Independent Study

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Has anyone taken Independent Study before...if so please share your thoughts...I'm deciding if i want to take an independent study class or not...I've never taken one before and so i want to know what it's like.

cecilia

Staff member
i don't trust myself with independent study ..
i prefer going in for classes even if i hate lecture.

what kind of independent study? -- b/c it could all depend too.

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Psychology: Human Sexuality...I need a Psychology or Sociology class and some other classes for a transfer to a University next year...Im currently working on my Associates Degree for Medical Assistant and I have a planned layout already of classes I need...so Im tryin to fit these extra classes in.

cecilia

Staff member
ah, for those, i go in for the lectures just b/c there's more inputs in a topic .
i don't' know. my don't' start til next Monday, so i have no clue to help ..
if it's me, i would much prefer to do it in class ;)

judyp

sarNie Adult
If online classes count as independent study, then I've taken a whole semester of online classes. It was only because the drive to the campus was about 1 hr and I wasn't moving for that one semester. I mean, is your schedule really tight? And like Cecilia mentioned, it all really depends on the class as well. I took random classes that I didn't need for my major (I was trying to establish residency), but it turned out pretty well. You actually have to be able to manage not being able to have that interaction you would have in a classroom. It is a bit frustrating at times when you're trying to contact instructors via email or phone. One of my classes, we had to get online every Wednesday or something like that and have a "chat discussion" about certain chapters/topics for that week. As for finals, I only had to take one final on campus and the rest were at home. It is very flexible, but like I said, you don't get that extra "umph".
I've taken Psychology and Sociology--they were both in a big lecture forum hall. With those type of classes, I suggest just taking them in the classroom only because you sometimes need to hear the lecture to have a better grasp of the material. But, you may have a totally different learning style from me, where I need to hear it, see it, and do it.

cecilia

Staff member
^i agree, i'm a visual person as well.
i have to see it to do it ..
at least, that's what i make myself to believe.
its' better to do it together than struggle all semester by myself

and most importantly, i do not trust my study instinct at all, afraid i'll get distract and put off my learning til the very last minutes.. LOl

judyp

sarNie Adult
Yeah, you can easily get distracted and either forget or put off assignments until later. My sister is taking an online class this semester and I've heard her say many times that she forgot that she was in an online class and that she had an assignment due. But if you're on top of things, you shouldn't have a problem with getting assignments done. The only concern I have is whether you'll be able to grasp the material without the lectures.

cecilia

Staff member
^lol. i taking quite alot of reading courses this semester and yes, i hate them reading, driving me nuts.
what's funny is that on the first day, the professor came right in and say that everyone is expect to read the chapter prior to class lectures ..

so much reading .. i feel like giving up at time and that's is why, i can't do self study b/c i'm afraid, i'll put it off putting my money to waste.
if you're like me, better with deadline in person, then i would suggest, go in unless, driving play a big interference.

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
I'm actually pretty good...i can do online classes...I've taken those before...but it's just that i don't really know what independent study classes really are. Because it's not an online class where you have everything online...but you actually go into a classroom or something like that and you study by yourself? because on the schedule they give you a room number. But yeah I don't know I'm really confused...

Well my schedule isn't all that tight...but i just don't really feel like being in class for so long each day. HEHEHE...Im taking 12 credits right now.

judyp

sarNie Adult
I thought Independent Study was basically taking a course outside the classroom setting. I thought everything is the same, you have a textbook, syllabus, assignments, etc. and depending on the class, you may have to watch videos, do online assignments, etc. I don't know, I may be wrong. I thought online classes were considered Independent Study or maybe very similar.

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
I have no clue either...lolz...I've taken online classes before...Online class sections are marked as either WB or WA...but this independent study is marked as IS. Im sure it's very similar...but why is there a classroom...thats what got to meeh.

judyp

sarNie Adult
I have no clue either...lolz...I've taken online classes before...Online class sections are marked as either WB or WA...but this independent study is marked as IS. Im sure it's very similar...but why is there a classroom...thats what got to meeh.
maybe its just a class where you meet for orientation? try contacting the instructor in advance.

jeanie

sarNie Adult
Hmm maybe you should email them and ask what it is cause I bet different schools define it differently. When I took an independent study course which was required for a semester it was basically doing a research project. Once a week you would meet with your adviser after you got started and update them on what you're doing and ask questions. Then at the end you give a presentation/paper and that's where your grade came from.

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Hmm maybe you should email them and ask what it is cause I bet different schools define it differently. When I took an independent study course which was required for a semester it was basically doing a research project. Once a week you would meet with your adviser after you got started and update them on what you're doing and ask questions. Then at the end you give a presentation/paper and that's where your grade came from.
Aww man if it's what you did...i don't like it at all...i rather be in class...i hate research stuff...! I tried contacting the instructors...but it's still summer for us until the 22nd..and that's when skool starts.

cecilia

Staff member
awe, if that's how you define it, it's no use like you said.
i hate doing researches too or be alone, what's the use of going to a classroom for interdependent study.
might as well, just do online course and be at home ..

if you were to go in a classroom with no teacher, better just go in for lectures Lol

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
awe, if that's how you define it, it's no use like you said.
i hate doing researches too or be alone, what's the use of going to a classroom for interdependent study.
might as well, just do online course and be at home ..

if you were to go in a classroom with no teacher, better just go in for lectures Lol
Seriously huh...!!!