Memories for Tomorrow

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
We’re never going to be ready for anything in life. We just have to go into it believing that in the end, we’ve made the right decision and that we’ll be rewarded; or maybe we’ll realize bitterly that we didn’t achieve what we want. Whichever it is, as long as we make the most of our efforts and love those around us, we can make memories to look back on…and everything will be okay.

Chapter 1

“Excuse me, do you need help getting around? I can help you out,” the cute blond guy spoke with enunciated words.

Mai smiled back pleasantly and replied, “No thank you, I think I got this.”

He raised his brow in surprise at her flawless English, having thought she was an international student who needed assistance finding her way around. Not surprising, considering she had indeed been scanning around the area and periodically glancing back at her class schedule and campus map; it didn’t help either that she had received a golden tan and allowed her hair to fade back to its natural color of black, bringing out the Thai features from her mother. She waved to him and turned towards the sidewalk, now having confirmed where her Biology class was being held. Mai tossed her long curtain of hair over her shoulder and looked up when she heard giggling and saw her two friends, Yaya and Kim making their way towards her, shaking with laughter after witnessing the small scene between her and the white guy.

Rolling her eyes, Mai said, “Dang, do they all think that we Asians can’t speak English?”

“That’s what you get for spending your summer in Thailand instead of here with us,” Yaya replied. “You’re so much darker now, no wonder people are mistaking you for a foreign exchange student.”

“You’re just jealous.”

Yaya pouted, “I know. I so wanted to go with you.”

Grinning, Mai hugged her. “There’s always next time.” Mai had traveled back to her mom’s home town where she had actually lived from the ages of eight to fourteen before returning to the United States and beginning her high school education. There, she had met and became best friends with Yaya and Kim. The girls did everything together, went everywhere together and spent so much time with each other that they were often mistaken as sisters. They had even scouted out colleges together and in the end, had all coincidentally picked the same place, Lawrence University, a top Midwest school which was just an hour away from their home town.

“That reminds me,” Kim said, munching on her muffin, “You didn’t tell us yet. Did you get to meet your friend that you were looking for in Thailand?”

“Unfortunately no. My aunt says that he moved to a different province two years ago.” That had put a slight damper on her spirits over the summer, having anticipated meeting her childhood friend again for the first time in five years. But she still enjoyed all the days spent in the gorgeous garden house that her grandparents owned. How she wished she could spend every day of her life just reading a book beside that glistening river that the house was built upon, or rowing the little boat to pick lotuses. Then again, Mai was just as excited to start her new year of school as a college student, as a growing adult who would finally be able to make a place for herself in the world. And what better way than with her best friends on this sunny campus of Lawrence University in western Wisconsin.

“Well I’m sure we’ll meet plenty of hot college guys here, so no worries.”

“Let’s head back soon. P’Ploy said there was a welcome dinner tonight,” Yaya said, checking her bright pink watch that matched her cloth head band holding her hair from a small face with sharp features and big eyes.

“It’s so hot. And just watch, soon the weather will act up and get all weird. Typical midwest,” Kim shook her head. “Come on, I wanna get ready so I look nice for the dinner.”

“Is this your way of getting over James?” Mai quirked her brow.

“Psh, I got over him the day we broke up,” Kim held up her hand.

They continued talking about high school, college and other random topics while reaching their residence building, Clark Hall. While picking the dorms, Mai and Kim had wanted to go for a coed floors dorm, but Yaya had insisted they stick to an all girls dorm. In the end, the girls compromised, going with Clark, which had four levels of dorms above the first floor, the first two reserved for girls and the top two for boys. And while Mai, Yaya and Kim had requested to be on the same floor, Kim was paired with a student from abroad, having been braver than the other two to room with a stranger.

In the early morning on this Friday, the girls and their families had arrived for move-in day, settling in with all their new college gear, carrying cases of clothes up the stairs and thanking the heavens they all only lived on the third floor since they had only had a few short flights to climb instead of waiting in line for the elevators. They had also met many of the residents on their floors, one being Min Peechaya, Kim’s roommate, a second year student, who seemed pretty cool.

“I got a glance of the fourth floor CA while we were moving in and damn, he’s cute,” Kim smirked. “He’s Thai too.”

“Cool. What’s his name?” Yaya asked.

“Dunno, but I’ll find out soon.”

“Shouldn’t you be getting all your stuff put away instead of worrying about hot CAs? I’m sure Min will be asking for a new roomie by the time she figures out how big of a slob you are,” Mai and Yaya laughed teasingly.

“Please, I’ve only spent an hour with Min and I already know she’s going to love me.”

They entered Clark and were greeted by their orientation leader Casey, a third year student from the Spain. “Hi girls! Don’t forget that we’re going over to Yulli for the freshmen welcome dinner. Do not forget your keys and id’s since we might get back after eight and the doors will be locked. Meet you all down here at five.”

“Thanks Casey,” they said.

Rounding to go up the stairs, they nearly ran into another trio.

“They wanted me looking out for traffic, but I was like, yeah right, I’m going to meet all my residents,” Om said to Weir and Great. Om was referring to the boarders on the fourth floor whom he would be in charge of looking after, in a sense, being a Community Advisor of Clark Hall this year.

“Shoot, your life is going to suck this year,” Great snorted. “I hear CAs have to deal with the craziest shit. I mean, yeah, you get free housing and board, but is it worth having to listen to all the whining and getting in between disputes?”

“You get all the necessary training, so there’s nothing to worry about,” Weir commented, seeing Om’s face wince a little, but relax when he heard this reassurance. “But he’s right, your life’s going to suck,” Weir sniggered, “I was a CA last year before I decided I needed to focus on accounting club and getting my business internship.”

Om let out a noisy sigh before halting when he nearly descended the steps and ran into some people.

“Geez Om, watch where you’re going,” Great chided. “Set a better example for the pretty underclassmen.” He offered his signature bright grin that always succeeded in melting the hearts of the recipients.

Kim, Yaya, and Mai glanced at each other in amusement.

In his natural mature manner, Weir introduced them. “Hey there. I’m Weir, this is Great and Om. Welcome to Lawrence. So have you all moved in alright?”

They nodded in reply. Kim took the lead and said, “Nice to meet you guys. I’m Kim, this is Yaya, and that’s Mai. You’re all Thai too right?”

Great snapped his fingers. “Aha! I suspected you girls were too, but wasn’t too sure since you look a bit…”

“Caucasian?” Kim chuckled. “I’m half German.”

“Half Norwegian,” Yaya raised her hand shyly.

“Uh, and that mute one is half Belgian,” Kim answered for Mai, who quickly lowered her eyes when she realized they were looking at her.

“Heh, hi!” She sneaked a peek at the one named Weir as the light conversation continued with Great asking about their mixed ethnicities.

Yes, Mai thought to herself, it’s really him. When she had toured St. Lawrence the fall before, she’d gotten separated from her tour group after making a stop by the bathrooms without telling her mom or the tour guide.

Coming out of the bathroom and realizing she was missing her tour group, Mai had started to tense up and panic since the building they were in seemed so big and maze-like with a bunch of older students walking around with such purpose while she felt so out of place, and of course, too embarrassed to ask for help. After finding a map and pretending to look like she knew exactly what she was looking at, Mai also realized she didn’t even remember the name of the building she was in.
And then,

“Hi, do you need help finding someone?”

Mai had peered up at a guy whom she could tell was an older college student, dressed in his casual yet somehow mature clothes and wearing a genuinely nice smile. She thought to herself, wow, he has such cute eyes. “Um…this is really embarrassing but…what’s the name of this building?”

“Yulli Center,” he replied, pronouncing it as “YOO LEE,” pointing down the hall where there was a desk with the words “Yulli Information Desk” above it.

“Oh.” She winced with an embarrassed smile.

“Are you one of the students touring the place?”

Her eyes widened, “How can you tell?” she asked before realizing how obvious it was.

He chuckled. “You just seemed kind of lost. It’s a familiar sight once you’ve been a tour guide and notice the anxiety on future students.”

“Oh, so you’re a tour guide too?” she asked hopefully.

“Yep. I’m actually not for today, but I know the other people who are and can get a hold of them for you.”

“Thank you so much,” she raised her shoulders sheepishly. Way to make a first impression as the dorky potential freshman.

“No problem. You’ll always be looked after here in Lawrence Uni.” He laughed softly and she liked the way his eyes curved in merriment. “Sorry, totally advertising for my school.” He put his cell phone to his ear and they waited until he reached through to someone. “Hey Eddy, this is Weir; I found one of your students here in Yulli…yep…no problem.”

She glanced at him shyly. He checked his watch and said, “Eddy’s coming back here with the group. He said we should wait at the stairs for him.”

“Oh no, you don’t have to do that, I can wait by myself. You probably have classes to get to or something important.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, you’ve helped me plenty already,” Mai smiled back. “Thank you.”

“Alright, then. Have fun today and I hope you like Lawrence.”

As he smiled one last time over his shoulder and walked away, Mai felt the corner of her lips lift up. “I think I already do…”

“We’ve volunteered to help out during the dinner, so we’ll see you during the freshmen welcome dinner right? If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask, and especially go head and test Om here, who happens to be one of your CAs.” Great nudged Om when Om didn’t answer.

Om had been struck silent when his eyes landed on the quiet girl in the back, the tall one with a round face. She was…very pretty. MORE than that apparently, seeing as his heart had suddenly beat loud enough to make him miss the introductions, yet able to catch her friend point her out as “Mai” and when she greeted with a simple “hi” his heart accelerated. He felt Great elbow his side sharply.

“Dude?”

“Uh,” Om stammered, still unable to take his eyes off of her as her long-lashed eyes peered up at him curiously. Stop making yourself look like a creep! “Yeah, I’m a CA here. Akapan…I mean, Om, you can call me Om.”

“You’re on the fourth floor right?” Kim asked. She glanced back at the other two with ‘told you so’ eyes as they gave slight nods back, since Om sure was good-looking, along with the other two guys.

“Right,” he replied shortly, feeling his ears warm up. “So…”

Weir said, “We’ll see you girls around then. We’re in charge of setting a few things up in the ball room where the dinner will be held.”

“See you in a bit!” the girls waved and made their way up the stairs.

Om caught Mai give one more glance back down at them.

“Okay, which one is it?” he heard Great say.

“Hm? Wha—what are you talking about?”

“Tch,” Great shook his head as they walked while Weir had started talking to another friend who had joined them. “I know one of them caught your interest. Just wasn’t fast enough to see which one. So? Who do you have your eyes on?”
Trying to avoid the subject, Om rolled his eyes to his right, “Uh…no one. They seem like cool people but, I dunno…”

“Ugh, whatever. It’ll get out sooner or later,” Great shrugged, to Om’s unease. “That Kim was pretty cute though. I mean, they’re all cute, but I like how she seems real open and easy to talk to.”

