Lao-US citizens slain in execution-style killing

2cute2care

sarNie Juvenile
Just thought i would share this news, i am sure many have already heard of this already but for those who haven't here it is
NILA SINGKHIRI & THAWEESAK BUTCHAN

Ubon Ratchathani _ Two Lao-born American men were shot dead in Ubon Ratchathani on Wednesday in what was believed to be a murder linked to an anti-Vientiane resistance movement. Somwang Kaewmaneewong, 65, and Sukan Wichathep, 61, were the victims of an execution-style killing by a man who shot them both in the head. The victims were attacked while they were waiting for their bags at Ubon Ratchathani provincial bus terminal on Wednesday.

The victims had boarded a bus from Laos' Champassak province to Ubon Ratchathani where they were to take a flight to Bangkok before flying back to the US.
Karuna Chokpreecha, 39, Somwang's wife, was with the victims at the bus terminal. She said the gunman, wearing a black cap, fled on a waiting motorcycle after the attack.
They had left the US on Oct 17 and were scheduled to return yesterday. She said the victims had no personal conflicts with anybody.

Police believed both men might be victims of the suppression of the Lao resistance movement. Some photos, one of Somwang getting engaged and another of two women, were found on his body. Retrieved from Sukan was his identification card as a state of Oregon information officer.
Pol Col Kasemsak Hachanee, of Ubon Ratchathani police, said the killings resembled previous murders of Lao resistance movement members.

Pol Col Kriangsak Raksasat, deputy superintendent of Ubon Ratchathani police and head of the investigation team, said police had questioned 10 witnesses. The investigators did not rule out political and business conflicts as possible motives for the killings. Khammai Wichathep, Sukan's younger brother, told police that his brother used to be a police officer attached to Wang Tao checkpoint in Laos while Somwang was a former soldier in Pakse town. During the Lao revolution, the two men sought political asylum in the US and later ran a photo-frame business in Oregon. They had re-visited Laos several times before they were killed.
A source within the police investigation team said the killing style was similar to that of Arthit Klinchan, who was earlier caught in connection with the murder of a Lao couple in Ubon Ratchathani. Arthit, 25, was arrested in Udon Thani province on May 24. He was also linked to a series of murders of several Lao US citizens who were members of the movement opposing the Lao government.

Credit to
http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/15Dec2006_news13.php

exp0

sarNie Juvenile
Wait a minute... isn't Ubon in Thailand?

I have heard alot of Lao tourists getting killed in the Isaan region, because they say they are "Lao Viengchan", not "Lao Isaan".

`moey_

Siwon & Donghae =
i heard about this when my dad was listening to radio free asia.. this is sooo sad..when will this stop.. i think i know wat movement they are talking about.. my dad have friends that where in that movement.. but my dad didnt join tho..

noungning

Heartless
have heard alot of Lao tourists getting killed in the Isaan region, because they say they are "Lao Viengchan", not "Lao Isaan".
i don't think this has to do with what you are referring to, but it's crazy because this all boils down to freedom of speech and practice, but it's not possible in a foreign country other than usa. people have to be careful of that they say and how they act towards the political stance or this can happen.

i was in thailand, nongkhai where that first killing incident happened, but i didn't get killed. it doesn't necessarily mean that i'm lao traveling on the thai issarn area and i will be killed because i'm lao and not issan.

exp0

sarNie Juvenile
You are right. What do I really know? I have heard all kinds of stories of people visiting Laos, travelling to and from. I for one still haven't visit Laos, but I will soon after I graduate.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
man, i seriously dodged the bullets on my way up huh. RIP and knock hard on heaven's doors. :(

shubby

sarNie Adult
i don't know, but it's all about Political issues..you have to becareful of your words...

Ceryna2001

sarNie Hatchling
Just thought i would share this news, i am sure many have already heard of this already but for those who haven't here it is
NILA SINGKHIRI & THAWEESAK BUTCHAN

Ubon Ratchathani _ Two Lao-born American men were shot dead in Ubon Ratchathani on Wednesday in what was believed to be a murder linked to an anti-Vientiane resistance movement. Somwang Kaewmaneewong, 65, and Sukan Wichathep, 61, were the victims of an execution-style killing by a man who shot them both in the head. The victims were attacked while they were waiting for their bags at Ubon Ratchathani provincial bus terminal on Wednesday.

The victims had boarded a bus from Laos' Champassak province to Ubon Ratchathani where they were to take a flight to Bangkok before flying back to the US.
Karuna Chokpreecha, 39, Somwang's wife, was with the victims at the bus terminal. She said the gunman, wearing a black cap, fled on a waiting motorcycle after the attack.
They had left the US on Oct 17 and were scheduled to return yesterday. She said the victims had no personal conflicts with anybody.

Police believed both men might be victims of the suppression of the Lao resistance movement. Some photos, one of Somwang getting engaged and another of two women, were found on his body. Retrieved from Sukan was his identification card as a state of Oregon information officer.
Pol Col Kasemsak Hachanee, of Ubon Ratchathani police, said the killings resembled previous murders of Lao resistance movement members.

