year singing competitions seems like a lot of fun. Makes me wanna compete so BAD!!!!! B)
i think i heard that there were like 8 people who signed up to compete at oroville... but iono?

venosat

sarNie Hatchling

I honestly think that none of the judges has heard of my kids before. They were very stiff (never smiled) and paid extremely close attention to each singer as they went up.
I asked the coordinators what these judges qualifications were and they told me that judge

#1 was an actual singer from Oroville( he looked mid 20’s, but I’ve never heard of him before…but being a singer himself I thought he was the most lenient because he understood the dynamics more)

….Judge #2 was a dancer (she was really critical while judging…no emotions..just blank)….

and judge #3 was a phD in something that had to do with the arts..or something…(he was much older like in his mid forties…very, very tough and paid really close attention to everything on stage).

They did not look impressed with anyone….even the girls that went up….lol..(this was a first because from my experience…girls were always almost favored over the boys) It was really hard to tell what each judge was thinking until they held up their scores.

Suabcoobthoj….you should do it because it is an experience. It is the best way to build confidence and the best way to humble yourself. This is the sole reason why I enter my singers. My singers need to know that no matter how good they think they are…there will always be someone better so they best not think too highly of themselves and stay grounded…lol…. It is also the best way to feel out the audience’s reaction towards you as a singer. Based on that, you can fine tune and adjust yourself so that you can do better on stage next time around.

Never go in there thinking that you will win even though you’ve got it handled….. but rather as a way to help entertain the audience…because in a sense, you are an entertainer before a competitor…...so if you win then the better for you….but if you lose…oh well…you did your job and had fun at it.

whitecrow

sarNie Egg
Oroville is My Home town, and I know the enough about the judges to point out any mis-understanding.

So I missed out on the first day of the competition, however I recorded the whole thing on the second day.

First day Judges are:
Facing the stage the order from left to right:

Yeng Thao - He is New Breed's Manager. His is not in his 40's, this guy is in his late twenties. This guy have been with the band for a long time. All of you who are manager you must know your band and know the different style because you are paying attention to your band at the same time listening to the rest of the world. So he have some music experience and the qualification to become a judge.
Ia Vang - Leader of a local Dance group (Star Light). I don’t know much about her expect she is very young probably in her very early twenties. However she is very sweet, how else can she managed a group.
Dang Lee - He's received his communication design degree from Chico State and he is also a singer (part of the Eternal Band, local Band) Also he produces a few movies, however I don't know and have not seem them myself. I saw the cover and heard local talks about it.

Second day- one of the judge were replaced Yeng Thao was replaced by Xia Vang:

Xia Vang - a member of New Breed. In my opinion, he have a much better conscience of judging and he was giving the most honest score out of the all the judges. A very easy to talk to type of person.
Ia Vang
Dang Lee

In term of the competitors, there were several singers signed up on the first day. However, every else dropped out the second day and we end up with 5 participations.

In my opinion, the singing competition is meant for amateur, not established singer. It's a way for people to scout for new stars and allow new star the raise in the Hmong entertainment industry. I found that many established singer does not have the basic of thee basic which is breathing technique. Many singer are stuck at a level and never raise above the level they are stuck at.

To PC Vaj (SEG)
I don’t know what you were thinking when you sign your singers up for Oroville’s signing competition. You are right, the judges does not know or heard of your singers, other wise your singers may be disqualified before they got to show their talent. Think about this; if Brain Thao, Yeng Vang (New Breed’s lead Vocal), Zinc’s lead vocal, Beta’s lead vocal, and other singers who attend the Oroville New Year decided to participate in this competition, will that be fair? Your singers belong to the list above. There is this unspoken law that the above singers know and you and your singer may not be aware of; you don’t participate in an amateur’s signing competition. Once you put yourself out there with the rest of the singer, you can performed as a way to entertain the crowds but not to walk away with the prize, and be crowned as winner.
Sorry my heart and guts is telling me that what you did was unethical and you have no integrity. Period.

nkaujhmooblauj

sarNie Adult
i think SEG is trying to promote her band..
but i also agree that they should stop competing in every competition..
because like ^^ said... they are "established" singers already..

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
i think SEG uploaded their singin competition clips onto youtube already. i jus finished watching every single one.

dajdeev

sarNie Juvenile
don't worry guys!!!!!!!!! i heard that seg said that this is KML & MTV last competition, so no more competition to them and I want to say congrats to both of them.

i also want to say that if you guys don't want to see them compete anymore then how about you guys? you guys should go for it too!!!!!!! the reason why it have singing competition is because of them!!!!!! don't u guys want to see singing competition? i do! but some of you guys need to compete too and please don't by shy and go for it and it a great experience too

NOTE: txhob cem kuv nawb!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

venosat

sarNie Hatchling
Oroville is My Home town, and I know the enough about the judges to point out any mis-understanding.

So I missed out on the first day of the competition, however I recorded the whole thing on the second day.

First day Judges are:
Facing the stage the order from left to right:

Yeng Thao - He is New Breed's Manager. His is not in his 40's, this guy is in his late twenties. This guy have been with the band for a long time. All of you who are manager you must know your band and know the different style because you are paying attention to your band at the same time listening to the rest of the world. So he have some music experience and the qualification to become a judge.
Ia Vang - Leader of a local Dance group (Star Light). I don't know much about her expect she is very young probably in her very early twenties. However she is very sweet, how else can she managed a group.
Dang Lee - He's received his communication design degree from Chico State and he is also a singer (part of the Eternal Band, local Band) Also he produces a few movies, however I don't know and have not seem them myself. I saw the cover and heard local talks about it.