“Okay, go for it,” Om said. He suddenly wasn't so worried about being a CA as much as he was about the way his stomach fluttered thinking of that girl.

Author's note------
I finally decided to put this story up. I don't know how far I'm going to take it...Bear in mind though, it was started and sketched out in 2010 when my Thai lakorn love resurged after watching 4HJHKK, and I've kept the time line the same (the opening is when the freshmen start in 2010 rather than 2012 and this is for the sake of being able to work in small real-life details). This has so many people and I intend to give each couple their spotlight, but some of the couples will start out slow, and some main characters have yet to show up. I
This is JJINXX’s largest cast! Can she handle it, including the love and friendships to be formed? Especially since all of these people are going to be in…COLLEGE…in the US!

=P

List of characters as of Fall 2010 Semester:

Freshmen:
Mai
Yaya
Kim
Nadech
Mario
Taew
Beau
Mark
Margie

Sophomores:
Om
Great
Pope
Min

Juniors:
Aum
Ploy
Weir

Seniors:
Rome

TubbyTinker

You're Average Person :)
awwwwwww......I love this so far! and OMG! idk why but I was cheesing how you described Om looking at Mai...I can so imagine it! Hopefully they get together right? lol I so wanna see Mai and Om in a cute romantic lakorn tho

I wonder who gets w/ who tho hahahah

shengvang

sarNie Adult
JJINXX'S YOU ARE BACK!!! This is really interesting ja. I'm already hooked to it. Having so much questions in my head, but i will continue to stay tune and hopefully all of my questions will be answer! Glad to see you back na! :)

jjinxx

Chapter 2

“Oh my god, you were so right!” Yaya said as she unlocked hers and Mai’s dorm room. “Om is so cute!”

“Right? But I think…Great is hotter.” Kim tapped her chin, her brown eyes twinkling.

“Mai, is this your box or mine?” Yaya turned one of the boxes on the floor around. “Oops totally mine. Oh, I don’t know where to start…”

“I’m putting my clothes in the closet first,” Mai said, and began folding her clothes, knowing well that by the end of next week all of the clothes would be unfolded and piled up…But she gave herself credit for trying to keep up with it.

“Ooooh, pretty! When did you get this?” Kim held up a blue tunic.

“Months ago at Wet Seal. I haven’t worn it ever though,” Mai took some hangers and hung clothes on them.

“Can I borrow it for the first day of class?”

“Yeah.” Mai sneezed. “I hate being so sensitive to dust.” She sneezed two more times and threw the shirt she held on the bed. “Screw this,” she groaned.

“Come on, let’s just get it done,” Yaya encouraged, always the one to push for completion of a task. Their beds were already made and there was just the matter of setting up their work space and organizing their closets. “I think I’ll…color-coordinate my closet. Or should I group different clothes together, like shorts with shorts and dresses with dresses?” She looked over at Mai, who was simply hanging clothes randomly and decided, “I’ll do both.”

“OCD,” Kim coughed.

“Whatever,” Yaya happily went on with her clothing system. “Can you guys believe we’re finally here? Like, on our own?! Without our parents watching us…”

“Or cooking for us, or doing our laundry, or cleaning for us…”

Yaya sent Mai a frown, “When you put it that way…But it just means we’re adults now!”

“I know!” she squealed. “We own our own lives!”

“There,” Kim capped the marker. “I drew a sign for you guys!” She held up the dry erase board that had Mai’s and Yaya’s names on it with tons of little hearts and swirls.

“We should hang that on our door so we can leave messages and stuff.”

“You’re side-tracking her,” Yaya said. “And aren’t you going to put your stuff in order?”

“I have all year to do that,” Kim stretched on their bottom bunk unconcernedly.

---
“You guys ready?” Kim came into their dorm room.

“Yep.”

“Man, it’s too hot out there. I’m not even going to wear makeup,” Mai said, finishing her braid in her hair and binding it. She slipped on her TOMS shoes and joined them out the door.

“Gawd, don’t we look like a bunch of dorky freshmen with our lanyards around our necks?” Kim commented, as indeed, the free lanyards handed out that morning had each of their keys and IDs on them.

“Well, I’d rather look dorky than lose my keys,” Yaya pointed out. “Imagine having to get keyed in, especially during the school day with all your stuff locked in your room. That’s embarrassing.”

“That’s bound to happen at least once, I just know it,” Mai wrinkled her nose, admittedly. “And speaking of classes, I seriously need to buy all of my textbooks.”

Kim said, “I ordered all mine online.”

“Were they cheaper?”

“Not sure, but I have that out of the way now.”

They joined the growing group of students in the Clark lobby.

“I hope they have good food at the dinner,” Mai pondered.

“Like you really care. Anything that’s edible is good enough for you,” Yaya said teasingly.

“True,” Mai shrugged, as she wasn’t a picky person and ate almost, ALMOST, everything, particularly because she had a big appetite and also hated wasting food. Food, in her mind, was too good to resist. It was a pleasure she looked forward to everyday. She was different in this respect from Yaya, who always ate the healthiest foods. Not that Yaya refrained from sweet indulgences, but she had grown up loving veggies. Kim’s diet was similar to Mai’s, but her appetite wasn’t anywhere as big, and so she could always rely on Mai to finish off anything she didn’t want. Many a days the girls had gathered and cooked together, and since none of them were expert chefs, they always had the most fun just experimenting and rewarding each other after good turnouts.

“Good or not, you guys are going to want more of these social events once you get sick of the food in Fury,” Min popped up, referring to the cafeteria, Fury Commons, where people used up most of their meal plans.

“Min, is everyone going to be there?” Kim asked.

“Not everyone. There are usually people who just don’t show up, but that means more for you guys and us volunteers!”

“I like the way Min thinks,” Mai joined in with Min’s imitative cackle.

The speeches welcoming the newbies were kept sweet, encouraging and brief enough for the youngsters to appreciate it and afterwards, they were all given time to get up and serve themselves from the tables lining the walls with different dishes.

“Yesss! They have grilled chicken salad!” Yaya headed away.

“I think some ice cream will be mighty fine,” Kim said slyly, catching sight of Great and Weir, serving ice cream.

“Mm,” Mai said grimly, “The only thing I hate about food is all the choices that make it hard to decide which to eat.”

“My motto is, like all, eat all!” Min swung by with a tray.

Laughing, Mai strode up to deliberate between the pasta or sandwiches. “I do like my spaghetti.” She began slipping some onto her plate, and in the end, pulled the very last string of noodle on. The noodle finally left the large platter but she followed it with her eyes and saw that the other end had gone towards the plate of the person next to her.

Mai and Om turned to find their plates connected by that fateful single pasta.

Mai placed a hand on her hip. “You stealing my pasta?”

They shared quiet shakes of laughter. Om’s lips curved involuntarily as she used her fork to twirl the noodle and place all of it onto his.

“There.” She nodded, satisfied, and eyed her dish in excitement. “Wanna join us at the table?”

Would he! Om was just about to accept when Great shouted his name. He turned to see Great mouth Get your butt over here!

“Uh, just a second. You go on,” he hurried away, making a face at Great.

“Just cuz you’re a CA now don’t mean you got higher status than us,” Great thrust an ice cream scoop at him across the table. “Eat your food and come help us.”

“Yeah, you coulda have just saved me the time of walking here by letting me go start eating so I could get done faster and THEN get to help you guys faster,” Om pointed out.

Great’s mouth opened wordlessly as he realized Om was right, before replying, “Whatever. Just hurry up.”

Om turned around and searched for Mai, but unfortunately, the table she sat at had filled up while he conversed with Great. He made a silent growl before heading to a nearby table with some of his friends.

“So what are your classes like Lily?” Yaya asked the girl next to her. Lily was a shy sweet-faced girl with rich brown hair, whom they’d met during registration.

“I’m pretty much taking my generals, since I’m undecided about my major. The psychology class sounds really interesting though! And I’m taking my exercise class this semester.”

“Lucky, you can get that out of the way then,” Yaya envied. “I didn’t have room for it this semester. Mai, here,” she handed several napkins to Mai, who’s chin had become covered with spaghetti sauce.

“Thanks girl,” Mai said through a full mouth, wiping her chin. She smacked her lips.

Lily giggled, “You make that spaghetti look so good.”

“It IS good,” Mai dug into her dish some more.

“If I were you Lily, I wouldn’t watch too closely when she eats, it hypnotizes you and makes you crave whatever she’s eating,” Yaya warned.

Lily was already half-way out of her seat to go get a plate of spaghetti, before she stopped herself. “Oh! You’re right.”

Om watched as Mai animatedly ate and chatted with her friends. He couldn’t take his eyes off her as he twirled his fork around and around. By the time he lifted his fork, there was too much pasta to fit in his mouth. He felt someone push his shoulder.

“Your turn to help out,” Great plopped into the seat beside him.

“But I’m not done yet.”

Great sat up straight and eyed him mischievously. “Are you sure? I would have thought you were full now from eating nong Mai up with your eyes.”

Om choked on his spaghetti, making Great roar with laughter. After he recovered, Great said, “Did you really think you could hide it? Just own up already.”

Om cleared his throat. “Can you just not be your usual big mouth?” He gathered his things up and walked to the garbage can. Great chuckled at his flustered friend, before he saw Kim waving to him since someone had vacated a seat at their table.

The dinner was finally coming to an end and people were flowing out of the ballroom when Om straightened up, seeing Mai and her friend walking in his direction to get ice cream. He swiftly cleared the area around the table so it wouldn’t look so hectic, and prepared a smile on his face, but just before the girls reached the table, someone tapped his shoulder.

“Hey, I can finish serving,” Weir offered.

“Oh, no, I can do it.”

“But aren’t you supposed to lead the students back to the dorm?”

Disappointed, Om realized he was in the group of CAs who did indeed have to lead the first group of people back. “…Okay. Here, thanks.”

“Hey girls. What can I get for you?” Weir asked Mai and Yaya, who pondered momentarily over the ice cream choices while Om gave one wistful glance back, catching Mai’s answer of chocolate before he was out of earshot.

“Thanks Weir!” Yaya said when he handed her cone to her.

“No problem,” he answered with curved smiling eyes.

“Thanks. We’ll see you later then.”

“Mai.”

Her heart skipped, turning back.

“Don’t you want a napkin?” He teasingly grinned, “I saw earlier that you’re a messy eater.”

She felt heat flood her face. “Uh, yeah. Thanks.” She received the napkin and speed-walked away with Yaya giggling at her side. “Hush, will you?”

“You…have a crush on Weir!”

“Augh!” Mai whirled on her. “Shhhh!”

“What?” Kim appeared at their side.

Yaya promptly answered, “Mai likes Weir.”

“Ooooooo.” Kim turned sly eyes on Mai. “And you were going to keep this a secret from me? Please.”

“Yeah Mai, we never keep secrets from each other.”

“So? Did you talk to him? Did you use sweet words? Did you make the ice cream MELT?”

