Lao Alphabet

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
-The Lao writing system evolved from Sanskrit. It was first taken by the Khmers during the time of the Angkor Empire then adapted by the Laotians, Northern Thais, and Central Thais into individual though similar alphabets. These alphabets are composed of letters with their own sounds, and are read from left to right like English.

-The Lao alphabet has been reformed several times over the past 50 years. The number of consonant letters was reduced so that words can be read phonetically. This was done so that non-Lao ethnic groups could read the language more easily. The result is that the Lao system doesn't follow Sanskrit as closely as Thai in the spelling of high-level (religious, academic) words, so the Sanskrit origin can't be seen.

Credit to http://www.thailao.net/laofacts.htm

noiki

sarNie Hatchling
i'm glad our alphabet doesn't have that many consanants. the thai one, i know they have a whole lotta old letters that new letters work the same for. it's just harder to learn cuz there's so much.

i'm just glad we still retained our alphabet and people haven't romanized it trying to make it easier for them to read. ex: vietnamese, hmong, etc

dfemc

sarNie Adult
hey vilaseng,
do u know of any place where i can get laotian literature? any place that i could possibly order from? u know stuff with old stories and folktales, but in laotian. i figure u might know. :D

Vanida

Save World Save Life
thx for sharing vilaseng....its cool if u can write in your language i wish i can write something lol

vilasaeng

sarNie Juvenile
Yeah I wish I could read and write the only things that I know how to write is my name..

Oh ps.. Vanida.. I'll email your request by tomorrow....sorry for the delay...

onahc

sarNie Elites
vilasaeng said:
-The Lao writing system evolved from Sanskrit. It was first taken by the Khmers during the time of the Angkor Empire then adapted by the Laotians, Northern Thais, and Central Thais into individual though similar alphabets. These alphabets are composed of letters with their own sounds, and are read from left to right like English.

-The Lao alphabet has been reformed several times over the past 50 years. The number of consonant letters was reduced so that words can be read phonetically. This was done so that non-Lao ethnic groups could read the language more easily. The result is that the Lao system doesn't follow Sanskrit as closely as Thai in the spelling of high-level (religious, academic) words, so the Sanskrit origin can't be seen.
Credit to http://www.thailao.net/laofacts.htm
[post="30472"][/post]​
Hey, thanx so much for sharing, It's great to know where our alphabet really came from. Now I can prove it to many of my friends that Lao alphabet did not originated from Thai alphabet ...

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
u got it 2.kewl...i didn't see any at ta-lat sao..i got mine.from that one tall building.. i dun what its called... :)

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
i don't knoe what its called.i don't think it's ta-lat sao though...
but it's that big tall building near ta-lat sao.. you pay 3000 kip to go inside.. i think it's at least five story high.. they sell stuff inside.. that's where i got it from.. :)

arissa

sarNie Elites
I always wanted to learn the Lao Alphabet....Does anyone know where I can get a hold of the book...or at least ....a copy of the alphabet....Thanks

2cute2care

sarNie Juvenile
i used to go to lao school, every sunday morning but quit becoz my teacher was a total ___________(fill in blank yourself)
so i am only write my name, worlds like eyes, fish, cat dog..etc, kiddie stuff...lol

its actually quite interesting the shape of the letters, i like it :D