My Job - Your Job

Kina

Dubsteppin'
Tomorrow will be my first job in months, and I'll be doing data entry at a bank. I was wondering if anyone has ever worked as one or something similar to it? I want to know how the job is, especially for a beginner and a student as me. I am so nervous because I have never worked in an office, and ethics are really important when working in the office environment. I don't even have that much professional attire, so I am scared people might judge me for the wrong clothes I wear. And because I have never worked data entry before, I am scared that I might input false information by accident. As appealing as an office job sounds, I am quite fearful of losing it because I truly need the money for college tuition.

Sorry, you guys. I just needed to vent my nervousness online. Wish me luck.

I am sure some or most of you work or have worked before. Do tell us your job stories. Any dramas? Embarassing moments? Any crushes on co-workers? Tell us how you felt prior to working there the first day.

:)

LidoLynn

ThE GrEaT gReAt LyNn!!
wow....u lucky....haha....

i was gonna say where i work but now ....i cant compare...so im not going to say...=\...but yeah, where i work...theres drama drama drama...haha

noungning

Heartless
hey i used to work at the bank. data entry sorta, good money for a part time job. don't be stressed, when u're new u have time for error, but just pick up the details of things. gosh work is the definition of drama lol.

st_nba

sarNie Juvenile
I haven't worked in awhile too. I use to be a data entry clerk and transcriptionist for the University. of Penn. I think you have nothing to worry about. It shouldn't be to hard. Don't stress yourself too much because everybody will make mistakes their first time. Of course, you have to pick up on the thing they tell you. I loved working in an office, I just hated answering the phones. Not that the people who called were rude or anything. I'd usually always transfer the call to the wrong person and don't realize it until after I do it.

I have only worked in an office setting. I like it because I'm not much of a customer person. I tried helping my aunt's friend in her Donut shop once and I almost died. I hadn't realize there was so many rude people (customers) out there. You'll enjoy the office setting. It's relaxed, but you might find it a little boring. :unsure:

Congrats on finding yourself a job. I need to stop mooching off my parents and get one soon. I really need the money.

iamnowhere

sarNie Adult
i didn't know you have to dress up for data entry. don't they lock you up in some cubicles for like 8 hours a day or so???

You'll be great at 10 key after this..hehehe

i work 8 month in an office but it's not a bank, it's bigger than this because it's International Enterprise, i don't khnow if it can help u but the first day and the first month it's really important because that's the time they take to watch u and judge u. it can be about ur clothes or ur work because office it's not a fast food. u always have to wear clothes make u more serious, no jean, no t-shirt, no sportswear,and no snaker. just suit or something like that. Because no one don't tell u anything just content to judge u and they will kick u behind. i think u have always smile and ur boss wil appreciate that. It's my advice and don't khnow if it can help u but for me it work and when i done my 8 monrh they purpose me to be manager but i don't like this job an i prefer leave it.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
amira: hey, nice start chica. i'm not much of an office kinda person, so i couldn't ever really work that kind of work. i'm more manual; i prefer to do things with my hands...but it gets laborous of course.

but that's cool...u'll be in an AC room, that's for sure :)

knightluva

sarNie Hatchling
i've been working in an office environment. Data entry is easy. All you need is a good typing skills and you'll be fine. Data entry is not too professional where you need to be dress up in suits. Just business casual like no jeans, sneakers, hats, t-shirts. Khaki is ok too. Relax and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Once you get the hang of it, you will find Data Entry is a boring position. You'll be typing every single day and hopefully the rest of your working days won't be repetitive.

Good Luck!!!

kumpangxruk

sarNie Adult
data entry is a good start for a student. i sort of did that thing...customer service. i'm still doing it while in college. it gets boring after a while but the pay is good for a student! good luck with the job! ^_^

i've made plenty of errors too but after a while u'll be a pro! hehe

sandyc

sarNie Juvenile
Amira said:
Tomorrow will be my first job in months, and I'll be doing data entry at a bank. I was wondering if anyone has ever worked as one or something similar to it? I want to know how the job is, especially for a beginner and a student as me. I am so nervous because I have never worked in an office, and ethics are really important when working in the office environment. I don't even have that much professional attire, so I am scared people might judge me for the wrong clothes I wear. And because I have never worked data entry before, I am scared that I might input false information by accident. As appealing as an office job sounds, I am quite fearful of losing it because I truly need the money for college tuition.

Sorry, you guys. I just needed to vent my nervousness online. Wish me luck.