“Oh..my gosh,” Mai face-palmed herself as the other two twittered in amusement.

---
Saturday.

“Shit, what’s the freaking bathroom code…Min!” Kim grumbled, swinging her towel over her shoulder. “Crap, she’s having breakfast.” She then headed a few feet down the hall to Mai and Yaya’s room. “You guys?” No one answered, making her let out a frustrated goan. “Why is everyone such morning people?” Kim had woken up last, as usual. Sighing on her way down the stairs, she stopped another girl, who was on the landing. “Hey, ‘scuse me , do you know our floor’s bathroom code?”

“Second floor?” the girl with two braids asked.

“No third.”

“Er,” the girl grimaced, “Sorry, I live on the second floor so…I’m not sure.”

“Oh, duh,” Kim smacked her forehead. “Sorry, I just assumed everyone would know.”

“If you want, you can just use the one on our floor. It shouldn’t matter.”

“Yeah! Could you help me out? I really need to get ready for the day.”

“Come on this way.”

“So what’s your name?”

“Beau.”

“I’m Kim. Nice meeting you, particularly since I have to use the bathroom bad now.” She made a noise of discontent, “I’m not so sure whether I should have picked Clark Hall over Warren Hall. The rooms are smaller there but each room has its own bathroom, you know?”

“Yeah. I was also thinking about rooming in Grace Hall since it’s like, connected to Fury Commons and so convenient not having to walk outside to eat since the winters are going to be ridiculously cold,” Beau said, punching the numbers on the bathroom door, while Kim nodded.

“Speaking of which, wanna get brunch with me after I’m done?”

Eagerly nodding, Beau replied, “Sure! I’m in 207, so just come by when you’re ready.”

“Sounds good, and thanks again for helping me out.”

Beau sighed happily, relieved to have met someone so nice on this first weekend.

Her steps slowed, seeing another girl on her floor standing in the middle of the hallway. Walking a little past the Asian girl with a bouncy ponytail, Beau looked back to view the girl’s creased brow and confused frown. “Um…Is something the matter?”

The girl glanced at her then nudged her chin in the direction of what she was looking at. “That’s…my room.”

Beau looked over her shoulder and jerked her head back in surprise. They both watched a boy trying to work the lock of the door.

Mario stopped trying to fit the key in the doorknob when he felt eyes on him. Slowly turning his head to the side, he found two girls staring at him with intense confused and slightly suspicious gazes, which in turn made him also confused. His eyes glanced left and right, one brow quirked, feeling weirded out. Did he forget to zip his pants? He inconspicuously double-checked. Zipper was zipped. Something on his face? He wiped his face, but there was nothing on the smooth skin.

Unable to stand it any longer, Mario offered a half smile. “Can I help you?”

“I think you’re mistaken?” One of them asked.

“Huh?”

“How come you’re going to that room?”

“Well, I was assigned to this room. This IS Clark Hall, correct?”

“Yes,” the one with the ponytail dipped her head once in a deep nod. “So shouldn’t you be on the fourth or fifth floor?”

“But my key specifically says 212.”

Ponytail exclaimed, “Huh? Lemme see.” She scurried over and looked at his room and mailbox key. “There’s no way you should be my roommate! This is a girls’ floor.”

“What?!” he asked in shock. “What the hell?”

“Yeah and I’m pretty sure my roommate’s name is Maria Maurer,” she continued.

Mario’s eyes flattened. “The name’s Mari-OH Maurer.”

The trio took turns catching each other’s eyes and then started laughing.

The ponytail girl stopped first, her face set seriously. “We need to clear this up ASAP because I’m not going to be sleeping in the same room as a boy. Come.” Without another glance, she tugged his tie, not allowing him to even pick up his luggage as she dragged him down the hall to the stairs. Beau, debating whether to go with them but not wanting to miss Kim, looked down at the two bags the boy had left.

“I’ll just skip down with these. I’d feel terrible if someone stole them.”

Mario tried to keep his neck intact as the girl dragged him down a flight of stairs to the front desk. She pertly said, “Excuse me, but is the hall director here?”

“Yeah,” the desk assistant, whose nametag read as Connor, replied. “Is there a problem?”

“Yeah, something’s been mixed up. He was assigned as my roommate but that’s obviously not right.”

“Max!” Connor called to the office behind the desk. “We got a serious situation here.”

“I’ll say,” the girl crossed her arms. She explained the situation again to their Hall Director, Max, and he laughed.

“That’s so weird! Molly doesn’t seem like the type to make a mistake like this. I’ll give her a call straight away. Sometimes this happens with the different move in days.” He got on the phone.

“So, why did you move in a day late? Are you from abroad?” the girl asked.

“No, there was a delay on my flight from California.”

“You live in Cali?” She was momentarily surprised.

“Uh, no. I’m actually from Lawrence here but was visiting relatives.”

Her eyes narrowed. “So why didn’t you stick with the move-in schedule? Freshmen were supposed to move in yesterday.”

“Well, I was with my family in Cali, and couldn’t make it. That’s why they have multiple move-in days, you know, in case people CAN’T make it,” Mario explained patiently.

But Mario’s accidental roommate was a person with no patience for people who caused her trouble, however much they didn’t mean to do it on purpose.
“Well, seeing as this was completely preventable, it was inconsiderate of you to move in late.”

“What?” he squinted an eye, not sure if he should be annoyed or not. “Uh…sorry, I guess?”

She crossed her arms as they waited for Max to sort out the problem.

“Okay,” Max turned to them. “Um…Mario? Right, Mario, you’ll be transferred up to the fifth floor and—

“Who’s my roommate?” he asked.

“Um, this other first year, he hasn’t moved in yet—“

“SEE?” Mario pointed with a hand, while talking to the upset girl, “Other first years aren’t moved in yet either. It’s why they stretch the move-ins over the whole weekend.”

“Whatever, that doesn’t give you an excuse to BE late too,” she retorted.

“Well I’m sorry I WAS late now, because I could have gotten this unpleasant ordeal over with a LOT sooner,” Mario huffed.

“Excuse you?” she narrowed her eyes at him.

“Yes, please do excuse me while I go put my belongings away in my REAL room where I’ll kindly welcome my REAL roommate who I will understandingly NOT make a big deal out of his coming here late.” He turned on his heel and ascended the stairs, leaving the girl with her jaw loose, very much offended.

She twisted her mouth in infuriation. “So…who IS my roommate?”

“What’s your name?”

“Taew Nataporn Taemeeruk.”

“ Your roommate is...Katherine Spinner.”

Author's note------
@TubbyTinker: lol I've been wanting to see Mai and Om in a lakorn too, but since that doesn't seem like it'll happen any time soon, I decided to pair them up myself...perhaps? ^^

@kennann fan: so glad to hear from you! Glad you're liking this and I will do my best to write so that your questions are answered! <3

jjinxx

JJINXXY --- WOW... lots of characters here na.... Of course, you write it, I'll read it (although I am still staying away from your last FF's last chapter... you know my heart can't take that). Wondering if my most favorite person will be included in this cast or not... (I am so one track mind na. I am "ruk diew jai diew" when it comes to N. lol)

Keep on coming na... for some reason, I thought you were pairing Mai up with Weir. Mai and Om will look hot too na.

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
WELCOME BACKKKKKKKKKK, jjinxxy!

I'm so happy to see you with a new fan fic. Wow, the whole all stars cast and they are my favorites.

Thanks dear, can't wait to read more.

jjinxx

Hello Lovelies! It's great to be back! Thank you for the warm welcomes, you always know how to make me smile! =D
For Kiki and anyone else who might be wondering, Nadech will be part of the main cast. How would I ever be able to forget him? *wink* I think the next chapter will give us most of the main cast for this school year, and more will be coming as we go along.
I hope you enjoy! I have another story in the works also and might get that up in the near future now that my summer is beginning.

jjinxx

TubbyTinker

ahhhh! Chapter 2 had me smiling! Mai is such a dork with her food...so cute how Om stares at her...I could see those twinkles in his eyes........I loved the part where he was serving ice cream and when Maia nd Yaya walked over, Weir came and served instead LOL

its sad how Om likes Mai but Mai likes Weir?...I wonder who Weir likes

the first encounter of Mario and Taew are hilarious!

MARIA Maurer hahahhaha

oh BTW jjinx, I love your way of writing! Like a pro!

jjinxx

Chapter 3

Mai was just heading back from the campus bookstore, grumbling that her textbook wasn&rsquo;t in stock, but enjoying the summer weather too much to be worried. She looked up to see a guy coming out of her dorm. She caught his eye and was going to smile in passing but something about him made her footsteps slow, and her eyes did a double take. She squinted, tilting her head curiously while running her gaze over his face&mdash;his hair carelessly over his forehead right above a pair of deeply dark eyes and a familiar nose followed by an even more familiar smile that suddenly registered where she had seen him before.

&ldquo;No&hellip;frickin&hellip;way,&rdquo; she uttered haltingly in her excitement while a smile plastered to her face. &ldquo;Oh my gosh!&rdquo;

The young man cocked his head with smiling eyes. &ldquo;You can&rsquo;t remember me?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Eeek!&rdquo; her hands covered her mouth as she charged at him.

Om cleared up his desk and peered out the window. His eyes caught Mai and so he leaned forward to look out just in time to witness her rush towards a guy and they threw their arms around each other in an embrace that was not romantic but not light or casual either. The scene made Om feel strange, not because it was strange in itself, but he felt it was strange that he was&hellip;disappointed to see Mai so close with a guy.
He used the heel of his hand to hit his head. &ldquo;You&rsquo;re so stupid&hellip;You barely know her&hellip;&rdquo;

Her arms wrapped around his shoulders, Mai squealed in glee. &ldquo;Is this for real? Ohmygosh, tell me I&rsquo;m not seeing things! What the heck. It&rsquo;s really you right, Nadech?!&rdquo; She pulled back looking into his eyes, almost pleading. &ldquo;Please tell me I&rsquo;m not hugging a total stranger in public.&rdquo;

Nadech, also just barely able to contain his own pleasure of finally seeing his best friend again after five long years, grinned. &ldquo;Why don&rsquo;t YOU tell me if I&rsquo;m a stranger,&rdquo; he said.

Her eyes softened, feeling all of her affection for the person who she grew up with flowing to the brim of her heart.

