LA Thaitown New Year festival

pokie

sarNie Hatchling
I wanted to go to La for the new year festival. Wondering if anyone know the dates that they will have the celebration? I need to take those day off from work and book a hotel room.

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
yea I wanan know too =) I went to a watt today and their somtom sucks haha I wonder if the watt in thaitown has better somtom

teeRuk

^^YuMMy^^
mmmmmmmmm wat thai has the best som tum ever...some chicken and sticky rice and thai tea to go along with it..yummy=] cant wait for new years=] hehe

dfemc

sarNie Adult
Thai New Year's Day - Nuts for Mutts
http://losangeles.about.com/od/eventsgreat...ntsapr305_3.htm

- Thai New Year's Day -- Songkran Festival - East Hollywood -

4/3 11:00AM
Free community event

Thai New Year's Festival Location
Hollywood Boulevard
Between Western Ave and Kingsley Drive
East Hollywood, CA 90027
800-921-2595

Outside of Thailand, Los Angeles has the largest communities of Thais. On Hollywood Blvd between Western and Normandie is a stretch of Thai businesses known as "Thai Town." There are over 50 Thai organizations and clubs in the LA that all have hosted various events in the past. In 2003 it was decided to pool their resources and hold one grand event, Thai New Year's Day, the Songkran Festival on the first Sunday of April.

Festival activities include opening ceremonies where Buddhist Monks give blessings and a 200-pound pad thai will be made in a huge six foot wok, There will also be Thai dancing, Thai music, Thai costume contest, cultural workshops, Thai sports demos such as Muay Thai (kick boxing) and Takraw, Thai children's games, and fruit and vegetable carving demos.

pokie

sarNie Hatchling
oh, my god. I thought that new year is on April 13-15? I book the hotel and took those days off so it's really on the 3rd?

dfemc

sarNie Adult
oh, my god. I thought that new year is on April 13-15? I book the hotel and took those days off so it's really on the 3rd?
uhm..pokie, u should call that 1-800 number up there to make sure before u change any plans. i tried calling that number for you to confirm, and it doesn't seem that they speak english. the person who picked up might be a monk and bit confused. but when I said, "Songkran" instead of "Thai New years festival," he goes, "oooh Songkran," and gave me a different number to call: 1-800-321-5553. But if u speak thai, maybe you could find out thru the other number in the above posting too. i'm trying to find out myself, because i might bring my gramps by.

EDIT: i'm on the phone with them right now, and they don't understand me...someone call please.

it took them 10 mins to tell me it's on Apr. 13-15th, but i'm not sure they understand me correctly.

pokie

sarNie Hatchling
uhm..pokie, u should call that 1-800 number up there to make sure before u change any plans. i tried calling that number for you to confirm, and it doesn't seem that they speak english. the person who picked up might be a monk and bit confused. but when I said, "Songkran" instead of "Thai New years festival," he goes, "oooh Songkran," and gave me a different number to call: 1-800-321-5553. But if u speak thai, maybe you could find out thru the other number in the above posting too. i'm trying to find out myself, because i might bring my gramps by.

EDIT: i'm on the phone with them right now, and they don't understand me...someone call please.

it took them 10 mins to tell me it's on Apr. 13-15th, but i'm not sure they understand me correctly.
Thanks.....I'm at work right now and when I get home, I will get my mom to call to confirm the date. I can understand but doesn't speak Thai that well.

sandyc

sarNie Juvenile
ok...i think the festival is after these two event...
I'll keep you guys posted..

CSULB Cambodian Student Society’s 23rd Annual Cultural Show
“Descendents of Angkor”
7pm
CSULB Carpenter Performing Arts Center, 6200 Atheron St, Long Beach, CA
Admission: $5.00; Parking: $5.00

Saturday, April 7th
3rd Annual Cambodian New Year Parade
Hosted by CAM-CC, Long Beach, CA
Interfaith ceremony at 9:30am, proceeding of parade on Anaheim Street and Junipero, multicultural celebration from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm at MacArthur Park, 1321 East Anaheim Street.
Contact: Nancy Prerk - (562) 607-9261, e-mail: nancy@cam-cc.org

pokie

sarNie Hatchling
I heard that there will be another festival on the 13-15 too. My mom saw it on the thai channel. They say that there will be another festival on the 13-15.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
i wish i can go.. but i can't... whoever is going.. please take some pics & share them with us. :)

sandyc

sarNie Juvenile
this is when they were walking right pass me...like not even a foot away....Oh was so hot in person....

annea

sarNie Adult
yep oh was so cute when he walked up the stage with his shades on...and araya is pretty in person....i cant believe i was there
the festival was big and fun but omg i was getting sun burn sitting there waiting for them to come out.....thank god i got the fifth row seat....
i think you could watch it at iptv cause i saw then recording it....

it was fun.....took pics of them had a chance to walk after them (hehehhe) was so close to them ( side by side) and omg.....cant believe myself i went up to araya and tap on her shoulder instead of calling her name...hhehehehe

annea

sarNie Adult
well this is some of my pic.....i have more but too lazy to upload...if i'm not lazy i'll try to upload more...

oh was forever smiling...how nice

heres araya with no smile on........she was actually taking the pic with someone......

wow look at this one shes smiling......hehehe

another one!