Pol Col Kriangsak Raksasat, deputy superintendent of Ubon Ratchathani police and head of the investigation team, said police had questioned 10 witnesses. The investigators did not rule out political and business conflicts as possible motives for the killings. Khammai Wichathep, Sukan's younger brother, told police that his brother used to be a police officer attached to Wang Tao checkpoint in Laos while Somwang was a former soldier in Pakse town. During the Lao revolution, the two men sought political asylum in the US and later ran a photo-frame business in Oregon. They had re-visited Laos several times before they were killed.
A source within the police investigation team said the killing style was similar to that of Arthit Klinchan, who was earlier caught in connection with the murder of a Lao couple in Ubon Ratchathani. Arthit, 25, was arrested in Udon Thani province on May 24. He was also linked to a series of murders of several Lao US citizens who were members of the movement opposing the Lao government.
Credit to
http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/15Dec2006_news13.php
My parent know these two Laos ppll that were kill....They went to Laos and marry a younger girl there...it just happen that the GIRL's Boyfriend hired some ppll to kill them....There were alots of ppll there and they only kill these two guy, their wife was also there too...would they kill the whole family off if it was politic? When the police want to close the case quick they would alway say it's political, if they don't say that, they have to investigate until it solve because I know the American embrassy would make them..Another thing is they have to remember tourist bring in money...if they say someone can hire a guy to kill off tourist...how many ppll would go to that country..
I don't mean to say bad about the death, But my relatives say that sometime guy who goes to Laos would talk big and show off just because they have money...sometime it would make the guy in Laos mad...and u don't know how mad a guy can get sometime. (I think these guy already have a wife in Oregon and they went to Laos to get another wife)

gloria

sarNie Juvenile
a lot of asian-american who visited laos has been murdered in the past years..some of them were never solved..but for sure most of them were due to political reasons during the lao-vietnam war era..u know what i'm saying..this isn't the first time i've heard of american citizens getting murder in broad daylight..

i guess old enemies from the past have probably just caught up to them or something..

Phon

sarNie Adult
My dad brother friend use to live in Thailand but he left to Laos. He said he was to poor in Thailand didnt have his own rice field like when he was ain Laos. He left and never return no one heard from him since. Now no one can just disappear like that. I know for sure he was taken away and killed somewhere especially becuase he a former royal lao soilders. Thats why my dad brother dont want to go back in laos and my dad dont want him to go back he told him stay where he is now and thats Ubol Thailand. He never got chance come to USA he got left behind my family the lucky one who got to come. My dad said he doesnt want to go visit laos he is scared becuase he is also a former lao soilder. He said even though it seems calm now but if they know your a former soilders your life will always be at risk. They will still try to wipe out the old lao people from the past they are affraid you will go to laos and cuase problem when some just go to visit thier families. :angry:

arissa

sarNie Elites
mY dad used to be a former Lao soldier..until we fled the country...back in the early 80's..I am soo freaking scare now..I am in the process of geting everything ready to go to Laos..Will they remember my last name....jahaahhaha..and try to kill me too?????please dont consider this a silly or stupid question..but I am very concern now..

vonni

sarNie Egg
^unless you're a rebel or a threat to the govt, then no. laos is a very safe country

Wait a minute... isn't Ubon in Thailand?

I have heard alot of Lao tourists getting killed in the Isaan region, because they say they are "Lao Viengchan", not "Lao Isaan".
no i don't think that validates a murder. if there is any muder in laos, it would be because of your political views, rebels or you are getting robbed. but today laos is a very safe country, it all depends where you visit though. just like if you goto america, majority of the place is safe not until you cross into the bronx, inglewood, compton etc ..

i don't think this has to do with what you are referring to, but it's crazy because this all boils down to freedom of speech and practice, but it's not possible in a foreign country other than usa. people have to be careful of that they say and how they act towards the political stance or this can happen.

i was in thailand, nongkhai where that first killing incident happened, but i didn't get killed. it doesn't necessarily mean that i'm lao traveling on the thai issarn area and i will be killed because i'm lao and not issan.
yeah i agree, thats what happens in a communist nation. there was news on a muder or a couple who claim to have blood relations of the former king. saying stuff like that will get you killed.

you mix with the wrong crowd and shit will hit the fan.

a lot of asian-american who visited laos has been murdered in the past years..some of them were never solved..but for sure most of them were due to political reasons during the lao-vietnam war era..u know what i'm saying..this isn't the first time i've heard of american citizens getting murder in broad daylight..

i guess old enemies from the past have probably just caught up to them or something..
i doubt there have been "a lot" of murders, i've only read maybe about not even half a dozen articles on lao people getting murdered over political stuf and i haven't read any non laotian-american tourist getting murdered, it's always another laotian. maybe the vientiane times cover this up so well.. no doubt with the amount of corruption in laos, the govt will turn these kinds of things a blind eye.