&ldquo;I missed you so much,&rdquo; Mai&rsquo;s voice quivered as she blinked back tears. &ldquo;I can&rsquo;t believe you&rsquo;re really here.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Me either. And I missed you just the same.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Gosh!&rdquo; she pulled back and smacked his arm. &ldquo;Why&hellip;how&hellip;&rdquo; She tilted her head questioningly. &ldquo;And why are you here? How did you get here? Wait,&rdquo; she narrowed her eyes, &ldquo;And why did you never reply to my letters or emails!?&rdquo;

Nadech simply smiled, despite her frown. &ldquo;There&rsquo;s an explanation, and I&rsquo;ll tell you later.&rdquo;

&ldquo;You better,&rdquo; she sulked. &ldquo;I was so disappointed when I didn&rsquo;t even hear from you for over a year and then I find out you moved.&rdquo;

He pulled her back in and she didn&rsquo;t resist. &ldquo;Forgive me, pheun rak ja.&rdquo;

She laughed through tears, giddiness lifting her mood. &ldquo;You&rsquo;re really here. You have to tell me everything, everything since I last saw you and all about how you got here.&rdquo;

Mai and Nadech hugged each other as if years had not passed since they last saw each other; as if they had not missed out on anything in each other&rsquo;s lives; as if they were still the same thirteen year olds biking to the ice cream shop and ordering scoops that they would share and savor without a care about tomorrow. They paid no mind to anyone who might be watching, they were caught up in the moment of being in the presence of someone whom both were completely grateful to have met in this lifetime and to make up for all the hugs of their special friend whom no one could ever replace.

&ldquo;Oh! Mai&rsquo;s back. Let&rsquo;s ask her if she wants to order Jimmy John&rsquo;s.&rdquo; Yaya trailed off as they watched Mai walk with her arm around a guy whose arm was also over her shoulders.

Kim&rsquo;s jaw dropped. &ldquo;And she was all up in my case about wanting to find a boyfriend. Who the heck is that hottie?&rdquo;

&ldquo;I dunno either of them, but they look really happy,&rdquo; Beau observed as the other two nodded in agreement, since clearly Mai&rsquo;s and her possibly-boyfriend&rsquo;s faces were decorated with bright smiles.

Finally, Mai looked their way and her face lit up in excitement. She pulled the boy along with her towards them. &ldquo;You guys!&rdquo; she exclaimed, breathless. &ldquo;Guess who this is!&rdquo;

&ldquo;Uh&hellip;&rdquo;

&ldquo;It&rsquo;s Nadech!&rdquo; she didn&rsquo;t really give them a chance to guess.

They blinked quizzically at her.

&ldquo;You know&mdash;&ldquo;

&ldquo;Oh!&rdquo; Yaya&rsquo;s mind registered the memory. &ldquo;Your friend from Thailand who you wanted to see this summer!&rsquo;

&ldquo;Yes! He&rsquo;s here and he&rsquo;s staying in Lawrence with us!&rdquo; Mai froze. &ldquo;Wait, you ARE staying right? This isn&rsquo;t some temporary trip you&rsquo;re making?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Would that make sense?&rdquo; Nadech slightly tussled her hair.

&ldquo;Just making sure. So anyway, Nadech these are my friends, Yaya,&rdquo; Mai pointed with her hand,&rdquo; and Kim. Remember I wrote to you about meeting them?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Ah!&rdquo; Nadech responded and turned to the two girls. &ldquo;I&rsquo;ve heard so much about you two. Terrible things too, I hate you already.&rdquo; Mai punched him on the arm, making him wince laughingly and he grinned with a, &ldquo;Kidding, kidding.&rdquo;

Yaya and Kim chuckled.

Mai looked over. &ldquo;Oh, and did you guys make a new friend?&rdquo; she asked, seeing Beau give a sheepish smile.

&ldquo;Yep, this is Beau. She&rsquo;s on the second floor.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Nice meeting you,&rdquo; Mai and Nadech said at the same time, then looked at each other with huge grins.

Kim and Yaya shared curious glances. Many times they had heard Mai&rsquo;s stories of her childhood in Thailand with frequent mentions of this Nadech person, but to see him tangibly and observe their interaction in person was surprising because they were a lot closer than imagined.

&ldquo;Have you moved all your stuff in? Are your parents around?&rdquo; Mai whipped around and around in case she might have missed his parents.

&ldquo;I just got done checking in with the hall director this morning and my parents didn&rsquo;t fly in with me,&rdquo; he said, which caused her to pout. &ldquo;They already notified your parents that I&rsquo;m here and told me to tell you hi and&hellip;to take good care of me.&rdquo; He looked smug like a spoiled child.

She laughed. &ldquo;How are they doing?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Great. My mom bought a fruit garden.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Seriously? Oh my gosh that&rsquo;s so cool! Ooh, tell me she&rsquo;s growing mangoes,&rdquo; Mai said hopefully.

&ldquo;Of course.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Hell yeah! Gosh I love your mom! Ah, do you need help moving anything in? Who&rsquo;s your roommate?&rdquo; she asked tentatively.

&ldquo;Haven&rsquo;t met him yet. His name&rsquo;s&hellip;&rdquo;Nadech looked up in thought, &ldquo;Tae&hellip;Taec&hellip;urgh, not sure if I&rsquo;ll pronounce it right&mdash;Taec Yeon?&rdquo;

&ldquo;That really friendly Korean boy,&rdquo; Yaya nodded, having a good memory of people she met.

&ldquo;Show us your room,&rdquo; Mai suggested excitedly.

&ldquo;Sure.&rdquo;

&ldquo;You guys wanna come?&rdquo;

&ldquo;We were going to order Jimmy John&rsquo;s. You want some? I&rsquo;m starving,&rdquo; Kim said, reminded of their initial plans.

&ldquo;Nah, I&rsquo;m not hungry yet,&rdquo; Mai looked at Nadech.

&ldquo;Me either.&rdquo;

&ldquo;I&rsquo;ll see you guys in a bit then. See you Beau!&rdquo;

&ldquo;Nice meeting everyone,&rdquo; Nadech addressed the others, flashing a gentle smile with his dimple deep in his cheek.

&ldquo;Can you believe it? Mai must be so thrilled,&rdquo; Yaya said, smiling. &ldquo;She was always saying how he&rsquo;s like the brother she never had and now they get to go the same school.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Mhm&hellip;And what the heck; he speaks English really well for someone from&hellip;a non-English country,&rdquo; Kim described.

&ldquo;Well, remember Mai said they went to an international school and was taught English every day?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Okay, well that&rsquo;s all settled now. Let&rsquo;s get some grub. Come on Beau!&rdquo;

After a tour of Nadech&rsquo;s room, which was fairly quick since all of the rooms were basically the same and with few personal touches yet, and the introductions to his roommate who stopped by, Mai and Nadech decided to take a walk and pause all the present school thoughts to focus on catching up. They strode leisurely on the edge of campus that overlooked the Mississippi River; Mai asking a hundred questions a minute and Nadech answering and asking just as many back. They paused on a round area that had a clear view of the river and the shore on the other side. Mai breathed in deeply before catching him scrutinizing her openly.

She faced him and looked him up and down, remembering that she had not looked properly at him yet, had not been given the chance to see how he&rsquo;d grown in the time they were apart. The pair took their time studying each other, not even aware that they could do so without feeling self conscious or weird because their friendship had not changed and the level of comfort they shared hadn&rsquo;t either.

As seconds passed by, their observations somehow turned into quite an intense staring contest, with screwing up their faces in an effort to not close their drying eyes, until Mai stamped her foot.

&ldquo;Oi! I blinked!&rdquo; They laughed, leaning on the railing. &ldquo;I can&rsquo;t believe mom kept it from me,&rdquo; she shook her head. She&rsquo;d learned that last winter, Nadech&rsquo;s parents contacted her mom about him studying here and since Lawrence was a good school and Mai was going to be attending, they would set up everything so that it would be a surprise for her when the semester began. &ldquo;And you too! You disappeared, even though we swore we&rsquo;d keep in contact. I was really sad&hellip;&rdquo; she tossed a stone into the river.

Nadech sighed. &ldquo;I wanted to talk to you, believe me, but there were a lot of problems going on with dad&rsquo;s work and then we had to move and I even had to go live with my dad&rsquo;s parents for a while.&rdquo;

&ldquo;You went to Japan!?&rdquo; she exclaimed, eyes growing wide.

He nodded. &ldquo;The last two years were particularly chaotic.&rdquo;

&ldquo;You could have written to me. It might have helped when you weren&rsquo;t feeling happy. Not that I have any particular powers to make people happy. I just worried about you.&rdquo;

Nadech wasn&rsquo;t sure how to explain that writing to her would have made him even more depressed since hearing from her would simply remind him he no longer had his best friend so until his family became stable again and found a permanent place, he made himself concentrate on helping his parents move things smoothly along. &ldquo;If it makes you feel any better, I missed you a LOT.&rdquo; He glanced to the side, &ldquo;Like, as much as the Mississippi is long, which according to my US almanac, is pretty darn long, I miss you THAT much.&rdquo;

She couldn&rsquo;t hide a smile. &ldquo;Makes me feel slightly better. But I&rsquo;m still upset. Hmph, you&rsquo;re not invited for Christmas.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Your mom already invited me to stay at your house during the winter break,&rdquo; he informed innocently.

&ldquo;Tsk. Fine, but&hellip;you owe me a sundae buffet!&rdquo;

He grinned. &ldquo;Yes ma&rsquo;am!&rdquo;

They basked in the prospect of being able to enjoy those good fine days of stuffing themselves and talking about nonsense the whole time.

&ldquo;So then, did you at least get me a souvenir from Japan, or were you too busy? Or did you get yourself a Japanese girlfriend and forget all about me?&rdquo; she teased.

He shook his head. &ldquo;I was too busy to get a girlfriend and even if I got one, she would&rsquo;ve dumped me for being too busy.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Excuses, excuses,&rdquo; she shook her finger, &ldquo;Don&rsquo;t tell me you&rsquo;ve become a workaholic like Yaya. Well good thing you&rsquo;re here. Because I won&rsquo;t dump you ever, pal,&rdquo; she clapped a companionable hand on his shoulder. &ldquo;This is going to be a great year. I&rsquo;m so glad you&rsquo;re here.&rdquo;

He opened his arms and they hugged, enjoying the soft breeze that rippled the river&rsquo;s glistening surface.

---
Yaya&rsquo;s eyes swept around the tables that had been pushed together, the seats occupied with new and newer faces. Somehow, as she, Kim, and Beau had walked up to her room to call Jimmy John&rsquo;s and back down, they met quite a few more people and the Jimmy John&rsquo;s lunch became a large group social taking place in Clark&rsquo;s basement lounge room. On Yaya&rsquo;s right sat Kim, then Beau with her silky pigtails; then a fellow freshman who gave off the impression of being very well cared for with her sleek ponytail, manicure, and precise clothing; then a shy girl with pretty and sharp features, who looked around curiously and shyly while quietly eating; next to her was a cute boy who kept emphasizing that his name was Mari-OH; beside him was Ploy, their gorgeous third year CA, and Aum, a third year hunk; next to him was Om and one of his friends, and Min and finally her friend, who was a CA for another residential building.

&ldquo;So,&rdquo; Aum said, unwrapping his sandwich, &ldquo;Let&rsquo;s see it; show of hands. Who are the newbies here?&rdquo;

The freshmen glanced around and held up their hands.

