[ NEWS ] Actress Ahney Her of Gran Torino

mystik_woman

sarNie Egg
Gran Torino actress Ahney Her returns to Michigan for opening night
by Rachael Recker | The Grand Rapids Press
Friday January 09, 2009, 10:17 PM

GRAND RAPIDS - Someone in Theater One at Celebration! Cinemas North thought Ahney Her should get an award.

He made sure she knew by shouting as much to her as she stood on the theater's stage Friday night.

Someone else wanted to make sure she was paid well. Was she, he asked?

"Yes, I was," she said, laughing.

Others just wanted to congratulate the supporting actress in Clint Eastwood's new film, "Gran Torino," which opened Friday and was filmed entirely in Detroit for a month this past summer.

"Very good," said one to Her.

"You did a good job," said another.

"I wanted to get her autograph or something," said one woman, as Her passed through the audience to the silver screen to take questions from a capacity crowd inside Celebration's largest theater.

The 16-year-old actress, who was born-and-raised Lansing, was in town to watch, for the fourth time, the film in which she starred alongside Eastwood and to answer questions following the showing.

It was her first film, let alone her first major film, and Her took it all in with ease.

"No, it's not weird. It feels very normal. It's just people being curious, and I'm just answering questions," she said earlier in the day during a Press interview.

The Theater One audience clapped and cheered enthusiastically for the film about an aged and anachronistic Korean War veteran who befriends a close-knit Hmong family and, in the process, grapples with a changing world, stereotypes, irony and the burdens of life.

As Her and her fellow Asian cast members were all of the Hmong community, they all helped Eastwood create an authentic portrayal of the ethnic group, such as advising on the decor in the set house, she said.

Her added that her first meeting with Eastwood was on set the first day.

"He just greeted me like meeting a new friend," she said.

"He's a very humble guy, and the way he directs is very smooth. On set, everything is always calm. You know, there's nothing scary about it, nothing intimidating about it," she said.

Her got the part after auditioning at an open call sign-up at a soccer tournament.

"I didn't believe it, 'cause the tent said, you know, 'Clint Eastwood movie' or something like that, 'Hmong people needed.' And I'm like, 'OK, yeah right. Like this would happen.' Out of all people, Hmong people? No."

Eastwood gave some advice to the new actress, she said. One piece of advice, which was the first he bestowed, stuck.

"He said, 'Do what you have to do and just be yourself.' And yeah, it helped me a lot throughout the whole filming," she said.

The result was a success for former State Rep. Bill Huizenga (Rep.-Zeeland, 90th District), who was in the audience with his wife to see the film and Her.

Huizenga helped author and coordinate the state's film incentive package and was pleased with the first major film to utilize it.

"Very satisfied," were Huizenga's first words.

His wife, Natalie, had "mixed emotions throughout with the racial slurs," she said.

"I was trying not to be offended, but it came full-circle," she said of the "wonderful storyline."

Credited Source: MLive.com

red_handed

sarNie Egg
WHAT KIND OF SHIT WAS THAT?
THAT WAS NOT AN AUTHENTIC PORTRAYAL OF HMONG PEOPLE
HMONG PEOPLE IS NOT ALL ABOUT GANGS AND RAPE

mystik_woman

sarNie Egg
WHAT KIND OF SHIT WAS THAT?
THAT WAS NOT AN AUTHENTIC PORTRAYAL OF HMONG PEOPLE
HMONG PEOPLE IS NOT ALL ABOUT GANGS AND RAPE

hey...its not so fair to portray us HMONG like this...but we live in the world of opportunities...were talking about the truth here...Hmong Gangs and Rape does happens in the Hmong Community so what is so good to hide it from the outside world. It happens all the times. Us hmong need to be more open up to the society in order to succeed. We have hmong gangs...hmong rape cases...so does any other race has it too so why so afraid to the the truth come out so we can become successful.

Mae

sarNie Adult
Nowhere near authentic...however, the gang part is a sad truth, but is reality...so many Hmong kids in gangs...although, i think it was more prevalent in the 90s and has faded a bit nowadays!

mystik_woman

sarNie Egg
i believe Ahney Her can do it. Her acting is good. I admire her for a next role on the next set of movie. Bee Vang looks different in the movie, but on the premiere night with the Access Hollywood interview, oh god...he is cute and his smile really attracting, but they are so young.

red_handed

sarNie Egg
HER ACTING STILL NEEDS IMPROVEMENT
SHE NEEDS TO WORK ON HOW HER WORDS COME OUT
IT DOESN'T EVEN SOUND NATURAL AT ALL
"YOU GUYS ARE STUPID"
"I''M GOING INSIDE"
STRAAAAAAAAAIGT VOICE.

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
I thought they did good, considering this is their first film. I think the portrayal part is not about gangs or rape. I think she's talking about the culture.

I finally saw the movie last night and I think everyone should see it. There's a lot we could learn from the movie. Seriously, set aside the idea that they're not portraying us correctly. So then, how are they suppose to portray Hmong huh? A group of peaceful people...no violence, basically all good things. Is gang and rape not present in the Hmong community? A lot of my American friends saw the movie and they loved it. They all mentioned that they learn something from it. If anything, Walter's family was portray negatively. The film did show how Hmong people have gatherings...families...obstacles...friendship...values...not just gang and rape.

dajdeev

sarNie Juvenile
Thank you so much and finally someone said this and yep, this is what i'm talking about and it not a bad movie at all and it all goods and i give it 4 in a half stars

I thought they did good, considering this is their first film. I think the portrayal part is not about gangs or rape. I think she's talking about the culture.

I finally saw the movie last night and I think everyone should see it. There's a lot we could learn from the movie. Seriously, set aside the idea that they're not portraying us correctly. So then, how are they suppose to portray Hmong huh? A group of peaceful people...no violence, basically all good things. Is gang and rape not present in the Hmong community? A lot of my American friends saw the movie and they loved it. They all mentioned that they learn something from it. If anything, Walter's family was portray negatively. The film did show how Hmong people have gatherings...families...obstacles...friendship...values...not just gang and rape.