[NTV] Death Note

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Death Note is a popular manga and anime franchise that has also been made into 3 live adaptation films as well as musicals.  This will be the first time that it is turned into a drama.

credit: NTV

Yagami Light, (Kubota Masataka), is an ordinary university student. One day, he receives a death note which changes his life. The death note awakens his warped sense of justice and genius. He becomes murderer Kira and punishes criminals.
L, (Yamazaki Kento), is a well known private detective. L appears in front of Light. L defines Kira as evil and decides to catch Kira. Then N (Yuki Mio), who has a beautiful appearance but dangerous existence, appears.
credit: D-Addict

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I'm a big fan of the Death Note franchise... and I must admit that though Kenichi Matsuyama won't be in here as "L" ... I am really excited to see Yamazaki Kento portray L.  I think he's a good rising actor, basing it off of his past works.  I've been keeping an eye on him and he definitely grows and improve. :) 

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Oh crap... I just did some research and found out that there's going to be a lot of tweaking... A LOT!!! Oh man... I don't know if I'll be able to handle it... yikes!  It's just not possible... it won't even be Death Note anymore!!! Stop it please!!!!

Death Note drama previously announced its main cast for the roles of Yagami Light, L and N (Near). The drama version will adopt changes in the characters and story. Light will be an ordinary university student, different from the genius character in the manga and movie. He has no special talents or ambitions and will become a dark hero after getting the Death Note. L’s eccentricities, such as his eating habits will be removed. He becomes a character who is hard to approach, a rationalist whote hates doing any unnecessary things.
credit: aramajapan

I don't like these changes one bit.  Nope, nada.. not interested. Sigh... They're both supposed to be geniouses... Like what the heck... NOOOOO!!!  And you can not just take out L's characteristic traits... NO!!!  Give the character his sweets!

ImQueen

sarNie Adult
So it's finally in the drama-making phase. I agree @aikoden about L; without his love for sweets he's not L anymore. It sucks because I loved L in the movies and in manga! Like, he's so kiddish looking, but he also has that intelligent looks as well. He is smart. The only thing I found pleasant is that the new L is quite handsome! LOL.

tgamber

sarNie Adult
No, you can't take away L's excessive intake of sugar and his doing everything with just thumb and index finger. And his genius moves and psychological war with Light(Kira).

ImQueen

sarNie Adult
Right! I don't feel like I will tune in this one. L's my favorite character so it kind of sucks knowing his characteristics will change so much.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Supposedly, N might be a "female" character in this drama version... but I just have the feeling that the character will still be a male, but he's just portrayed by the japanese actress.... so meaning she's acting as a guy in here. 

If they're changing L this much, they should not kill him off then.... sigh.  But we know for a fact that N will be in here.. and if N is in here.. for sure L will meet his death :(  Goodness... oh what to do.. what to do...

I'm still anticipating for this drama somewhat though.. just don't change to too much please.  I'm curious about the cgi effect they'll use for Ryuk and the other shinigami... :)

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Whoop whoop, just saw the first episode and... Seeing the changes so far... Irks me a bit.

I don't find Light's character to be "cool" here like the original... Since he is a bit whiny and weak..

I have to admit that I was super waiting for L to appear and thank goodness he did. He's no longer the thumbsucking or candy loving L we know but now a juice/sauce/drinking L who snacks on crackers?.. And is a neat freak. : .

And bum bum bum.... I did not expect to see a certain character so soon too at the end.

Anyways, seeing the cast portraying the roles... I tried to give them a chance but.. It's not up to par for my liking yet... I have a bias for Yamazaki but even I don't have the complete L character to overwhelm me with yet. It's really hard to see someone else as L if you're used to Kenichi :p but Yamazaki is looking the part most though, out of all the other characters.

Ryuk is a CGI, looking similar like in the past films.

Anyways, I'm sort of looking forward for the rest of the show, despite having some mixed feelings-ish. Can't be helped :p