&ldquo;Dang there are a lot of you this year. Heh, heh, all the more for me to use as my slaves&hellip;&rdquo;

&ldquo;Either that or they&rsquo;ll join strength to kick your ass,&rdquo; Ploy said pleasantly, her perfectly lined eyes being the envy of the younger girls. Right from the start, the female freshmen felt she was someone they could look up to, not simply because she was kind and beautiful, but carried herself confidently and in a sophisticated manner; because of this, although few of them still used the Thai prefixes with friends, they immediately couldn&rsquo;t help calling her P&rsquo;Ploy.

After a loud burp, Aum declared, &ldquo;I say we go around and make official intros. I&rsquo;ll start with myself. Aum, third year; criminal justice major, minor in law. Vice president of the Multicultural Committee, hockey star and avid snow boarder. Originally from Thailand and been living in the States approximately two-thirds of my life. Will definitely be making the news as the country&rsquo;s most heroic--&rdquo;

&ldquo;Intros,&rdquo; Ploy cut in drily, &ldquo;not your whole life&rsquo;s story. Ahem,&rdquo; she set down her water bottle. &ldquo;Ploy, third year; double majoring in Women&rsquo;s Studies and Marketing. President of the Honor&rsquo;s Club and a Women&rsquo;s Center employee.&rdquo;

They turned their eyes to Mario who unfortunately was in the midst of a particularly big mouthful of bread, ham and lettuce, so he waved over to the girl beside him. Posh Ponytail rolled her eyes.

The slender girl sunk slightly lower in her seat. How could she go after hearing all the high achievements of the upperclassmen? If it wasn&rsquo;t for Mario, her friend whom she had basically grown up with, she would have opted out of this lunch in the first place, so shy to meet new people as she was. She felt Mario&rsquo;s encouraging nudge. &ldquo;Er, I&rsquo;m Margie, first year&hellip;and I hope to get into the Art major.&rdquo;

Wanting to spare Margie any more stress, Mario began right away, &ldquo;I&rsquo;m Mario, first year and living in the FIFTH floor now, whatever you all might have heard. I&rsquo;m undecided for my major, though seriously considering becoming a novelist.&rdquo;

Ponytail just barely let him finish before beginning with hers. &ldquo;My name&rsquo;s Taew. I&rsquo;m a first year and I&rsquo;m considering either theater or music.&rdquo;

&ldquo;I&rsquo;m Beau and I&rsquo;m undecided with my major.&rdquo;

Kim sat up straight. &ldquo;I&rsquo;m Kim. First year and an education major.&rdquo;

Yaya went next. &ldquo;I&rsquo;m Yaya, first year; I intend to go for English.&rdquo;

Min&rsquo;s friend Sammie was a biology major. Min was a communication arts major, having switched over from psychology. Om&rsquo;s friend Pope, was a business student, and had quite a natural charm as one of those people you couldn&rsquo;t help liking right away. And Om was a biomedical science major.

&ldquo;Well it&rsquo;s great to meet all of you here, welcome and work hard, do your best, have fun and all that other good crap,&rdquo; Aum said like a good role model.

Contrary to their previous claims, Mai and Nadech both felt hungry and walked over to Yulli where they obtained some snacks and headed back to Clark Hall.

In Nadech&rsquo;s room, after they had feasted on their bounty, their laughter not missing a single beat, he pulled out a box and pushed it over to her.

Mai opened it and asked with intrigue, &ldquo;What is all this?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Souvenirs. Gifts. Stuff,&rdquo; he shrugged, then added, &ldquo;For you.&rdquo;

Friends like these two couldn&rsquo;t have forgotten one another even if one had been hit by a semi and suffered amnesia while the other developed Alzheimer&rsquo;s. Mai picked up each item from the box, little key chains and doll figurines and toys, feeling extremely touched, knowing that each gift had been obtained with his thoughts for her. Here she was guilt-tripping Nadech when he had obviously never strayed from their friendship.

&ldquo;Have I ever told you, you rock?&rdquo; she looked up at him, hands flipping through a manga.

&ldquo;Not in a while,&rdquo; he snickered.

&ldquo;Well you are the best friend ever.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Okay, now you&rsquo;re just being obvious.&rdquo;

Mai&rsquo;s phone buzzed.

Kim: Where the hay r u? We&rsquo;re heading out for dinner with P&rsquo;Ploy and others. Get to ur room n bring N with u.

They hadn&rsquo;t noticed the time fly by, and the discarded snack wrappers from a few hours ago.

---
&ldquo;So what&rsquo;s everyone feeling like tonight? Chinese? Mexican?&rdquo; Aum asked.

Mai caught sight of Weir with a guy she didn&rsquo;t recognize. He saw her and smiled, to her pleasure.

&ldquo;Let&rsquo;s check out Mongo&rsquo;s Grill,&rdquo; a big guy said.

&ldquo;Everyone okay with that?&rdquo;

There was a majority consensus.

The edge of campus was a mere few blocks from downtown, structured with close streets and old-fashioned brick buildings of restaurants, stores, and various businesses. The late summer sun that was reluctant to set glistened upon the large group of students who wound their way to Mongo&rsquo;s.

&ldquo;So here&rsquo;s what you do,&rdquo; Aum said for the sake of those who&rsquo;ve never been to Mongo&rsquo;s before. &ldquo;Grab a bowl, fill it as much as you can with whatever noodles, meats, veggies you want and pour your choice of sauce on it, then give it to the grillers and tell them if you want white rice, fried rice, noodles, with or without eggs. Easy right? Let&rsquo;s get to it.&rdquo;

Margie watched in awe as, within a few seconds, Aum and some of the others had piled their bowls tall with all their ingredients. She scooted around, and timidly reached for the chicken, but another customer snatched the tongs first. She then went around to the vegetables and tried to get some broccoli but couldn&rsquo;t reach through the group of Min, Yaya, Beau and Ploy. With a tiny sigh, she resigned herself to waiting until they were all finished.

&ldquo;Margie, what are you doin&rsquo;??&rdquo; Mario demanded seeing her pitifully empty bowl. &ldquo;Get your claws in there or you will starve. Survival of the fittest, remember?&rdquo; Without a word from her, he grabbed her bowl and elbowed his way through the group of girls, expertly flipping a variety of colorful vegetables in the bowl; next he glared at Pope, who was trying to choose between shrimp or chicken, so that the older boy sensed the cut eye and consented to move away and let Mario pick some meat.

&ldquo;There!&rdquo; Mario proudly handed Margie her bowl back.

&ldquo;Thanks.&rdquo; Margie always felt grateful for Mario, even though she also felt guilty for making him take the time to do these things for her.

&ldquo;Come on,&rdquo; Mario linked arms with her and dragged her over to the grill.

&ldquo;&hellip;Pope, that one&rsquo;s Aum, that one&rsquo;s Mario and next to him is Margie&hellip;&rdquo; Yaya quietly pointed everyone out to Mai since she and Nadech had been absent earlier.

Aum&rsquo;s buff friend caught Yaya&rsquo;s eye and nodded his chin. &ldquo;What up?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Hi,&rdquo; she and Mai said.

&ldquo;Oh,&rdquo; Aum put down his fork, &ldquo;Guys, this is Rome. He&rsquo;s a fourth year.&rdquo;

Those who were listening murmured general greetings.

&ldquo;He&rsquo;s a football player,&rdquo; Aum said.

&ldquo;Yeah, I can tell,&rdquo; Beau noted at his generously-muscled biceps, much to Rome&rsquo;s satisfaction.

&ldquo;But whatever. It&rsquo;s all about hockey here.&rdquo;

Rome shot Aum a lazy glare.

&ldquo;I just couldn&rsquo;t imagine doing a sport in college. I mean, not that I don&rsquo;t still love volleyball but I can simply play it on my own time without a team,&rdquo; Kim said.

&ldquo;Right, plus things get way more competitive in college. And,&rdquo; Mai pursed her lips, &ldquo;it was easy making up for missed classes in high school but I don&rsquo;t even want to think about missing my bio lectures, or exams.&rdquo;

&ldquo;What sport did you play?&rdquo; Om asked from his lucky seat right across the table from Mai, not without a good amount of curiosity.

&ldquo;Hockey.&rdquo;

His eyes widened at the pleasant surprise. &ldquo;Really? I play for Lawrence!&rdquo;

&ldquo;Oh my gosh, I didn&rsquo;t know that!&rdquo; Mai replied enthusiastically.

&ldquo;I never understood hockey,&rdquo; Kim gave a small contemplative frown.

&ldquo;Yeah well now I don&rsquo;t need you to because I just found someone new to spazz to about hockey! Yay.&rdquo; She grinned at Om, who couldn&rsquo;t help the admiration for her in his heart growing. Although his glory was squashed when Aum announced to Mai, &ldquo;I play hockey too,&rdquo; so that her attention was divided from him.

All in all, Yaya, Kim, and Mai felt very welcomed by this enjoyable prelude to their first semester in college. They had already met a few people who would be added to their list of lifelong friends, though none of them knew it yet. Each had their own excitements and anxieties, but every tomorrow was sure to be worth yesterday&rsquo;s heartaches.

As the group converged up the steps of Clark Hall, Mario and Taew bumped into each other. They both turned their noses away in the air.

&ldquo;Oh, Mario!&rdquo; It was Max who was calling to him. Mario headed over to the desk.

&ldquo;Yeah?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Just so you know, your roommate&rsquo;s here. Just moved in an hour ago.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Cool. Who is he and what does his hair look like?&rdquo;

Max cocked his head in thought. &ldquo;Hair? I dunno, normal?&rdquo;

Mario sighed and said, &ldquo;I&rsquo;ll check it out myself. You can tell a lot about a person by their hair. For example, people with ponytails,&rdquo; he raised his volume the slightest as Taew strode by ignoring him, &ldquo;are disagreeable and stubborn.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Here Max, I&rsquo;m done checking over my room.&rdquo; A tall-ish boy appeared, handing over a yellow form to Max.

&ldquo;Ah, Mark, you&rsquo;re just in time. Meet Mario.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Oh, you&rsquo;re my roommate? Nice to meet you, my name&rsquo;s Mark Suparat.&rdquo; He held his hand out to Mario, who didn&rsquo;t immediately respond. Mario squinted an eye at Mark&rsquo;s hair, looking unsure, before nodding once.

He shook Mark&rsquo;s hand. &ldquo;Yes, the name is Mari-OH.&rdquo;

&ldquo;What is that like a French pronunciation or something?&rdquo; Mark asked with a light humor. His smile slowly disappeared as Mario made a face at him. &ldquo;Uh&hellip;sorr&mdash;&ldquo;

&ldquo;THAT&hellip;is such a good idea!&rdquo; Mario grinned ecstatically. &ldquo;My name with a French touch to it, unique, one of a kind&hellip;You know what? I like you after all. I wasn&rsquo;t sure at first but now I am. Come on.&rdquo;

He led a confused Mark up to their room, while introducing him loudly to the others on the way.

