aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
We are so innocent. We think that other countries would be like ours. Lol Our country is not perfect but it definitely is a blessing and privilege to be here.

AikOm^_^

Just an ordinary gal in an extraordinary world.
aiyaja said:
In Asian countries, there are no witnesses who will come forth. No one wants to be involved. That's the saddest thing. I remember watching this one lady come on Thai television once about how she got beat up by this guy who rammed into her car. He rammed into her car, was at fault, and when she came out to say something to him, they both got into a heated argument. By the time she realized it, he had already beaten her up so badly right there in public, on the side of the road. People just drove by and walked by. When one or two people stopped to look, the guy said that she was his wife for others not to bud in and those people just continued walking without helping when she was screaming that's not true for them to help her. What was most messed up was at the end of the news segment, the host of the news show blamed her. He was like, everyone, please remember if you get into a similar situation, please don't talk back or argue back or else you may end up like her. Never once did he say that guy was wrong for beating up a woman.

Wow. :nono1: That news host. :thumbdown:

aiyaja said:
We are so innocent. We think that other countries would be like ours. Lol Our country is not perfect but it definitely is a blessing and privilege to be here.

Hehe, yeah, I'm pretty grateful I live here, too, despite my wish to be able to experience living in a different country.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Maybe this is why some countries dislike Americans. We were brought up differently and always compare things to how they are here, hence why we always want to do things our way because it's the "right" way. Lol.

AikOm^_^

Mahalo said:
Maybe this is why some countries dislike Americans. We were brought up differently and always compare things to how they are here, hence why we always want to do things our way because it's the "right" way. Lol.

Hmm, but everybody has a different conception on the "right" way, even in the same country.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Maiko^_^ said:

Hmm, but everybody has a different conception on the "right" way, even in the same country.
That's why I put the word "right" in quotes because it's subjective. Not everyone's perception is correct. Haha. Sometimes, what we think is right or okay isn't quite appropriate in other cultures. For example, many ethnicity think it's okay to wear shoes in the house when Asians think it's rude. Lol. Or some of them think it's okay to touch an elder's head, but for us, that's a big no no and sinful!

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
Mahalo said:
Yeah. Like how Americans expect other people to speak English in their own country. Lol

Well, most of the people who make it overseas are rich enough to afford it, so they're a bit spoiled themselves. So they expect or want things to be a certain way. Lol

AikOm^_^

aiyaja said:
I want to live in Japan and visit Thailand sometimes. Lol

Haha, same here, Aiyaja! I'm also interested in Britain.

Mahalo said:
That's why I put the word "right" in quotes because it's subjective. Not everyone's perception is correct. Haha. Sometimes, what we think is right or okay isn't quite appropriate in other cultures. For example, many ethnicity think it's okay to wear shoes in the house when Asians think it's rude. Lol. Or some of them think it's okay to touch an elder's head, but for us, that's a big no no and sinful!

Did I just use the word "conception" incorrectly? Whoops. :smack: :blush: My brain hurts. Haha, funny examples! Hehe, I remember taking off my shoes when going inside non-Asian houses.

aiyaja said:
Yeah. Like how Americans expect other people to speak English in their own country. Lol

Well, most of the people who make it overseas are rich enough to afford it, so they're a bit spoiled themselves. So they expect or want things to be a certain way. Lol

Exactly.

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
I actually think our laws are too lenient. Yes, I like the whole innocent until proven guilty which can take forever but people take advantage of the laws.

AikOm^_^

aiyaja said:
I actually think our laws are too lenient. Yes, I like the whole innocent until proven guilty which can take forever but people take advantage of the laws.

I like it, too, but for sure, people bend it to their advantages. And sometimes the guilty gets away while the innocent has to pay.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
aiyaja said:
Yesss! So many people abuse their rights such as the right to bear arms -_- Nothing can be perfect though or else the world would be a utopia, which is impossible. I think we've tried our best to be fair though compared to other countries who still don't let their citizens vote. 

Maiko^_^ said:

Haha, same here, Aiyaja! I'm also interested in Britain.

Did I just use the word "conception" incorrectly? Whoops. :smack: :blush: My brain hurts. Haha, funny examples! Hehe, I remember taking off my shoes when going inside non-Asian houses.

Exactly.
I did that too and the person was like you don't have to take them off. Lol. I just think it's more sanitary as well.

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
So all in all, I think the scenario of Mai being locked up until the guy's parents drop the charges make sense. The laws are different there.

After watching it more thoroughly, it's okay so far. Haha.

songielove

sarNie Juvenile
@mahalo @aiyaja That is so cruel, but it isn't the first I've heard, and it's common in Asia. Sadly, most of the time it's just too costly, painful, and takes too long for the "victim" (because we don't know who is the real victim) to wait for trial that they'd rather settle out of court. It's very, very common. And it would cost less money, time, burden, face, etc. for both parties as well, so I do see why they choose to do that. Which is really sad because that's just... not justice in my eyes at all. But in Asian society, one must not do anything that may possibly bring shame to you and your family, and that explains the lack of witnesses coming forth and people not getting involved in a fight between a couple. I think it's something to be grateful for if you are Asian American (or Asian and western nationality) because you see the gains and losses in both east and west societies based on one case study alone. :/ Sadly, the easiest and fastest way to relieve Mai and his family from hardship and public negativity is settling without trial.. which is hard for some of us to accept, but for them, it's the only way out. He'd still be in jail for longer otherwise.

