Hu Plig for the new year

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
do you guys hate it when you Hu Plig for the hmong new year?....i hate it alot!! 'cause whenever i need to buy something, it's on the day we hu plig and i can't get that stuff....'cause we can't use money, right?..then finally it's over and the thing i wanted is gone too! :D

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
That's weird. You can't used money on that day? For my family, there's a lil ceremony, then that's it. We don't have to limit ourself to things.

Keori

sarNie Egg
I know it is weird. for us, we only have a small one were you just simply walk around the...string?? for a numbers of time. and than that's it.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
If you can't attend the time they've walk around the string "Hu Plig" for the new year, just make your parents take one of your clothing (I prefer a shirt). Put it in a bag, and while ur parents walk around the string they can hold onto your piece of clothing (which the clothing represent urself, so your attending it in a way). And while their doing that you can go shopping and go with ur usual routine.

My grandpa and his side of the family are mostly shamans, so i'm used to these kind of things. When I was young, I used to attend alot of ceremony when they "Ua Neeg" and "Ua Plig" it was fun, watching the Shaman jumps, I wonder what they see behind the cloth that covers their face. I'm not stuck on one religion so it doesn't bother me about god or ghost, I'm very supersitious, believe in anything.

LidoLynn

ThE GrEaT gReAt LyNn!!
that's weird too....we can still use money when my family do that thing..

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
i guess it depends on some family if they can or can't use money while they're doing these thing....but my family, every year when we hu plig for the new year, we can never use money...

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Okay just got information on why some can't use money and some can. There's two different kind of Hu Plig.

First one, the walking around/underneath string. For this one you can use money.

Second one, personal one, where there's a shaman comes to your house, does a lil ritual, and there's a piece of paper money (Ntawm Nyiaj Ntawm Kub). After the chicken is sacrifice they take the blood from the chicken and some feathers from it and glue it onto the Paper Money, once the Paper Money is done it is place in the living room somewhere. If you do this one, you can't used money for at least 3 days.

I hope I didn't confused you all.

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
I don't know if I hate it...but after the hu plig stuff...I feel blessed and like my spirit is in good health...I appreciate the fact that the Shamans go through all that stuff to bring your family health and luck...look at it on a positive side...

ahs

sarNie Egg
I think it depends on the family...because we do the second one so we can't spend money. As for hating it, definitely no, but it is annoying that for the last 3 years we have hu plig on thanksgiving which makes it hard to hit the stores for shopping.

Kinda a miss the old days...now everyone's rushing to get it over with. It use to be that for a whole week...we would get to hop from one house to another and eat. It used to be a big deal. Every since my grandpa passed away...we must hire a shaman, he's great... but he's always in a hurry...and often does not stay very long at all.

FrozenPearl

sarNie Egg
Pepper_UHT said:
do you guys hate it when you Hu Plig for the hmong new year?....i hate it alot!! 'cause whenever i need to buy something, it's on the day we hu plig and i can't get that stuff....'cause we can't use money, right?..then finally it's over and the thing i wanted is gone too! :D
[post="50132"][/post]​

I don't know why you people hated your own cluture which was used century ago. If you want you can use money after that it's your choice of belief. But what I was told or know is that if you use money to buy stuffs after that, meant that you will be a spender or for that year, does not matter how hard you work, you ain't saving any money.

It's not that long, it's only 3 days. After that you can do whatever you want. It's a cluture things, which our ancestor were used for century and I don't know why we younger age does not follow our ancestor cluture.

Here are 3 reasons we need to learn from own people!

1) A good life is your culture. Your language, your music, the ceremonies, the traditions, the dress. All of that is so vitally important that you must keep it alive. In fact it is the uniqueness of all of us that when blended together brings vitality, energy, power, influence, uniqueness and rightness to the world.

2) Your religion, your spirituality. It helps to form the foundation of the family that builds the nation. And make sure you study, practice and teach. Don't be careless about the spiritual part of your nature, it's what makes us who we are, different from animal, dogs, cats, birds and mice. Spirituality.

3) Your family and the inner circle. Invest in them and they'll invest in you. Inspire them and they'll inspire you. With your inner circle take care of the details.

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
i know what you mean. i didn't say i hate our culture for doing this for century...i'm just saying that i hate it whenever this happen i always end up wanting to buy something good that's on sale.....i didn't meant to say i hate our culture for doing this thing.... <_<