Author's note------
@TubbyTinker, LOL thank you dear! I don't know how I can deserve your praise, but I'm just glad it's going well. Mario is going to be one of kind...but then again, I'm hoping all of the characters will win your hearts!

jjinxx

TubbyTinker

Hahahahaha.....OMG! Mario cracks me up! I can so picture him observing mak's hair

And wow! Casts just keeps on coming!

shengvang

sarNie Adult
Thanks for another update jjinxx's! And i do agree w/ you tubby tinker. Mario is sooo freaken funny. lol... Love how new cast are coming into the picture slowly! :thumbsup:

dancy

sarNie Oldmaid
I finally finish reading the hold 3 chapters and I like it. It look like its going to be a 3 way love with Mai, OM, & Weir. I wonder why Weir didn't notice Mai. It seem like Mai is having a crush on Weir. :coverlaf: It seem like Kim & Great will be a couple. I do hope they will be a couple. Just reading the first chapter make me feel like I want them to be a couple. lol OMG the scene with Mario pulling Margie to go get her food was so cutie and funny. :ghehe: I love that scene a lot. :spin: I wonder what happened between Nadech and his best friend. Who is his best friend?

D~D

sarNie Adult
what !! Min and Om are suppose to be 2gether. :(

jjinxxy ka - Can you list all the characters in the first post? I think it will help all of us readers out a bit since there are many characters here. You can edit and add as your story continues but I have to say I am a bit overwhelmed by all the casts. You know, my focus is only on one very cute couple who stole my heart. LOL.

jjinxx

Chapter 4

A clear sky greeted the girls who stood outside after a hearty breakfast.

&ldquo;Ready for this?&rdquo; Yaya asked, hugging her textbook.

&ldquo;You bet,&rdquo; Kim said, arms crossed in defiance against anything that would stand in her way of a great day.

&ldquo;Let&rsquo;s go start the first day of our lives as grownups,&rdquo; Mai took a deep breath.

They separated in different directions to their first class.

Arriving in the hall where other students were awaiting the professor to open the classroom door, Yaya heard someone call her name.

&ldquo;Oh, Nadech!&rdquo; she nearly exclaimed. Although they didn&rsquo;t know each other perfectly well, it was a relief to see a familiar face, so Yaya waited with a wide smile for him. &ldquo;I didn&rsquo;t know you have this class too.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Me neither.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Yeah, where were you at breakfast?&rdquo;

&ldquo;I planned for a call from my mom, so I got up early and ate before you guys.&rdquo;

Yaya smiled at hearing of him waking up early just to catch a call from his mother. It was an utterly sweet thought.

&ldquo;Are you nervous being here? I live only an hour away and I already felt homesick last night,&rdquo; Yaya admitted.

&ldquo;Honestly yeah,&rdquo; Nadech winced. &ldquo;But I&rsquo;ve felt homesick before and know that the feeling won&rsquo;t last as long as I keep myself busy.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Don&rsquo;t worry, we&rsquo;ll have plenty to study and plenty to play here, and you have Mai and all the rest of us!&rdquo; Yaya encouraged, both to herself and to him. This optimism helped them both relax and they smiled comfortably at one another. Yaya found his dimples rather adorable. And he had such unique bone structure&hellip; she had never seen a guy with such thick eyebrows, they were very expressive&hellip;and were his eyes sparkling?

&ldquo;Mai said you&rsquo;re an English major? I&rsquo;ll be looking up to you for help then,&rdquo; he said.

Yaya laughed, coming out of her admiration realm, &ldquo;I&rsquo;ll do my best, though your English is already perfect.&rdquo;

They followed the students into the classroom and proceeded with class.

---
Sitting sideways on his chair, chatting with Mario and a few girls, Mark noticed someone who had caught his eye before, when he had come down the stairs in the Houston Science Building. Curious, Mark stole a look from the corner of his eye at the girl who sat behind him. She was pretty, with some of the biggest eyes he&rsquo;d ever seen, and a prominent chin. Her hair swept effortlessly at her shoulder, a fitting frame for her face&hellip;that had no interest whatsoever in him. In fact, she was the only girl in the room not looking at him. He noticed something out of the ordinary on the back of her blue shirt.

Kim set her mouth firmly, troubled in her mind. There seemed to be something she&rsquo;d forgotten, but she had no idea what. It was driving her nuts because she was afraid she&rsquo;d forgotten something real important, and so she was trying her hardest to recall anything about the last few days&mdash;school, move in, tuition, classes, new friends&mdash;anything that might have been overlooked. She was concentrating so hard that she didn&rsquo;t even notice Mark flash her a most attractive smile when he passed some papers to her. She just passed the papers on and continued poring through her mind.

Mark was good-looking; he was aware of the fact that he wasn&rsquo;t the best looking guy in the world, but he wasn&rsquo;t sore to look at either; and he especially had a personality that naturally drew others into his energy and influence. It could certainly be said that he was not used to having to work for someone&rsquo;s attention and so when this girl would not pay him even a glance, he got&hellip;frustrated? Confused? Interested.

After the professor had given them an introduction to their psychology class and allowed them to separate into their groups for a short discussion on their thoughts on mental disorders, Mark swung his head into Kim&rsquo;s field of vision. &ldquo;Hi! I&rsquo;m Mark, looks like we&rsquo;ll be in the same discussion group.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Hm,&rdquo; Kim looked up at him, distracted. &ldquo;Cool.&rdquo; She turned her attention to the book, while Thomas and Lily faltered for something to talk about pertaining to the subject. None of them being well-informed about psychology, their discussion was short-lived and they lapsed into irrelevant conversations.

Kim looked at the clock, hoping they would get out early like the professor had said. She noticed Mark tapping his pencil on her folder. He smiled at her and she returned it but also went back to that annoying guessing about what she&rsquo;d forgotten. Mark tried again to talk to her.

&ldquo;I dunno if you know, but I live in Clark Hall too&hellip;&rdquo;

Perhaps if Kim had not been trying to recall important lost information from the depths of her mind, the chances are high that she would have zoned her attention in on this tall, cute, and rather charming guy in front of her. She would probably&mdash;highly probably- have been real happy he was interested in her. But because Mark was intentionally fighting for her attention and breaking her train of thought from something that she just knew was important, she grew aggravated at him.

And thus, instead of spazzing about another hottie she&rsquo;d met to Yaya, she went back and complained about this &ldquo;conceited dude who just could not stop interrupting the class all hour.&rdquo;

&ldquo;For real?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Well, okay, he didn&rsquo;t like talk loudly over the teacher or anything, but he was just so&hellip;trying to impress everyone by raising his hand and making comments during the discussion.&rdquo;

Mario, who had been present and had taken a liking to Mark, was about to say that it was due to Mark&rsquo;s comments that encouraged the other students to speak and which facilitated an open discussion all hour. But seeing Kim so annoyed, he backed off so as not to have his own head chewed off. Roommate or not.

&ldquo;So did you remember what you forgot?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Yeah&hellip;&rdquo; Kim hesitantly answered.

&ldquo;What was it?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Nothing important.&rdquo; Kim made a face at the memory of her humiliation. After class she had sped outside but heard Mark calling her.

&ldquo;Hey, Kim!&rdquo;

Huffing impatiently, she asked sharply, &ldquo;Yes?&rdquo;

He paused, taken aback by her tone. &ldquo;I just thought you might want to know&hellip;your tag is still on.&rdquo;

&ldquo;What&hellip;?&rdquo; Kim gasped and reached back to grab the tag of the shirt that she had borrowed, remembering that Mai had a habit of never ripping off the price tags until she wore her clothes for the first time. &ldquo;Damn.&rdquo;

Mark chuckled and was about to say something but Kim cut in.

&ldquo;Thanks. See ya.&rdquo; She hurried away, embarrassed.

Kim shook her head. &ldquo;Anyway, I have one more class. Later girl.&rdquo;

Mai&rsquo;s eyes wandered through the auditorium and decided to seat herself down in the front. She always knew that she&rsquo;d pay more attention that way.

&ldquo;Where are you going?&rdquo; Marcus asked Om when Om got up.

&ldquo;Uh&hellip;I think I&rsquo;ll sit down there today.&rdquo; He grabbed his backpack and nimbly passed by the other students until he reached his target, where he attempted to smoothly slip unnoticed into the seat beside her, but she turned her head just as his bottom reached the chair.

&ldquo;Om!&rdquo;

&ldquo;Oh hey! Didn&rsquo;t see you there.&rdquo; He waved before putting his hand down quickly to minimize his awkwardness.

&ldquo;I know, this is such a big class. Have you any idea how the professor is?&rdquo;

&ldquo;According to ratemyprofessors dot com, she seems intimidating but most people like her.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Rate my professors dot com?&rdquo; Mai nodded slowly, planning to store the website away in her mind for future use. &ldquo;Is this your first chemistry class to?&rdquo;

Om nodded. &ldquo;I hadn&rsquo;t declared a major last year but now I know I want to become a physical therapist, so here I am.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Nice. So we&rsquo;re both biomed majors! I won&rsquo;t have to suffer chemistry alone!&rdquo; She raised her hand for a high five, which he amusedly responded to. &ldquo;When does hockey season start?&rdquo;

&ldquo;In about a month.&rdquo; Both of them glowed with excitement.

&ldquo;There you are!&rdquo; Yaya said as Mai came in and was pleasantly surprised to see Nadech with Yaya.

&ldquo;Soooo?&rdquo; Mai said, kicking off her shoes. &ldquo;How was the first day for both of you?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Fantastic!&rdquo; Yaya said.

&ldquo;What she said,&rdquo; Nadech agreed. &ldquo;And we have a class together too!&rdquo;

&ldquo;Cool! I was super relieved too because I met Om in chem.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Nadech!&rdquo; Mario knocked and stuck his head in. &ldquo;Hurry, we have gym class in fifteen!&rdquo;

&ldquo;I&rsquo;ll see you later,&rdquo; Nadech retrieved his backpack and left with Mario, who had not lost any time in making friends with all the people he&rsquo;d met during the first weekend.

&ldquo;Oh hey, I got a charger that can charge TWO ipods at the same time. Because we are going to be super roommates!&rdquo; Yaya exclaimed and Mai laughed.

&ldquo;Girl. You. Rock.&rdquo; Mai announced appreciatively. &ldquo;You know that I love you?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Duh. That&rsquo;s just obvious.&rdquo;

Mai snickered. &ldquo;You AND Nadech, I don&rsquo;t tell you both that enough. I should just have you two tell it to each other and save myself the trouble.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Yeah,&rdquo; Yaya joked drily. &ldquo;That wouldn&rsquo;t be weird at all, me and Nadech just saying &lsquo;I love you&rsquo; randomly for your sake.&rdquo;

At this, Mai leaned back in her chair and gazed at Yaya closely.