I am sure some or most of you work or have worked before. Do tell us your job stories. Any dramas? Embarassing moments? Any crushes on co-workers? Tell us how you felt prior to working there the first day.

:)
[post="114183"][/post]​
I can relate...Kind of....

I work at a child development center.... and i'm in the office half of the time anf the other half i'm out visiting the day care centers...i get to meet alot of new people and play with the kids...but the thing is that we have to dress professionally...i got warned like about...so many time...that i've lost count...I'm only 19 and is the youngest that is working the office and is hold a high position...so i understand where their coming from...but anyways...out of the time they warned me....i'm still dressing the same...jeans and t-shirts...because the people i visit never complained about it...but..since your starting at a bank you might need to have some porfessional attire because people are going in and out the bank all the time..also it depends on the people....sometime they judge and sometime they don't...i don't think you need to dress professional all the time...unless your working at a major branch....but anyways....hope this little stupid story of me help a little...but... good luck....and try not to think about it too much...relax..and you'll do great....=D

Kina

Dubsteppin'
wow, thanks you guys. well, i started on friday. today is saturday. it was...okay. actually, i thought i was doing data entry, but the things i did had nothing to do with data entry at all. i was basically filing some legal papers. MAN! they have fat folders with insurance informations from their clients. fat fat fat folders! ugh....it was a pain having to sort through piles of legal papers just to set the most recent one on top and the rest beneath it can be as unorderly as it can lol. i liked it, though. But it got boring....i just sat there...sorting papers...thats it. just sat and sort lol. ALL DAY for 8 or 9 hours...omg. but my trainer was so sweet and nice. i thought she would be mean because i had on a scarf and didnt think that a redneck lookin person like her would like a muslim scarf wearing person like me lol. anyway...i like my job but unfortunately, it is only temporary. i think its only for a month. sigh* that means more extensive job hunting after this month. oh gosh.....

tye-niranh

sarNie Adult
I've worked in an office environment for almost three years now. First job right out of college. I absolutely love the office environment and office hours. I work 8-5, Monday - Friday. These hours are perfect because I get my weekends off and I don't get off work too late so I still have time to do stuff, like cook, clean, watch TV, get on sarNworld, get on myspace, etc. Anywho, don't worry about making mistakes. Everyone does it. Just try not to repeat them. As long as you learn from your mistakes, every employer is willing to forgive. Working in an office environment will look good on your resume too. This will definitely help later in the future when you are ready to start your career. Have fun with it.

noungning

Heartless
oh gosh, they would never want to offend you amira! are u crazy?!?! that means u will get big bucks from suing their stupid A for being stupid lol... um ne ways good that u like sorting and filing. i need a secretary to file my papers lol it took me 2 full days of work to finish filing one of the stack! i have one more left and do not want to even start gosh! so i guess it's gonna get bigger and take more time to file lol. :lol:

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
I was training to be a waitress at this good ass sushi restuarant .. =*( unfortunately the waitress that wanted to quit came back .. so I'm left jobless again =*(

anjos

KawaiiTennyo said:
I was training to be a waitress at this good ass sushi restuarant .. =*( unfortunately the waitress that wanted to quit came back .. so I'm left jobless again =*(
[post="116900"][/post]​

hey!!! my sister in law work in a sushi restuarant too... but they paid her too tilttle so she quite.......

dfemc

sarNie Adult
KawaiiTennyo said:
[post="116900"][/post]​
do u know how to cook sushi? could u give me some tips?

noungning

Heartless
hey all my friends and cousins works in a jap restaurant. sushi and habachi. good stuff and cool discounts lol.

st_nba

sarNie Juvenile
Amira...I forgot to tell you.

When you work in a office setting, especially if you're a student worker. You usually file lots and lots of thing when there is nothing for you to do. I hate filing it is the worst. My main duty at my old work place was data entry also, but when there is nothing to do, they just give you piles and piles of paper to sort out and file.

Like if you knew where everything is suppose to go then fine, but I always make one pile for this and that and then like something else comes up and you have no idea where it really goes...you have to make a hanging folder and label for it. you are on your knees the whole time. :( One time it took me and 4 girls nearly 2weeks to file boxes and boxes of paperwork at my workplace. Filing sucks big time.

I do floral arrangements on the side now, just whenever I'm needed and I love it. Worked 13 hours yesterday. Today might be even longer because of the last minute Mother's Day rush.

noungning

Heartless
lol i really need an intern to help me file tho!! i'm so behind with one of my filing stacks it's getting really high!