By the way, it is serious @mahalo! It's beneficial to you when you can watch a lakorn and come out having learned and knowing more than what you already did before going in. That's exciting. I don't know about you, but it makes me feel productive as a viewer. XD

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Thanks Aiyaja. I learned something new today. I had my American thinking cap on. Never knew something so ridiculous existed. I'm definitely grateful to be very privileged. 

AikOm^_^

Mahalo said:
Yesss! So many people abuse their rights such as the right to bear arms -_- Nothing can be perfect though or else the world would be a utopia, which is impossible. I think we've tried our best to be fair though compared to other countries who still don't let their citizens vote. 

I did that too and the person was like you don't have to take them off. Lol. I just think it's more sanitary as well.

That was the exact same thing they said to me. :loool:

aiyaja said:
So all in all, I think the scenario of Mai being locked up until the guy's parents drop the charges make sense. The laws are different there.

After watching it more thoroughly, it's okay so far. Haha.

Hehe, that situation caused us to go into a page and a half discussion on laws and other things.

songielove said:
@mahalo @aiyaja That is so cruel, but it isn't the first I've heard, and it's common in Asia. Sadly, most of the time it's just too costly, painful, and takes too long for the "victim" (because we don't know who is the real victim) to wait for trial that they'd rather settle out of court. It's very, very common. And it would cost less money, time, burden, face, etc. for the both parties as well, so I do see why they choose to do that. Which is really sad because that's just... not justice in my eyes at all. But in Asian society, one must not do anything that may possibly bring shame to you and your family, and that explains the lack of witnesses coming forth and people not getting involved in a fight between a couple. I think it's something to be grateful for if you are Asian American because you see the gains and losses in both east and west societies based on one case study alone. :/ Sadly, the easiest and fastest way to relieve Mai and his family from hardshil and public negativity is settling without trial.. which is hard for some of us to accept, but for them, it's the only way out. He'd still be in jail for longer otherwise.

Aw, I know, Songie... :teary:

Mahalo said:
Thanks Aiyaja. I learned something new today. I had my American thinking cap on. Never knew something so ridiculous existed. I'm definitely grateful to be very privileged. 

Thanks to you, too, Mahalo! Haha, I learned a lot of things. :worthy: :clap:

aiyaja

sarNie OldFart
Living overseas is fantastic if you're rich. You won't run into the reality that lies beneath the luxury. America isn't perfect. We have homeless too but at least there are programs that can really change lives IF they want to change. It takes two to make it work.

AikOm^_^

aiyaja said:
Living overseas is fantastic if you're rich. You won't run into the reality that lies beneath the luxury. America isn't perfect. We have homeless too but at least there are programs that can really change lives IF they want to change. It takes two to make it work.

No, America isn't perfect. And aw, yes, it does take two to make it work. :)

songielove

sarNie Juvenile
LOL, I am so late. Sorry, didn't realize our discussion on laws were over. I need to think and type faster! XD

Kind of OT..
To be honest, I lived in Thailand for a little over a month. I say "live" as opposed to "vacationed" because I did really try to live as a local. One night, my neighbors were arguing outside our condo. If it was here at home in California, I'd do something about it. But it wasn't (...and well, my dad wouldn't let me. Plus, calling the cops was out of the question-- bangkok traffic sucks). It's not all happy and pretty like what we see in lakorns and brochures. You really can't just barge into another country and start living your life the way you do here at home, and especially the American way lol. I don't think much foreigners get to see the ugly side, but it's everywhere in the world. We have to respect their laws, but also hold our ground at the same time. Not all sunshine. :/

AikOm^_^

songielove said:
LOL, I am so late. Sorry, didn't realize our discussion on laws were over. I need to think and type faster! XD

Kind of OT..
To be honest, I lived in Thailand for a little over a month. I say "live" as opposed to "vacationed" because I did really try to live as a local. One night, my neighbors were arguing outside our condo. If it was here at home in California, I'd do something about it. But it wasn't (...and well, my dad wouldn't let me. Plus, calling the cops was out of the question-- bangkok traffic sucks). It's not all happy and pretty like what we see in lakorns. You really can't just barge into another country and start living your life the way you do here at home, and especially the American way lol. I don't think much foreigners get to see the ugly side, but it's everywhere in the world. We have to respect their laws, but also hold our ground at the same time. Not all sunshine. :/

Hey, we're still here to listen, Songie! Aw, thanks for sharing your experience! Sounds like it was just a small argument? Nobody got hurt? Yes, it's not all just rainbows in every country. Once again, thanks for sharing, Songie! :grouphug:

My eyes are falling asleep here. That all-nighter is catching up to me. :yawn: Great, no more free time until Sunday. All right, have :goodnite: or awesome day, everyone! :grouphug: :heart: :kiss:

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
Woah. This thread moved so fast.

Awe it makes me scared to live elsewhere. Yeah the whole Mai situation with the gangsters puzzled me. It's pretty scary.