&ldquo;What?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Nothing,&rdquo; Mai said, although she was secretly tickled by the idea in her mind of how cute it would be if Yaya and Nadech were together.

Yaya watched suspiciously as Mai&rsquo;s smile grow bigger. &ldquo;Okaaay, as long as it stays as &lsquo;nothing&rsquo;.&rdquo;

---
Mai tapped her chin, deliberating between the snacks in the mini convenience store in Yulli Center, and she felt something brush her shoulder. She looked up and immediately smiled. &ldquo;Hi Weir!&rdquo;

&ldquo;So, what&rsquo;cha getting?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Food,&rdquo; she said in a squeaky voice, &ldquo;I love eating.&rdquo;

He laughed. &ldquo;Gotta keep up your energy for class right? The smoothies here are good.&rdquo;

&ldquo;OoOoO. I&rsquo;ve been eyeing the mango smoothie. And this,&rdquo; she snatched a bag of Doritos and they went to the cash register. He surprised her when he told the cashier to put it all together. &ldquo;What, no, you don&rsquo;t have to&mdash;&ldquo;

&ldquo;It&rsquo;s fine.&rdquo; He grinned. &ldquo;My treat. Gotta look out for the little buddies right?&rdquo; He gave her a friendly nudge and handed her food over, then waved bye.

&ldquo;Well, no fearing you&rsquo;re going to obsessively keep everything he buys you and not wash your hands if he shakes it,&rdquo; Kim scoffed as Mai slurped the smoothie till nothing was left.

&ldquo;He was so right! The smoothies are good,&rdquo; she happily sighed. &ldquo;I&rsquo;m feeling ready do some serious work.&rdquo; She gasped. &ldquo;Oh, I work later!&rdquo; She had procured a job as one of the desk assistants for Clark Hall&rsquo;s front desk; responsibilities included greeting people, answering people&rsquo;s questions and assisting the student residents with what they needed&hellip;overall a pretty easy job actually. Her first evening of work had allowed her free time to even finish up her homework.

&ldquo;Good luck girl!&rdquo; Kim hollered.

&ldquo;&hellip;and then Emily actually went up to that guy and asked him out, but it wasn&rsquo;t to hook him up with Lisa like she said she would. Instead, she asked him out on a date with herself can you believe how mean she is?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Omg, what a slut,&rdquo; Mario shook his head with disgust.

&ldquo;I know.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Is Lisa ok? Gosh, ever since I saw her whining after Justin I&rsquo;ve kind of wondered if she&rsquo;d be like this. Not that I like to judge people&mdash;&ldquo;

&ldquo;But turns out you were right,&rdquo; Lily said.

He nodded, &ldquo;I just wanna give Emily a slap on the face.&rdquo;

Yaya looked at Mario in surprise, while he and their friend Lily finished up their gossip and Lily left for class. Yaya glanced over from memorizing her speech. Mario reached for a Twizzler that they had out while working on homework and caught her studying him.

&ldquo;What?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Just found it interesting how in tune you are with the gossip of campus.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Oh, can you believe what Emily did? I hope I never have to deal with the likes of her.&rdquo;
Yaya continued to ponder. It was arguable that Mario was extremely popular with the ladies, and though he was certainly good looking, girls became more appreciative to his charms as a friend after the initial physical attraction, along with the fact that he never gave off a flirtatious behavior but was always prepared to listen, talk, give advice, or simply gossip. Then she decided to ask, &ldquo;Um&hellip;are you gay? Oh, and you don&rsquo;t have to answer if you don&rsquo;t want to, it&rsquo;s a personal question. Plus, I hope you&rsquo;re not offended.&rdquo;

Mario laughed. &ldquo;Why would I be offended?&rdquo;

Yaya chuckled softly. &ldquo;I don&rsquo;t think it&rsquo;s a bad thing either, it&rsquo;s just some men are like that, they get uncomfortable being asked that and I didn&rsquo;t want you to think I was&hellip;judging you or stereotyping you for being so&hellip;fond of things girls are,&rdquo; she winced, &ldquo;&hellip;um, so&hellip;?&rdquo;

&ldquo;No, I&rsquo;m not gay. At least, I&rsquo;m pretty sure, but you know, sometimes these things change, but as for now I&rsquo;m sure like one hundred percent I&rsquo;m hot for girls.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Oh, okay.&rdquo; They chuckled in good nature.

&ldquo;I guess the short and normal explanation is that I&rsquo;m just in touch with my feminine side, plus I like drama,&rdquo; he crossed his arms comfortably with an afterthought, &ldquo;That, and I grew up with four sisters, plus Margie.&rdquo;

Yaya nodded in understanding of his situation.

&ldquo;Did I hear my name?&rdquo; Margie asked, dropping her bag full of sketchbooks and paintbrushes on the table.

Author's note------
Hope you all had a great weekend! I went camping! :) As Kiki suggested, characters are listed on the first post. If I happen to get these kids through their first year of college, I'm going to add more, heh heh heh...

jjinxx

shengvang

sarNie Adult
THANK YOU SO MUCH JJINXX. I LOVE ALL THE CAST IN HERE! GOSH I SWEAR, READING YOUR FF IS LIKE WATCHING IT. YOU'RE SUCH AN AMAZING WRITER! :)

jjinxx

Chapter 5

Three weeks into the semester, the newbies were settled into the steady grind of college. There were endless discoveries, new freedoms to be tested and appreciated, new worldly ideas to be enlightened by and best of all, new friends to bond with.

Mai was pleasantly surprised that the chemistry class she had dreaded so wasn&rsquo;t too bad after all.

&ldquo;Not that it&rsquo;s easy by any means, but Dr. Maxima is such a good no-nonsense and dedicated professor that I&rsquo;m actually enthusiastic about learning,&rdquo; she said between spoons of yogurt. She, Yaya, Kim and Margie were occupying one side of the basement lounge with their homework spread all around them on Sunday, the day which had become their unofficial group homework day.

Margie contentedly dotted an i on her page, curled against a cushion beside the couch. She was surprised to have found herself used to the company of the girls so fast, since she wasn&rsquo;t usually acquainted with new people easily.

One day, the three of them had dropped by her room to ask her to dinner in the commons. Margie had been too surprised to agree, so she told them she had a drawing to work on, which led to them asking to see it. Feeling horribly embarrassed, she shyly let them in to see her sketch of the little park in the south corner of campus. The girls admired it and asked to see more, and being Kim, Yaya and Mai, who were kind, sincere, charming and determined to form a friendship with Margie, whom all three thought would be a sweet friend, they somehow persuaded her to eat dinner with them in the end.

&ldquo;Well if I had a gorgeous CA to study with, I&rsquo;d be enthusiastic about class too,&rdquo; Kim remarked suggestively, but Mai didn&rsquo;t catch on to her teasing as she glanced to the window of the pool room where Weir, Great and a friend were playing.

&ldquo;Guess who just nailed her interview?&rdquo; Taew announced, walking in with a flourish.

Yaya gasped, &ldquo;You got accepted?&rdquo;

&ldquo;As I knew I would.&rdquo; Taew beamed as the girls congratulated her for obtaining a volunteer position at the local Paine Theater.

&ldquo;What happened?&rdquo; Nadech entered with Mario and Mark.

Kim&rsquo;s and Mark&rsquo;s eyes met and just as he&rsquo;d wondered for the past two to three weeks, Mark was unsure why she looked like she was just barely tolerating seeing his face. But he thought it was hilarious somehow and went out of his way to annoy her.

&ldquo;Taew got her volunteer job.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Nice. Mario was just saying he applied for a job at Chapter Zero.&rdquo;

&ldquo;I love that book store!&rdquo; Yaya gushed. &ldquo;We were just there the other day&mdash;&ldquo;

&ldquo;And I had to drag her ass out of there before she became addicted to the smell of book paper,&rdquo; Kim said.

&ldquo;It&rsquo;s too late,&rdquo; Yaya declared, &ldquo;I&rsquo;m addicted and there&rsquo;s no cure.&rdquo; She&rsquo;d been reading the whole time the others were doing homework, since she always kept up with her own homework.

&ldquo;Ugh! Watch where you&rsquo;re going,&rdquo; Kim snarled when Mark &lsquo;accidently&rsquo; bumped her, so that her pencil drew a line through her paper.

&ldquo;Why don&rsquo;t YOU watch where I&rsquo;m going?&rdquo; He raised his brow.

She flipped her hair and grumpily went on with her work. Mark bit back a grin, falling back into a chair.

&ldquo;Have you done all your homework already?&rdquo; Mai asked Nadech.

&ldquo;Yes ma&rsquo;am,&rdquo; he saluted, then reached in his backpack for a pack of oreos. &ldquo;I brought you girls these because I thought you&rsquo;d like a break. And to celebrate Taew&rsquo;s success.&rdquo;

The girls excitedly scooted together to share the cookies. &ldquo;Thanks Nadech!&rdquo; &ldquo;You&rsquo;re the best!&rdquo; &ldquo;Ohmagosh, you&rsquo;re awesome!&rdquo;

&ldquo;What&rsquo;s so good about Nadech?&rdquo; Mark demanded, pretending to glare resentfully at Nadech.

&ldquo;Uh, he&rsquo;s a sweetheart and awesome!&rdquo; Taew said.

&ldquo;Well he&rsquo;s not the only one of that species,&rdquo; Mark said, pointing to himself.

The girls looked at him, then shook their heads. &ldquo;No, you can never be like Nadech.&rdquo;

He rolled his eyes. &ldquo;Dude, when did you get those and where&rsquo;s mine?&rdquo; Mark asked, as he hadn&rsquo;t seen Nadech buy anything while they were out.

&ldquo;This morning,&rdquo; Nadech replied, quite unaware that he was adored by the girls because of his consideration, so that their male friends half-resented him even while not being able help love him as a friend too.

Class had just ended, allowing Kim to stack her notebook and textbook together before putting them in her purple Jansport backpack.

&ldquo;Hey, if you&rsquo;re not busy, come join our party this weekend,&rdquo; Kent, a brown-haired, blue-eyed guy sitting next to Kim said.

&ldquo;Cool. Where is it?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Our frat house. Saturday at 7 till whenever. Bring friends.&rdquo; He winked and they gathered their materials as class ended.

&ldquo;Did Kent ask you to the party too?&rdquo; Lily asked, obviously excited. &ldquo;You&rsquo;re going right? Please be there with me, it&rsquo;ll be fun!&rdquo;

&ldquo;For sure. And I&rsquo;ll bring the other girls.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Yes! Okay, gotta head to the other side of campus.&rdquo;

&ldquo;&hellip;see you at the party!&rdquo; Kim heard Mark call to one of his pals. She made a face.

&ldquo;Hey, I saw that,&rdquo; Mark reached her side.