Second day- one of the judge were replaced Yeng Thao was replaced by Xia Vang:

Xia Vang - a member of New Breed. In my opinion, he have a much better conscience of judging and he was giving the most honest score out of the all the judges. A very easy to talk to type of person.
Ia Vang
Dang Lee

In term of the competitors, there were several singers signed up on the first day. However, every else dropped out the second day and we end up with 5 participations.

In my opinion, the singing competition is meant for amateur, not established singer. It's a way for people to scout for new stars and allow new star the raise in the Hmong entertainment industry. I found that many established singer does not have the basic of thee basic which is breathing technique. Many singer are stuck at a level and never raise above the level they are stuck at.

To PC Vaj (SEG)
I don't know what you were thinking when you sign your singers up for Oroville's signing competition. You are right, the judges does not know or heard of your singers, other wise your singers may be disqualified before they got to show their talent. Think about this; if Brain Thao, Yeng Vang (New Breed's lead Vocal), Zinc's lead vocal, Beta's lead vocal, and other singers who attend the Oroville New Year decided to participate in this competition, will that be fair? Your singers belong to the list above. There is this unspoken law that the above singers know and you and your singer may not be aware of; you don't participate in an amateur's signing competition. Once you put yourself out there with the rest of the singer, you can performed as a way to entertain the crowds but not to walk away with the prize, and be crowned as winner.
Sorry my heart and guts is telling me that what you did was unethical and you have no integrity. Period.
First of all, I'd like to thank you for your observations, but you forget that we have never made an album. Sure we entered competitions and did shows for the fun of it, but they have never had an album. In addition, the rules also says that you cannot have an album where you are featured as the main lead so that is why it does not apply to us. I consider this as part of my singers training. Until they have an actual album out then they will be considered as Pro's.

And in addition, if you are calling me unethical then are you also calling all those past singers and the people that supported them (regardless if they are backed by individuals or company) from all these other past competitions unethical because they sent their singers to go compete? In case you need an example then....Mai Kao Thao....she won Fresno singing competition...is she and her father both unethical because she's been competing with Americans and gone to American Idol and has had the training that even my boys don't....or the second place winner....Darla Yang who has had like 4-5 albums already???? Don't get me wrong, these two ladies have incredible vocals and I would support them any day. I have no complaint with them or their managers at all. They won because they were better. I can also name a few of the other contestants in all of the past copmpetitions that had did what you had accused me of doing. So then are we all unethical just because we did a few shows and tried promting ourselves? I think you should really think before you say anything because you're accusing me of doing what a lot of others did before me. I have no problems with people showing themselves or competing at venues as long as they have NO ALBUM's out!

If we are premiering and doing show circuits to help promote our singers (regardless of singing competitions or not), I do not think that it is unethical because they are in fact all still amateurs. Written or unwritten, I do understand your unspoken law but you forget that the singers you mentioned above all have albums out. My crop of singers has never had one.

It has always been my intentions to enter all my singers at competitions until they have an actual album out. Once its out then they will follow protocol and exit the competition circuit. Win or lose, it is not my concern. As long as they had fun and can gain experience from it then it is good enough for me. I am sorry if you all feel differently, but we try to breed the best vocalists here at SEG and spent a lot of time and efforts to ensure success on all of our singers.

All I am trying to do is train our new young crop of singers into better vocalists for future hmong generations. I am sorry if I did my job really well. I have always been a fair person and and you can criticize me all you want, but I still stand by my decision that I did nothing wrong because my singers are still amateurs.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
I don’t know what you were thinking when you sign your singers up for Oroville’s signing competition. You are right, the judges does not know or heard of your singers, other wise your singers may be disqualified before they got to show their talent. Think about this; if Brain Thao, Yeng Vang (New Breed’s lead Vocal), Zinc’s lead vocal, Beta’s lead vocal, and other singers who attend the Oroville New Year decided to participate in this competition, will that be fair? Your singers belong to the list above. There is this unspoken law that the above singers know and you and your singer may not be aware of; you don’t participate in an amateur’s signing competition. Once you put yourself out there with the rest of the singer, you can performed as a way to entertain the crowds but not to walk away with the prize, and be crowned as winner.
It's a good thing that u brought this up. becuz i actually that if these singers competed earlier in the years at the new years, then i think they would have gotten a better audience and more fans. im gonna be honest here, i go to new years all the time but i've never heard of these singers....i see booths where zinc, ciaj sia, new breed, brian thao and all these new singers..but i've never seen them perform live(excluding their concerts). i think that if they were to compete before they had their albums out, it wouldve benefitted them more.

but like SEG said, they all have an album out, so they can't compete whether they want to or not. it's those who don't have an album that are competing.

whitecrow

sarNie Egg
Several valid point from SEG. However I still feel otherwise.

I don't know about this MAIKAO THAO, and never heard of her.

I have no interest in becoming part of the music industry, I am simply voicing my concern and how I felt about things.

So SEG, my point is even if your singers have not release an album, they have been scouted, that seperate them from the newbies. At least that is how I felt about thing. However if your guts is telling you otherwise, its best to go with your guts. I know life is much more sweeter if I follow my guts feeling. 99% of the time my guts is correct.

Well good luck to all. That really clear things up for me.

Bye.

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
durr the gal who sings with seg band at sac high school the night where they did this sing or sorta like show...she was there to sing it too...n the song she sing was in a thai movie where she announce..i think u kjnow her but probably forgot..hea's a link to her suingin in u-tube...
Mai Kao Thao