How often do you speak Hmong?

moonfaerrie

sarNie Hatchling
Well, I was just wondering how often you guys speak Hmong (or your native language)? Well, like I said before, I used to be ashamed of Hmong when I was younger and didn't speak Hmong much, mostly to elders. But now, I speak Hmong more than English. Most of my family members also speak Hmong. We speak Hmong like 80% at home. I speak to my Hmong friends in hmong, evven if they don't talk to me in Hmong. Most of my Hmong friends didn't speak Hmong eitehr, but after haning with me, they all speak Hmong, however, I haven't hung out with many of them for a while and I don't know if they're still speaking in Hmong. I think that we should all speak Hong and teach our younger generations the same thing. My little sister used to speak Hmong, but I left home for school for one year and when i got back, I talked to her in hmong and she be going like, "I don't know what you're talking about. I don't understand Hmong." I was like, "Shut up, you b****. Koj twb paub hais lus Hmoob before kuv mus tam sim no koj ua txwj tsis paub ib pliag kuv xa nrig rau koj." LOL, she's talking more Hmong now, but still not alot. I'm working on her. well, now tell me how often you and your family speak Hmong.

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
for me, i spoke 90% hmong at home and 10% english at home....but at school, it's about the same 50/50.....

sunny_gyrl

dee oNe aNd oNlee sUnNy!!!
well to tell ya the truth i hmOng but can't reallie speak my hmOng...imma have to say 20% hmOng and 80% english........i gUEss hmOng schOol didn't reallie H E L P at all....

Chewy

Natty's #1 FAN!
I want to keep my Hmong so I speak as much Hmong as possible...limited my English...only use when its needed...i think it's a good thing to have because you go to apply for a job you have more qualification over that job then someone who only know 1 language.... :) ...

As for me I alwaise spoke hmong at home, but since i moved the hmong family i am staying with dont understand much hmong themselves and its hard so i stuck to english but i get a few hmong words out there... :D

jekki2chipo

sarNie Hatchling
hMm, i guess everyone beats me out.

I speak hmong about 1% of the time and the other 99% it's English.

Reasons why, our whole family speaks mainly english about 85% of the time we're all speaking english. We only speak Hmong when necessary which is like words we can't say in english or translate into english.

Sunny and Pze you guys know who i sound in hmong, so white huh.

Love you guys.

ceda_lee

sarNie OldFart
I used to speak a lot of Hmong when I was still living at home, but now that I'm away from home...I speak English about 99% of the time...thats cause I live in a white dominated city...2 of my roommates are Hmong so we try to talk in Hmong sometimes...I'm FLUENT in Hmong though...unlike many people, I don't pretend not to speak Hmong...

calla

sarNie Adult
hmmm, i always speak Hmong at home and to Hmong people....lolz, because i don't like to speak English with Hmong people.....its weird i means since we are Hmong so why don't just talk in Hmong with eachother.
i only speak English at school or unless the people who talking to me are White or other race.

but these days most of young Hmong people speak Hmong mix with English..me too...lolz :D

anti-hmong

sarNie Hatchling
more often than not...haha...i can speak, write, and read fluently...from the screen name...ppl might assume that i'm very americanized but i've been told that i'm very hmongish...errrrrrrrrr...lol...

Wai Wai Noodles

Egg Drop Soup ( ~ _ * )
I am fluent in my native language, but yeah I do tend to mix it with english. I have also noticed that some people responds to the elders in english when the statement made or questions asked were in their native language. I find that very disturbing especially when you know that particular person is capable but just not willingly want to respond in their native language. However, my previous statement only apply toward those Pretenders and not those who actually cant speak their native language, that's a whole different story.

1-lUv3-y0u

Sticky Rice
I speak hmong 50/50 at home and 50/50 at school so its the same I'm pretty good wiht my hmong comapred to my friends lol

moonfaerrie

sarNie Hatchling
I have this one friend. Like I said, most of my Hmong friends don't speak Hmong until they started hanging out with me. But anyways, my friend started talking in Hmong for while, and found out he's actually way better at Hmong than he thought he was. but one day, he came over and my grandma was home. He's so gay, he said, "Wassup?" to my grandma. My grandma don't unitl Enlgish at all except "yes" and "no". So she just looked at him, laughed and said, "No". I was like, "gee you're acting like my grandma understands English or that you don't know how to speak Hmong". He's like, I don't know, I was nervous around her, i forgot, I just said the first thing that comes to my mind. At least I said something nice." It was so funny. every time I see him, I still bring that up.

cuti3gurl

sarNie Egg
this is seriously sad for me haha....i barely speak hmong...unless i do it just to annoy people ahah....for me i would say 30% hmong 70% english ahha

Dorky_Thao

sarNie Egg
i talk in both...doesn't matter if i'm at home or not....i only speak hmong whenever i'm talking to my mom..cause she won't understand english...

so i'm more or a hmonglish person...

hamerica

sarNie Hatchling
I speak mostly Hmong at home with little mix words of English. As for school it depends on who I am speaking to because if that person is Hmong then I just speak Hmong to him or her.

Like moonfaerrie said, Some of friends learned Hmong when they around me. When I started my soccer team a lot of my girls didn't know how to speak Hmong that well but after couple of years it changed.

moonfaerrie

sarNie Hatchling
yeah to hamerica. we are influencing some of our hmong people back to speaking hmong. how many of you can read and write the modern hmong words? i'm trying to teach my brotehrs and sister but they don't seem to get it at all. i'm not a very good teacher to them though. i don't know, hmong has always been the easiest language to me. i only went to class 3 days, one hour each day adn i understand it just like that. i took it back when i was only 7 years old. my parents didn't want me to take it cause they said i'm going to america, i don't need to learn hmong, so i sneak out to go to classes and only went three times. i was better than the ones who went to classes everyday, back then, better grades. i was so proud of me. yup, hmong is the easiest lanuage i have ever learned. but like i said, the siblings don't seem to cathc on to it at all.