&ldquo;Saw what?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Your ENTHUSIASM that I&rsquo;ll be at Kent&rsquo;s party too,&rdquo; he smirked.

&ldquo;Puh-lease. And I thought I&rsquo;d actually get a weekend free of the Clark guys,&rdquo; the &lsquo;Clark guys&rsquo; being the regular guy friends in Clark Hall.

&ldquo;Kim,&rdquo; Mark crossed his arms seriously, &ldquo;a party isn&rsquo;t a party without me there.&rdquo; He swooped closely past her cheesily, while she made faces at his back.

&ldquo;Thirsty Thursday?&rdquo; Beau asked in awe when Mario informed her why there was a party on a school night.

&ldquo;OMG! We&rsquo;re really going to a party with a bunch of college kids where there will definitely be alcohol. This is so cool!&rdquo;

&ldquo;I thought you weren&rsquo;t going to drink because you have a quiz to study for,&rdquo; Yaya said to Mario.

&ldquo;Yeah, but the idea that I&rsquo;ll be experiencing the college party life is still just as thrilling.&rdquo;

They reached the front of Delta Sigma Pi House where Kent ushered them into a crowded living area. Music blasted loudly and people were obviously drunk or getting there.

&ldquo;Here!&rdquo; Kent led them to a table full of liquor bottles and beer. &ldquo;Help yourselves!&rdquo; before he was swept away by some girls.

The group hesitated until Taew finally poured a shot and downed it. &ldquo;Ugh. That&rsquo;s disgusting,&rdquo; to which they laughed and finally relaxed.

&ldquo;Ya&rsquo;ll don&rsquo;t get too crazy now,&rdquo; Mario warned. &ldquo;And if anyone gets drunk enough to throw up, I&rsquo;m whooping their ass, got it?&rdquo; He definitely looked like he meant it, and they all agreed not to have more than one mixed drink.

&ldquo;Yaya you don&rsquo;t want any?&rdquo; Mai asked.

&ldquo;Nah.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Good for you,&rdquo; Great said as he swung by to say hi, &ldquo;I was never able to resist my curiosity. Weir&rsquo;s around here somewhere, just so you guys know.&rdquo; Great giddily moved off with purpose to another area. Roaming around and saying hi to some of the familiar faces, the group loosened up a bit and blended in with the crowd.

Some time later, Yaya came down from the restroom and on her way to the backyard to rejoin the others, a guy tugged her by the hand.

&ldquo;Come on, let&rsquo;s dance.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Um, no thank you, I have to find my friends.&rdquo;

&ldquo;They&rsquo;re big kids, they&rsquo;ll be fine. You girl, you&rsquo;re hot. Show me what you can do.&rdquo;

Trying not to panic, Yaya pulled away but he persisted.

&ldquo;Yaya! There you are. Come on.&rdquo; Before she or the white guy could react, Nadech had pulled her by the arm outside.

&ldquo;Oh my gosh, thank goodness you came,&rdquo; she breathed deeply, more alarmed by the encounter than she would have thought.

&ldquo;Stay with us and don&rsquo;t wander alone, okay?&rdquo;

She nodded, lips pursed in a grateful smile.

Mai was looking for a classmate when she saw something that made her wheel right back around and go outside.

&ldquo;Mai!&rdquo; Kim caught up to her. &ldquo;You saw him didn&rsquo;t you?&rdquo;

Mai nodded, trying not to think about the sight of Weir kissing a nameless woman on the couch in the living room. She knew she didn't have the right to feel bad, and it wasn't that she felt overtly disappointed since she had never expressed her feelings for Weir directly to him before...it had more to do with the awkward feeling of having a crush on a guy and seeing him with his girlfriend that she had no idea existed before.
Guess a warning would have been nice, Mai sighed.

&ldquo;You okay girl?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Yeah,&rdquo; Mai chuckled. &ldquo;No biggie. Just&hellip;a bit unexpected I guess.&rdquo;

Kim pouted in sympathy. &ldquo;There&rsquo;s plenty of fish in the sea, don&rsquo;t worry. Let&rsquo;s go.&rdquo;

&ldquo;No, I&rsquo;m actually getting tired. I think I&rsquo;ll head back.&rdquo;

&ldquo;I&rsquo;ll go with you. Let&rsquo;s round everyone up.&rdquo;

Just then, they witnessed Taew shove a guy into the pool. She brushed herself off, reaching Kim and Mai. &ldquo;I&rsquo;m so done with this party. You?&rdquo;

&ldquo;We were just about to go find everyone. Did he&mdash;&ldquo;

&ldquo;Don&rsquo;t worry. I taught him a lesson before he committed his crime,&rdquo; Taew smirked. &ldquo;Oi! Mark! Get dummy over here, we&rsquo;re leaving!&rdquo;

&ldquo;Who are you calling dummy?&rdquo; Mario yelled. He and Taew bickered right up to the steps of their dorm until Mark told them to stop.

&ldquo;Dang, don&rsquo;t your mouths ever get tired?&rdquo;

Mario scoffed. &ldquo;Is that the pot calling the kettle black? You even talk in your sleep.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Psh,&rdquo; Mark snorted.

---
Mai was behind the front desk, zoning out when she heard the door that led to the back area close.

&ldquo;Hey Mai. How was the party?&rdquo; Om hadn&rsquo;t been able to attend since he had CA duty last night.

&ldquo;Oh, it was pretty fun. Not sure it&rsquo;s my kind of scene, but you know, it was&hellip;interesting.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Same here. But it&rsquo;s one of those things people like to experience huh?&rdquo;

She nodded, then hesitated before asking, &ldquo;Um, Om?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Yeah?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Does&hellip;Weir have a girlfriend?&rdquo;

&ldquo;No.&rdquo; He shut the binder he was filling out. &ldquo;But he is talking with this girl that he works with. I think they&rsquo;re almost together.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Oh,&rdquo; she nodded like it was casual open information.

Om fell silent and glanced at her, just realizing that she must like Weir. Heart sinking, he drummed his fingers on the desk while thinking what to say. &ldquo;So you&hellip;like him?&rdquo;

She winced sheepishly. &ldquo;I kind of have a crush on him, but it looks pointless now.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Oh.&rdquo; Om gulped.

She took a deep breath and smiled up at him, &ldquo;But I&rsquo;m sure I shouldn&rsquo;t be worrying about stuff like this what with all the studying I should be doing. Right?&rdquo; She laughed softly, and he half-smiled, though her comment meant he didn&rsquo;t have a chance either.

&ldquo;Hem&hellip;What about Nadech? I thought you two&hellip;?&rdquo; He quirked a brow at her.

Mai&rsquo;s mouth fell open, &ldquo;Oh, no way! He&rsquo;s just a really close friend.&rdquo; Never having thought that anyone would even ask about her and Nadech questioningly, Mai had to laugh, lighting up the atmosphere a little.

Om gave a silent sigh of relief. Well, that was one less rival. &ldquo;Late shift tonight?&rdquo;

&ldquo;Till midnight.&rdquo;

He gestured at her textbook. &ldquo;Mind if I do the homework with you?&rdquo;

&ldquo;That would be awesome!&rdquo; Her mood changed, to his pleasure and they puzzled out the structure and properties of atoms until her shift was up.

&ldquo;Not asleep yet?&rdquo; Mai asked seeing Yaya sitting on their bottom bunk.

&ldquo;Caaaan&rsquo;t. Must finish this book.&rdquo; Yaya squealed when she was hit by the pillow Mai tossed at her.

&ldquo;Go to bed, you&rsquo;re going to be so tired tomorrow.&rdquo;

&ldquo;What are you so happy about?&rdquo; Yaya asked, marking her spot in the book and yawning.

Mai paused while gathering her toothbrush. &ldquo;I dunno.&rdquo; She&rsquo;d been talking to Om the whole time and before she knew it, Weir was out of her mind. She shrugged.

---
The next night, Om had picked up one of the other students&rsquo; desk shifts. Trying not to nod off into sleep, he made himself stand up and shake out his body, stretching his arms and legs. After a loud yawn that stretched his jaw and squeezed his eyes close, he opened them and found, to his embarrassment, Mai standing in front of him, clearly trying to hold back a grin at seeing his little stretch routine.

Om cleared his throat roughly, praying that his face wasn&rsquo;t as red as it felt. &ldquo;Um, wh-what&rsquo;s up? Did you need anything?&rdquo;

&ldquo;I saw that you have a late shift and since I know there&rsquo;s not really anything going on at this time I thought I&rsquo;d keep you company.&rdquo;

He frowned solemnly. &ldquo;That won&rsquo;t be necessary. I have to set a good example as CA and not have visitors at the desk.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Oh.&rdquo; She nodded, taken aback. &ldquo;Uh--yeah, that&rsquo;s fine.&rdquo;

Before she turned away in disappointment, Om laughed. &ldquo;Just kidding. I was about to fall asleep please stay,&rdquo; he pleaded with puppy eyes.

Mai knew she was smiling, but she was not aware that most of the reason for it was not his joke but simply being with him.

Kim was coming out from the bathroom that night when she heard a loud singing voice coming up the stairs. Passing by the stairwell, her face fell at the sight of Mark.

He noticed her and halted. &ldquo;Hey.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Do you know how thin these walls are? Could you refrain from interrupting people&rsquo;s sleep with your voice so loud?&rdquo;

He smirked. &ldquo;Did I wake you?&rdquo;

&ldquo;No, I was in the bathroom.&rdquo;

&ldquo;Oh, so it&rsquo;s not sleep I&rsquo;m interrupting, but your toilet business?&rdquo; He snorted at her affronted face. &ldquo;I&rsquo;ll be more careful next time. Carry on with your midnight toilet activities&hellip;&rdquo; He added in a semi-whisper purposely loud enough for her to hear, &ldquo;&hellip;No wonder she&rsquo;s always in such a bad mood. Midnight constipation must suck.&rdquo;

&ldquo;I do not have constipation!&rdquo;

&ldquo;Shh,&rdquo; he gestured at her from up the stairs, &ldquo;These walls are thin, don&rsquo;tcha know?&rdquo; before continuing in a jolly mood to his room, leaving Kim irately stalking back to her room.

Author's note------
@Dancy: Mai is the best friend that was referred to. Thanks for reading!
@D~D: lol sorry, not this time. I must first fulfill my dream with Om and Mai first!
@Kiki: hon, you'll probably have a while until Yadech become an official couple but I am including their relationship as friends frist ^^
@Kennann fan: Thanks dear! I did try to put a lot of effort into creating chemistry betwee all the cast <3

jjinxx
edit----
I suppose it's about time I include images of the cast. Here is Kim to bid you a great day until next time!

cr: Kim's ig

ukepearl

sarNie Hatchling
omg. jinx is back!! . i am legit in love with you <3 you are such an amazing writer!! i just got started reading this cause of exams.. but seriously - i am inlove with this hahahah updaate soon and i shall love you forever!! <3 xxx uke